Thread: Controlling your army and Hotkeys - including Video

Blog Entries

Default Controlling your army and Hotkeys - including Video

Once your online you will choose your armysetup and than get to the battle.

You probably know about grouping you units, now there are two ways:

1. the easy known way - ctrl + 1-9 to select the group, than you have alt + 1-6 to set a formation
    If you have done this, you can select the groups by just hitting 1-9

There is one problem, it doesn't let you group single units, such as your general who you want to move solo.

2. There are 4 Keys which let you select solo units - F1-F4
    It works same as the hot-keys: select the unit and hit ctrl+F1-F4. Than after you can select the units by just hitting F1-F4.

Here is a small video, how its done:
    Last edited by Kocmoc; 03-19-2011 at 17:51.

Default Re: Controlling your army and Hotkeys - including Video

A question, in STW1 you were able to move a unit , then pressing ALT key and move the unit to another position and the unit will end facing the same direction it was facing at the start position, is this posible in STW2? i havent figured how to...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lLOlBO View Post
    A question, in STW1 you were able to move a unit , then pressing ALT key and move the unit to another position and the unit will end facing the same direction it was facing at the start position, is this posible in STW2? i havent figured how to...
    Till a certain degree.

1. in STW you could select whole units and than make em all run to a spot and changing direction, while keeping formation
    This was done with alt and ctrl + drag

2. today this is still possible, but its different and a bit more complex
    You can do this only, if the army is in "hard formation", in one group as example, than you just right-click somewhere, hold right mouse and move it where you want it.

3. solo units are not able to put on the normal hotkeys, very important. Like mentioned above, you have to use F1-F4

Now to answer your question directly. The best way to do it, is dragging, right click where you want to have the unit, hold right mouse and than spread and turn the way you want.

I found a way , but wow it needs to get used to it.

Actually you use your F1-F4 keys to hotkey your most important groups (Spears, Swords, Missiles, General)

Then group the whole army in a Group , what you mean "Hard Formation" i think, then click and hold RMB on the spot you want to
    place your army , the strange thing is that the Placemente point for your army new position is always the LEFT TOP CORNER of the whole formation, like a RADIUS, the whole formation will be placed rotating around that spot... as i said , you need to get used to it but it fulfills
    the goal to move and face where you want

thanks for infos

Blog Entries

I found a way , but wow it needs to get used to it.

Actually you use your F1-F4 keys to hotkey your most important groups (Spears, Swords, Missiles, General)

Then group the whole army in a Group , what you mean "Hard Formation" i think, then click and hold RMB on the spot you want to
    place your army , the strange thing is that the Placemente point for your army new position is always the LEFT TOP CORNER of the whole formation, like a RADIUS, the whole formation will be placed rotating around that spot... as i said , you need to get used to it but it fulfills
    the goal to move and face where you want

thanks for infos
    I use F-keys for solo units, such as general on F1, i want him solo. I also use my Bow-hero on a F2 key, hes solo too.
    I use hotkeys 1-7 mostly and all 4 F-keys.
    You can watch the video and you see how i setup my groups in this example. Its a very simple army, with not too many different units.

"hard formation" - Example are my 2 cavs in the video. Its done like this:

1. select some units drag em and than hit the ctrl+*
    2. now this group is in "hard formation"

If you select the group and try to drag it, you will get all units in formation. The units keep ranks and positions and you can only chance the direction they look at.
    The other way, where you can change ranks and positions is the normal one:

1. select the units
    2. dont drag anything
    3. hit ctrl+*

now you can select the group and can still spread it max or do it many ranks deep.

I see, thank you, now i know why i was wondering why sometimes i could drag ranks and positions and sometimes doesnt. Very useful indeed. Waiting for more of your videos and tuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    The other way, where you can change ranks and positions is the normal one:

1. select the units
    2. dont drag anything
    3. hit ctrl+*

now you can select the group and can still spread it max or do it many ranks deep.
    I tried this but i can't drag them :S they are always in HARD FORMATION

Blog Entries

I tried this but i can't drag them :S they are always in HARD FORMATION
    oops, i forgot the alt+* keys :D

Sorry, after you grouped the unit, hit alt+2 or alt+3, now it should work. Mostly you want units in one row, so use 2, 3 and 5 mostly.

if a unit is looking to front how i can move the unit in order it looks BACK without rotating the whole unit?
    Last edited by lLOlBO; 03-27-2011 at 20:12.