Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug list?

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Bug list?

Maybe we should create a bug list.

Please post only bugs here (I guess posts to correct posts that are mistaken in their reports are ok too).

A bug is something that is not working as intended (so please, don't use this thread to complain about historical inaccuracies or aspects of the game you simply don't like but are not a bug).

Feel free to report know bugs that you have heard of elsewhere. If at all possible, try not to report bugs here that have already been reported (but a short "I experienced that too" post should be ok, if only to make sure several people encounter the problem).

I'd like to ask the moderators to be ruthlessly ruthless with this thread by deleting anything that does not report a bug or offers a solution.

I'm not going to edit this post to put all reported post in a nice list (well maybe I will, if I'm bored), but the mods are free to edit this post in order to do so.

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Default Re: Bug list?

Three so far:

1. Fleets can become stuck next to trade nodes. They cannot move further are not occupying the node thus no trade revenue. They can be disbanded. Note this is pretty rare.

2. Reinforcements will appear on the battle map and not engage in the battle. This can happen in cases both for and against the player. Only really causes an issue in a defensive siege battle without the battle timer set where the player needs to take advantage of the fortifications, as the reinforcing army will not attack until it's engaged.

3. AI naval invasions - attempting to land troops where it is not possible to do so. In my Shimazu campaign on normal I observed a Shoni fleet carrying a sizeable land force would sail to the cliffs west of Ozumi, hesitate, then sail back out to sea. It repeated this behaviour for twelve turns.

Per #1 - I had a different experience with this. My trade node got attacked and I won and captured one of their vessals. The next turn, my ships looked like they were on the trade node, but the node was grey on the map (meaning unused) and there was no trade dashes coming from it.

I fixed it by building another trade ship and moving it to the trade node. The next turn I was able to move my "ghost fleet" again - but they had magically transported around the island by the trade node - ony 1/4 move away, but still odd. I put them back on the trade node and have had 0 problems since

Also wanted to point out that this is probably the LEASET buggy TW since MTW1.. cheers CA

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Yeah...hi....listen, erm, there's like this fly on my monitor that's bugging me? I mean, I can't see the game properly like this. Sometimes there's more than one, like when I haven't showered for a while. It's ruining the game for me.

Whadya guys recommend? Should I list all of those bugs here? Sometimes there's these green things too.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

^ poopy face ^

Defeats that provide no information on why one was defeated, or any warning that defeat was imminent:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...den-defeat-why
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

1. Trade Nodes. I have seen this too, in one specific case: I got a message that I had lost the trade agreement for Incense (the further North of the two Incense trade nodes, West of Satsuma). When I went to move the fleet there, I could select it but not move it anywhere. A few turns later another clan moved a fleet onto the node and now clicking on the node sometimes brought up their fleet, sometimes mine. Everything else (e.g. trade lanes) showed they now were getting income from the trade route. I was then able to select ships and scupper them, after which things seemed to go back to normal.

4. Grouping Units. Often (about 30% of the time?) when I select a large number of units to group, when I hit the 'g' key the unit card display updates but leaves 1 of the units (always just 1) out of the newly formed group. If I select the group, then the unit that seems to have been left out, then hit 'g' again, the display redraws but now a different unit is left out. When I select the group and move it, the 'missibng' unit seems to move as though it is still in the group, so this looks like a display bug only.

this seems new the game crashes when using special abilities with yor general like stand and fight . when i hit that button now in custom battles i ctd ? this happend 3 times sofar so i keep testing it :(
    before the patch this was ok no crashes ?

ps: only happens in custom battles player v comp
    Last edited by UglyJun; 03-23-2011 at 15:45.
    UglyJun
    never born never died 黒い山

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Sometimes, on the strategy map, units tend to take unnecessary zigzag turns, losing vital movement points.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

[Campaign] Further confirmation on the trade node bug, seen it once myself.

[UI] Mouse scrolling on the campaign map will not work on parts of the screen where there is a UI overlaid. So, if you select a large stack (unit list UI overlay fills the bottom of the screen) you cant mouse scroll down.

[Battles] I somehow got a light cavalry unit stuck on a bridge once when defending a siege. Wouldnt respond to orders until it eventually got routed by a passing yari.

[UI Suggestion] Get rid of the delay between mouse hitting the edge of the screen and starting to scroll the map

[UI Suggestion] Option for faster scrolling in the campaign map.

[UI Suggestion] Clicking in the minimap (campaign) should take you straight there on the main map (or maybe just on doubleclicking if you *really* want to keep the tedious scrolling)

[UI] When the research complete popup occurs, you click on the autoselected tile to take you to the research screen and pick a different art to research. When you exit the research screen, the popup still states that youre going to learn the original autoselected tile. A bit confusing at first (thought it hadnt worked).

[Advisor] Might be nice to have an advisor warn you that you arent actually researching anything at the beginning of the game.

[UI] The event popups at the start of each turn often have a magnifying glass 'goto' icon allowing you to goto that event's location and sort it out. Except often you just get the next popup in your way. Either get rid of the goto icon on the initial popup (keep it when youre clicking on icons in the event list), or handle it in some other way.

[Advisor] keeps telling me to upgrade roads/farms in a province that cant upgrade them due to insufficient tech. Every Turn. Annoying. I only mention it because the advisor is actually pretty good otherwise.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 03-24-2011 at 10:29.

When you turn off the giant unit banners they still appear on reinforcement units. If we turn them off they should ALL be off ALL THE TIME.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Re Trade Fleets:
    I had this problem but there is an easy work around - I've had to do it several times during my last Shimazu campaign.
    Just save the game then immediately load it - the trade fleet will have moved to an adjacent 'square' so just move it back onto the trade node.
    Saves scuttling or building more ships.

Since it happened the first time, I keep looking at the colour of the trade nodes on the mini-map each turn...
    Cheers,
    Dreadnought1

My favourite bug so far is when I fought several successful naval battles off Mikawa province then went and used my fleets to raid the local trade route in two places......only to find I was getting between 500,000 and 780,000 koku per turn - later on it was raking in over a million per turn. Not bad work if you can get it!!!

Saving and reloading didn't fix this so after playing several more turns (and raking in amazing amounts of cash) I restarted the campaign.

Cheers,
    Dreadnought1

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Disappearing Generals and troops

I have had this happen on two seperate occasions. The first time I had a 4 star general with 17 units in a castle. I selected the general and 16 units to attack a small army in the next province. However when the pre-battle screen came up the general and 4 of the 16 units simply evaporated. The first time this happened, I did not spot it and since I had the enemy quite out-numbered anyway, I still won. However after the battle, I could not figure out where my best general had disappeared to.

Fortunately, I saved right before the battle, so I reloaded and was able to repeat what happened. Whether I fought the battle or auto-resolved it, the general and the other 4 units would simply disappear forever. I was able to wait a turn and then attack--thus avoiding the problem.

I have had it happen a 2nd time with a different general, but even though I saved, it did not repeat on the re-load.
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 03-26-2011 at 07:26.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

[Graphical] Routes that units take sometimes look broken for no apparent reason

save replays is 1 more issue it appears it will only save your replay if u use the save replay button right after the battle fineshed, if u dont it wont save :(
    next screen u get battle report with the option to save again that doesent work at least on my computer .......
    UglyJun

I get a CTD when I click on the manually resolve button in a battle start menu during my single player campaign.
    It does not happen always, but it seems that if I have played a battle manually earlier in a "session" then the second battle will cause this 90% of the time.
    So, for me, I have to always save before a battle and then CTD - reload before I can play those battles.

Very annoying, but the game is otherwise so good that I still play it. I would play for longer sessions probably if it worked.

Second bug I saw (or buggish behaviour) was during an ambush. I started surrounding the AI in the battle. The AI basically had a "train" of troops and he kept moving straight forward, even as I had troops on his both flanks and was closing in. I kept firing arrows and surrounding him and the response was to leave his archers to fire back and keep moving with the melee troops. I decimate the archers and then it is an easy win to fight the melee troops later on.

I suppose it could be a problem with priorities of which side to attack first? My troops were on both sides, with roughly equal amount of men. Only some were hidden in a forest, and even they came out quite fast.
    Total war games played so far:
    STW, MTW, MTW:VI, RTW, MTW2, ETW, STW2

New one: Two units/agents on the campaign map can become stuck together if one spawns on top of another. This happened to me with a rebel army spawning on top of a monk and a different rebel army spawning on top of another army. Someone on TWC saw one of his ninjas get stuck with a newly discovered rival ninja. When stuck like this, neither unit can be interacted with.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    New one: Two units/agents on the campaign map can become stuck together if one spawns on top of another. This happened to me with a rebel army spawning on top of a monk and a different rebel army spawning on top of another army. Someone on TWC saw one of his ninjas get stuck with a newly discovered rival ninja. When stuck like this, neither unit can be interacted with.
    "Stuck" as in "can't select"? Or can you select it but it won't respond? If the former, have you tried selecting from the "Agents" list under the mini-map?
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    "Stuck" as in "can't select"? Or can you select it but it won't respond? If the former, have you tried selecting from the "Agents" list under the mini-map?
    The agent can be selected as normal and viewed, but can't be ordered (there is no movement range shown either). The army can't be attacked (mouse pointer doesn't even turn into the sword as usual).

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    The agent can be selected as normal and viewed, but can't be ordered (there is no movement range shown either). The army can't be attacked (mouse pointer doesn't even turn into the sword as usual).
    I can confirm that. I couldn't find a workaround.

Also, something similar seems to happen with fleets. I had a naval battle near a trade spot. There were other (neutral) fleets around. After winning, some captured bune ended up (in one stack) on the same spot as a neighbouring fleet. This captured stack became un-movable (the cursor turns into a red X).

Anyway, these are the only 2 bugs I've encountered. The strange black skies and completly transparent water and coloured flares I experienced when first playing went away after upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers (I own a GeForce 9800). The game seems to be enjoyingly stable (minus a couple of ctd's or so) and a million miles away from the vanilla ETW (that almost drive me insane with crashes).
    Last edited by Vlad Tzepes; 03-30-2011 at 15:49.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Trade fleets seem to stop trading and freeze in situ.
    ========================================
    If it's a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly. - Nick Lappos

Necessity makes even the timid brave. - Sallust

MASSIVE increase in income

1581 my income increased from about 8,000 per turn to 1,500,000 next turn, then 5,500,000 next turn.
    Looking at the economics screen the revenue was coming from commerce raiding.Next turn its forecasting my income at 11,000,000 plus.
    This campaign is Shimazu on H/H
    ... and no I didn't activate a cheat code or mess with the cfg file.

Ok so this phenomenon lasted three turns, was triggered by blockading the AI trade route out of Owari and when I conquered that province it stopped. By that time my bank balance was upwards of 30,000,000.

If I select a unit (usually missile) and just order an attack, sometimes they will stretch out 1 deep and begin to march toward the exit.

This does not happen often, and seems more likely to occur during a siege than a field battle.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    If I select a unit (usually missile) and just order an attack, sometimes they will stretch out 1 deep and begin to march toward the exit.

This does not happen often, and seems more likely to occur during a siege than a field battle.
    Sounds like the target is slightly out of range and it's moving to engage. I think missile units will move until all of their men are in range, so if the front rank is in range and the guys at the back aren't, the front rank will still fire on fire-at-will, but when you order the unit to attack, it'll move to bring all their men in range.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

I got a monk to ferment a rebellion, but the rebel army appeared on top of him, in Aki right next to the castle. So both he and the rebel army got stuck, and it's been 5+ years. I wonder if the rebels will be 'released' when he dies of old age in a decade or so. Can't attack the army or move the monk. Hmm, maybe i should try and bribe them. They haven't lost anyone due to winter attrition.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

i got same exact bug got to wait for old age of your agent hehe
    UglyJun

Two annoying bugs that I continually encounter.

1.) Trade Fleets suddenly stop trading but cannot move. Only way around it is to scupper the fleet and reoccupy the spot (I wait until i have a replacement fleet close enough to keep opportunistic clans away)

2.) Agents that were in my army when I create a vassal get stuck in thevassals castle. Sometimes I can move them out a few turns later other times they seem permanently stuck.

Also not a bug but very annoying, agents cannot disembark with the army from a fleet. This is just silly.

Default Problem with choosing a side in custom battles

As the title of this thread suggests, I've been having some problems with selecting a side in custom battles. Clicking on the 'double arrow' to change sides does nothing - I stay as the attacker (which I believe is the default) no matter what I do. Whilst this isn't much of a problem for field battles, as the AI tends to march towards you no matter what, it's a bit of a hassle for sieges, as I've been wanting to practice my siege defenses. Has anybody else experienced this problem, or know how to fix it?

EDIT: Sigh...and I notice after posting that there is a 'Bug list" thread stickied. I'll go post my problem in there, feel free to disregard the thread.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 04-17-2011 at 07:16.

As I'm feeling lazy, I'll directly copy from my earlier misplaced post:

I've been having some problems with selecting a side in custom battles. Clicking on the 'double arrow' to change sides does nothing - I stay as the attacker (which I believe is the default) no matter what I do. Whilst this isn't much of a problem for field battles, as the AI tends to march towards you no matter what, it's a bit of a hassle for sieges, as I've been wanting to practice my siege defenses. Has anybody else experienced this problem, or know how to fix it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast