Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Org Issues and Improvements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Org Issues and Improvements

As noted in the Org Admin thread, Sigurd, therother, and I are currently responsible for handling the technical side of the Org. We're still getting our bearings and this forum is very complex, so it may take us a while to get to grips with everything. We could use the help of every single member to ensure that the forum works properly and is as efficient as it could be. As such, I would like to formally request that everyone please notify us of anything you see, anywhere on the Org, that is broken, works oddly, or otherwise seems to be wrong or glitchy in any way. In addition, please also tell us if there is anything about the physical structure, layout, or features of the Org that you think could be improved. You can respond by posting in this thread, or by PMing us.

Thank you very much in advance for your help; without you guys the Org wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by therother; 04-11-2011 at 14:29.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Org Issues and Improvements

Oh crap read this before the announcement :(
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 04-04-2011 at 00:06.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

This is minor in context, but it has annoyed me for some time now. The "mark forum read" function doesn't seem to work consistently throughout the board. I don't know if this is skin-related or not (I use the earthy-colored "Guild" skin).

At least one forum works as the function should (I can't remember which one specifically at the moment): there is immediate visual feedback on the thread list, where all unread threads are marked read, without requiring a refresh. A great many forums do not work this way.

Hopefully this isn't skin-related, as multiple skins would multiply testing and fixing. I suggest trying this function on each forum and sub-forum, starting with the Guild skin since I know that the problem occurs with it, and noting which work as expected and which do not, then noting the settings of one that works correctly, and setting all the other fora up the same way.

I'll edit this post with information about which forums seem to work as expected and which do not, with more details, later.

EDIT1: example, the Front Room. I select Mark Forum Read and click, and nothing happens. The drop-down remains. If I then back out of the FR and return, the threads still seem unread. If I then refresh the browser, they all are marked read.

Iirc, the Watchtower works properly, but I need to confirm this and there are no unread threads for me in here at the moment.

EDIT2: The forums that work correctly are the new TWS2 forums. When I select "mark forum read," the drop-down list clears, and all the unread threads instantly lose their bold text, without me having to click my browser's refresh button. Many of the older forums do not work this way.
    Last edited by Togakure; 04-04-2011 at 13:38.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

1. When trying to find a person's posts in a specific thread, by clicking on the number of posts in that thread from the sub-forum the thread is in, I can get the number of posts and by whom, but when I click on their number across from their name, it does not consistently return a search of just their posts in just that thread. Often times it returns all their posts. That search function has been broken for.... almost a year now. For me, anyway.

2. I cannot delete private message receipts except manually, one by one, clicking on each box. There should be a box that allows me to select all of them and delete all of them.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    2. I cannot delete private message receipts except manually, one by one, clicking on each box. There should be a box that allows me to select all of them and delete all of them.
    I have added the ability to mass-select all PM receipts on the same page, so it works the same now as mass-deleting PMs. There is a little check box in the top right of the read receipts list. Check it and all receipts on that page will be selected. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Please report any bugs with it.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    I have added the ability to mass-select all PM receipts on the same page, so it works the same now as mass-deleting PMs. There is a little check box in the top right of the read receipts list. Check it and all receipts on that page will be selected. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Please report any bugs with it.
    Tested, worked. Didn't notice any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    1. When trying to find a person's posts in a specific thread, by clicking on the number of posts in that thread from the sub-forum the thread is in, I can get the number of posts and by whom, but when I click on their number across from their name, it does not consistently return a search of just their posts in just that thread. Often times it returns all their posts. That search function has been broken for.... almost a year now. For me, anyway.
    Can someone please confirm if this problem still exists? I cannot replicate it myself, that search function appears to work fine when I test it.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'd love to be able to upload my own avatar.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Can someone please confirm if this problem still exists? I cannot replicate it myself, that search function appears to work fine when I test it.
    Tested on random threads in the watchtower, main hall and frontroom, cannot reproduce.

Specifics would be good, i.e. what forum is it happening in and which thread and member?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

This problem appears to have been fixed now that I've checked. Wasn't working for me for the longest time. Will report if it happens again.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The org is in good hands.

Good luck guys, I'll be sure to keep an eye out and report whatever I see.

Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page. Also code tags look like this:

Code:
    Do I need glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page.
    Yeah, the default text, border and button colors seem to blend with the STW theme. I've changed the text color on my profile page and it shows up just fine.

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page. Also code tags look like this:

Code:
    Do I need glasses?
    Both of these should be fixed now.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by Togakure View Post
    This is minor in context, but it has annoyed me for some time now. The "mark forum read" function doesn't seem to work consistently throughout the board. I don't know if this is skin-related or not (I use the earthy-colored "Guild" skin).

At least one forum works as the function should (I can't remember which one specifically at the moment): there is immediate visual feedback on the thread list, where all unread threads are marked read, without requiring a refresh. A great many forums do not work this way.

Hopefully this isn't skin-related, as multiple skins would multiply testing and fixing. I suggest trying this function on each forum and sub-forum, starting with the Guild skin since I know that the problem occurs with it, and noting which work as expected and which do not, then noting the settings of one that works correctly, and setting all the other fora up the same way.

I'll edit this post with information about which forums seem to work as expected and which do not, with more details, later.

EDIT1: example, the Front Room. I select Mark Forum Read and click, and nothing happens. The drop-down remains. If I then back out of the FR and return, the threads still seem unread. If I then refresh the browser, they all are marked read.

Iirc, the Watchtower works properly, but I need to confirm this and there are no unread threads for me in here at the moment.

EDIT2: The forums that work correctly are the new TWS2 forums. When I select "mark forum read," the drop-down list clears, and all the unread threads instantly lose their bold text, without me having to click my browser's refresh button. Many of the older forums do not work this way.
    I have investigated this, and found the cause. It is not skin-related. It happens in any forum that has a subforum. If you click Mark Read from the Forum Tools, the threads DO get marked read, but the page does not reload so you do not see the unread icons disappear. If you manually hit reload, they will shift over to read icons (as they will if you browse away and come back). A bit of research indicates this may be caused by a conflict with another plugin. I will try and figure out what is causing it, but in the meantime just manually hit refresh after clicking the button and it will work.

Thanks, the new one works quite a bit better with the ability to jump directly to new posts.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Must say that I really like this Mobile skin! Much easier to browse the forum using my phone. :-)

Blog Entries

Id like to see a Clan-overview, with a good list of clans.
    There should be a Clanleader-mail-system, the steamgroups listed....

It would make things a lot easyer, if we could inform all the different clans out there with just one "mass-mail". It came into my head, while working on the tourney.
    I meet people online each day, who never heard anything about the Org, those people wont know anything we do here, this could be a way to ensure, they know whats going on, without to be very actice here.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

and the shogun skins is somewhat too heavy to load compared to the guild skin
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Quote Originally Posted by Rahwana View Post
    and the shogun skins is somewhat too heavy to load compared to the guild skin
    Yes, I agree. Looking at the style, it uses a lot of images instead of simple colors, and some of the image files are rather large. That's probably slowing it down. I'll go in and optimize the images and see if that can speed it up without losing visual quality.

Last edited by Kagemusha; 04-15-2011 at 21:37.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

We are looking into ways of customising the forum index, which might well side step this issue.

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Is there any way I can stop my forum view from reverting to the Mobile Site after switching to PC Mode? [Short of finding a working machine.]

It leaves PC Mode as soon as any link is used.
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Quote Originally Posted by Škotsko View Post
    Is there any way I can stop my forum view from reverting to the Mobile Site after switching to PC Mode? [Short of finding a working machine.]

It leaves PC Mode as soon as any link is used.
    Are you posting from a mobile device?

Are you posting from a mobile device?
    Yes. In the past I'd been able to use the full site on such a device. The forced redirect is new to me.

Was hoping there'd be some way to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Škotsko View Post
    Yes. In the past I'd been able to use the full site on such a device. The forced redirect is new to me. Was hoping there'd be some way to disable it.
    I just changed a setting, try now.

I just changed a setting, try now.
    Thanks, it works fine now.

[Redirected me back to the full site as soon as I'd made that last post via the mobile version.]

Yes, it's possible.

Is it possible for mentions to send an email? (or at least have an option for that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Is it possible for mentions to send an email? (or at least have an option for that?)
    Unfortunately, that's beyond our abilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast