Thread: Impossible custom battles

Default Impossible custom battles

What battles I mean here are custom battles+historical battles+ historical campaigns. In my opinion, all those customs (including the historical ones) are designed in such a way that you do not win by tactics or anything that depends on you. To win such a battle you are expected to find and follow the path the AI has in mind that will bring you to victory (do you understand what I mean?). Your aim is not to excell on the battlefield but to guess (or rather grope for) the way and follow the steps that only the AI knows (like how could you know that (playing the second battle of French vs English historical campaign) you would see the whole english garrison of the fortress will march away to let you have 100 men in it if you manage to do everything correctly (I did it only twice and still can't figure out WHAT I did).
    It has been a long time since I played any of these but a grudge lingers. There were some (2 or 3) that I couldn't win no matter what. One was a custom battle with Vikings storming a Mercian fort. My forces comprised 2 Huscarles (or were they Joms?) and heaps of thralls at 0 valor. I sent my thralls first to bring down the gates, next time I sent axemen to do the same, then I withdrew to the edge of the map and waited for the onslaught, then I knocked several breaches in the wooden walls, then I placed the army in the semi-circle around the gate to be able to strike the sallying enemy in the rear (even killed their general a couple of times), I tried several deployments within the semi-circle swapping positions of thralls and axemen - IT WAS NO GO!!! Those thralls just routed too soon and the axemen were overwhelmed by sheer numbers.
    One more impossible was the Irish storming a Mercian (how I love them) keep with their reinforcements coming over a wooded hill. I won't go into details about the tactics I used (invariably starting with destroying the reinforcements, though - perhaps, I should have let them pass within and join the picnic?). Do you have any tips on how to win those ones? And do you find some customs impossible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Default Re: Impossible custom battles

All historical battles/historical camps are winnable in the core game. Just practice. I haven't tried the ones in VI but i'm pretty sure they'd be also winnable. You can make up custom battles that are balanced in terms of strength so i'm not sure what you mean when you include them in the unwinnable category too.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    You can make up custom battles that are balanced in terms of strength so i'm not sure what you mean when you include them in the unwinnable category too.
    Maybe I had a wrong name for it. Probably it wasn't a custom battle. You see, I have a translated into Russian version of the game (and not a very good translation - like they translated Order foot soldiers something like "Infantry keeping order" or "Infantry fighting in ranks" more or less), so here I have to re-translate back into English. Under "custom battle" I meant the battle with factions and forces chosen for you, you are just landed onto the battlefield and said to start the battle (or deploy the troops chosen by the AI). What is the original name for it I don't know. Perhaps, a quick battle? Whatever the name, I hope you see what battle I meant, and still claim some are unwinnable. Any help on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Yes, well match your units correctly (not archers to cavalry etc), use your missile line efectively, remember to flank. If outgunned use the trees or rush if you have more melee. I mean its all the stuff that apply in every battle. I don;t choose the quick batle feature as it gives way too much artillery for my liking often. I'd rather set up my own custom battles and choose teh map if i want battles only.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread