Thread: Your first Veteran - what now?

Blog Entries

Default Your first Veteran - what now?

Veterans are a new way to customize your army, its nice and spice things up.
    Right now its not perfectly balanced, so you might want to know what it best to take.

The best upgrades are:

1. Attack
    2. Defence
    3. Ammo

Ashi as example, you can upgrade with 2 defence skills and 2 attack skills. Which make those units pretty good.
    Loan sword can have only 1 defence and 2 attack skills.

Note: You dont need to upgrade, you can also have units without a single upgrade. On units like ashis, i just upgrade the attack and defense
    after that I dont use the upgrades. So my units stand there with lvl 6 or 7, but have just 4 upgrades.
    Also, since the enemy just see the flags, but cant know, if this unit is really upgrades, you can fool your enemy.
    You can bring one or two units, without any upgrade, but it shows lvl 6. This might force your enemy to shot this unit and not your upgrades... you can imagine...

Other upgrades are less good and I wouldnt spent any skillpoint on it.
    For archer I see the ammo useful, the extra ammo raise the ammunition by 20, which is pretty much.

As you have to pay for each upgrade and you cant downgrade your units anymore, you have to be carful with it and think before you do something. Especially in the pretty early start of the game while playing with 5k a lot, you will be short on units if you come along with too many vets.

I personal play mostly (5k games) with just 2, max 3 vets, rest are normal units.

Remember. After a battle the vet need a break for one battle.

Tip. While many people love to paint their vets different or give em "crazy" names, I love those colored units of my enemies, its like a big red button where someone written "Please, please shot me!". Best way is, to leave em the same color as your army, so your opponent dont find those units too quick.

How to get the vet you want?

Get you someone who host a game and than you just "skill" the units you want. As example: If you want a missle vet, your partner bring many Monks and you just shoot them. Usually you gain the first 5 lvl really quick. This can be done with any unit.
    Last edited by Kocmoc; 03-23-2011 at 10:15.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your first Veteran - what now?

Given how quick the battles can be, I'm inclined to give my veteran archers an improved rate of fire rather than extra ammo. I'm going to wait a bit before assigning points to my archers and see if I end battles with leftover ammunition or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    Given how quick the battles can be, I'm inclined to give my veteran archers an improved rate of fire rather than extra ammo. I'm going to wait a bit before assigning points to my archers and see if I end battles with leftover ammunition or not.
    Try and test it. From my experience i dont think that fire rate is worth the cash. The only upgrade i would get on my archer is "Ammo".
    If you really upgrade an archer you spent a lot of cash, especially as missles mostly get shot at the start of the battle in a "shotout".

I personal dont use upgraded archers right now, i got a good ugraded gun, thats it. Especially in the early phase of the game, you play a lot with 5k.
    If you use too many vets and upgrades, you will end with very low units. In this phase you have to take care, that you have enough units, mass>class at least till a certain degree.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Try and test it. From my experience i dont think that fire rate is worth the cash. The only upgrade i would get on my archer is "Ammo".
    If you really upgrade an archer you spent a lot of cash, especially as missles mostly get shot at the start of the battle in a "shotout".
    I take it then that you've fought battles where your archers use all their ammunition? I could use some tips on that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    I take it then that you've fought battles where your archers use all their ammunition? I could use some tips on that.
    Well, in most games, also vs pretty new player, people bring some archer. And its like in any other situation of life, if you bought something, you want to use it!
    I played now around 100 games and i cant remember a single one, where my/our opponent didnt came up with some archer.

This said, there is always a shotout, some are quick, than your ammo wont really matter, and some take a longer time.

New player, especially on maps with buildings, tend to get into a defensive position, such as Hills or behind a river.
    They mostly act as defender and this is usually a situation where you have plenty time to shot.

Now, there are options, if you want a quick game and risk something, than you just move it and attack.
    Sometimes it is still very risky, to run into you enemy with sometimes 5-8 archer units, they will rip your melee off....

So you have to work out, to ensure, that they shot out their ammo. You open formation with your archer and move it smart, sometimes you have the option to shot from woods and take very low casualties, sometimes you can shot some units without to get shot back.
    Mostly they wont attack you, so the battle takes some time and if you dont do too bad, you need tons of arrows.

If you look at the cavarcher, this unit costs 750 base and the ammo upgrade raise it to 800. Its worth the money, i dont mind the other uprades, but ammo on this unit is really worth it. It depends on your enemy and there are also maps/fights, where you wont make any use of the extra ammo.

You also want to not waste the archer unit, so my tip is this:

1. If you go with just 1 archer, than upgrades are pointless, the unit will always end in a shotout and lose men quick, this unit probably rout (by get ripped from enemy archer) before it can spent half his ammo.

2. if you go with more archer, this unit should be treaded carful, get it on the left or the right flank, or move it behind the line.
    At least dont place it in the heat of the shotout.

3. I personal dont upgrade my archer at all, i got two archer vets, with the upgrades, but i dont field them. The risk that you cant make the extra money worth anything is very high. It depends a lot on the map, on the amount of cash (5 or 10k), on the unitsizes and on the style you like to play.

A bow-hero can be very useful with upgraded ammo, since you pay already a ton of money for it, the unit get even more valuable, if (there is the "IF") the battle takes long enough and you can spend it. So always keep in mind, that upgrades on units has to pay out, if you cant ensure it or you are unsure, dont use vets.

I personal upgrade my loan sword and ashis in the first place, a loansword with the -10% retainer, goes up to 495 Koku, with the correct retainer, i field loan sword with 17 attack and 5-7 defense. I upgraded my bow hero and my cavarcher, i also have an upgraded gun.

In most cases, I only my ashis and the loan swords, in 10k games i field the bow hero and the cavarcher (depends on the map).