Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 Realism + | Main Thread: Feedback & Discussion

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

Question Shogun 2 Realism + | Main Thread: Feedback & Discussion

General discussion goes here, also notes about update releases etc.

(This has been the thread starting post, which is now a sticky single post; many in this thread included posts have been moved by me in the meantime to the separate threads).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 10-07-2011 at 14:20.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

Default Re: Released: Shogun 2 Realism

Damn, this is extreme hard stuff now, 2nd trial with Shimazu H/H fails, have to give up :( ... didn't happen with the basic S2R ... i think i need to lower the campaign challenge/difficulty somehow for the human player on H/H, i'll think about some things.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-09-2011 at 13:54.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post updated with a slightly softened version 1.1, alternative, for the ones who find it too hard currently on H/H. Edit: Removed the v1.1 update file. An update will some time later.

Edit: Wow, i discovered a strange vanilla bug. I thought my update v1.1 is somehow buggy, but then i had the same symptom with the former version, with older versions ... and then also with vanilla.
    The bug is: Playing Shimazu, 1st turn, going to fulfill the mission to capture the neighborhood enemy settlement which has a little army outside of the settlement ... if you position your Shimazu army so that you can just see this army and click on it to look at it, the game crashes ... also with vanilla (only one trial worked, but from 10 trials it is one that does not crash). I formerly modified the v1.1 to see if it makes a difference etc., diverse things, then also verified the gamecache via Steam. Nothing solved that crash.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-11-2011 at 01:25.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

@Da Vince: excellent mod, i really like the non-tech requirement for samurai recruiment...AI stacks seem to be a bit more balances.

however, i got a couple of question:
    1, how to increase the cap for samurai and bow ashigaru. For example, about 50 turns my H/H Oda campaign, the unit cap for bow ashigaru, bow samurai, naginata sam., horse archers, yari sam. are 3,4,2,2,2.
    Isnt it supposed to be 10 for each kind of samurai? Either building additional dojos or upgrading current ones doesn't help
    2, why naginata monk cavs have +7 bonus vs cavalry? They are already good at melee. Can you please explain this?

Other gameplay mods I'm using: UAI, realm divide, double prestige

Quote Originally Posted by vuvihu View Post
    @Da Vince: excellent mod, i really like the non-tech requirement for samurai recruiment...AI stacks seem to be a bit more balances.

however, i got a couple of question:
    1, how to increase the cap for samurai and bow ashigaru. For example, about 50 turns my H/H Oda campaign, the unit cap for bow ashigaru, bow samurai, naginata sam., horse archers, yari sam. are 3,4,2,2,2.
    Isnt it supposed to be 10 for each kind of samurai? Either building additional dojos or upgrading current ones doesn't help
    2, why naginata monk cavs have +7 bonus vs cavalry? They are already good at melee. Can you please explain this?

Other gameplay mods I'm using: UAI, realm divide, double prestige
    Thanks for playtesting. I would be interested how you get on with Oda on H/H, with mentioning the year etc. circumstances, can you reach the campaign goals? How are doing it the other major (AI) factions?
    Important, because i would like to know, if my v1.1 changes (on parking now: making it slightly easier money-wise) is necessary or not for the general balance of the campaign on H/H.
    Also, please start a next campaign without the UAI, because my goal is to have it properly without that extra mod, and anyway including CAI files as well (one which gives recruitment priorities is in S2R(+) contained).

Else, i have capped Samurai recruitment differently from the basic S2R setup, what you get now is what you can get in S2R+. This design is in my opinion more realistic, than to have 10 Samurai per type available, Samurai were just rare for the period and became more rare towards the end of the period due the losses*, so Ashigaru replaced their "positions", and also should prevent the human player from spamming them and exploit it vs. the AI which is steered to a degree by the CAI recruitment codes.

However, the main backbone of the Senguko armies should be the Ashigaru Yari guys, which have the chance to become more performant during the campaign with collecting exp due to battle and due to gameplay exp boni additions. There for also the other Ashigaru types (Yumi, Naginata and Sword) got certain roles/stats and caps. The Samurai should present your rare but precious elites, and the more the campaign advances the more you should rely on Ashigaru, if you expand with your realm, because you must govern/control more lands. This is then historical realism reflection for the campaign towards the end of the period.

As for the +7 cav bonus i'll look into it, anyways naginata gives cav bonus, it is a weapon both for inf and cav combat, it is a polearm, and in the case of warrior monks, they are just elite warriors, have to change that if they are completely imbalanced though.

* Ie. more realistic would be to have a quite good amount of Samurai's at the start of the campaign, then only very very rare reinforcement Samurai recruitment, which vanishes then towards the end of the campaign completely, latest at about 1590-1600.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-11-2011 at 00:16.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Hi DaVinci:

I appreciate your mod or more precisely your more realistic approach to early samurai recruitment. Feels much better.
    I am currently playing Oda on M/M (as I always do). Though this is not H/H, as you required, I can say that an early peace offer against the Satai(?) really pays off.

Cheers
    Notger.

Edit: Are there different unit caps representing different tactical inclinations of the factions? There was a great post over at twcenter, where the army composition of different daimyos was stated (you sure read it ... you answered to it ;) ) and the differences were enormous. I would love to see that in-game, too, as long as it does not destroy flexibility. (Possibly via mutually exclusive research paths, that let you chose your style?)
    Last edited by notger; 04-10-2011 at 21:34.

Thanks for playtesting. I would be interested how you get on with Oda on H/H, with mentioning the year etc. circumstances, can you reach the campaign goals? How are doing it the other major (AI) factions?
    Important, because i would like to know, if my v1.1 changes (on parking now: making it slightly easier money-wise) is necessary or not for the general balance of the campaign on H/H. Also, please start a next campaign without the UAI, because my goal is to have it properly without that extra mod, and anyway including CAI files as well (one which gives recruitment priorities is in S2R(+) contained).
    I made a peace treaty with saito in the 1st turn, then gradually expanded around the owari area. By 1557, I have 13 provinces, all around kyoto and owari (not including kyoto itself) plus those that origionally belonged to tokugawa and imagawa. I allied myself with hojo and takeda, who also control 7,8 provinces apiece. My vassal Sakai also have like 4 provinces above Kyoto. I control 5 outa 6 trade nods, captured the black ship and having net income of like 9k/year. I could easily win the campaign if I continued playing it.
    Overall, I just find it just slightly harder than my Hojo campaign with S2R .311 cos the AI stacks now seem to have at least like several samurai/cav units rather than all ashigaru. Also, money is a bit easier now (dont exactly know why, probly cos you dont have many samurai units as before)

Else, i have capped Samurai recruitment differently from the basic S2R setup, what you get now is what you can get in S2R+. This design is in my opinion more realistic, than to have 10 Samurai types available, Samurai were just rare for the period and became more rare towards the end of the period due the losses*, so Ashigaru replaced their "positions", and also should prevent the human player from spamming them and exploit it vs. the AI which is steered to a degree by the CAI recruitment codes.
    IMO, the cap is fine if you only have like 3-4 province and one stack, but as you expand and have multiple stacks, the fixed cap is a bit annoying cos you still only have 3 bow ashigaru, 4 bow samurai, etc to spread out between your stacks. As a result, if you have like 4 stacks, your army would mostly consist of yari ashigaru plus about 3 samurai units, maybe matchlock ashigaru as well cause they are fairly easy to recruit now.
    Personally, I'd like the cap gradually increases as you expand (such as by building additional dojo or upgrading current ones, or by increasing prominent level so if you become the shogun you can have like 10 or maybe like 6,7 units of each samurai types)

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Hi DaVinci:

I appreciate your mod or more precisely your more realistic approach to early samurai recruitment. Feels much better.
    I am currently playing Oda on M/M (as I always do). Though this is not H/H, as you required, I can say that an early peace offer against the Satai(?) really pays off.

Cheers
    Notger.

Edit: Are there different unit caps representing different tactical inclinations of the factions? There was a great post over at twcenter, where the army composition of different daimyos was stated (you sure read it ... you answered to it ;) ) and the differences were enormous. I would love to see that in-game, too, as long as it does not destroy flexibility. (Possibly via mutually exclusive research paths, that let you chose your style?)
    I know which post you mean. I'll look into this some time in future, and might reflect something of this layout, but then i have to judge on the impact on the AI and gameplay, i'll see.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Quote Originally Posted by vuvihu View Post
    I made a peace treaty with saito in the 1st turn, then gradually expanded around the owari area. By 1557, I have 13 provinces, all around kyoto and owari (not including kyoto itself) plus those that origionally belonged to tokugawa and imagawa. I allied myself with hojo and takeda, who also control 7,8 provinces apiece. My vassal Sakai also have like 4 provinces above Kyoto. I control 5 outa 6 trade nods, captured the black ship and having net income of like 9k/year. I could easily win the campaign if I continued playing it.
    Overall, I just find it just slightly harder than my Hojo campaign with S2R .311 cos the AI stacks now seem to have at least like several samurai/cav units rather than all ashigaru. Also, money is a bit easier now (dont exactly know why, probly cos you dont have many samurai units as before)

IMO, the cap is fine if you only have like 3-4 province and one stack, but as you expand and have multiple stacks, the fixed cap is a bit annoying cos you still only have 3 bow ashigaru, 4 bow samurai, etc to spread out between your stacks. As a result, if you have like 4 stacks, your army would mostly consist of yari ashigaru plus about 3 samurai units, maybe matchlock ashigaru as well cause they are fairly easy to recruit now.
    Personally, I'd like the cap gradually increases as you expand (such as by building additional dojo or upgrading current ones, or by increasing prominent level so if you become the shogun you can have like 10 or maybe like 6,7 units of each samurai types)
    So it seems playing Oda is somehow a help for the human player vs. playing other factions, as for the superior Ashigaru's including quite low costs for them.
    Good point for the hint of the cashflow (less Samurai) - perhaps i have to increase the upkeep of some Samurai? And/or looking for other cost impacts during the advanced campaign?
    And so i guess an as of yet planned update with slight reduced building costs of tier 1 buildings is a no go? Hm, i have had indeed a hard time with Shimazu as playtesting faction, the AI just beats me there.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-11-2011 at 00:41.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

As the Chosokabe I have 5 provinces and I am making 7000 a turn (minimum taxes from start - several trade treaties - trade ships on silk and incense). I am sitting on 30000 florins, and have purchased most buildings. The main reason I am not spending alot is because I haven't been recruiting troops. I am at war with Mori and another faction and the game is difficult. Several factions are larger than me and closing in on me.

The enemy has much bigger armies. I suppose increasing upkeep for samurai would do nicely. I think it would be possible to make a supply/manpower program for the game like that made in A Proper Empire Total War from ETW. The Supply/Manpower limited how many troops someone could recruit and had an increasing max and growth rate depending on the provinces controlled. I will post some images of enemy army compositions.

Last edited by tan zhi han; 04-11-2011 at 18:31.

Thanks for posting here.

Do you use other gameplay mods combined with S2R+?
    Difficulty setting, and which year it is there?

As for the mentioned Supply/Manpower modding, of course that's interesting, however that would mean a longtime item to develop, and needs access to several files which are parts of trait files etc. and i think also esf. files.
    Perhaps i'll look into this some time in future, but do not expect that very soon, as it would be a very timeconsuming thing. If you are somehow a modder or wanna become one, this could be your project :)
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-11-2011 at 20:09.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

I use the several of the mods you list in the compatible list on TWC including visual/audio mods. Also, I use Realm Divide Mod and Cherry Blossom Character Skills Mod and Extended Campaign Mod (extends campaigns to 1640). No mods are conflicting with each other to my knowledge.

The year for this game is is probably 1553 or 1554. (Not at 40 turns yet)

And yeah, I realize it'd be difficult to do. Thanks for considering it.

Extended Campaign Mod (extends campaigns to 1640).
    I've read this makes anger the longer you play as for the expanded family tree, which is not really compatible with the game.
    I also have installed that, but the version which ends at 1620, iirc..

However a development goal for me is to find a balance that makes a victory possible on H/H without the Extension mod, but using the Realm Divide mod, as i think there vanilla goes overboard with its extreme high aggression if this event occurs.

Edit
    I believe i'll try an update that a. increases the recruitment costs for Samurai units, but b. decreases the construction costs for the 1st tier buildings. And no changes to the upkeep, as this can easily have huge impacts on the whole cashflow, there for could produce huge anger for the AI to develop their realms (for you as player as well, of course).
    Btw., Chosokabe is i think, one of the most easy factions to play, as for the more or less isolation on the isle.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-11-2011 at 20:27.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post updated, S2R+ v1.1 attached.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Thanks for the updates, DaVinci.

A bunch of new members here, welcome to the Org!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Thanks for the updates, DaVinci.

A bunch of new members here, welcome to the Org!
    The Org, once THE site for TW game modding, needs a renaissance in this regard.

Actually the Org was the first TW fansite which i visited as i purchased M1TW and looked for a forum (but didn't register, just first far later as i started modding).

I personally always kept contact to the Org with making at least release notes about several modding projects where i was involved, but hadn't ever much time to post here as well.

Maybe i can lure some TWC members (S2 mod players) to this S2 modding forum here ;)
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-12-2011 at 07:22.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post again updated: Version 1.2 available.

It's a due combat stats revision, see changelog.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Thank you for keeping us updated.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Since you has gone from TWC the mod take two directions, which one of the mod version is the most complete and the most realistic?

Can you Add (like darthmod) the catapult sooner recruitable, realism needed... I prefer realism mod than darthmod, but this last one is more complete for now: catapult, Projectile explosions now have more realistic effects (they do not launch the troops to space...), etc etc. I think you need to read the darthmod changelog to to have inspiration or remind ;)

Compatible with AUM unit mod?
    Last edited by Breepzz; 04-13-2011 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Breepzz View Post
    Since you has gone from TWC the mod take two directions, which one of the mod version is the most complete and the most realistic?

Can you Add (like darthmod) the catapult sooner recruitable, realism needed... I prefer realism mod than darthmod, but this last one is more complete for now: catapult, Projectile explosions now have more realistic effects (they do not launch the troops to space...), etc etc. I think you need to read the darthmod changelog to to have inspiration or remind ;)

Compatible with AUM unit mod?
    Hello, as you read in the OP, the S2R+ is a pure personal version, that means i modify all that on my own personalised pace, aside to real life, where i'm a free lancing engineer/architect/consultant, and projects are sometimes extreme time consuming, and sometimes i have a lot free time. The starting S2R was a project/timewise of the ladder kind. Now it's all different. Besides this, i have serious technical connection issues with TWC since April 2011, which hinders me to "work" in an usual manner on TWC. So i said i'll continue something for Shogun 2 on tw.org.

As for contents and its updates, all thoughts and suggestions are welcome, but bear with me, if sometimes updates happen quick and sometimes not, i'll look into things step by step. This is all dependent on my free time and when i playtest the mod and find things which i must change etc. along my own view of priority. The S2R+ on tw.org here is completely independent from the S2R on twcenter.net.

My last internal update is a change for the ranges of matchlocks and bows (matchlocks increased, above a normal bow), but i think i'll do some other things before i upload that version.

EDIT

Update - apparently my twcenter.net issues are solved, read also here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...71#post9374571 ... see post # 988, around.
    However, that won't change the situation in regard of S2R+ on tw.org and S2R on twcenter.net. Reasons, see above.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-13-2011 at 18:12.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post updated, S2R+ v1.3 attached.

Last playtest with Chosokabe, 1551 spring, with S2R+ version 1.3.

... this picture is here to show my efforts to let Oda survive and expand (so to speak by all means, as i had have enough to see Oda vanish in the first turns), besides other major factions (ie. Shimazu). While of course, if Oda gets support, Tokugawa and Imagawa suffer (as enemies from the start).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-13-2011 at 22:40.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

And for my question and my suggestion?

Fire arrows removed!? Are you serious? it were sometimes used in land battle mate.... What's about reduced this ability drastically in 1 use per battle, or better, just one or two unit with the fire ability. but don't delete them...

Can you Add (like darthmod) the catapult sooner recruitable, realism needed... I prefer realism mod than darthmod, but this last one is more complete for now: catapult, Projectile explosions now have more realistic effects (they do not launch the troops to space...)
    And for my question and my suggestion?

Fire arrows removed!? Are you serious? it were sometimes used in land battle mate.... What's about reduced this ability drastically in 1 use per battle, or better, just one or two unit with the fire ability. but don't delete them...
    Catapults currently have imo. no realistic effects (in vanilla), they throw here real explosive bombs which leave impressive earthholes as it was WWI (this is likely to change if it is possible). As for availability, i'll look into this.
    The fire arrows and its effects on units are Hollywood contents, wait, no, even Hollywood does not produce such nonsense of barbecued units. I left them for naval and the static unit protections, that's realism reflection, everything else is utter nonsense, if mobile archers shoot fire arrows ( from where do they get it, out of their ass? ;) ).

---

Btw., i couldn't trust my eyes recently in my Chosokabe playtest campaign from above: Oda exactly took over the Shogunate in 1573 (sacked Kyoto), the historical correct year as he did it in reality.

---

Upcoming changes will be (what i have now in my mind):

- Exchange the food subtraction building string from markets to roads (reason: road work cost a lot of manpower/food in reality, i don't understand the approach of market advancement consuming food, would be contrary, i think).

- Kinza Mint art researchment will provide + 1 food as additional effect
    or
    - Sholarship art researchment, not sure now.

- Naval combat stats will be revised (morale etc.).

- Bomb thrower units will be increased in recruitable numbers ( i guess 6 ).
    - Most likely some Samurai unit caps will be slightly increased (for some).
    - Same for Ashigaru Archers, just a few more will be recruitable.

Edit:

I observe, as other players as well, the AI sometimes apparently goes around unit caps (which work 100 % for the human player), at least AI fields more per unit type than the code allows. I strongly believe there are no separate codes for the AI how much they can recruit per unit type. But i hesitate to believe the AI can simply cheat here. This is beyond my knowledge what the culprit is and how to solve that, as of yet.

... further ...

- Fixing some stat values/columns (due to wrong tab names in the PFM tool).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-15-2011 at 22:36.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Default Shogun 2 Realism + | Release & Discussion Thread

Spaceholder ... as for thread/post/1st post editing moves & merges ...wip.

Will explain more later here in this post.

EDIT

So everything is done about the moves/merges/1st post editing.

The goal has been to negate confusion about the normal S2R and the newer S2R+ mods.

Clear different threads are realised now.

Big thanks to Kagemusha who provided the post moves and merges.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-15-2011 at 17:52.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Default Re: Shogun 2 Realism + | Release & Discussion Thread

1st post updated, v1.3 hotfix added.

The hotfix contains fixes of unit attributes (due to wrong PFM column tabs), plus charge boni reduced for a lot of units (as partly unrealistic high).

Else it is the same as v1.3. The hotfix is complete saved game compatible.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-16-2011 at 02:14.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Hey Davinci.

Just wanted to say i've been a big fan of realism since i first tried it, v.310. Recently tried your SR+ and i'm liking that even better than I do normal realism. It seems a much softer blend of Realism's great improvements and vanilla gameplay. Being able to recruit samurai from the start was something i was really missing

Please keep up the good work, having a ton of fun.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-16-2011 at 03:21.

Hello and thanks,

It was always my goal to create historical realism combined with gameplay, in all of my modding projects. For Shogun 2, imo. one have not to do that much as it was "necessary" for the former TW titles. Vanilla S2 is already excellent in a lot departments, but just vanilla leaves room for (quick) modding improvements, and also, my RL allows not anymore big modding projects.

Of course i'm sure Senguko history experts would like to change much, really much more, S2R+ will remain a realism gameplay tweak mod, and leaves room for the real upcoming overhaule mods, which are announced already here and at TWC.

---

I'm working currently on the next update version 1.4, will release it very soon, ready to play this weekend, i think.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-16-2011 at 05:11.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

1st post updated (file and changelog), added v1.4.

Removed the file attachments which suffered from the now discovered attribute bug (a vanilla bug for the unit attribute "scare enemy", as units react contrary to what they should), see post # 29. I can only advise everybody who use one of the impacted versions to remove them (S2R+ versions 1.2, 1.3, 1.3 hotfix), and replace it with 1.0 or 1.1 or just the most advanced update 1.4.

Btw., most likely, v1.4 will stay for a while, as it is pretty much advanced now. Updates will slow down now also as for my RL. That means, i guess i'll slowly work parallel to my own playtesting and your incoming comments on a bigger update, which might need weeks, unless i have to change important things and upload it in the meantime.

I wish much fun with the current version S2R+ 1.4 :)
    Last edited by DaVinci; 04-16-2011 at 13:10.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Rice market still sell (-1) food? It's realistic like vanilla. Or you re changed an old of yours modification? Market = 0 is normal you right but after we need selling it to be able to make choices between upgrade castle or rice market, waiting for tech to have more food before upgrade etc etc. Castle upgrade with food is not to easy now? And roads?

Post Re: Shogun 2 Realism + | Release & Discussion Thread

Rice market still sell (-1) food? It's realistic like vanilla. Or you re changed an old of yours modification? Market = 0 is normal you right but after we need selling it to be able to make choices between upgrade castle or rice market, waiting for tech to have more food before upgrade etc etc. Castle upgrade with food is not to easy now? And roads?
    It's meant to be that the market building string does not subtract food anymore, as the changelog describes, and i did a short test with a new campaign, and was sure that it works as planned, before i uploaded 1.4

Have loaded now a saved game and you are right, it is still in place, that the market string subtracts food.

And i remember now (because i tried something similar already some time ago with S2), it's a problem with the vanilla file system in S2: even if you overwrite the vanilla db file, the according tsv line in vanilla is still active (this was different in ETW and NTW modding, iirc.).

I'll look now for a solution (not sure atm. what i can do about it, technically), and load it up as 1.4 quickfix (perhaps it must go back to vanilla in this regard, because all other options might not work as better alternative for the building tree).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 10-07-2011 at 14:20.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast