Thread: questions from N00b

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default questions from N00b

First if I haven't played this type of game since Age of Empires I so my questions are really basic.

1. When a build a building I don't get the option to place it on the map.

2. In the beginners guide it mentions pesent farmers which are those.

3. When I attempt to attack a castle in the tutorial my armies are destroyed I am leading with yari spear men after reading I think I should be leading with samuri ?

4. Raids are mentioned is this going into the other lands and attacking other buildings besides the castle and do I get money for doing that?

Default Re: questions from N00b

Quote Originally Posted by xhatan View Post
    First if I haven't played this type of game since Age of Empires I so my questions are really basic.

1. When a build a building I don't get the option to place it on the map.

2. In the beginners guide it mentions pesent farmers which are those.

3. When I attempt to attack a castle in the tutorial my armies are destroyed I am leading with yari spear men after reading I think I should be leading with samuri ?

4. Raids are mentioned is this going into the other lands and attacking other buildings besides the castle and do I get money for doing that?
    Welcome! AoE 1 was a long, long time ago. The Rise of Rome demo was where it started for me.

The Total War series is a little different from classic RTS's like AoE, as you're finding out:

1. You don't get to put it on the map because the locations are already set for you. If you select the castle town in your province and click any of the buildings listed to the right hand side of the info bar on the bottom, it'll take you to where that building is. The buildings on the left side of the info bar are built in your castle town itself.

2. The peasant farmers ... I don't remember where it says that, but it's probably talking about your "ashigaru" units. It's probably telling you that your "yari ashigaru" and "bow ashigaru" are just peasants with spears/bows, so you shouldn't expect them to perform any heroics.

3. Even TW veterans have had trouble with the castle battle in that tutorial. I've not dared to try it, perhaps someone else can help?

4. You can raid by moving an army to any of the enemy's buildings outside their castle town (remember this distinction from the answer to question 1) to damage it. There won't be any resistance from the building, assuming there isn't an enemy army protecting it. When a building is damaged, the enemy stops getting any benefits of that building (they won't be able to trade or build ships from a damaged port, for example), and will have to spend time and/or money to repair it. You don't get any cash from doing this; it's just for the nuisance value.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, xhatan!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

thanks so much for your help

Default more questions from n00b

I have a couple more questions.

1. I don't understand trade and trade ships do I load stuff on the ships and my trade neighbors don't seem to have any place to send my ship too and will it work on its own or do I have to move it each time.

2. Can I create a new general my main guy got killed last night

3. My neighbor has a fort on an island can I build a fort anywhere once I expand or can I build it it on the edge of my own zone.

Default Re: more questions from n00b

1) All you have to do is move the trade ship to the trade node - it works by itself

2) No, unless you get a "man of the hour" promotion - you do this by having armies without generals go out and fight. It is random and cost 1000 to create the general

3) No

I think it's also customary to keep posting in the same thread you started yesterday. Keeps down the clutter, you see.

thanks a bunch guys I will continue to use this thread to hold down the clutter. If you could check back once in a while would be greatly appreciated. Loving this game already so I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks again

I've merged your two threads into one xhatan, so all your questions are now in one thread.

Also, welcome to the Org!
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

HI Xhatan,

Welcome to the org.

1. There are 6 trade nodes out in the ocean on the outskirts of the strategy map. They are represented as little circles on the ocean with an anchor in the center. After creating a trade ship you want to move it on to one of these nodes. They represent various trade goods like spices, incense, and even horses. There are 4 nodes surrounding the western Island, which represent trade with China and Korea, one node above the center of the main island and one at the far eastern end. You can park up to 10 ships on each node. However, if a node is already occupied, you cannot use it---that is unless you attack and defeat the the ships on the node, which means you will be at war with their owners. There are also pirates that you will have to defend against, so while you are creating trade ships,you should also be building a few war ships to patrol your shores and protect your trade ships.

You get more trade income by establishing trade with your neighboring clans. This will gradually decline as you go war with more of them.

2. Do your best to always protect your general until you have him build up to several stars with advanced morale/mêlée stats. However, there are 3 ways one may get additional generals. First, you will hopefully have sons who will come of age and thus become trusted generals for free when this occurs--of course you have no contol over the timing of this. Secondly, you will occasionally get a message that a warrior from a good family wants to become one of your commanders. This comes at a price of 1000 monetary units. I think we are still using the term koku for this. Once again, you have no control over this occurence, it just happens.

Lastly, you can field promote a commander, which you have the ability to control yourself. To do this you have to win a heroic battle with an army that does not have a commissioned general. When this works correctly, just after the battle, you will get a message about how the worthy captain of the group can be promoted to general--however, this will also cost you 1000 koku to promote him.

3. All settlements (province capitals which are represented as forts and later castles) are pre-determined. You can only build them up if once you posses them.

I hope that helps
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 04-02-2011 at 08:35.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.