Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Played Any Classic Battles Yet?

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default Played Any Classic Battles Yet?

Have any of you tried, or even been able to try any Classic Battles yet?

Is anyone finding people to play with there?

I am interested in the Classic mode for competition purposes.

HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Default Re: Played Any Classic Battles Yet?

Master Tomi,

Yes we have played a few classic battles but 3v3 are buggy. Most of the time someone drops and its hard to setup games right now. We were successful in setting up 3v3 matches thru invites only. When open games were hosted we rarely had peeps join, maybe something to do with players being able to see games...I know I rarely see any.
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

The problem is the lack of an International Foyer/Lobby.

As the game is at present unless you are logged in to a Clan Chat room you cannot link up with people you know.
    Even this restricts you to your dedicated clan players.

All the people on your Friends list do not show in Foyer or in Game List battle setups.

I have no idea Tomisama how you would be able to set up and run competitions.

As I understood it the Classic Battle mode was 'supposed' to allow you to play MP the way you did in other TW games.
    (Look for/host a game by choice or name, join and play. That was so easy to do.)
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan View Post
    The problem is the lack of an International Foyer/Lobby.

As the game is at present unless you are logged in to a Clan Chat room you cannot link up with people you know.
    Even this restricts you to your dedicated clan players.

All the people on your Friends list do not show in Foyer or in Game List battle setups.

I have no idea Tomisama how you would be able to set up and run competitions.

As I understood it the Classic Battle mode was 'supposed' to allow you to play MP the way you did in other TW games.
    (Look for/host a game by choice or name, join and play. That was so easy to do.)
    Yes, I made a tread about this problem. All you can do is hosting games and invite people with steam, thats the only way to get teambattles going right now.
    Unless you want to play for the ladder, than you have to play via MM.

The classic model will have a hard time, i doubt many will use it!

The Puppet King Senior Member AggonyKing's Avatar

Tomi today is my last final then off to vacations ^_^ so look for me after today if you want to try out classic mode extensively. I'll grab a few Aggs by the ear if we need guinea pigs.

"Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare."
    Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one.

Well with the Clan Wars Competition, all Matches are scheduled by the participant Teams days in advance, with Steam being the major method of summoning players from both Teams for Battle when they meet.

So although I believe that the current visibility problem will soon be fixed, the limitation of "invitation" would not present a problem at all..

We do always fight 3v3, and that may still need some attention, but this may also be solved by the above convention of "invitation" only.

Guess what I am really asking is about the Classic Battle mode its self.

Checking the Classic Battle box provides a set of nine game-clan choices with all units and their selectable upgrades available to all players (believe all are the same).

All of the Map Battle upgrades for Generals, Unlocks, Retainers, are gone.

What is left is very close to the format we had in the original Shogun.

With the Map and Leaderboard competitions in-game (so to speak), my thought was to make the Classic Battle mode the true battleground for community competitions (at least the CWC).

Player to player balance is my main reason for looking in this direction.

Thoughts?

Knowledge?

Tests anyone has made (I am very limited time wise atm).
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-23-2011 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyKing View Post
    Tomi today is my last final then off to vacations ^_^ so look for me after today if you want to try out classic mode extensively. I'll grab a few Aggs by the ear if we need guinea pigs.
    Thanks King

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

With the Map and Leaderboard competitions in-game (so to speak), my thought was to make the Classic Battle mode the true battleground for community competitions (at least the CWC).
    That's the way to go.

From what I have heard it should work exactly like you are envisaging, but I have not tried it myself.
    Alas, the time limitiation (due to real life) is affecting me, too. But I'll be happy to help and support whenever I can.

OK, I gave the Classical Battle a try yesterday.

Have to say that it is still very buggy.
    One thing that happened was that when I tried to choose the Oda clan, it started circeling through all clans on the set up screed. Had to quit and host again.
    Another thing was that I could not set up an army. In the set up screen, when I selected the general, the "add to army" button was still dark. When I went back one step and selected a new map and went back in again it worked. This effect was reproducible (at least twice).
    Did not get as far as to play, since no player joined (and I had no time to wait for one).

On the plus side : it looks very nice if it works as intended. You can select all units, can give them honour upgrades, can easily change the number of players without having to re-host, can add up to 6 spectators.

