Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ikko - Ikki DLC comfirmed by CA

Exclamation Ikko - Ikki DLC comfirmed by CA

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=450443

The Creative Assembly have confirmed that they will be selling a DLC pack containing the Ikko - Ikki as a playable faction. Other contents will apparently be included as well, such as the Ikko religion spreading to adjacent provinces similarly to Christianity, and a new Ikko - Ikki unit.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Default Re: Ikko - Ikki DLC comfirmed by CA

Also it looks like there will be a new warrior monk hero unit, alongside the battle nuns.

As long as they add plenty of new units so its not just "here, we unlocked this faction" I'll gladly pay $5ish.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I'm curious to hear more details about this. So far, there hasn't been anything official (correct me if I'm wrong), but there have been hints here and there.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    I'm curious to hear more details about this. So far, there hasn't been anything official (correct me if I'm wrong), but there have been hints here and there.
    People uncovered files and posted about it on TWC, and one of the CA employees came in to reassure everyone that the Ikko Ikki DLC will contain "a lot more" than just unlocking a faction.

I'm sure they didn't intend to spoil the surprise, but once the babies at TWC got going with their wild hypotheticals (that turn into facts somehow), I guess they figured it was time for damage control.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I think the Ikko Ikki would be a great faction to play. Perhaps Katana Monks, Monk Calvary, etc. I am excited and anticipate pleasantly any further details.
    Silence is beautiful

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I think a big question on this is value-for-money. Even a minimal faction unlock would be an acceptable DLC if the price was cheap enough, but there's got to be something meaty to it if they're going to ask me to pay $5+ for it. Impossible to know what the result will be until we know both the full details and the price.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

As usual, i'm conflicted about the release of DLC.

On the one hand, the Ikko look like a good faction to unlock, hopefully providing a bit more variety of play.

On the other hand, it's kind of annoying we have to pay to unlock factions, when it was pretty easy to do via modding in previous TWs.
    And i always have the sneaking suspicion that this isnt actually extra/new stuff, but instead is the readdition of stuff that was cut out of the game for this specific purpose (i mean, the one faction that's got a unique religion isnt playable out of the box? Three religions in the game but you forgot to make one of them playable until now? Really?).

Having said that, i dont mind too much as i'm aware of the current status quo in the industry. I will almost certainly buy it, and am of the opinion that (as usual) the people complaining most stridently over on TWC are the ones who will be getting their parents to pay for it anyway.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 05-11-2011 at 14:16.

It sounds like a good chance for CA to put a new spin on the campaign. If the Ikko Ikki play differently to any of the standard clans, and if some good new events, directions etc added to the game the end result could be a lot closer to a side campaign as per the Mongols in STW-MI than a reskin of a standard game of shogun 2. I'm quite keen to see more details.

Makes me wonder what CA could do with a campaign where you play as the Ashikaga shogunate and attempt to restore control. Now that could be fun. Everyone would be terribly polite to you while working to destroy you, and you would need to sift out the truly loyal from the phonies or risk crushing a true ally. One part TW, one part Poirot murder mystery.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Makes me wonder what CA could do with a campaign where you play as the Ashikaga shogunate and attempt to restore control.
    Or even: attempt to keep things chaotic, i.e. to maintain your position by non-military means by keeping everyone else at each others throats, and not letting any one faction get big enough to trigger the realm divide event. No military actions allowed (except defensively, of course), everything has to be done via diplomacy and agents (you'd have to be allowed the max agents of each type without needing the relevant buildings, and you'd probably need some unique 'special moves' for each agent type, and some new diplomatic options, and, and, and...).

Shogun 2 : Total Politics.

I'd buy that DLC for a dollar. Or ten.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 05-11-2011 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    It sounds like a good chance for CA to put a new spin on the campaign. If the Ikko Ikki play differently to any of the standard clans, and if some good new events, directions etc added to the game the end result could be a lot closer to a side campaign as per the Mongols in STW-MI than a reskin of a standard game of shogun 2. I'm quite keen to see more details.
    It would be interesting if the goal was to convert a majority (or all) of the provinces to your sect.

This sounds interesting. I've not played with the Hattori yet, but I'm happy my edition has them available for whenever I do want to use them. I think the Ikko - Ikki would be quite strong as they start out with Echizen and Kaga (or they're right there ready to pounce), which means those two very useful provinces could be powerhouses quite early in the game.
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak View Post
    This sounds interesting. I've not played with the Hattori yet, but I'm happy my edition has them available for whenever I do want to use them. I think the Ikko - Ikki would be quite strong as they start out with Echizen and Kaga (or they're right there ready to pounce), which means those two very useful provinces could be powerhouses quite early in the game.
    Hattori is interesting. All of their units that start with "Hattori" can deploy anywhere on the battlemap like the guerillas from NTW, and they have higher upkeep than normal.

I hope they have more than the Ikko Ikki. For instance, the Imagawa are an obvious choice. Also, the Ashikaga Shogunate would be awesome to play as.

This sounds good indeed,it should be shown to the Shogunate at CA.

Just noticed "the robes of ikko ikki" in the avatar armor sets. I'll get it just for that in order to fulfill my desire to make my avatar look like Uesugi kenshin

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

It appears to be out. Anybody tried it?

About the Game
    The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack adds the iconic ‘warrior monk’ clan to Total War: SHOGUN 2 and a wide variety of brand-new content for use across the different game modes of SHOGUN 2.

The Ikko Ikki “warrior monk” Clan:

A new clan for use in single or multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles
    8 new unit-variants specific to the Ikko Ikki clan
    New skill trees
    New Ikko Ikki Monk Agent with his own specific skill tree
    The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack also includes:

The Warrior Nun unit – can be trained by any clan except the Ikko Ikki
    New Naginata Warrior Monk hero
    New Historical Battle: Nagashima (Ikko Ikki VS Oda)
    Ikko Ikki armour set for Avatar - includes hood, robes and barefoot leg-pieces.
    New Retainers for use in the Avatar Conquest mode
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

Member Member Shigemasa Oyamada's Avatar

I thought the Ikko-Ikki would have been a given (unique religion after all), but would be nice to see several other clans playable as well, such as the Imagawa, Miyoshi and Asai.
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

I love the contrast between the whining babies on the TWC and the calm manner of posters here.

I have to say, the DLC is somewhat sparse. I hope that if they release another DLC it will include more. For instance, more factions, like Shigemasa Oyamada said. Imagawa are a no-brainer, apparently they were playable in Shogun. Plus their starting position would be insanely difficult, not because they are surrounded by enemies, but because they are surrounded by allies - powerful allies. Backstab one and you backstab them all. Asai are historic and would add another playable faction to the Kansai, which altough being the historical heartland of Japan is devoid of any playables so far unless you preordered for the Hattori. Miyoshi are interesting, they certainly caught my eye. Spread out over three landmasses (actually two because of the land bridge), they would be fun albiet not too challenging to play. Another few factions also attracted me. Hatakeyama have the most insane starting position in the game, and are historic. Otomo start Christian which would make for a unique campaign, although unfortunately they have no historical significance. Tsutsui have a cool name - can't beat that! The Ashikaga would be fascinating for the prospect of reuniting Japan under your rule once again. There could be all sorts of unique features and events worked into that campaign if CA would be willing to spend the time to do it. Either the Amako or the Yamana would help fill the gap in the Chugoku, I find that there being only one playable clan there is too few.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    The Ashikaga would be fascinating for the prospect of reuniting Japan under your rule once again.
    Yes, the Ashikaga have significant potential for a lot of interesting campaign development. A nearly impenetrable castle right from turn 1, but literally surrounded by enemies.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    I love the contrast between the whining babies on the TWC and the calm manner of posters here.
    How true, how true...

On topic, I don't think I will be getting it. The DLC pack is just not that impressive and even though the NTW packs offered less, at least they offered some great unique units that I've made great use of and that I've enjoyed fighting with.

I think I will buy it in the end, but not now.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I like it. I'm not drowning in new content but for the price of a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper, its a good deal. I've already made my avatar look like a ninja (head scarf in black + face armor). The nuns are fun, and the dynamics of the Ikko campaign look interesting. They'll probably be the next ones i beat the game with.

ye Im not sure why people complain about a DLC..... its cheap!. Its loyalty to the developers and shows that they still have people very interested in playing their games. still need to test how the naginata monk cav compares to the yari cav. something(cav) needs to contend with those guys other than the great guard :) If they make another DLC I would like to see a different light cav of some sort that can pack a better punch!
    I obey the rose.

Honour and Friendship

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyReborn View Post
    ye Im not sure why people complain about a DLC..... its cheap!. Its loyalty to the developers and shows that they still have people very interested in playing their games. still need to test how the naginata monk cav compares to the yari cav. something(cav) needs to contend with those guys other than the great guard :) If they make another DLC I would like to see a different light cav of some sort that can pack a better punch!
    It is cheap, it's nothing expensive or out of the ordinary, it's just that it doesn't add anything special compared to what quality the ETW and NTW packs offered.

But that's just me. I'll buy the pack anyways just to have my game complete.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

I must say that the new historical battle is quite unique, and gave me an AoEish atmosphere that I really enjoyed, too bad it doesn't add much longevity, but in overall I'm still having a great time with S2TW...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-28-2011 at 01:28.

Have you guys tried an Uesugi campaign after the DLC came out? Things just got more harder (Noth that they werent before) as Ikko is now lot stronger, while Etchu and Hida are gaining Ikko believers like grass grows during Spring.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Uesugi was my very first campaign and I defeated the Ikko using my monks to revolt their provinces XD

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Have you guys tried an Uesugi campaign after the DLC came out? Things just got more harder (Noth that they werent before) as Ikko is now lot stronger, while Etchu and Hida are gaining Ikko believers like grass grows during Spring.
    Good grief, I hope not. Every time I've tried Uesugi I've been stomped flat.

In another note, this is adding another faction to the campaign and a historical battle? Is the faction interesting enough for 5 bucks?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaseikhaan View Post
    Good grief, I hope not. Every time I've tried Uesugi I've been stomped flat.

In another note, this is adding another faction to the campaign and a historical battle? Is the faction interesting enough for 5 bucks?
    Ikko Ikki plays differently from all the other factions.

• Ashigaru units are larger and have higher morale, but are weaker fighters than normal. Also they have a unique look, the men are a mix of normal looking ashigaru men and warrior monk looking guys.
    • Can only hire ronin samurai units. Smaller unit sizes on the melee ones.
    • They have access to superior and more warrior monk units. They're the only ones who can hire matchlock warrior monks without mods IIRC, and I think the warrior monk cavalry is unique to them too. They don't get the new warrior nuns but every other faction does.
    • Impossible to convert to Christianity.
    • Generals have a unique skill tree. On the left its listed "Religious" and I think it makes them better at spreading the Ikko faith and boosting morale and whatnot.

Im sure theres more but thats off the top of my head.

Then there's the historical battle, new avatar clothes, bunch of new retainers, and the new units in MP.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Ikko Ikki plays differently from all the other factions.

• Ashigaru units are larger and have higher morale, but are weaker fighters than normal. Also they have a unique look, the men are a mix of normal looking ashigaru men and warrior monk looking guys.
    • Can only hire ronin samurai units. Smaller unit sizes on the melee ones.
    • They have access to superior and more warrior monk units. They're the only ones who can hire matchlock warrior monks without mods IIRC, and I think the warrior monk cavalry is unique to them too. They don't get the new warrior nuns but every other faction does.
    • Impossible to convert to Christianity.
    • Generals have a unique skill tree. On the left its listed "Religious" and I think it makes them better at spreading the Ikko faith and boosting morale and whatnot.

Im sure theres more but thats off the top of my head.

Then there's the historical battle, new avatar clothes, bunch of new retainers, and the new units in MP.
    Hmm. I suppose that's not too bad for 5 bucks.

Their position's right west of Uesugi, right?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast