Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afghan Prison Break

Default Afghan Prison Break

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Hundreds of inmates, many of them insurgent fighters, slipped out of a southern Afghanistan prison early Monday through a nearly quarter-mile tunnel dug beneath the compound from the outside.

The Taliban issued a statement taking responsibility for the escape from the prison in Kandahar, the Taliban's birthplace. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahed said digging the tunnel took five months. The escape took four and a half hours, he said.

The Taliban claimed 541 prisoners escaped. The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said the number of escaped prisoners was closer to 470. The Taliban said 106 of the escapees were military commanders, but there was no immediate government confirmation of the claim.

Police recaptured eight of the escapees, the Kandahar governor's office said.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Monday's break was the second dramatic escape at the prison in three years. In 2008, as many as 1,000 prisoners -- nearly half of them Taliban members -- escaped after militants detonated a truck bomb against the side of the prison compound.

The prison houses some of the country's most dangerous Taliban prisoners, and the escape was an embarrassment for the Afghanistan government and its Western allies, according to CNN National Security Analyst Peter Bergen.

"It's, I think, quite a black eye for the U.S. and NATO and the Afghan government, who have put quite a lot of resources into trying to improve the prison systems, and here you have this massive prison break, with sadly, some pretty hardcore Taliban prisoners who escaped," he said.

Waheed Omer, a spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai, called the mass escape "bad news and a disaster."

Although the Taliban said some of the escapees were military commanders, it's unlikely the escape will have a significant impact on military operations in Afghanistan, said Thomas E. Gouttierre, director of the Center of Afghanistan Studies at the University of Nebraska in Omaha.

"I don't think I would see this as a big blow to Western efforts in Afghanistan," he said.

Instead, he said Afghanistan's government is likely to bear the brunt of criticism for failing to anticipate or prevent the escape, especially after previous escapes at this and other prisons.

In the 2008 escape, militants used a truck loaded with about two tons of explosives and driven by suicide drivers to blast holes in the mud brick walls of the prison.

A gun and rocket battle followed, lasting several hours and ending with militants rushing into the prison on motorcycles to free prisoners, according to Taliban accounts of the attack.

Nine guards, seven prisoners and one civilian were killed in the attack, according to the provincial government.

Security forces said they tried to track down the escaped prisoners, but said the large Taliban presence in the region and the numerous hideouts located there made it difficult to hunt down militants.

Kandahar is the birthplace of the Taliban and has been the site of fierce fighting between international forces and insurgents.

It has been the site of numerous anti-Western demonstrations, recently over the burning of the Quran, Islam's holy book, by a pastor in the United States.

On April 15, the police chief of Kandahar province was killed when a man wearing a military uniform detonated a bomb at the entrance to the police headquarters.

In February, 10 people died when mines exploded at a playground during a picnic hosted by a former police commander. In a separate incident, 19 people, including 15 police officers, died when armed attackers targeted police headquarters.

After attacks on the country's ministry of defense, the assassination of the police chief and now Monday's prison break, Kandahar resident Kari Ghar said it's "impossible to call this system a government."

"This is the worst possible weakness of the Afghan government that almost every single political prisoners escape from the central jail in Kandahar," Ghar said.

2nd main prison break in two years?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Afghan Prison Break

Heh, I just got a realy funny thought of the great escape with all the characters played by Afghans.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Prison is hell.

Good for these people to get away.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Yeah... Wait, these people who got away want to kill us all. How is that a good thing?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Yeah... Wait, these people who got away want to kill us all. How is that a good thing?
    Are they any different from the rest of their countrymen?
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Blog Entries

Well according to the artical they are taliban fighters. I dont know about the channels reputation so I'm not sure if its 100% honest but I'm inclined to say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
    Since they're Taliban (which was kinda proven by the Taliban freeing them and saying they're Taliban etc.) they are certainly different from the female teachers in schools for girls because the Taliban do not allow schools for girls.
    So yes, they are different, unless "countrymen" only refers to men and we don't consider women as proper countrymen with rights.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Mehhh, I can already hear the drone of a Predator circling high overhead.

"Whooooooosshhhh"

Oops, there goes a Hellfire!
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well they are different from the Hazara people that they tried to exterminate for being "sub-human" and Shi'a.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

I don't for a second buy into the propaganda that every resistance fighter in Afghanistan is a blood-crazed babykiller.

I'd recon a huge part of the 500 are simply poor farmers. So, good for them to escape the torture cellars of the Awesome Democratic Regime of Complete Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I don't for a second buy into the propaganda that every resistance fighter in Afghanistan is a blood-crazed babykiller.

I'd recon a huge part of the 500 are simply poor farmers. So, good for them to escape the torture cellars of the Awesome Democratic Regime of Complete Freedom.
    So much unfounded speculation just to get in a dig at America. I hope it felt good.

Here are some select quotes from the article about your farmers.

The Taliban said 106 of the escapees were military commanders, but there was no immediate government confirmation of the claim.

The prison houses some of the country's most dangerous Taliban prisoners, and the escape was an embarrassment for the Afghanistan government and its Western allies, according to CNN National Security Analyst Peter Bergen.

"It's, I think, quite a black eye for the U.S. and NATO and the Afghan government, who have put quite a lot of resources into trying to improve the prison systems, and here you have this massive prison break, with sadly, some pretty hardcore Taliban prisoners who escaped," he said.
    And a bit about what they do on the weekends. It's interesting that you would use the term "babykillers" to describe what they are not.

In February, 10 people died when mines exploded at a playground during a picnic hosted by a former police commander.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    So much unfounded speculation just to get in a dig at America. I hope it felt good.
    Uhm....

What "dig" at America......? I didn't even mention the US, directly or indirectly, what special glasses are you wearing?

And by the heavens! Never trust someone from Bergen. Or called Bergen. Burn the heretics!!
    Last edited by HoreTore; 04-26-2011 at 15:28.

PJ, after having seen what the US propaganda machine made out of Gitmo, you have to understand that the everyday guy treats claims like that as a little bit - well - questionable.

Was it not Dick Cheney who said something along the lines of the prisoners there being "the worst of the worst"? 14 year olds? Taxi drivers sentenced for having driven AQ leaders for money (he drives a TAXI), the list goes on.

Good for the majority that they got out. As to the few actual freedom fighters among them, happy hunting. There is a war going on, and I have no big interest of who wins.

Oh, sorry, just got it.

"Awesome Democratic Regime of Complete Freedom" referred to Karzai's dictatorial and authoritarian ambitions, as he's rapidly turning as bad as any of his fellow whatever-stan despots.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Did they use Tom, or Harry?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Oh, sorry, just got it.

"Awesome Democratic Regime of Complete Freedom" referred to Karzai's dictatorial and authoritarian ambitions, as he's rapidly turning as bad as any of his fellow whatever-stan despots.
    Oh I see. Considering Sarpoza was used primarily to house insurgents captured by America after the bigger breakout in 2008 and America took over overseeing responsibilities from Canada at the beginning of the year, I hope you can forgive my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi
    PJ, after having seen what the US propaganda machine made out of Gitmo, you have to understand that the everyday guy treats claims like that as a little bit - well - questionable.
    Forget US sources, the Taliban themselves confirm it.

I don't understand on what basis the assumption that the vast majority of these people were not Taliban fighters rests. It runs contrary to the prisoner makeup of the facility, it contradicts both NATO and Taliban claims, and it defies logic as to why the Taliban would spend so much time and energy planning such an operation, digging the tunnel, and requisitioning buses to ferry the people to safe houses - all just to free some farmers.

I suppose when one's default position is anti-NATO/anti-America, it makes it easier to convince oneself that you are rooting for poor, tortured and oppressed farmers than people who make sport out of bombing playgrounds.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 04-26-2011 at 17:30.

Oh I see. Considering Sarpoza was used primarily to house insurgents captured by America after the bigger breakout in 2008 and America took over overseeing responsibilities from Canada at the beginning of the year, I hope you can forgive my mistake.

I don't understand on what basis the assumption that the vast majority of these people were not Taliban fighters rests. It runs contrary to the prisoner makeup of the facility, it contradicts both NATO and Taliban claims, and it defies logic as to why the Taliban would spend so much time and energy planning such an operation, digging the tunnel, and requisitioning buses to ferry the people to safe houses - all just to free some farmers.

I suppose when one's default position is anti-NATO/anti-America, it makes it easier to convince oneself that you are rooting for poor, tortured and oppressed farmers than people who make sport out of bombing playgrounds.
    I'm inclined to agree.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I'm inclined to agree that there prob all Taliban cos it's in there interests propaganda wise to say they freed Non-Taliban if there were any in there.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Prison is hell.

Good for these people to get away.
    Prison is supposed to be hell.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I suppose when one's default position is anti-NATO/anti-America, it makes it easier to convince oneself that you are rooting for poor, tortured and oppressed farmers
    Surely that is true though? I remember reading that the more ideologically-motivated Taliban fighters were the mid-level commanders. The actual backbone of their forces are just there to make a living.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Surely that is true though? I remember reading that the more ideologically-motivated Taliban fighters were the mid-level commanders. The actual backbone of their forces are just there to make a living.
    True apparently a lot of them could be just a poor villager making a few squid and just as willing to shoot the other way as at you.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Oh, I never questioned some of the prisoners were Taliban.

My point was that I think quite a few were just sheepherders having been given a rifle, and quite some more just happened to be at the wrong place wrong time. Gitmo was supposed to hold "the worst" - and what constitutes their prison population is a joke. A less serious prison than that of course make me believe even fewer are badies (whatever that is).

shall we say 10% or so are freedom fighters / terrorists?

And PJ, are you saying the US has not been bombing hospitals, playgrounds, weddings and so on? Are you for real? I find both sides about equally disgusting. But then, that is just war I guess.

And PJ, are you saying the US has not been bombing hospitals, playgrounds, weddings and so on? Are you for real? I find both sides about equally disgusting. But then, that is just war I guess.
    On purpose, under direct orders? I am saying they have not, and yes I am for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    On purpose, under direct orders? I am saying they have not, and yes I am for real.
    You know how the saying goes - tens of thousands of tons here and tens of thousands of tons there, and you will end up with civilian casualties when you bomb. I am not saying that someone has given an order to bomb a wedding, but the US gave the "all clear" for high altitude bombing on populated areas. That has the same result, you know. The military knew full well civilians would get slammed.

Just in the first 6 months of the Afghan war more civilians were killed than in the 9/11 attack. Since then the war has lasted another 10 years.

Remind me what we are doing there again please? Winning a war are we?

You know how the saying goes - tens of thousands of tons here and tens of thousands of tons there, and you will end up with civilian casualties when you bomb. I am not saying that someone has given an order to bomb a wedding, but the US gave the "all clear" for high altitude bombing on populated areas. That has the same result, you know. The military knew full well civilians would get slammed.
    Not saying its right, but unfortunately it's the cost the war. I'd agree with pretty much everything you just said.

Just in the first 6 months of the Afghan war more civilians were killed than in the 9/11 attack. Since then the war has lasted another 10 years.

Remind me what we are doing there again please? Winning a war are we?
    Good question, as I'm not sure myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Prison is supposed to be hell.
    .........which would be why I am against prison.

I'm not going to pay for the torture, physical or mental, of another human being. Thus, prisons has to go.

.........which would be why I am against prison.

I'm not going to pay for the torture, physical or mental, of another human being. Thus, prisons has to go.
    What happens to criminals then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    If I understood the leftists right, you show them why their behavior is wrong and they will not ever do anything criminal again. You could also pay for a cruise. I really do not know. Not because I have not heard them, it is just that I do not get them. No really, it is like another language. Not even a human language, more like whale song. GNUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRPHMM

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwr View Post
    Anything other than torturing them using my money.

A more specific answer is impssible to give, since the group you call "criminals" is anything but homogenous.

I do not believe a prison is a deterrent(if so, the US would've had lower crime rates than Norway, instead of the other way around), nor do I believe in punishment as a form of rehabilitation.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Heh, I just got a realy funny thought of the great escape with all the characters played by Afghans.
    Main character: Mohammed Salem-field
    BLARGH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast