Poll: Well, how 'bout it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: The Campground

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Campground

So I had some spare time and recently decided designing a format for a mafia game that's a bit new to the .Org. Not sure it will translate well to this forum, but I guess we'll use this thread to gauge interest. Details under the spoiler.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    17 players, 2 mafia, 15 townies. Mafia kill one person per night, can't be their partner. Single lynch every day phase. Game ends when either mafia or town is eliminated. No reveals upon death, no third factions.

Oh yeah, there will be a cool story and stuff too. I'm good at that.

You in?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Campground

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    You in?
    I in!
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I'm in. I think you should think of a cool name for your brand new format. Something that makes me think of ice cream would be good.

I in.

I spy the evil peoples Senior Member Romanic's Avatar

How is this a new format for the ORG, GH? Looks like a standard 17 player game, with no death reveal.

Anyway, I'm interested.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Romanic View Post

How is this a new format for the ORG, GH? Looks like a standard 17 player game, with no death reveal.

Anyway, I'm interested.
    It's vaguely implied that the mafia are unaware of the identity of their partners? Which means they can't even know when their partner is dead?

Ah? - "can't be their partner"

So if a kill fails, they'll figure that person is their partner.

And they will know if their partner is dead, if there's no other night kill for 2 nights in a row.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Umm, I think GH is being ironic, there has been a tendency for role heavy games at the org in recent years and he is hosting a "vanilla game" (see my previous post).

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Umm, I think GH is being ironic, there has been a tendency for role heavy games at the org in recent years and he is hosting a "vanilla game" (see my previous post).
    Yeah, don't chalk it up to anything more than an old codger not being able to understand you youngun's with your fancy roles and elaborate game systems and the whosawhatzitgadgetmajiggers. Now get off my lawn!

But yeah, since Mafia X doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while, I may as well fulfill the vanilla game niche with a small game and of a slightly different writing style.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Thanks for the invite, GH, but I'm afraid this concept is just too experimental for me. I have a feeling it will crash and burn.

I will leave before this ship sinks....

Totally in.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Ah? - "can't be their partner"

So if a kill fails, they'll figure that person is their partner.

And they will know if their partner is dead, if there's no other night kill for 2 nights in a row.
    Strictly speaking, GH hasn't adressed whether there will be bulletproofs. That would be an awesome twist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Strictly speaking, GH hasn't adressed whether there will be bulletproofs. That would be an awesome twist.
    I actually hadn't even considered it (and was about to post something along the lines of "I will beat the fact that games do not need elaborate setups or twists to be special into you for as long as is necessary ") but now that I'm thinking it over the idea of the two mafiosi not knowing each other might work better with the plot I had thought up.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I actually hadn't even considered it (and was about to post something along the lines of "I will beat the fact that games do not need elaborate setups or twists to be special into you for as long as is necessary ") but now that I'm thinking it over the idea of the two mafiosi not knowing each other might work better with the plot I had thought up.

Thoughts? Preferences?
    Standard setup, 2 mafia knowing each other. Why mess with the classic?
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Standard setup, 2 mafia knowing each other. Why mess with the classic?
    Agreed. Although the other idea is worth a shot, another time perhaps...

Isn't three mafia more balanced in a 17 players game?

Blog Entries

I never go by formulae when balancing games. Intuition and experience has worked for me in the past.

If there were reveals after death, then yes.

Games have been won with 40 players and 2 mafia with no reveals on death. Although in those, 2 murders balances the challenge for the scums.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger