Thread: Question!

Not sure if this has been asked already, but I have a question.

1. Will players with the expansion be able to play, players without it? If so how will it work.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Yes they will, how we don't know yet. The player without expansion will have to get a patch that they are working on right now.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

is that the patch with the online campaign?

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

yes to be released after game

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Pinching my nose now

------------------
    Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

No! The patch which enables players without the expansion to play players with it is the same as the 1.13 patch. It will be released before the expansion is (or so they say). The downloadable multiplayer campaign will be released after the game, but that has nothing to do with this.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Personally I"m not looking forward to online campaign version, and probably won't play it. Lag is bad enough ins ingle battles with rain or big armies, let alone having to wait while other players go through battles between turns with ronin and other players.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Quote Originally posted by Koga No Goshi:
    Personally I"m not looking forward to online campaign version, and probably won't play it. Lag is bad enough ins ingle battles with rain or big armies, let alone having to wait while other players go through battles between turns with ronin and other players.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Goshi. I have a serious lag problem, and that is when the battle even starts. I think an online campaign will take to long, and will cause a lot of problems.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Asakura Lord:
    ...I have a serious lag problem, and that is when the battle even starts. I think an online campaign will take to long, and will cause a lot of problems. [/QUOTE]

My predictions:

At first, many will try, but run away from the horrible lag and scheduling conflicts that may appear.

In the end, only die-hard, hard-core STW players that 1) have no jobs and 2) have no studies will be playing these time-consuming ventures regularly.

This would be the case if youz think the online campaign is but the ability to play the SP campaign versus others over the internet. Wake up! I predict it will NOT be so! I predict/understand the online campaign to be more like a string of battles played in succession, like those of the unifiers they advertise.

If youz don't like this, go to the mattresses.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

my understanding of the sequence of events was as follows:

patch 1.13 to make exp pack compatible
    with non expansion, fix some
    bugs. as a download

new map editor with the new 30x30 maps
    as a download

mongol invasion and warlords purchase

multiplayer campaign as a download

if someone knows differently, i'd appreciate a post. most of this info comes from the totalwar forum or the totalwar website main page and some of it is prolly just rumor.

the 1.13 patch and the map editor are also supposed to be included as part of the exp pack, but the multi campaign is now coming later as a download.

the thing with the multi campaign is that we dont really know how they intend to implement it. will it be all in battle mode or all in strategic map-non battle mode or a mix of both? will it be able to be played by just 2 players or 8 all at the same time? is it going to be something that is going to take more than a day to finish or something more quick? i've heard several different rumors, but they are just that, rumors.

frankly, i'd be happy if they just did a non-battle mode version and just the strategic version like you can play on single player.

but until they release some more official info, we're all just guessing...and assuming, i notice.

K.

I think what a lot of us don't understand is how the interface between expansion and non-expansion players is going to work. For example, when you look at "Internet Games", will the games be designated "Original" or "Expansion"? Will two people in an Expansion MP game be able to use muskets if they so wish (I know they won't be available in Expansion SP mode). In other words, in an Expansion MP game will ALL units previous and new be available? Will an Expansion packed player have to put in the original CD to play games with non-expansion players, and return to the Expansion CD to play Expansion MP games? Confusing.

Also, though I don't doubt that MP Campaign mode will add all new levels of depth (I mean, for example, the first person to research monks will have a huge advantage, etc., whereas in MP single battles everyone has everything available without effort). However, ever played turn-based games online? I used to play Birth of the Federation online. Offline, it'd take me 4 min to get to turn 15. Online, over an hour. Not even from lag, either, but with three or four other players at any given turn somebody decides they have to tweak everything and the turn takes 13 minutes. I see campaign games being save-and-reload things lasting MONTHS, provided you can keep all parties involved interested and they have time to keep re-meeting. I see longterm campaign online games being ruined frequently by people disappearing or no longer wanting to play a specific saved campaign MP game.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    Well, what must we think of it?
    From the sky we came.
    Now we may go back again.
    That's at least one point of view.
    -Hojo Ujimasa's seppekku poem.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Quote Originally posted by Koga No Goshi:
    ... the first person to research monks ... [/QUOTE]

muahahaha, omg, that tells me all i need to know...

// *oh man youz mean me can't research 20th century?
    // *yo kidding me yo wannaz me fight mongolz wit da bare handz? no tankz? craaaaap
    // *and where'z me damn watch me tinkz me lost 3 secondz on da damn temple click... grrr

------------------
    jd
    - I hate romantic comedies, which is pretty strange considering that my whole love life is a big JOKE -

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

koga,

my assumption, and it's really just an assumption, is that if you are patched but dont have the expansion, then you can play with those that do, but you'll only be able to use the current units where they'll be able to use all units, current and expansion. if you are not patched then you will only be able to play with others who arent patched.

but like i said, this is just an assumption on my part.

K.

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

Makes sense.

What I am wondering is will their be a full multiplayer campaign mode with use of LAN or TCP/IP connections?

On the official site it says that the next patch will take care of all worries about multiplayer and the EX pack