Thread: Processors

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Processors

What processor would be better for gaming? Duel core or quad core? I have noticed that some processors of the duel variety cost the same as a quad. I have a core 2 duo and wanted to upgrade to a core 2 quad for gaming purposes. Would this be a good idea or should I just get a better duel core?
    Silence is beautiful

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Processors

quad, particularly going forward.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Thanks. I just got an unexpected bill in the mail today however, I am going to have to put off the processor for some time. It is nice to know what I need and I have one picked out! :D Thanks again!
    Silence is beautiful

The answer depends on what games you play. If a game supports multi-core processors (which many older games do not) then quite often it's still limited to 2 cores anyway due to their programming, so a quad core processor won't necessarily bring about greater performance, especially if it is lower clocked than the dual core one. The list of games that would use all 4 cores of a quad core processor is surprisingly small. However, as time passes, more and more games are programmed to start using more cores, so if you intend to keep buying brand new PC games then a quad core will provide more future proofing.

One thing you may want to consider is if a processor upgrade is really going to affect performance that much anyway. With a core 2 duo, it's more likely most of your games are limited by your graphics card than the processor (there are exceptions, with the TW series being one as it seems very processor intensive). One further thing to consider is if you wouldn't be better off upgrading your motherboard and processor at the same time. The new Sandybridge processors are light years ahead of the old core 2 duo's in terms of performance, so it may be cheaper and provide a bigger performance boost to buy a new motherboard and a less powerful Sandybridge processor than it would to buy an older, higher range core 2 processor, although more effort on your part to replace your motherboard.

Interesting. Hmmm...I guess this upgrade is going to need more thought! Thanks!
    Silence is beautiful

Things change so fast. If you are delaying the upgrade ask again when you go ahead with it.

I bought a core 2 duo as a stop-gap when my old one gave up...still runs everything i play; more titles are coming out "optimized" for multi-core, but i think i'm still good for a year :) (I play S2TW on high settings btw)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

AMD has great pricing but are losing the performance game big time.

For the same cost as AMD's best current offering, you can get an Intel 2500K and a nice Asus mobo, and get a one-click stable, safe overclock on the stock Intel cooler of about 4.0 - 4.2 ghz. Even without the OC it's still a great cpu.

Really wish AMD would catch up again so the price wars resume in earnest.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Really wish AMD would catch up again so the price wars resume in earnest.
    Agreed. Also, I am a sentimental fool who loves to give his money to the underdog, so I wish AMD would kick into high gear so's I could support them in good conscience.

Still, they have the cheapest six-core solution around. Now if only that translated into gaming performance ...

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Last I checked, at comparable performance levels, AMD is still priced very favorably to it's Intel counterparts. The problem is, if you're looking at high-end cpus there just isn't anything offered by AMD that's really comparable to Intel. If you're not shopping high-end, AMD is still an attractive alternative.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln