Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. TosaInu

Default Re: RIP TosaInu

Can't say I'm very active here, and I've never spoken to Tosa, nor do I know much about him. Still, it is always a terrible thing when someone dies young. And reading what everyone has written here has really touched me.

Rest in peace
    Last edited by Paltmull; 03-30-2011 at 00:28.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Like many who have been here for sometime I can only say that to me Tosa was the Org, he has been here since I arrived and in every dealing with the man I could garner nothing but respect for him. He was always incredibly understanding and words cannot describe how much of a loss he will be to the community and most importantly his family and friends.

RIP TosaInu, you will never ever be forgotten by those of us who had the pleasure of knowing you, however fleeting it was at times.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Like many of you, I'm having a hard time trying to express in words what Tosa has meant to me. If I was ever troubled with an Org problem as a moderator, I always knew I could PM Tosa and work it out. He was supportive, helpful and always seemed to find the positive. ...But these words seem shallow. They can't begin to convey the significance behind them.

I didn't know Tosa that well. Not enough to call him a friend, yet his loss is just as painful as if he was. I went through all the PMs I still have from him and pulled out a few quotes I thought captured the essence of the Tosa that I knew.

Always optimistic:
    2011 just started, looking forward to it.

But luckily RL is a lot about nice things too.

Discussing an issue:
    Thank you for the honest answer.

On appreciation of commitment:
    Don't be afraid to ask about anything and please understand I appreciate members who read once a month, moderators who moderate 5 minutes a day and people who do 50 miles a day.

On concern for the staff ("it" = "forum moderation"):
    It should never become a time drain, that kills. If you are afraid it will eat too much of your real life, please don't do it. Because this place should remain fun for you.

Tosa-ism:
    My computer isn't spicy anymore.

Lastly, when I resigned from the staff towards the end of 2005, I wrote a very difficult PM to Tosa. Though is was five years early, I had a rare chance to say "goodbye" and "thank you". Though there was no finality to it as I was staying on as a regular patron, it was a chance to express my appreciation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I think I covered it all except to thank you for giving me this tremendous opportunity. I have always appreciated the support and clear thinking (Dutch logic!) you have provided to me over the years. I often wonder how you manage to run this site with all the technical and people problems that creep up on you and still maintain your sanity. I appreciate all you do for the Org and its patrons, and I appreciate all you do and did for me. Being part of the staff has meant more to me than my feeble words can express. It has been quite a ride and one I will remember most fondly.

I had expressed a willingness to stay on moderating until an appropriate time. Tosa's response was typical - concern for the individual well being.
    You're 'free' to step down at any time that suits you best Gregoshi.
    I'm going to miss him. It is hard to think of the Org without him, yet that is the daunting task we face.

Goodbye Tosa. Rest easy. May those who held you dear in their hearts find the strength and comfort get past your loss.

Ja mata
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 03-30-2011 at 06:00.
    This space intentionally left blank

Member thankful for this post:

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Pithy aphorisms. Yes, I think that's what I will remember him with most affection. Why use a bunch of words when a few will do?! It could make him frustratingly impenetrable at times, but also gave him a grace and an aura of wisdom on almost any topic, and would often lance even the most angry boil. It could also sometimes make him appear distant, but then something would excite him: I remember him expressing his passion and gratitude for EB in a PM now long since lost. In all the years I'd known him, I don't think he ever used my name. It was always "Hello therother". I never did ask him why. I think it was just his way.

I remember once sending him an enormous PM full of problems and frustrations, explanations and reasoning. He cut right through it to the heart of the matter, and solved it in one sentence. Years later, he'd asked me how I was doing, as we hadn't talked for a few months. I'd replied that things were good, though I was busy. "Busy because of work is, in many cases, a good thing. I'm doing fine too, thank you for asking; it feels like it's summer already." It was February!

He was finally getting back into the Total War games, he seemed really enthused about the new Shogun, but didn't get his copy for quite some time after release. For some reason, together both those things seem to affect me deeply: for all that he'd given to us over the years, it looked as though he was finally getting some payback...

I'd got back in touch just last week, after maybe a year, seeing if he could use a hand. He seemed busy, "there are loads of things to do: administrate org (staff, members, technical) but also work and private." but happy. On Friday he'd written: "I will check and write to you soon." I was waiting for his PM all weekend, but alas it never came. I was looking forward to catching up with him, once the boring practicalities were over, discussing the new game and his plans for the future.

To me, as others here have said, Tosa was the Org. He embodied its spirit and ethos, and made it a home from home for its members. He never claimed ownership (though by any metric he had every right), just custodianship. I see the Org before and after he took over as two separate sites. I'm sure he'd disagree, but that's how I always saw it. He really changed this place, not through dictat but by engendering a welcoming and friendly atmosphere by his personality and actions. He was ever the calming influence, always ready to talk about an issue or give a second chance, never one to rush to judgement, although usually even the most hot headed respected that judgement when it came.

He was a very special man, whose commitment and character touched everyone who knew him, and who would have liked to know him better. A great loss to us all.

Ja mata, TosaInu-sama.
    Last edited by therother; 03-30-2011 at 23:04.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Unhappy Re: RIP TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Unfortunately I am being serious. TosaInu has passed from this earth, hopefully he is now in a better one. If you look at the top of the page you will see the official announcement.
    what? oh God. my condolences to his family and friends. he was a great admin, and a generous man. I remember he helped advise us over at project SYW on how to find hosting, when he found out we were in danger of closing. If only such a favor could be repayed.

I have lit a candle in his honor. I will remember him well, for being the benevolent head admin of the Guild.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-30-2011 at 07:44.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I think everyone should put in their signatures something memorializing Tosa.
    Perhaps, a thought: Brief quotes that might have particular meaning.

For myself, a haiku I once wrote for Tosa when he told a joke and I was just not.... expecting a joke. I think it's appropriate now, even if it is a couple years old.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I was so sure that this was a bad joke of some sort.....I just cannot believe this......He was the Guild....
    My condolences to his family and friends.
    Something ought to be done. Something permanent, like someone suggested changing the name of one of forums or something. That's the least that can be done in his memory here.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

I'd love to see a permanent memorial to Tosa on the main page fwiw, so that every time we log on we are reminded of the man who put so much into this community and wanted nothing in return.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

On behalf of some of Tosa's close ones, I'd like to tell you guys that they are grateful for all the kind words that have been put on his profile page. It means a lot to them to know that so many people loved him so much.

Some of you have asked if there's something they can do. Tosa was not the kind of person who liked to get things or receive gifts in whatever form. He always refused badges, medals, honorific titles or any other way to honor him for his hard work here. He was more the kind of person to give things away or to do things for others, not to have things done for or given to him.

His family suggests that if you want to do or give something, you can make a donation to a leukemia or cancer related charity in his name. He would surely appreciate it more than anything else. As some of you may know, he also loved dogs, so I guess a charity for (abandoned) dogs would be ok as well.

Again, on behalf of his close ones IRL, a well meant thank you for all the kind messages.

Last edited by Andres; 03-30-2011 at 15:44.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

This is a huge shock!

To say he was a class act simply isn't enough (though he was all of that)
    Generous, modest to a fault, efficient (how many times did he rescue the site from internet oddities?; followed by no more than: "The site is back up")

His quiet example will be missed

Thank you TosaInu for giving us a unique place.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Thank you Andres for the information.

I am glad that Tosa's loved ones had the chance to see how much he is loved at the Org.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

And I might add that it was very good, and gracious, to see folks from CA. Thanx gentlemen for giving us all a reason to be here, and for acknowledging one who made "here" a better place.

Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-30-2011 at 17:39.
    High Plains Drifter

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Feels funny with Tosa around already!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by therother View Post
    He was finally getting back into the Total War games, he seemed really enthused about the new Shogun, but didn't get his copy for quite some time after release. For some reason, together both those things seem to affect me deeply: for all that he'd given to us over the years, it looked as though he was finally getting some payback...
    I noticed this as well. He seemed more active the past couple of months, and he was happy with the way Shogun 2 was being received.

TosaInu has been the Org since I became a member. Quiet, polite, enigmatic, always a rock. He didn't post much, but when he did it spoke volumes. I was honored when he asked me to become part of the staff, and was even more impressed by what I saw behind the scenes: his hard work, caring attitude, and calm demeanor. I just wish I knew him outside of this virtual little slice of heaven, he must have been a great guy and will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

Needs more flowers.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Exactly when did TosaInu become forum administrator? Was he alway admin?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NagatsukaShumi View Post
    I'd love to see a permanent memorial to Tosa on the main page fwiw, so that every time we log on we are reminded of the man who put so much into this community and wanted nothing in return.
    Second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    His family suggests that if you want to do or give something, you can make a donation to a leukemia or cancer related charity in his name. He would surely appreciate it more than anything else. As some of you may know, he also loved dogs, so I guess a charity for (abandoned) dogs would be ok as well.
    Not that I can afford a meaningful sum but, in case, should it be in the name Tosa Inu or his real name?
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    Exactly when did TosaInu become forum administrator? Was he alway admin?
    End of August 2002, I believe.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post

Not that I can afford a meaningful sum but, in case, should it be in the name Tosa Inu or his real name?
    I believe that most of us share the similar sentiments which would create enough synergy to deem his name for as long as possible.

What can we do ? Ideas for a concrete The Org spirit ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    I believe that most of us share the similar sentiments which would create enough synergy to deem his name for as long as possible.

What can we do ? Ideas for a concrete The Org spirit ?
    I suggest renaming the Entrance Hall or the Shogun/Shogun 2 SP/MP (either one of them) the TosaInu Hall or something similar.

Perhaps a permanent memorial like others have suggested on the front page would be a very good choice as well.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I suggest renaming the Entrance Hall or the Shogun/Shogun 2 SP/MP (either one of them) the TosaInu Hall or something similar.

Perhaps a permanent memorial like others have suggested on the front page would be a very good choice as well.
    The Entrance Hall would be best in my opinion, traffic to sections dedicated to particular titles wanes in time. The Entrance Hall is where new members comes into the forum, keeping the place going, Tosa seened very keen to revitalise the org in recent weeks, the Entrance Hall seems to me to be the obvious place to remember him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    The Entrance Hall would be best in my opinion, traffic to sections dedicated to particular titles wanes in time. The Entrance Hall is where new members comes into the forum, keeping the place going, Tosa seened very keen to revitalise the org in recent weeks, the Entrance Hall seems to me to be the obvious place to remember him.
    Agreed.

Entrance Hall should be perhaps renamed TosaInu Hall?

Proud

Been to:

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Great loss, Rest in Peace TosaInu.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Agreed.

Entrance Hall should be perhaps renamed TosaInu Hall?
    That would be pretty confusing to new members, though. Perhaps "TosaInu Hall (Entrance Hall)" would work better?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I would actually prefer to rename the Frontroom after Tosa. After all, the members who really know who Tosa was and what he meant for the forum visit the Frontroom more than the Entrance Hall.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've only been on the org for 2 years (blame ATPG ), and for the most part only posted in the Gameroom. That doesn't mean I never talked to Tosa, but it does mean I never talked to him enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Perhaps, a thought: Brief quotes that might have particular meaning.

For myself, a haiku I once wrote for Tosa when he told a joke and I was just not.... expecting a joke. I think it's appropriate now, even if it is a couple years old.
    I have changed my sig to the last VM I got from Tosa, which was less than a week ago. I think he had just gotten S2, too...
    Last edited by Double A; 03-31-2011 at 04:16.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This may be inappropriate, but as human as he seemed through his actions here, he was still a faceless figure of sorts. For those who knew him better, I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, we could get his first name. Or at least a picture. That would make me very happy
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the past month or two, I had the honor of playing a M2TW Kingdoms Crusades hotseat campaign with Tosa and a few other players. I was Jerusalem and he was the Turks, so we didn't have much contact, but he and I did exchange a few PMs. Some of it was about the campaign, some of it was about administrative issues, but he eventually got around to asking me how everything was, which was clearly a common occurrence and a very nice gesture. He and I are both private people so we didn't really get into it that much, but it was still the longest exchange of PMs we had ever had and a nice beginning to something that went beyond a professional correspondence.

Anyways, at a late point in the campaign (which is still ongoing but obviously postponed), he and I had a pretty decent trade relationship going, which was pretty good considering that we were both at war with the others' allies. On one of the turns, my diplomat who I've sent to establish trade relations with the Byzantine Empire disappeared somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of Eastern Anatolia. I was completely flabbergasted as to who could have done it; that diplomat was so far out in the wilderness. It comes out later that there were Turkish assassins crawling through all of Anatolia. Tosa wanted a good trade relationship with me, but the sneaky bastard couldn't have a trade partner establishing diplomatic relations with one of his enemies. I just shook my head and laughed when I found out. The guy could flat-out play, even if Medieval 2 hadn't been one of his traditional games in the series.

I'll really regret not being able to finish that campaign with him. I was looking forward to see what more surprises he had in store for all of us.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    This may be inappropriate, but as human as he seemed through his actions here, he was still a faceless figure of sorts. For those who knew him better, I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, we could get his first name. Or at least a picture. That would make me very happy
    I wouldn't mind at least knowing his first name.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

My sincerest condolences to Tosa's loved ones. Rest in peace.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I'm really sorry to hear that. 38? Just my age...jeez!
    My condolences to his family, especially his wife/kids, should he have had any. My daughter is 2 1/2, I'd hate to leave her behind.

I assume the request for donation for a leucemia charity implies that this was what he was afflicted with?
    In that case I strongly encourage you to register as bone marrow donor. It requires only a blood test to enter the database and by doing so, you improve someones chances of survival. You might be the difference between life and death, you know. I recently registered myself, it's free and it almost doesn't hurt (and it's almost instantly good karma, should you be interested...:-)). And don't worry, should you be a matching donor, the procedures are completely safe - there's no danger to the donor.
    Go ask your doc. Now. I mean it!

Cheers, TosaInu

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast