Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 Realism + | Main Thread: Feedback & Discussion

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

Default Re: Shogun 2 Realism + | Release & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    We can argue this til the cows come home :)

The Rice Exchange (like a grain exchange) provides a more efficient pricing mechanism and distribution. It could be argued that the greater efficiencies spur both consumption and production = more rice produced per unit of land and or more land devoted to rice.
    Yes. It depends all on interpretation of infrastructure/constructions/buildings/government. And in the last instance gameplay decision ( what the mod designer does, just not realism determination or dependence by all means ;) ).

Of course only the rice fields produce rice (food), provide the basic amount within the realms, the higher the tier, the more efficient the production, plus the chi art boni.
    (needs btw. also more manpower and overall more management, thus the added decreased army replenishment).

Markets though could be interpreted that they import and export rice (food) and goods, and even import food and export other goods in exchange for food.
    Thus makes a food surplus possible. Simple thing of interpretation, and even realistic.
    Other models could provide conter arguments, of course, just, other models, i've chosen this current model.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-22-2011 at 22:34.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

Quote Originally Posted by tan zhi han View Post
    Latest version (normal/normal)

Update:
    New campaign with Chosokabe where I just kept ending turns to watch what happened.
    -Oda,Asai,Oggyisuke (??),Sakai die on the 2nd turn.
    -2 minor clans die on 3rd turn.
    -Shimazu and another minor clan die on the 4th turn.

Conclusion:
    -Definitely has to do with Garrisons. I prefer the previous version with the larger garrisons which helped to keep minors alive longer.
    -At the same time I prefer not having Oda and Shimazu die (or any major faction for that matter)
    -It will most likely need to be done through scripting.

Notes:
    -In the previous garrison version, minors lasted longer, but generally majors still expanded better.
    -In the lighter garrison version, minors and majors fall left and right (too quickly).
    -I prefer the previous version. Can we even add scripting into the game yet?
    I believe it's bit problematic to compare with normal campaign difficulty, generally.
    Though your concerns are valid also for me who is playtesting/developing on hard difficulty, Chosokabe is also my test-faction, as for their isolated isle position, make it possible to observe AI's.
    In my testing Shimazu is quite stable, probability of expansion was good. Not valid for Oda.

I'm dis-satisfied with the outcome in the first turns. Contrary to former builds (not the last build(s) with radious garrison mod v4 though), where it worked excellent with the major factions survival/expansion, still now as the former garrison mod is back, major factions vanish partly quick.
    It is now something else than the garrisons (alone), what i somehow assumed or rather hoped.
    I added lots of additional support-code and penalty-code within the last versions, some in general some for majors, there are the reasons that majors have issues now.

If you want so, it is somehow back to vanilla's balance in this regard ;)

I'm not concerned about minor factions dying, it's their "pity" (or determination) to make place for majors. My goal at least is that for example Oda and Shimazu survive and expand, having the potencial to "build up" the east and west clan unions, and that was already the case with a former version.
    I won't go back to that version, but will try to find its potencial again.

All this is not an outcome-law, but shall be a slight tendency, campaigns shall have always the potencial of surprising turns, especially the human player has its impact of course, already alone due to the chosen faction.

I'll still try to balance it out to that design-outcome-tendency, without scripting and startpos modding.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-22-2011 at 22:51.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

I know you said you didn't want to use scripting... But I have discovered how to create units for the AI at game start, and I have had a good play through so far where the Major Clans have not fallen to minor aggression. (2-3 units should be enough for each major faction that is not the player - this is how I have it set up)

I am using shroud removal to make sure it is successful, and as always, am testing it as Chosokabe.
    You could offer your method as small mod ... ?

However, it's back: Oda survives and expands, as well as others like Hojo, and even Mori have a higher chance now to survive ... Shimazu has a quite hard time but can get back to power.

This is a tendency now on H/H, long campaign, ultra unit size, if Chosokabe played - reached my goal after many hours of balancing tweaks and playtesting. Load it up as v1.79.

A version 1.80 will include a final garrison mod. Not sure when i have it so far. After v1.80, i'll do some finetuning with dedicated CAI files.

Edit: V 1.79 is up, see 1st post.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-23-2011 at 08:24.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Hi! Thanks for the mod, I'm really liking your ideas! I played 1.79 today as mori on H/H/long for a good ~50 turns if you're interested in my impressions. I used tan zhi han's first script posted in this thread.

I'm looking forward to trying the lighter version of the script, I didn't really like the way the first one worked out because although no great clans died for many years, they ended up steam rolling the minor clans quicker than I've ever seen. Year 1551 Shimazu already conquered his entire island and got up right to my starting province. Oda dominated the other side very fiercely and chosokabe was rolling through the center.

I saw it mentioned here that AI is getting around samurai caps and I can attest to that. I saw a chosokabe stack with 12, that's TWELVE bow samurai! :-)

Speaking of bow samurai. Their melee stats are a little high I think. They are almost exactly the same as melee samurai, so since they have bows that basically makes them the best unit. I couldn't break these guys with light cavalry. Also bow cavalry has only 1 less charge than yari cavalry, which seems odd.

Lastly I think naginata monks and bow monks are way too hard to get to for what they do. Need to research and build monastary, naginata dojo/food archery range, and I only got 2 of each as mori. Not nearly worth the investment.

Again, nice mod!!!

Hello, do you play the english language version? My name changes suggest, that Samurai are Samurai, there is less distinction between them as it was in reality, mainly only the 1st weapon makes a slight difference, ie. of course the Samurai with Yari have anti-cav bonus, and the Samurai with Naginata have slight better armour plus anti-cav bonus, besides, "katana" Samurai got a special role (sort of elite retainers) but are very very rare (only Shimazu have some more of them).
    As for the charge difference, every point difference has an impact, if you fight them in 1:1. The Samurai with a bow are melee warriors, standard Samurai, not skirmishers.
    The light cavalry are lesser Samurai, just better not expect them to break heavier Samurai units, but surely if you charge a Samurai Daikju (bow) met free in the field, you'll kill alot of them due to initial impact, after that it is tricky ;)
    Monks: Only in higher numbers available for factions which had them deployed historically in higher numbers (Ikko Ikki, Uesegi).

As for AI applying caps or not, well, this is a burdon for any balancing efforts, yes ... it's a discussion also at TWC, we can not be sure if AI goes around caps generally, or has other "tools" to getting higher numbers of Samurai.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-25-2011 at 04:23.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Yes I'm playing the english language version. Everything you said makes sense! Is there a way I can find out what the unit caps are?

Only thing I still disagree with is the cavalry charge values. If yari cav has a value of 19 and bow cav has a value of 18 (what I saw with takeda) then is the difference of 1 really significant? Surely charging with spears should be more effective than charging with swords, or at least that's what I've been taught forever in medieval games :-) My only concern is that as it is now, there is just no reason to go yari dojo + stables instead of archery dojo + stables. Bow cavalry is just completely superior to yari cavalry in all situations other than if they fight 1 on 1, which almost never happens. If bow cav had a much lower charge bonus then yari cav would have a use in the game!

Going to play 1.80 now!

Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    Yes I'm playing the english language version. Everything you said makes sense! Is there a way I can find out what the unit caps are?

Only thing I still disagree with is the cavalry charge values. If yari cav has a value of 19 and bow cav has a value of 18 (what I saw with takeda) then is the difference of 1 really significant? Surely charging with spears should be more effective than charging with swords, or at least that's what I've been taught forever in medieval games :-) My only concern is that as it is now, there is just no reason to go yari dojo + stables instead of archery dojo + stables. Bow cavalry is just completely superior to yari cavalry in all situations other than if they fight 1 on 1, which almost never happens. If bow cav had a much lower charge bonus then yari cav would have a use in the game!

Going to play 1.80 now!
    I have no problem to give Yari Cav slight more charge power, will consider it for a future update.

Edit: Sorry, as for unit caps. Contrary to ETW/NTW, S2 doesn't provide the info-text "you have now 3 of 5" or so, just only "all units recruited" per type if cap is reached. But i'll write down soon the caps for all units, probably an excel, putting it into the dl-file as pdf. "Soon" means then for the v2.0, which will be final for S2R+.

Turn 19 just finished.

Shimazu just died. Most of the Great clans have not even expanded minus Uesugi and Hattori. Ikko Ikki died early.

I admit that my mod allows the Major AI to steam roll the minors, but this provides an adequate challenge that is given historical basis to the player. Right now the minors have blobbed out horrifically... I am as always Chosokabe. I am not sure how to feel about the mod right now. (I am testing with the light script) The fact that the first major JUST died is good news. The fact that the majors are not really majors any more is disconcerting. (I am playing with fog of war off to see what is going on)
    It needs more playtesting. Are you playing on H/H, or still N/N?

Options for future balancing:
    - Custom light script: Adding 1 more Yari Ashi to some major factions, except Oda i think as he makes it good already, but Shimazu especially seems to fail to secure its stand better in the first turns.
    - Custom light script extended: To spawn ie. a better castle tier to the starting capital for a few chosen major factions, Shimazu anyways, i believe Mori as well, to have a factor in the middle of the map, probably also needed for Ikko Ikki.
    - Garrison mod adjustment, here i see a big potencial.

Non-options for future balancing:
    - Providing more support code to major factions, as they have already vast advantages via troop quality, unit costs and partly even higher unit numbers.
    - Changing basic balancing codes, because as they are now, i have generally a good feeling with them (only finetuning will still happen).

Under the line, it is just still a goal to increase the chances for majors to survive/expand, making them more stable - this is indeed tricky.

It seems there are rather two options:
    1. The hammer method, where majors get drastic advantages, which makes them fast steamrollers no matter what, i'm against that option.
    2. Trying to do slight finetuning, step by step to getting a satisfying balance, without super-steamrollers, but stable major factions. This is my goal.

---

I request a few more campaign experiences with v1.80 by different players before making any changes, have also no time the upcoming week, first at the weekend again.
    Also important is to playtest without any other gameplay mods than standard RealmDivided (and unit speed mod, but that's peripheral for the campaign balancing), and on H campaign difficulty, in the case somebody participates in the campaign playtesting with reports.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-25-2011 at 21:42.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post updated. Version 1.81 available.
    Building costs, construction times and few unit cost, train times adjusted. The goal of this adjustment is to provide more stability to the factions. Please playtest.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

I'm playing version 1.81, Group Takeda H / H and the following SUBMODE:
    Movement Speed ​​Reduction (20/10); Realm Divide Mod (standard); Cherry Blossom Movie Pack; no red border battle; horo removal; no projectile trails; Clan Retexture Project (Ftmch); MOD_monthly turn v1.0; MOD_Japanese_fix_v2; Twosocks02 (Muiscpack).
    this configuration I can play without problems until the beginning containing the army of General still has the original Shogun2 number of men.
    How does the turn in your opinion with the Mod_monthly v1.0, is there any problems with the S2R + Gameplay (Not do use that or other separate unit start-script with S2R + since v1.80)?
    modified Mod_monthly turn v1.0 Tan's unit-start-script or is it just to make ends meet as revolutions? The replenishment
    -No problems-solved well, I think it should be.
    Clan Retexture Project (Ftmch) new units inlcusive Less glossy is better than the other color mods.
    You do that with the additions mod Personally used on record S2R +.

Hello Jahmann, i'm not sure about your post above, hard to understand for me.

Please write with paragraphs, clear points of your questions or findings.

until the beginning containing the army of General still has the original Shogun2 number of men.
    As already said, i cannot change this, unless esf/startpos modding would happen (and also then i'm not 100 % sure if single unit numbers can be changed properly for the start-situation). So you really can skip this as comment for the future ;)
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-26-2011 at 17:47.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Sorry! I use the google-translator.
    Google translator translates not just always correct.

If the Mod monthley Turn v1.0 combatible with the start-Unit script?
    Are there problems with the S2R + gameplay?

No problem, I've already accepted it(start-situation).
    Last edited by Jahmann; 04-26-2011 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahmann View Post
    Sorry! I use the google-translator.
    Google translator translates not just always correct.

If the Mod monthley Turn v1.0 combatible with the start-Unit script?
    Are there problems with the S2R + gameplay?

No problem, I've already accepted it(start-situation).
    Bold part: I don't know. You'll find it out ;)

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Mod updated, v1.82.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Quote Originally Posted by Breepzz View Post
    Ok, thanks for notifying.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Davinci,

I wanted to report that there is a bug with double flag bearier animation, sometimes they pop up in the air and runing wierd.
    One more thing, This is my first post in this web seem like you have attracted one more guy from TW center again!

Quote Originally Posted by SaengsaWang View Post
    Davinci,

I wanted to report that there is a bug with double flag bearier animation, sometimes they pop up in the air and runing wierd.
    One more thing, This is my first post in this web seem like you have attracted one more guy from TW center again!
    Hello, and yes, saw it already, thanks for the observation though. Actually i personally can live with it, happens in mountanous areas solely as far as i could observe (probably i will keep it as is, because i like the two flagbearers), but if the S2R+ players request in majority to remove the 2nd flagbearer, then i'll do it.

---

Loading up an update v1.83.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Suggestion: Can only recruit 2x Samurai Katana, Naginata Samurai, etc. Please more recruitment of Samurai Katana and etc.

