Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Default Re: Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

what people eat is their choice as it is my choice to ridicule them for being fat.

Default Re: Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight

From what I remember of elementary school, homemade lunches were usually healthier, and much better tasting, than cafeteria food. The article mentioned that, so it seems like nothing has changed 10 years later, despite the effort to make school lunch more nutritious.

If the schools want to join the good fight against childhood obesity, they should focus on making their own food better, rather than forcing people to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchip View Post
    If the schools want to join the good fight against childhood obesity, they should focus on making their own food better, rather than forcing people to eat it.
    This is the end of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchip View Post

"Better" - relating to what? More healthy, better taste, fit for the individuals need?

I think one of the main problems is the junk food culture of america. Children who have a choice between pizza and a balanced diet will go for the pizza. I would have done that too when I was a child. So I disagree, the schools should serve healthy meals, and the parents should support this.

I complained a lot about the school lunches in Sweden growing up, with adult eyes though I notice they are not that bad tasting, and very healthy. Granted, Sweden generally have better food now than in the 80's.

Look at children obesity rate between Sweden and America. In Sweden the kids get at least one healthy meal a day with salad on the side and milk to drink, wheras last I visited a American school the kids ate pizza and drank coke. I am sure the American kids were more content with their food and drink choice, but what is really best for the kid?
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
    "Better" - relating to what? More healthy, better taste, fit for the individuals need?

I think one of the main problems is the junk food culture of america. Children who have a choice between pizza and a balanced diet will go for the pizza. I would have done that too when I was a child. So I disagree, the schools should serve healthy meals, and the parents should support this.

I complained a lot about the school lunches in Sweden growing up, with adult eyes though I notice they are not that bad tasting, and very healthy. Granted, Sweden generally have better food now than in the 80's.

Look at children obesity rate between Sweden and America. In Sweden the kids get at least one healthy meal a day with salad on the side and milk to drink, wheras last I visited a American school the kids ate pizza and drank coke. I am sure the American kids were more content with their food and drink choice, but what is really best for the kid?
    He is saying that they should serve healthy meals, just that they shouldn't force kids who bring their lunch to eat the school lunch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    He is saying that they should serve healthy meals, just that they shouldn't force kids who bring their lunch to eat the school lunch as well.
    I agree that they should not be forced. However, I do not think encouraging private lunches are a good idea either. School cafeteria should have same rules as any other restaurant, you cant eat food you brought with you. If you want to sit somewhere else and eat home made food, then by all means do. But it is nothing the school should encourage.

I agree that they should not be forced. However, I do not think encouraging private lunches are a good idea either. School cafeteria should have same rules as any other restaurant, you cant eat food you brought with you. If you want to sit somewhere else and eat home made food, then by all means do. But it is nothing the school should encourage.
    I don't understand. What would this do other than separate students into "brown-bags" and "trays"? So kids can't eat home brought lunches in the cafeteria....ok?

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I don't understand. What would this do other than separate students into "brown-bags" and "trays"? So kids can't eat home brought lunches in the cafeteria....ok?
    Can you eat home brought lunches in any other type of restaurant?

And yes it would separate students, hopefully making them eat the school lunch if for no other reason than that they want to sit with their friends. You have an obesity problem, why not do something about it?

Can you eat home brought lunches in any other type of restaurant?

And yes it would separate students, hopefully making them eat the school lunch if for no other reason than that they want to sit with their friends. You have an obesity problem, why not do something about it?
    Christ man, this is school, not Dr. Drew's obesity rehab center.
    A) In many schools students are not required to eat in the cafeteria, at my school you could eat anywhere just as long as you didn't make a mess.
    B) Most students who bring lunches from home are wealthy, while most those that rely on school lunches are poor from the article. You are now basically segregating the wealthy from the poor.
    C) Students will not care because they are students and will simply swap out parts of their lunch so there isn't one with a noticeable "bag". Hell, just empty the lunch onto a tray and sit right down unless you suggest having security guards watch over them at lunch like a prison.
    D) It's a school cafeteria, not a restaurant. it's publicly funded, a restaurant isn't. There are so many differences between a cafeteria and a private restaurant, I can't list them all.
    E) The obesity problem is not from school lunches. I know the obesity crisis at an acceptable level and all the stats showed that young kids were the last group to start the upward trend towards obesity. Adults started hitting them high figures before their children.
    F) How is social isolation ever an acceptable solution to a social problem? How is ever acceptable to socially isolate a student from his friends?
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 04-12-2011 at 12:25. Reason: Bad language adjusted

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I've been making my kids' school lunches for years. And health wise they are better than what the school offers. And if they said I couldn't send them to school with a homemade lunch - I wouldn't send them to school.

That idiot law won't stand, it can't. It's not only un-American, it's un-everything.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Absolutely, forcing the kids to eat at the school is unacceptable and I can't even think of a valid justification for doing that.

It may be healthier than what some of the parents provide their kids with but a school's job is not to force people to do something but to educate them to be able to decide for themselves.
    As such they could educate the kids about healthy food and make them more likely to demand healthy foods from their parents in addition to offering it in their cafeteria, but forcing "healthy" food on everybody is just wrong.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

This is so stupid. What about parents who can't afford to give their kids lunch money every day? When I was a kid, school food was like taking a giant needle of cholesterol and stabbing yourself in the heart with it. I agree that childhood obesity is a problem in the US, but this is too much state intervention. At the end of the day, people choose to eat what they want, and they're responsible for the consequences. The role of the state or federal government should be to educate people and then step back and let them make their own choices.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

When my youngest was still in elementary school, the school-parent association planned to have a lunchroom monitor who would inspect the kids' from-home lunches and confiscate anything they thought was unhealthy.

I typed out a lovely note, in big easy to read print, listing a few articles from the Canadian Constitution and a threat to sue the living out of anyone who so much as glanced into my kid's lunchbag. I included my cell number on the note with instructions to call me if they thought it was a joke. The note went into a little compartment in her lunchbag and I told her that if anyone ever asked her about her lunch, just pull out the note and hand it over. I heard that the school-parent association got so much flack for their idiotic plan they shut it down poste haste.

Chicago sounds like it needs some parental civil disobedience.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Dumb rule is dumb. Agree with posters who suggest it won't last; it's too abysmally stupid to stay on the books for more than a year.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

This rule is the stupid.

Anyway, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't with school meals. There's pretty much an inverse relatioship between how healthy the food is, and how many kids will eat it. So you have to compromise.

lol, this thread reminds me of Lunchables, they were little packets with some crackers, plastic cheese, and processed ham. I thought I was being healthy when I had one because it was a 'balanced' meal.

But most of the time I didn't even have a school lunch because I wanted to play football the whole time. The first thing I would eat all day was when I got home and had a McDonalds or chippy or whatever. I was an unhealthy kid...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I, for one, fully support these measures. They should go several steps further still.

Children are not the property of their parents. They have a right to be raised healthily. Good food is a basic human right. Many of the parents of these kids either don't know how, or can't afford, to feed these kids properly. The school must step in to protect these children.

Now to hope the school will not succumb to the many pressures to feed these children unhealthy junk.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 04-12-2011 at 15:46.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

In fairness, I guess there is a point where obesity is a kind of cruelty the parents inflict on their children. Put extreme cases don't justify this.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

Oh, yay, lets make the last refuge before society shows kids how harsh the world realy is even more of an orwellian
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 04-13-2011 at 07:47. Reason: Bad language
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

When I was in school, the cafeteria food was terrible for you. Greasy, fried, it's cheap food for the masses. So I'll play the cynic, this being Chicago and all. I'm betting this has less to do with the health and well-being of the students, and more to do with the company contracted to supply the meals.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

It wouldnt have lasted long anyway someone would cut the budget for dinners and they would end up buying frozen ready meals and soft drinks etc etc, basically they would be back where they started but now all the kids would be eating unhealthy food.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 04-12-2011 at 16:15.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Blog Entries

Isn't it interesting that in ye olden days fatty foods were quite expensive and healthy things were cheap as dirt, funny that nowadays its the other way around.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Isn't it interesting that in ye olden days fatty foods were quite expensive and healthy things were cheap as dirt, funny that nowadays its the other way around.
    No I think you mean foods high in sugar were expensive, fatty food was always cheap hence poor people ate it to ensure they had enough energy to work hard.

In the old days people would eat dripping and fatty bacon or a breakfast fry no problem and never have a clogged heart cos they burned it all up in manual labour. It is today when people eat even more meat, fat, sugar and salt than they used to while only doing soft jobs that has us in trouble.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    No I think you mean foods high in sugar were expensive, fatty food was always cheap hence poor people ate it to ensure they had enough energy to work hard.

In the old days people would eat dripping and fatty bacon or a breakfast fry no problem and never have a clogged heart cos they burned it all up in manual labour. It is today when people eat even more meat, fat, sugar and salt than they used to while only doing soft jobs that has us in trouble.
    That's not entirely true

We still eat more than ever before

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

2.25$ for a lunch, thats more than I'd spend in a week on lunch. (Mostly cause I used to go without)

I think this school just wants to make money off its students.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    2.25$ for a lunch, thats more than I'd spend in a week on lunch. (Mostly cause I used to go without)

I think this school just wants to make money off its students.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

$2,25.
    In France they charge you that much to look at a lunch menu.

America is dirt cheap, especially food, but still... Nowhere in Europe, not even in countries without much culinary priorities is food that cheap. So little money, for such an improvement in quality of life.

Get your priorities right! Buy a smaller car. These will get your children to school just as fast, and you will have saved enough money on gasoline to spend on a proper lunch for them.
    Dang it, why won't the world listen and live like Frenchmen already, like the entire world is supposed to do, save for a few tribes we'll keep for nostalgia's sake.

They're mad these Americans, they're mad!

Here's what an average school lunch menu looks like, nothing fancy, just the bare necessities that any eight year old is entitled to:

Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 04-12-2011 at 18:39.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Louis, that is not fair, any food sounds good in French.

here is what I was served

and back in my day it cst 1.50

http://www.neisd.net/foodserv/pdf/ElemMenuApr2011.pdf

I <3 pizza thrusday

Blog Entries

It's interesting how people treat this as an issue of "freedom", and use terms such as "Orwellian" to describe a school dinners policy - hardly the stuff of a boot stamping on a human face, forever. If anything, it is giving the children a shot at freedom from obesity and ill-health, as opposed to a metaphorical shackle and chains put around the child's neck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast