Thread: The Shogun 2: Screenshot thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Default Re: The Shogun 2: Screenshot thread

Finished my first campaign as Mori last night.

Overall impressions are that the campaign is beautiful and challenging. Overall I give it a high grade.

Took a while to re-learn some controls.

My only disappoint was that the AI spammed Ashigaru units once I took Kyoto. I developed my unit production buildings and built balanced armies only to be confronted by stack upon stack upon stack of yari. The big battles to hold Kyoto were not interesting at all, but reminded me of FPS zombie killer games where all I had to do was quickly dispatch an enemy unit and turn to quickly dispatch the next to turn and quickly dispatch the next.

The only difficulty was managing the reinforcement system, which was a real bitch when I had to face three armies simultaneously. My reinforcements were coming from the opposite side of the map, and since I was hunkered up tight to defend against overwhelming numbers my units tended to rout together.

So managing the reinforcement system isn't the ideal interesting battle. Much rather have had 20 pro units (experienced, upgraded, led by a 5 star) to fight with my 20.

That niggle aside, here's a shot of Kyoto and some agents. Graphically, very well presented campaign worthy of its ancestor.

Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

When you take Kyoto you get a flagship, the Nihon Maru. The naval battles are still somewhat of a mystery to me, even after a dozen or so. Getting a crew to board is a little tricky, and if you get boarded you are likely to lose that ship. In the end I found that there is safety in numbers. I got lucky and caught a Chosokabe army being carried by their fleet, sunk the fleet and the army with it. I learned from their misfortune and had troop transports well supported. The Trade Ship operation is somewhat symbolic, but it works. Developing the foreign trade nodes is essential. I tended to scupper ships I captured, they always seemed to have lower stats than my homegrown boats.

Last edited by ichi; 03-22-2011 at 22:21.

CoH

I was able to complete the campaign with my second Daimyo, my first having lived into his 50s. Honour is essential, seemed to be the most important stat in the game. When Geisha appear they present a real threat to family members. Metsuke are somewhat overpowered, very effective against ninja, geisha, other metsuke.

CoH

Kanesue is the Daimyo's brother, and is the point of teh spear for most military operations. Appointing the right people as commissioners and using them appropriately seemed to help make things work better. I kept Kanesue busy killing for more than 20 years. A geisha stabbed him and he spent some time recovering from the wound, but otherwise he was on the march or defending the frontier.

CoH

As Shogun you get the Great Guard, a hardcore cavalry unit that I found to be quite effective. Get this unit around the backside and charge the rear of an enemy unit that is under fire from flaming arrows and the entire flank will collapse.

In the Battle of Kyoto, where Kanesue fought 7400 men from Uesugi, Chosokabe, and Hatano with 2300, this unit made the difference with a charge from ambush, first to remove a bow unit then to pound the wavering end of the enemy line. The subsequent rout gave my well-battered remaining units time to regroup and rest while reinforcements arrived from across the map, just in time for the last wave of Uesugi.

Cavalry units move very quickly. The units on the field all seem to move much quicker than I remember any movement from the original, but cavalry units haul ass.

Last edited by ichi; 03-22-2011 at 22:24.

CoH

Victory for the Shimazu

some stats

my full rank metsuke

my finances

My Daimyo

his father lived to bout 60ish only just died a few years b4 camp ended while his father lived he leveld to max lv and conqoured many territories for me.

my clan

i was going to post a pic of my full rank assassin but he died lol
    Last edited by knoddy; 03-23-2011 at 03:22.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Now that's more like it! Great screens guys

Keep 'em coming, by all means.