Yari Samurai I can recruit 6-8x!

think it is not realistic, overall for the whole clan at 20 and more regions to a few samurai.

There is a reason behind that design (i wrote somewhere a slight hint already).

So here we go with a "short" description:

Samurai-only units were seldom if not even complete unrealistic for some factions. Samurai normally led Ashigaru and/or were mixed into the "units" ("regiments" or "division", if you want so).
    The given limit in this mod is a slight reflection of those historical backgrounds, also ie. the Yari and Bow equipped Samurai were the rule, therfore the higher numbers compared to the other.
    And the other types are real special Samurai, so the cap is more restricted for them.
    Besides this, the more your empire grows, the more you have to "replace" Samurai positions with Ashigaru, this intentional in this mod and reflects history to some degree.

When i have time and the mod is done, i'll create a pdf S2R+ guide, where also this design-description will be a content, incl. single descriptions of the units, what they really simulate in this design.

More examples: The bow Ashi and sword Ashi are not simple common Ashis in this mod, also every Ashi unit contains lesser Samurai (as imagination, what makes their partly good combat values reasonable), as it was in reality. And those lesser Samurai often were poor nearly like Ashis (peasants - some lesser Samurai hardly had more possession as some Ashi), and had "probably" (perhaps) the equipment of the best looking Ashi textures (if you use the Unit Variety mod, you can see the texture distinctions from which speak). The Samurai tagged units are already "elite" within the whole imagined Samurai deployment, the ones who can afford such a good equipment, and the special ones (ie. the renamed "heroes" are the very elite ones by skill and wealth).

If you know some Sengoku history, the design helps perfectly to your immersion into the gameplay, for me at least valid :)
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-29-2011 at 16:42.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Ok, thanks for the info!

Then we would have, to present the launch of the era to the year 1477
    Sengoku Period (1477 - 1600)
    is a change in start time (1477) planned?
    think it would be good ;-)

Nope. The according mod design tries to reflect some of the roughly 50 years of the Sengoko period from mid 16th century towards the starting 17th century.

While the fun factor is kept in the mod, thus Samurai recruits are content ;) ... even with my Samurai caps, you can still deploy a least one full Samurai stack, if you like (and such a stack, of course, would be invincible, as hint for the "cheating" players).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-30-2011 at 18:34.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Nope. The according mod design tries to reflect some of the roughly 50 years of the Sengoko period from mid 16th century towards the starting 17th century.

While the fun factor is kept in the mod, thus Samurai recruits are content ;) ... even with my Samurai caps, you can still deploy a least one full Samurai stack, if you like (and such a stack, of course, would be invincible, as hint for the "cheating" players).

Da Vinci,since you're very much a expert of Sengoko history,You will have seen my story posted on the total war website.Its called My story.I need as much historical accuracy or info as you can give me to publish it as a book thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    Da Vinci,since you're very much a expert of Sengoko history,You will have seen my story posted on the total war website.Its called My story.I need as much historical accuracy or info as you can give me to publish it as a book thanks.
    Oh, i'm in no way an expert of the Sengoku history. Tan zhi han is, for example, a semi expert, but i have only general knowledge about it.

Sorry, my time on totalwar.org allows only to support this hosted forum with my mod here.

Google for it, and then there are of course also a few books available, about the Sengoku period, which can provide accuracy.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-30-2011 at 18:51.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Oh, i'm in no way an expert of the Sengoku history. Tan zhi han is, for example, a semi expert, but i have only general knowledge about it.

Sorry, my time on totalwar.org allows only to support this hosted forum with my mod here.

Google for it, and then there are of course also a few books available, about the Sengoku period, which can provide accuracy.
    I'll google it,are there any good websites you may reccomand?

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    I'll google it,are there any good websites you may reccomand?
    No special one which refers to Sengoku alone is known be me, i have taken just every source i found, to providing me enough general knowledge. Also at TWC are running always related discussions etc..
    Else i'm a history reader/learner since childhood, that helps, too, to make realism mods.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1.84 out. Relevant is the removal of the campaigns folder (script, see the scripting thread), and the removal of the recently added 2nd flagbearer (as for the anim bug).

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1.84 updated to 1.84.1.

Special relevance: Shimazu got a faction specific Naginata Ashigaru (with the same support properties as Oda's).
    This unit gives clearly an advantage.

Next version 1.85 will have this faction specific unit also for the Mori faction, and maybe also Ikko Ikki, perhaps done 1st May evening or so.
    I plan to add this as well to Takeda and Hojo, probably also to Imagawa, Uesegi, Tokugawa and Date, maybe even to Chosokabe.

All this should change the balance and outcome as these units are available from the start, i hope the (historically) minor factions will have a harder time then.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-01-2011 at 00:03.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Smile Re: Shogun 2 Realism + | Release & Discussion Thread

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and one major reason that made me join this forum is to post my thanks and gratitude toward DaVinci for his hard work on this wonderful and truly the most realistic mod of Shogun Total War 2 and of course all the people that are helping him and giving their feed backs. The game has become much more exciting and challenging during the first few dozens of turns, but I have noticed some weaknesses regarding the AI in the later part of the game, which I hope we can discuss and possibly improve in the future version of the S2R+.

1. The AI most of the time prioritizes attacking the player with full force over defending home province especially when there is only 1 home province left. (e.g. Uesugi force sent all their units to attack my castle while there is a rebellion in their province, which leads to their demise when the small rebellious force took over their caste with ease). Could it be possible to make the AI leave some defense forces in their home province in situation when they only have 1 province left?

2. The AI is very aggressive during early years, which I love very much because of the higher challenge, however, I have noticed that they sometimes expand too fast and neglect to leave some force to put down rebellions which leads to implosion of their empire.

3. In late games, the AI could hardly expand more than 16-17 provinces because of their inability to manage their economy and put down rebellions because they are in war with a human player, they would prioritize attacking and conquering new territories than trying to stabilize the territories they own. That makes the AI not very challenging in later games.

4. I love the cap on the amount of samurai u can recruit, however I still think samurai are not strong enough when put on a scale against other units such as Ashigarus. The thing is, as a human player I try to get most my generals to 6 stars faster by splitting the generals in attacks/defense which makes all generals receive xp. As a result my troops get a super amount of moral + attack dmg and as a result an Ashigaru Inaka with +4 attack from weapon upgrades + 2 attack from jiujitsu + bonus attack from general + alot of moral from general can totally destroy samurai forces of the Enemy with lower level general, which leaves me with the idea of having a only full stacks of Ahsigaru and 6 stars generals as being the most cost efficient way to build up my army. This leads to very repetitive and boring battles. My suggestion would be to maybe increase the stats for samurai and make their cost/maintenance higher to make them even more critical for a change of the course of a battle.

5. I like the new food system, however, the road's consumption of food is making smaller empire with higher tier castles struggle to keep their empire from getting rebellions caused by food shortage. IMO the food system should favor smaller clans more than larger ones since in reality, a larger clan will usually have to support more troops and thus will have less food excess, however, I know that the STW2 system is not build around supporting troops with food so I was wondering if you could make some kind of penalty to production of food for larger empires to simulate the food that is used to support troops? For example, -1 global food to the clan for each 2 new province acquired.

I play the game with your mod, unit card mod, realm divide, Japanese fix, Music and faction color mod on Legendary difficulty level.

Thanks again for your hard work. *Thumbs up*
    Last edited by Ashimurai; 05-03-2011 at 13:29.

Hello Ashimurai, welcome and thanks a lot for your thoughts. I'll consider everything of your points within upcoming updates.

And yes, i see a chance to simulate the -food thing for the late game, not region-dependent as long it is scripting-free, and i believe a script for this would take a lot work, and the effect on AI is unclear as well. I'll try something like that with simple tweaks within the already used files. As every penalty needs a kind of bonus to keep a (possible) balance, i'll add some additonal region restriction bonus as counter factor to possible -food rebellions, and probably i have to add also some more +food options for the late game.

All that needs then playtesting, of course the human player can steer things good, but the AI is the question, as you have pointed out already. All in all i envision an option, that food supply is even in the end by all used infrastructure - otherwise rebellions will be the rule throughout the campaign, where the AI cannot work with properly.

As for AI behaviour in general, yes, i'll start soon to modify dedicated campaign AI codes, which might have an impact to the outcomes in case of troop movements etc..

Edit
    I forgot to mention: Atm. i'm waiting on CA's big patch, what the impact on mods is (functionality?), besides having lots to do in RL.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-03-2011 at 21:48.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Version is updated to 1.85, see sticky release post.

This is probably the last update for a while. (Of course, as earlier said, the mod will reach v2.0 some day in future).

I must add, it is questionable that mods are flawless compatible with the upcoming Patch by CA.
    See my "compatibility" thread. Just try it out if your game is updated with the CA patch, along my hints there.
    I'm also curious about the compatibility, but personally might have not a lot time in the next weeks ... .
    Hope is there, that mods like S2R+ etc. work still flawless with the patched game by CA :)

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast