Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The change of release date

What do you lot think of the change of release date? I was just liking to know, because I am pretty annoyed.

Jon, I must have beat your post by mere seconds. LOL

Well, I'm disappointed but at least there will be no bickering about who gets it first.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

Well, I have the expansion to Suddenstrike coming out on the 29th June, so I guess that will tide me over till the 20th July. Still, I am very, very disapointed.

It still sucks that they pushed it back. They should wait until they know for a solid fact when it can be released to announce a release date. I hate getting my hopes up to get it and then have to wait another month.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Told Ya !

------------------
    jd
    - I hate romantic comedies, which is pretty strange considering that my whole love life is a big JOKE -

JayDee, what took you so long?

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

Suprise is not an emotion im feeling right now!

Somebody wake me up in Spring2002....Im sure Spring2001 was a typo!

KenchiKagetora

I think the least E.A could do is grace us with an official explanation about this delay on this forum, still I guess hell will be a cold place before that happens.

Eh. Better late than broken, IMHO. If it's a *good* expansion pack, the extra waiting should be minimal compared to the time spent playing.

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

thats all

------------------
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

[This message has been edited by ShadowKill (edited 06-18-2001).]
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

Well, the push back doesn't bother me too much. I have plenty to do (both in terms of games and, more importantly, life) in the mean time and a late July release will mean I'll be in my new place by then and most likely will have a broadband connection, so I can 'get back out there'.

While some may consider it a cop-out, I would agree that it's much better to wait a month and have a product we can actually play than get something sooner and not be able to play it at all for a month because of bugs or other problems. At least you don't have the box staring at you, taunting you with its presence...
    Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

For the record, I am not particularly happy.

I hope, I fervently hope that I remember the last few news posts (which The Shogun has tactfully deleted) incorrectly... I seem to recall there was some talk about the expansion undergoing quality assurance. If that is true, then the obvious reason for this delay (and it being announced so late) is that the QA people have returned the game to the developers. And the only reason for that would be that the game is *intolerably* buggy. And I would dislike that very much indeed.

I will now retire to grant my optimism a speedy recovery or a honorable death.

------------------
    "7. Chugo: devotion, loyalty."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

I fear that you are right Anssi. And if it is the case , it will not come out on july 20th.

We are slowly falling in the push back mode, like for the patches...
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Extremely disappointing news,but imagine how much more disappointing if it was released with so many bugs that it was practically unplayable?I've been burned on a few of those,and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
    *Sigh*Delayed gratification sucks,but we must"endeavor to persevere"or go mad,the choice is yours.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

than give us a webdesign goodie pack to let us make new websites and stuff that would keep my han busy for a while
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Anybody who perhaps has played Ultima Online, which is done by OSI, a branch of EA, knows that EA has gotten to the point where it's basically totally unapologetic about bugged products released ahead of schedule, unexplained delays, (some patches in UO have been up to a year and a half late from promised date, over seemingly simple and frustrating bugs too), and are notoriously indifferent in customer support and technical assistance.

I like the game, but hate the company.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

That SUCKS!!! Damnit!!!
    At least i got a E-mail from Ming-Sheng Lee at Magitech Corporation. Do you remember the game called "Takeda"? I am a Beta Testing!! Cool..

http://www.ezgame.com/Takeda/home.html

EasyCo
    Takeda war banner: Swift as the wind
    Silent as a forest
    Fierce as fire
    Immovable as a mountains
    EasyCo Dojo

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

wow. if it's being pushed back that far, there may yet be a chance i may be around to catch it and be able to access the .Org within a decent period of time without being too far behind (it's a given that the first four weeks of the release will be dominated by complaint-threads or newbie-threads)

I can understand shops and game related websites making mistakes and even the developers dropping dates and hints'but they OFFICIALLY posted the June 29th on their own site'so how can they do this?

Where is the great Daimyo Richie Skinner?
    Ashamed to show his face?

Hach

P.S can anyone post me a url for the community site forum as i cannot get access from works computer without one.
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!

Hehehe we get this again huh. Oh well. For those of you who didn't experience STW regular being pushed back - imagining having nothing to play at all.

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well I want ton know why they posted a date before Quality control? When it would still be likely of being put back? Well I guess I am just being sensible.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

A few thoughts (mostly unpleasant) reagarding the push-back on the release date:

1. Anssi Hakkinen's previous message linking the pushback to a QC failure is a pretty good guess, and that's really bad news. EA has been known to release partially completed products in the past; if the beta was so bad it couldn't pass even THEIR quality control check, God help us.

2. Does the month delay mean that the MP strategic game will now be included? (*snork* just kidding!)

3. Nice try on the attempt to "spin" the delay in a positive light with the "simultaneous rollout of all language versions at the same time". La-de-frigging-da.

4. EA certainly HAS done a good job in keeping a tight muzzle on the beta test team. When these guys finally get uncorked, I'll bet they;ve got some interesting stories to tell...

Do I sound bitter? Yep. There's no excuse for announcing a release date and then recending it with no explanation. Would it hurt so much to say "we found a problem in the such-and-such calculation and we want to fix it before we release the update"? I can understand delays, but these three-week extension bombs with zero explanation are getting on my nerves...

------------------
    "This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who."
    "This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who."

Hey they don't care how bitter we are. Who knows next month they will probably push it back again, but they know that we will still buy it no matter when it comes out. An explination would be nice, but that will never happen.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Well... that just means CQC found a bug. I say: better them than us!

By the way... whose smoking gun is this???

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

first off, you guys shld understand one thing, EA has NOTHING to do with production or quality control, so blaming them for the delay or the no explanation is quite simply, wrong target. if you read the credits of the game you'll see that i'm right. EA is ONLY the distributor.

second, anyone that's been online for any length of time knows all about 'vapor-ware'. such and such is due out at such and such a time and it doesnt arrive. in this industry it's almost a standard. whenever you see a release date for something, it's more like a notice of, 'this is what we're shooting for, but dont hold us to it' type notice. it's prolly not a good idea, but it seems to happen a lot, so you just take it in stride. you'll often hear about a given piece of software going on like this for a year or more. it's really not that uncommon. i think starcraft and diablo II were both delayed for over a year.

as for an explanation as to why it was delayed, you might ask yourselves why CA doesnt post on the forums any more and i think that may explain the lack of an explanation, at least to some extent.

i do understand the disappointment. and hopefully CA will alter their pr practices a bit. course, that might mean we wont hear anything till it's gone gold. ;)

K.

Four words to remember, let's all say them together shall we:

AGE OF SAIL TWO.
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

Well said Kraellin.

Peace.

Let's all just be glad that we're still in summer, because EA is really really really bad about pushing to get products released for the Christmas shopping rush regardless of flaws, case in point being Ultima Ascension (single player game, never played it but heard from everyone who did that it was OBVIOUS it was just released for the Christmas $$$ spree and should have been in debugging for another three months at least). If this were November we'd probably all have our expansion packs and Yari Ashigaru would be taking down 12 units of Mongol Cavalry apiece. (Oops, who gave them 29 honor?) Hehe

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    Well, what must we think of it?
    From the sky we came.
    Now we may go back again.
    That's at least one point of view.
    -Hojo Ujimasa's seppekku poem.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

There's a possibility that many of us have forgotten in our frustration over the delay and it was hinted at in Richie's post, localization.

Those of you who have been here since the beginning will remember the irritation and occasionally outright anger of non-English players of the game at the delays they were forced to endure waiting for patches while those of us who had the English version of the game were able to continue playing.

In his post Richie specifically mentions that as a result of the delay in release, it will be released worldwide simultaneously. My thinking is that CA/DT made the decision to hold off on the release until it was ready for everyone in order to avoid the localization issues faced with previous releases.

The good news, in keeping with my line of thought and belief, is that there is nothing wrong with the Mongol software itself. This delay, while irritating, will also provide the developers with additional time to test the software and ensure an even more stable platform than it is now.

Just a thought.........

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Kraellin,

You are wrong about one thing: EA deinitely does have a say in Quality Control.

But whatever the reasons for the delay, I don't care. It wasn't finished so I don't want it. I'll wait til it's ready if you don't mind.

Yes, Age of Sail 2.
    Yes, Sea Dogs.
    Yes, probably another dozen titles apply.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast