Thread: Restless Warmonger?

Default Restless Warmonger?

How to prevent this trait? Does this occur only to a warmonger that is a governor of a city over a long period? What if he isn't the governor but is staying in a city because he is old and retired can he still get this trait? If one of my FM do get this trait can it be reversed by fighting a battle?

thanks and Cheers!
    Current Campaigns

"tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento"—"Roman, remember by your strength to rule the Earth's peoples!"

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: Restless Warmonger?

Go forth and conquer. Or at least fight some random stacks.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valion View Post
    How to prevent this trait? Does this occur only to a warmonger that is a governor of a city over a long period? What if he isn't the governor but is staying in a city because he is old and retired can he still get this trait? If one of my FM do get this trait can it be reversed by fighting a battle?

thanks and Cheers!
    Kill the one true barbarian
    What faction are you playing btw?
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 08-03-2009 at 13:42.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Kill the one true barbarian
    What faction are you playing btw?
    You can see under his signature.

Vigorous character gets warmonger traits after fighting several battles or more. When he stop fighting battles either staying in a settlement or not he will get the restless warmonger. To reverse it or to prevent it...just let him fight and fight until he dies.
    - REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

- a very generous bribe from Yarema

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Restless Warmonger huh? A man who can't think of anything else but butchering, a barbaric mind? A total brute?

Is it unique?

Na, happens all the time when you play as the Romans

Do what chenkai says...
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

I don't think it can be reversed. But, if it is only one general we're talking about, you should ask yourself: why do you want a restless warmonger to govern a city? He has probably fought quite a few battles and thereby gained traits with morale bonusses and potentially even looting-bonusses. The management bonusses he gives you, are probably overpassed by his military bonusses.

If I have a general that has clearly developped his skills as a general (command stars, morale bonusses, looting bonusses,...), I keep him in the field. It's not like you're likely to have an abundance of these generals.

Good luck with him,

Andy
    from plutoboyz

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Take a page from the Diadochi. Those guys were falling in battle in their late 70s and early 80s.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Restless Warmongers: Putting the War back in Warrior Aristocrat since 3rd century BC.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Restless Warmongers: Putting the War back in Warrior Aristocrat since 3rd century BC.
    Possibly a good demotivator?

Don't worry, I got a few roman generals with that trait (or get restless sleeper....)
    Last edited by Alsatia; 08-03-2009 at 22:38.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

If you can find a suitably poignant screenshot of some octogenarian specimen, sure.

Im sure Ive had one of tehse turn into a Sated Warmonger before now, but he had Seen the Elephant by that stage...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    If you can find a suitably poignant screenshot of some octogenarian specimen, sure.

John Mccain

Old Wolverine vs Old Hulk
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 08-04-2009 at 00:55.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Wolverine vs Old Hulk
    You sure that's not McCain vs. Palin?

And yeah, I think Restless Warmonger is pretty much an opposite of Uncomfortable Supervisor, both seem to go away as long as you do what the FM wants, although they do keep coming back if you stop him fighting/governing.

I got this trait for one of the Scipios sometime in the 230's.

At first i thought it a drag as he started off with some good influence and managment...then i got to thinking it was a blessing in disguise.

I started him on his military career around 20 taking over an auxilia legion in Celt-Iberia so its commander could take over the Roman army since that commander was nearing retirement age(50).Five years later that commander was ready to retire and i was lost finding someone age appropriate,and without too many flaws,to take it over.So i ended up giving command to him at age 28.

While campaining along the Dalmation coast he picked up this trait and i was mad..He could take a city without sacking and had enough good governance qualities that it would remain calm during its transition period.What a jip!

Not so fast..Because of his age,military trait bonuses,and combat experience this trait has made him into a wrecking machine.He zips through a region smashing all in his path.Once the troops under his command are needed to garrison a city,or cant keep up,he leaves the army hiring mercenaries and continues ahead until they catch up and starts the process all over again.

I'll probably get another good 20 years service out of him which is nice since its so hard to come by good generals as the romans.

Well the Romans were notoriously famous for their thirst for power so indeed they developed more warmongers than others

Anyway Here are my current 3 warmongers:

I find their Management and Influence skills a waste if i don't use them, Anyway it seems i can prevent for some time the restless warmonger if i occasionally move my FM's around the province they govern or reside in. For example Blasio has been governing Arretium for 5 years now without gaining Restless warmonger trait since he retired from the conquest of northern Italy, Plus i want him to govern Roma when Dentatus dies , Something of a Hierarchy i like to follow. As for Cotta the reason i decided to make him a General was because the son of Blasio is almost 20 and will be replacing his post as governor having gained 7 management skills in Roma. Scipio on the other hand just gained those management skills even when in the field, I can't remember him spending more than a turn in a city.

I think being a warmonger doesn't mean governing a city is impossible, even when they can't get the Attuned Governor or Supervisor traits their are always other management traits they can get one of which being very common is Utterly Pragmatic.
    Current Campaigns

"tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento"—"Roman, remember by your strength to rule the Earth's peoples!"

There is probably also a link to religion?
    I´ve noticed that war-like gods and there workshippers often become more aggressive or unconfortable if they govern too long. Maybe you check your temples and there believes.
    Last edited by Tartaros; 08-05-2009 at 09:50.

Ok, I know it's an old thread, but I saw no need to start a new one for something that's already discussed.

Is there a cure for this menace?
    I'm considering quitting the campaign because my generals at the front get the stupid "restless warmongering" trait so they can't be in the cities they just conqured. I thought a battle would give you a year or at least a few turns of respite but that does not appear to be the case as one of them just fought off a siege andother a siege the turn before and a third had been exhausted from running about fighting and took a breather inside a town and became restless by the time he lost his fatigue. I'm curious how you can be restless and sated warmongerer at the same time?

Edit: the one taking a break didn't rest till rested, he apparently only went from exhausted to wearied in the city he conqured before becomming restless... I seriously hope this trait gets a good looking over for EBII, since it has such a huge impact on the character as in go from your best general to someone you can only use for hunting rebels in the countryside in one swift blow.
    Last edited by Alrik; 03-11-2011 at 13:10.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

You can remove the trait via the console, which is what I've done whenever this has occurred. What's most annoying is that it's random. You can have one FM who fights ten battles and doesn't get it, then another who does on his first battle.

It's the opposite to Supervisor. Which is equally frustrating.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 03-11-2011 at 13:12.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I'm not much for dabbeling in the console other than to turn of the fog to take a screenshot.

As for the trait, I take it that you're saying that there's been a brainfart when the programing was done and that warmonger and supervisor should have been opposites, just as sated and restless warmonger should have been?
    That would have made a whole lot more sense.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik View Post
    I'm not much for dabbeling in the console other than to turn of the fog to take a screenshot.

As for the trait, I take it that you're saying that there's been a brainfart when the programing was done and that warmonger and supervisor should have been opposites, just as sated and restless warmonger should have been?
    That would have made a whole lot more sense.
    They are opposites. Equally annoying opposites.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR