Thread: Key buildings destroyable?

Default Key buildings destroyable?

Hi folks, I was playing a game on a map whose name I have forgotten (something 'basin' I believe), but which consists of a forested hill on each side, a ridge down the centre, and a key building in the centre of of the map to either side of the ridge. My opponent was playing defensively, camping on the hill with a manogel, so I decided to capture the buildings. I sent a unit of cheap ashigaru to each building, and my opponent didn't bother wasting any shots on them. But when I had finished capturing the buildings, he simply set them on fire with the manogels, destroying them and hence removing my bonuses.

A couple points here. Firstly, isn't the point of the key buildings to prevent camping? In which case, why can the camper's chief weapon (namely, artillery) be used to negate them so easily? Secondly, can artillery be deployed in range of the key buildings on most maps, or was this one the exception?

Also, I feel bound to point out that my opponent wasn't really camping in the end - he was using the artillery to make me play cautiously so that he could walk (!) 2 units of great guard around the forests on the map edge, which ambushed and killed my general. Most impressive. I still won the battle though :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Key buildings destroyable?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Hi folks, I was playing a game on a map whose name I have forgotten (something 'basin' I believe), but which consists of a forested hill on each side, a ridge down the centre, and a key building in the centre of of the map to either side of the ridge. My opponent was playing defensively, camping on the hill with a manogel, so I decided to capture the buildings. I sent a unit of cheap ashigaru to each building, and my opponent didn't bother wasting any shots on them. But when I had finished capturing the buildings, he simply set them on fire with the manogels, destroying them and hence removing my bonuses.

A couple points here. Firstly, isn't the point of the key buildings to prevent camping? In which case, why can the camper's chief weapon (namely, artillery) be used to negate them so easily? Secondly, can artillery be deployed in range of the key buildings on most maps, or was this one the exception?

Also, I feel bound to point out that my opponent wasn't really camping in the end - he was using the artillery to make me play cautiously so that he could walk (!) 2 units of great guard around the forests on the map edge, which ambushed and killed my general. Most impressive. I still won the battle though :-)
    1. Till some point, yes. If placed good, the arty can reach almost any building on map, sometimes there are some terrain problems. Apart from the "moral-dojo" any other building can be destroyed.

2. To avoid camping, there should be some bunos on a dojo like, enemy units cant hide anymore. That would help a lot to actual see units of the hardcore camper.

I've read somewhere that key buildings can be destroyed, but the bonus still remains. I haven't paid attention really to this but in one of my 2v2s we had an armor dojo and archer dojo destroyed by enemy arty and the armor dojo bonus went away but the archery bonus did not... very strange. You'd think that the idea behind them is to give a hand against campers, but it seems some can be destroyed and sometimes they aren't even on the map.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AMP View Post
    I've read somewhere that key buildings can be destroyed, but the bonus still remains. I haven't paid attention really to this but in one of my 2v2s we had an armor dojo and archer dojo destroyed by enemy arty and the armor dojo bonus went away but the archery bonus did not... very strange. You'd think that the idea behind them is to give a hand against campers, but it seems some can be destroyed and sometimes they aren't even on the map.
    The dojo in the upper screen "grey" out, as a dojo wich we did own was destroyed, the bonus was gone.
    That happend once now, so cant say, if we just was unlucky...

Good question. I will check tomorrow because it can be very useful. Imagine that on beginning of the game you are taking all dojos, then enemy want take them and you are just destroying dojos.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust