Thread: Certain Things That Take You Back/Getting Old

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Certain Things That Take You Back/Getting Old

For me its smells. Music and even photographs really have never "done it" for me as for as nostaliga goes. Granted I'm only 20 but sometimes I'll take a whiff of something and it will transplant me right back to where I was (there is certain perfume that does this without fail, I've never looked up the name, not knowing is more fun)

That leads me to this segway. At 20 I already feel like so much has happend, which don't get me wrong, I like. Adventures are exciting but its strange to think I still have (God willing) 60 more years of life yet and I haven't even plunged into allot of adult terroritory yet. And already life has been very interesting and at times very stressfull.

I guess this why allot of old people don't fear death. When I was a kid death scared me to death. Give me 60 more years of this and I'll be ready to take holliday

How am I supposed to remember everything?

It's times like these I wish Kurki was still here, he always put these kinds of things in perspective
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Certain Things That Take You Back/Getting Old

Movies and places for me.

For movies, it's more of a barometer for how old I am than anything else. For example, there are high school sophomores out there right now that were born after Toy Story - a bastion of my childhood - came out. I was a sophomore when I joined the .Org, which wasn't too long ago. Gah. Also, Fellowship of the Ring came out ten years ago this December. Ten years!!!

Places is more about a personal nostalgia. I'll go somewhere and equate it with something I did in the past, and then memories of that entire event will come back to me. Things I've done and where I've been, all that. More often than not it makes me sad because I've lost contact with a lot of those people over the years. While they fade away, their echoes will always remain.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member Jaguara's Avatar

As for feeling old, nothing does it better than seeing your kids (or your friend's kids) doing things that you felt like you just did yesterday...then you realize that was 20 years ago.

As for remembering...coming back to the ORG has triggered a whole pile of nostalgia. Songs are a big one for me, photographs - of course, and to some degree places - though places change.
    Toda Nebuchadnezzar : Trust Jaguara to come up with the comedy line

"The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance"

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    For me its smells.
    Same here. Sounds as well, although not really music.

When I am near my grans old house, sometimes I get a whiff of the sea air and it takes me back to when I used to stay there after school. Hearing the seaguls has the same effect.

I get really nostalgic about primary school...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    For me its smells. Music and even photographs really have never "done it" for me as for as nostaliga goes. Granted I'm only 20 but sometimes I'll take a whiff of something and it will transplant me right back to where I was (there is certain perfume that does this without fail, I've never looked up the name, not knowing is more fun)

That leads me to this segway. At 20 I already feel like so much has happend, which don't get me wrong, I like. Adventures are exciting but its strange to think I still have (God willing) 60 more years of life yet and I haven't even plunged into allot of adult terroritory yet. And already life has been very interesting and at times very stressfull.

I guess this why allot of old people don't fear death. When I was a kid death scared me to death. Give me 60 more years of this and I'll be ready to take holliday

How am I supposed to remember everything?

It's times like these I wish Kurki was still here, he always put these kinds of things in perspective
    i feel the same way. i am only 18 but i feel like ive lived so much in that time. ive lived so many different places seen so many things its always a pleasant surprise when the world surprises me again.

there are always certain triggers that i feel give me memories. like that new book smell of the paper or certain sounds and tastes

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've been being nostalgic for as long as I can remember. When I was in Primary 2 (about 6 years old), I used to look back to the glory days of Primary 1, when life was so much simpler...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

For me it's the craic at match day ever since I can remember my dad brought me to GAA matches all over the place.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

This.

I'm always disappointed when Dogtanian, Jossy's Giants or something doesn't follow...
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 03-28-2011 at 15:12.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I heard something the other day....

There are children leaving school (16 in the UK) who weren't even born when Toy Story was released.... that made me feel old

That and every time I realise (not a z surely ?!) its not 200 and something its 201 something... the date in years that is...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stuff like Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Bill Nye the Science Guy - TV shows that were pillars of my youth that today's kids hardly know of.

Definitely Toy Story as well. High school kids who weren't even born when it came out?! Madness!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Stuff like Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Bill Nye the Science Guy - TV shows that were pillars of my youth that today's kids hardly know of.

Definitely Toy Story as well. High school kids who weren't even born when it came out?! Madness!

CR
    Sounds a lot like my childhood and I remember this one time being distracted from my homework by Bill Nye talking about erosion.

For me it's when 20 somethings get all weepy and nostalgic.

Anybody wanna play pogs?
    Standing up for the rights of gay spies everywhere.

Blog Entries

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Music. My college days were right at the heart of the "hippie" movement here in the US. Music, drugs, loose sex.....

Certain tunes can take me right back to an exact time and an exact event.

Getting old is as much a frame of mind as it is physical failings. My father is 92 and he still goes to the local YMCA to exercise...I only hope I might live that long, let alone be that active..................
    High Plains Drifter

Playing with my sister's kids reminds me of my innocent days.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 04-04-2011 at 01:34.
    Wooooo!!!

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

One of my Facebook friends posted that The Matrix is 12 years old. Then another one posted that he saw a Delorean w/ antique license plates. Made me feel old. Also, whenever I see commercials for minivans that use songs that were cool when I was growing up. That makes me feel ancient. And I'm not even that old. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post

Getting old is as much a frame of mind as it is physical failings. My father is 92 and he still goes to the local YMCA to exercise...I only hope I might live that long, let alone be that active..................
    I hope this is true for me too. I ran a 5K recently and there was a 78 year old man who finished in the top half of the runners. I hope that's me some day! My parents have been mostly sedentary for a long time and I see how it's impacting them now. I feel like staying physically active so important, especially as we get older.
    Last edited by Scienter; 04-03-2011 at 15:35.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com