Poll: Archers Vs Slingers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...:::Slingers Vs Archers:::...

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Default Re: ...:::Slingers Vs Archers:::...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDays View Post
    vollorix, I think "Year Eight Member" means, he joined in year eight not that it's his eighth year... I might be wrong though
    Believe in yourself young Padawan, force is with you....

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Archers, as you can do great ambushes and fire above heads.

I was under the impression that archers are more effective against unarmed troops like Hellenic native spearment because with no armor the ap rating for slingers is rendered useless. Is this not true? At least, as I understand, ap = 1/2 armor rating.

I prefer archers for town guard as they can take out siege weapons with fire arrows.

true In my experience Archers are considerabley more effective against unarmored units probably because they a) have higher attack b) can use fire arrows
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

In play I generally tend to use slingers like skirmishers. Like javelineers they are not that effective firing from behind the lines and should only be used in the beginning to harass and then to flank.

Still though I would generally stick with archers. I believe slingers are only truly effective against light unarmored units with small shields (akontistai) and cataphract level cavalry. For anything else they need to flank AND have experience to be effective. That calls for support units you can be using to protect your own flanks or to help out in the main battle instead. They also have absolutely no melee for the most part.

The worst part is that against an aggressive (advances to javelin range quickly) opponent slingers are near useless. They cause friendly fire from behind the lines, so you can't risk shooting at enemy unengaged units but at the same time you can't risk using them to flank unless you want a unit that will rout within 30 seconds of contact. They barely help if you use your light cavalry to engage theirs (who will probably be chasing your slingers.) If you do engage your light cavalry with theirs, now your slingers have another obstacle blocking them from a good firing position. Even if you put them at the flank where you can use light spearmen to support that's not really an optimum angle for slingers to fire from. I've always had trouble using up all the slinger ammo even after the main engagement is over and done with, mainly because I can't get a good target or flanking position without risk of friendly fire.

Archers on the other hand have a lot more to work with, as their higher attack arrows can mow down lightly armored units with ease and best of all can fire above your units. They can fire from behind the lines and still be able to shoot at targets of opportunity (or any target for that matter) without much fear of friendly fire.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grade_A_Beef View Post
    In play I generally tend to use slingers like skirmishers. Like javelineers they are not that effective firing from behind the lines and should only be used in the beginning to harass and then to flank.
    Good sir, I might have been inclined to believe; by this your statement that; you indeed and in fact are somewhat distinctively mad.

Anything is effective firing from behind lines. Especially javelineers and slingers. Since archers don't work that well against well armoured troops.

~Jirisys ()
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

false, tragically false. slingers do not shoot in an arc they shoot a straight line, therefore slingers in back lines hit your own soldiers. bowmen do not

Jirisys, you misread his statement(in fact at first so did I but then I read it again and it made sence) he meant from behind YOUR lines ;) where indeed both suck.

tho I would like to add that it can prove vital to save up some ammo(with all ranged units) to use it after the lines are engaged and flankig can commence.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

If archers shooting in the backs of enemies would be a common thing in ancient battles, then, i think, they´d be a true "hammer" instead of cavalry. Horse Archers might have used this tactics, but the "Cantabrian circle" doesn´t work like it should within the game engine ( a unit doesn´t get surrounded and shot from all sides ). Ambushing archers are another thing. I do not know how slingers were used exactly, but by the time you have surrounded the enemy from all sides so that you can attack them from behind it´s highly unlikely ( in reality ) that any soldiers, except elites, would really fight to the end instead of routing.
    Last edited by vollorix; 05-10-2011 at 17:19.
    - 10 mov. points :P

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

I never though the Cantabrian circle was to encircle the enemy...
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

@TheLastDays: remember those "western" movies when the Indians have surrounded a trek, or a group of men, and riding around while shooting arrows ( or firing with guns )? That, afaik, is "The Cantabrian Circle".
    - 10 mov. points :P

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

I know what you mean but I didn't know that's supposed to be the cantabrian circle.
    The Cantabrian circle comes, in my logic, from Cantabria, hence the name, so northern Spain... And I really don't know much about it so I assumed that it actually worked the way it works ingame... not to surround the enemy but to give a constant volley of missiles and harder-to-hit targets....
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

you are right, cantabrian circle isn't meant to encircle the enemy at all. it functions exactly as you state

but encirclement is so much more fun :\

Yes, the Cantabrian circle was not used to encircle the enemy, however that tactic was employed by some horse nomads further east on occasion along with their beloved feints and Parthian shots.
    1x From Fluvius Camillus for making him laugh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12