Thread: CA Patch Updates & Mod Application

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

Default CA Patch Updates & Mod Application

CA patches - common hints

What i suggest as preparation, in case you have installed mods (equal which ones).

- Do not go Steam online before you ...
    - Have removed all mods.
    - Have removed all saved games (or stored them away).
    - Also it might make sense to remove the complete AppData/Roaming/.../Shogun2 folder, where script and preferences files etc. are. This includes also all your settings and your saved games though!

-> In result, your S2 data folder should look like vanilla, before you update the game with the CA patch.

If the above things are done:
    - Go online with Steam.
    - Let your S2 game updating.
    - Check it out, start the game, make your settings (options, preferences) as usually.

First then:
    - Install mods.
    - Check it out in-game.
    - Perhaps look if saves work still, but most likely, it is recommended to start a new campaign.

---

Update info: With the recent CA patches i personally had have no issues, even if S2R+ or certain other mods or my Roaming folder is still included/active.

The further posts below are pretty much outdated.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 02-01-2012 at 19:45.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

Default Re: S2R+ | Compatibility

Theme: Multiplayer via Steam online.

I've got an info, that MP codes in mods have an impact on the Steam Avatar system for online matches (thanks to Katsuo for notifying me). In S2R+, some MP unit stats are coded accordingly to the mod (i might have to change that back to vanilla, i'll see).

The consequence is for now, an option at least:
    If a player has S2R+ in his data folder and is going online with Steam for MP matches, he has to remove formerly the S2R+ .pack file, this should do the trick.
    Else, i hope everybody knows, that the single player mode of S2 (or mods) is playable offline, you simply start Steam, but applying it in offline mode.

It is also somehow logical, a mod like S2R+ is not prepared to work for Steam online MP matches, one should use solely vanilla for that online application.

While ie. MP matches via LAN should work with S2R+, if both have the same build (just where the Steam online Avatar has no impact).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 06-16-2011 at 00:10.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Default CA Patch Updates & Mod Application

Just wanna mention that all audio and visual mods (which i have installed) work after patching the game, even the start-unit script (light script custom version for S2R+) makes no anger . Tested as of yet only campaign mode though, but there shouldn't be issues in the battle mode, i think.

Contrary to the gameplay mods (S2R+, RealmDivide), here S2 refuses to work, as expected. I'll try to fix this.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-10-2011 at 00:09.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Default Re: Post Patch 2 (9th May Patch): Mod Application

FIXED

Will soon release the patch 2 compatible S2R+ update.

EDIT

Compatibility fix is uploaded, version 1.86.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-10-2011 at 00:03.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

S2R+ 1.93 tested with recent CA patch (26th May): No issues found.

A tip for users who experience issues (while CA patch updating): Remove the roaming S2 folder, formerly perhaps save your scripts/preferences.script file.
    Example path: C:\Users\your pc name\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2
    Last edited by DaVinci; 07-30-2011 at 12:47.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Hello DaVinci!
    I just want to first say that I think your mod of STW2 is arguably one of the Best. You are very responsive to outside input, you have good historical base of reasoning for modifications, and Battles are overall more satisfying on your mod than any others I have played. Thanks for this mod of awesomeness!!!

Secondly, Could you elaborate what your last post said about removing the roaming folder.

1. What does deleting it do?

2.What do you do before deleting it?

3.What do you do after deleting it?

4. How can you still get updates?

5. And does having the game on steam affect this method?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerX5 View Post
    Hello DaVinci!
    I just want to first say that I think your mod of STW2 is arguably one of the Best. You are very responsive to outside input, you have good historical base of reasoning for modifications, and Battles are overall more satisfying on your mod than any others I have played. Thanks for this mod of awesomeness!!!

Secondly, Could you elaborate what your last post said about removing the roaming folder.

1. What does deleting it do?

2.What do you do before deleting it?

3.What do you do after deleting it?

4. How can you still get updates?

5. And does having the game on steam affect this method?
    Hello, well the roaming S2 folder will be generated automatically, if you run the game.
    Do not exchange the roaming S2 folder with the actual S2 data folder, the S2 data folder is at a whole other location.

The roaming S2 folder contains only user related files, not actual game content. The game content updates via Steam shouldn't have any problems with it if the roaming folder is not present. You just always go Steam-online to start your vanilla updates.
    If you are unsure how to act, you can just copy/save the whole folder at another location (ie. desktop), if something goes wrong just put it back there, also you have then your preferences.script saved to put that file back separately if you wanna apply your settings again without doing that via the ingame Options menu.

The reason for this tip is, that i had for example real issues (game crashed/freezed), as i updated the game with the big CA "patch 2": Only the removal of the roaming folder helped.
    This is probably mainly due to the "battle_preferences" folder which is contained there and carries the used battle mode content-history, which is just different to vanilla if mods are applied (with additional units), and also saved games might make issues - all this is especially relevant if mods are applied which have additional units on board. Means, Steam looks there in those relevant files, if it is not vanilla-compatible, the game-update will make anger.

Check out also the "compatibility" thread in this S2R+ forum, where i related at least one post to CA updates, ie. it might make also sense to move out all mod files from the S2/data folder, if CA patch updates are applied ... afterwards if the patch update is done and the game works properly, just put the mods back into the S2/data folder, start the game, then one will see if the mods are still compatible with the CA patch update content.

Also, consider that you can play the game (singleplayer) in offline mode, without connection to Steam, just start the Steam application in offline mode, then the game exe. While usually after i updated the game via Steam, i apply the game rightaway short online, afterwards only offline.

Thanks. Yes, i'm modding TW games and leading mod projects since a while. I think i'm one of the best modders out there, and have something to offer for friends who like historical-realism shaped mods with challenging and interesting gameplay incl. AI consideration. Normally i'm already in retirement, S2 took me back to the modding front (like every new TW game release), but i'll finish this S2R+ modding soon (if v2.0 is reached).
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-27-2011 at 23:46.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Thanks man!

I just added this to the Release thread under Important Notes
    # Important2: If you play the mod online, also in singleplayer, Steam will check the files, and will consider the file in the battle_preferences (contained in the roaming S2 folder), which is not compatible with vanilla.
    This can lead to the error-message "S2 doesn't work anymore".
    It makes no real harm though, the mod still works normally, but maybe vanilla makes issues for a next start.
    Solution: Prior to your next mod/game start offline, open the battle_preferences file and delete the contained file. This is no problem, it won't change anything, except that the error-message disappears.
    As it might be relevant for many, mentioned here once more.

Example path: C:\Users\Xigma_MW\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2
    for the ones who don't know that location.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 05-31-2011 at 08:32.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

Info about the recent CA patch and DLC (unit pack) from 28th July 2011:

S2R+: Works without issues * (at least haven't encountered anything, except that these new DLC unit names aren't displayed in some instances).

S2R+ and this DLC: I intend to fully customise this DLC (Sengoku Jidai, unit pack) to S2R+ as well, but that needs first an update of the PFM tool.

Possible Add On mods: Alone the application of the Unit Variety mod (v3.05 by Hedge Knight aka Josst) seems to make compatibility issues (in my case at least, i got some crashes in the Custom Battle mode, if i apply the Unit Variety mod).

* you might need to remove the following file: battle_preferences (in the roaming path/ S2 folder), if you have used mods prior to the 28th July CA patch, to get the game running overall
    Last edited by DaVinci; 07-30-2011 at 11:25.

LIVING ...WITH... WAR

good job, thanks man

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Introductory Chemistry An Atoms First Approach PDF download
    Last edited by dark9093; 11-22-2020 at 09:34.