Thread: Unit size

Default Unit size

This one is a matter of taste, yet I would like to hear the preferences of people (motivated ones).
    When I started to play MTW I played at default size, being not aware that you can change it. Then I switched to medium size (Bodyguards 20 cavalry 53 infantry 80 spears 133) and find it satisfactory, because the battles are over not that soon (as it was with default size). But I wonder how is it to play at large or huge size. Is your battlefield too overcrowded? Do you have enough room for maneouvers? Do you have to wait long for the enemy's unit to be decimated to the extent when it routs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unit size

I like the default size. As far as I know, the bigger sizes do not increase the bodyguard units, which is a problem for the AI because he rarely builds full size knights units. And since cavalry was the main shock force in the Middle Ages, I do not find it realistic to change that.

For me hige size is tempting for the sole reason that it doubles the building time for the units. There are two other disadvantages, however. The first is that it makes the multi-faction battles more difficult for my PC and prolongs the battles. That's a disadvantage for me, because I often do not have the time to run long battles and the mere idea of fighting the horde in huge makes me sick. That's very personal opinion, of course.

P.S. Some modding to increase the building time for all units?
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Huge! Always. It doubles building times, so it requires more planning and takes some speed out of the game. Another issue is upkeep. It's calculated per man, so 1 spearmen unit of 200 men will cost you 100 florins now. With regard to the fact that your economic ability is not influenced by the "unit size" setting you can afford only half the number of men in the field compared to default --> this equals half the number of stacks in the game. This in turn makes battles more decisive and the game more interesting.

Storm is right. There are many advantages on the strategic level but imo only there. Battle maps weren't created for huge units. When I play with huge units, my army's formation usually occupy about half of the map width. There is no room for any sophisticated maneuvers. You can forget about using loose formation too. Some people say that battles last longer - it's a myth. Units have wider fronts - more soldiers fight or shoot so kill rate is much higher too. I've recently played a lot of battles with huge units and I don't remember battle that took more than 15 minutes (due to the huge morale influence of the general numbers don't matter). Positioning and using missile units in optimal two rows formation? - it's a nightmare. IMO battles are the most important part of the MTW so I'm not a fan of huge units.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

I fight with regular default units. Mostly because at most I patch the game when I play it, but also I like the game as it is, and see no reason to fiddle with the unit sizes. In addition, maneuvering is important, so I'm not interested in less space on the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    I like the default size. As far as I know, the bigger sizes do not increase the bodyguard units, which is a problem for the AI because he rarely builds full size knights units.
    To quote Unit guide, "On large unit size: Bodyguards 33 cavalry 66 infantry 100 spears 166
    On huge unit size: Bodyguards 40 cavalry 80 infantry 120 spears 200".
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

The guide is wrong. Actually, in MTW/VI version 2.01, bodyguard units are not scalable.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I usually play with either default or medium. While I can see the strategic gameplay advantages to huge, I just don't like the cumbersome formations.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

It's not that bad, actually. Of course, if your army consists mostly of 200 men units like spearmen/byz inf, it's a huge unsophisticated mess, but with balanced attack armies - many 120 men units and cav, only a couple of spears - you can do quite nice tactics. The ways the units have to move are a bit longer, but that applies to both parties, so battles may feel a bit clumsy but that's about it in my opinion.

Maybe this article/essay might be interesting for people here?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-size-settings...

- A