Very nice, I think if they fix the bugs, it could be what we are looking for.
    But fix the bugs they must.
    Last edited by Nigel; 03-24-2011 at 20:34.

we tried classic mode yesterday in an in-house game. One thing I was immediately disappointed about was not being able to add a spectator spot.

As far as gameplay, there's no loan swords which means you can bring mor samurai based builds. The gen unit costs a lot for the crappy bonus and abilities that you get with it! The game lasted way longer than on conquest mode. Seems like morale is higher or something and the units lasted longer. I'll upload the replay if anyone wants to see, was a good game :)

we tried classic mode yesterday in an in-house game. One thing I was immediately disappointed about was not being able to add a spectator spot.

As far as gameplay, there's no loan swords which means you can bring mor samurai based builds. The gen unit costs a lot for the crappy bonus and abilities that you get with it! The game lasted way longer than on conquest mode. Seems like morale is higher or something and the units lasted longer. I'll upload the replay if anyone wants to see, was a good game :)
    This sounds promising, the avatar builds whilst fun are annoying due to cost, on medium funds you tend to have predominantly Ashi armies,which isnt like it was in the original, its also going to be very hard to implement fair rules for tournaments using Avatars.

Having more of the higher graded units and longer battles in classic mode makes it more attractive now tbh.
    Last edited by Sp00n; 03-25-2011 at 18:01.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

the prices are definitely fixed in classic mode. I still think the gen unit costs is a little high but you can easily field a nice big army with samurai inf on med funds. This is probably why the game lasts longer too as you don't have a billion ashi units running through the field, but more professional units. Your general also has rally, inspire, and stand & fight by default. The last one is a huge morale booster.

All the units also have all their abilities unlocked. Matchlocks have rapid fire, bows fire arrows, etc.

Tried it and wasent very impressed tbh, too early to form a full opinion but the normal mode is so much more interesting than classic for the combos u can explore with armies.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

The Clasic Battle provides nine levels of upgrade for each unit, raising attack, defence, and morale, to suit the battle you are fighting at the time.

I think that you may actully get more possible cominations with Classic than with Avatar games.

If you don't see the +/- upgrade selectors, you are in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-27-2011 at 03:08.

Managed to play one last night. It was really fun. And then it crashed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    Tried it and wasent very impressed tbh, too early to form a full opinion but the normal mode is so much more interesting than classic for the combos u can explore with armies.
    Yes, the normal mode provides a lot more fun, vets are a nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Yes, the normal mode provides a lot more fun, vets are a nice thing.
    Once you get to the top and everybody has access to the same units, it is the same as playing the Classic Battle mode.

Only the Classic Battle mode has nine levels of directly selectable upgrades for each unit, so you can fine tune your army before each battle.

Enjoy the Avatar games, conquer the Map, headline the Leaderboard, devastate all of the Battle List games you can make or take; and then when you want to really test your metal head to head and prove you are truly the best, come to the Classic Battles mode.

That’s ma story, and I'm a stickn to it
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-27-2011 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    Once you get to the top and everybody has access to the same units, it is the same as playing the Classic Battle mode.

Only the Classic Battle mode has nine levels of directly selectable upgrades for each unit, so you can fine tune your army before each battle.

Enjoy the Avatar games, conquer the Map, headline the Leaderboard, devastate all of the Battle List games you can make or take; and then when you want to really test your metal head to head and prove you are truly the best, come to the Classic Battles mode.

That’s ma story, and I'm a stickn to it
    Its more fun yes, but its also almost impossible to have players on a similar level playing field even at level 10 each person will have different veterans at different levels, it still rewards the player who plays more often due to the Vet Upgrades and Clan Upgrades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00n View Post
    Its more fun yes, but its also almost impossible to have players on a similar level playing field even at level 10 each person will have different veterans at different levels, it still rewards the player who plays more often due to the Vet Upgrades and Clan Upgrades.
    Well, we had that last time in game already, i will explain it again.

Vets. You just host a game and than lvl your vets by killing your opponent. I never would lvl me vets in normal games, this takes too long and is pointless.
    Missles are quicker than melee, but its pretty easy really, this has nothing to do with more playtime.

The clantokens, same as above, set up game, wait 3 min and rout it.... this are about 15-20 tokens a hour...

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Well, we had that last time in game already, i will explain it again.

Vets. You just host a game and than lvl your vets by killing your opponent. I never would lvl me vets in normal games, this takes too long and is pointless.
    Missles are quicker than melee, but its pretty easy really, this has nothing to do with more playtime.

The clantokens, same as above, set up game, wait 3 min and rout it.... this are about 15-20 tokens a hour...
    You don't need to explain it, I know how to level them :), the fact remains whichever way its done you still have unlevel playing fields, even with every player having maxed out his/her vets they still wont be the same from player to player, thats the point and this is without taking retainers into account as well.

With classic mode everyone has the same toolset.
    Last edited by Sp00n; 03-28-2011 at 13:45.

Blog Entries

thats true, but with tweaking around my vets i can build me the army the way i want to play. If im a defensive player, i can get me the units the way i want.
    I really like it and i think that the vets are one of the big steps in the right direction. Classic is one way to play, yes, the problem here is, that the game is bad balanced for classic. Normal play isnt better balanced, but i can counter some of the imbalances with some beefed up vets.

I create a save spot and people (unless 22k) have a hard time to use the advance of the high moral units, who never rout.

People love the Avatar game with its chain of gratifications, and they especially love their Vets.

The Vets are like children you nurture and grow, and if you did good, they take care of you in return by bringing victorys home.

And we don't want anyone to lose out on the experience of rising in power, and seeing their talored units succeed as intended.

That is the purpose of the Avatar game, and nobody wants to take that way from anyone.

In proposing that some competitions use the Classic Battles mode should not threten or interfear with Avatar life, any more than playing the Multiplayer or Singleplayer Campaigns.

These are all different aspects of the game, and all can be explored and enjoyed for their own sakes, without conflict between them.

I think the CWC should move with the times tbh just my opinion NOONE plays classic mode at all.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    I think the CWC should move with the times tbh just my opinion NOONE plays classic mode at all.
    I argee with you Swoosh.

sorry i think classic mode is the only fair mode stw2 has the rest is novelty and favors the already advanced player just like in wow and countless other games .
    don't get me wrong it can be fun and i enjoy this new addition to the game but u cant really get a even match unless u same lvl and even then if u didn't read up and check all the combos and diff specs etc... so for honour there is only classic system imo
    ps: how playable classic mode is right now is a another Q
    Last edited by UglyJun; 03-30-2011 at 08:41.
    UglyJun
    never born never died 黒い山

Tomi we tried classic mode today with some friends and here's how it went:

Attempt 1: 1 player got stuck and couldn't pick an army
    Attemp 2: 1 player couldn't pick a faction
    Attempt 3: Players dropped soon after joining the game
    Attempt 4: We actually made it into the match, everyone dropped 2 mins into it

attempt 5: "**** it! lets go do normal mode"

thats how it went :P

And I assume that the normal game went fine.

They have made "classic" mode games for 11 years, but now this one doesn’t work?

Trying very hard to be positive about this; maybe they will get around to making it useable in the future

Thanks AK!

Tomisawa i suggest the following:

Normal mode for cwc (NOT classic mode)
    No vets allowed!
    All retainers and general skills allowed as normal

Imo at the moment thats going to be the best format along with any unit restrictions u may want to add.

We did alot of such games u know when and peeps loved it.

Buddha

Normal mode would work if it werent for the general costs. unless everyone was level 10 in the tourny.
    I obey the rose.

Honour and Friendship

Tomi we tried classic mode today with some friends and here's how it went:

Attempt 1: 1 player got stuck and couldn't pick an army
    Attemp 2: 1 player couldn't pick a faction
    Attempt 3: Players dropped soon after joining the game
    Attempt 4: We actually made it into the match, everyone dropped 2 mins into it

Make sure you post a description of these problems (without the **** words) at the official forum.
    At the moment they are still in the process of patching the game. In 6 month times I guess they will be hard pressed to release any more patches, so what does not get fixed in the next few months will most likely never get fixed. And what you describe is serious enough to be something they cant ignore, just as long as they have read about it.

After that we will be left with whatever game mode actually works and make the best of it.
    And I am not saying that that is a bad thing, just now we still have the chance that they will get the Classical Mode to work as it should.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast