Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The EBII Recruitment thread

Exclamation The EBII Recruitment thread

Greetings to all M2TW modders!

The Europa Barbarorum II project needs more talented modders to its ranks, so we're calling you! The skills that we have need are the following:

Modelers
    We ask for experienced modelers, even if not acquainted with the M2TW models and engine. No need to know about skinning. For this kind of work, we need someone willing to spend several hours per week, enough to produce 2 or 3 models per month.

Skinners
    We ask for experienced and talented skinners, capable of working under the tight scrutiny of our historians. The EB2 previews have shown many high quality skinning works, so if you think you can do them as well, then this job if for you. For this kind of work, we need someone willing to spend several hours per week, enough to produce at least 2 skins per month.

Scripters
    We need modders capable of coding the scripts that we need:
    - scripters for tackling the large amount of traits in EDCT and ancillaries in EDA
    - scripters for coding the buildings trees and complex recruitment options in EDB
    - scripters for coding the campaign_script, where all the historical accuracy of EB2 comes to life
    It is important to have modders with experience in the M2TW engine, for this assignment, specially for the traits, which are extremely complex. We need someone willing to spend several hours per week.

UI 2D artists
    We ask for talented 2D artists, who can work in the culture UIs. For this kind of work, we need someone willing to spend a few hours per week, enough to produce 1 or 2 UIs per month.

Historians
    Actually, this is not a modders "job position", but we have some areas of expertise that we want to reinforce.
    We need historians who have a good knowledge about the following regions: Iberian Paeninsula, Bosphorus, Caucasus, Persian/Iranian Plateau and Eastern steppes. It's not necessary to have historians who know about gaming or modding or even TW games, but it's important that they have a good amount of spare time, because they will help shape up the cultural, historical and military aspects of the factions in those regions.

So, if you would like to join the Europa Barbarorum team and help producing EB2, then contact us in this thread or send a PM to QuintusSertorius or z3n, showing us some of your work and/or references to mods you've been envolved or documents you've written. This is an important part of the recruitment process because we always ask for your background knowledge. After that, we will get back to you ASAP.

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Last edited by z3n; 08-15-2021 at 19:01.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: The EBII Recruitment thread

I could probably do some decent UI work. I would have to ask for at least an example and a template though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaz View Post
    I could probably do some decent UI work. I would have to ask for at least an example and a template though.
    It's important for us to have experienced 2D artists, so please send us or post here some sample of your work in UIs, even if not related to classical age.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Here's a Rome Total War captain banner that I whipped up in about an hour:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Name:  Captainbanner.png
Views: 26440
Size:  3.1 KBName:  captainbanner_symbol.png
Views: 26398
Size:  4.0 KB

and a map that I made some time ago:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I haven't re-installed MTW2 yet. Once I do, I'll work on some stuff for that. I use GIMP, by the way.
    Last edited by Kikaz; 06-08-2011 at 06:54.

Studied history in university here in the U.S. and in Germany, good chunk of it classical history, id like to help by being a historian,

even though id prefer EBII to be set in the imperial era, il still help
    Last edited by Lange-zeit Spieler; 06-12-2011 at 23:24.

Dummy post. Deutschland here.

I am willing to help with research, i studied history in Binghamton University (SUNY) and University of Leipzig in Germany. Even though the crux of my studies were late middle-ages Europe and Renaissance Florence; I studied much classical history of the Roman and Hellenistic world. The parts of Roman history i spent the most work on was the Roman "conquest" of Greece up until around the battle of Pydna and after. The different leagues and their antics around that time haha. In terms of the older Hellenistic world that predates when EB starts Herodotus is my most studied historian, his first-hand accounts, although exaggerated, are priceless to me.

As it seems to me there are lots of different mods out there. A few years ago I started playing and collaborating with RTR, but I was soon turned off by that awful map with loads of fantasy regions and cities. this is way I started making a new map.
    It took me two years of research and work, but now it is ready and it seems to be stable. It is a complete rework of the original map going from Scotland to India. Everything is of unprecedented accuracy. You have loads of realistic mountain passes, river crossings, islands etc. Some rivers have even become partially navigable. The new rivers and mountain passes give lots of new strategic options that will make up for a completely new game feel. As an example: once you could prevent any invasion into Italy by closing 3 passes over the Alpes, but now your enemies have something like 17 options to reach Cisalpina.
    The number of regions is 197 (the maximum) and all are historically correct with exact borders as far as known. In most other cases I used rivers, mountains and forests to define the borders. All the major cities of the ancient world are included and each is in the right location as well as their ports. Many city sites have been highly improved, for instance Alexandria where you can watch the city plant with the Mareotis lake, the harbor and the island of Pharos and the lighthouse obviously in the right place on the island above the harbor. Very soon I'll be showing some screenshots.
    Now I need to fill this map with life and therefore I'm looking forward to add a modding comunity that gives me the best control and guarantees for historic accuracy.
    I admit that I haven't played Babaorum and thus I don't know which map you use. But if you'd like to improve yours to a completely new level, let me know your proposals on how this collaboration might work.

Hello Philadelphos,

Many thanks for your offer.

Europa Barbarorum II already has a map based on the Mundus Magnus map from Rome Total War. It has been developed and designed in collaboration with the needs of the mod and the gameplay, and it would not be feasible at this late stage for us to migrate to a new map. We ourselves have had numerous historians researching the full the gamut of sources to put together a map that is as historical as it can be. TBH, I don't think you will find any established modding teams and mods that would be willing to move to a new map. The work required to do so is a lot, and it would be almost impossible for an established mod to alter their mod to fit the constrictions of a third-party map after it has been in development for so long.

Foot
    P.S. The maximum number of provinces for a map is 199 land provinces and + 1 sea province.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Sounds really sweet, even if it is probably not possible to retrofit it into EB 2. Still, it's always good to have as many eyeballs on the map as possible because it's such a big thing that you can't really rely on a single piece of research to get it “right”, so it will be interesting to see if we've missed anything you found.

To expand a bit on Foot's post so you can see why your work is not likely to make it into EB at this stage: the geography and topography of the map are important but most parts of the mod which touch the map have relatively little to do with that.

For instance climate files are of course about the climates of the map, but on another level they are simply a tool to control how the battle field looks. So what specific climate is assigned to what part of the map is really arbitrary and depends on what you want a particular piece of map to look like on the battle field, more than what the climate actually is.

Similarly, location of cities or rather which cities make it to the final cut is more about what factions you have and what view you have on how your mod plays out than which ones are the best attested for a given date -- the map has to cover about 200 years of alternate history. RTR, for instance is (used to be?) strongly focused on the Romans so their map reflected this with a lot of cities/regions for the Mediterranean and the Aegean but far less towards the periphery.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 07-15-2011 at 17:40.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Unfortunately, the language barrier prevents me, in order to explain to you what I want. But fortunately, there are utility programs such as "Google Translator"

I'm from Ukraine. I'm studying in my third year at the Dnipropetrovsk National University. Faculty of History, Chair of World History.

I am happy to offer my services. At our university is a great library - the gifts of the Soviet Union.
    We consider various historians on the subject of truthfulness.
    For example, the same Gaius Julius Caesar was not a very good historian. He described the Gauls is subjective, but not objectively. We are looking at various documents to the truth, etc.

In the history of the Caucasus can I help - I'm half Avar (a ethnos of a living in the Caucasus).

And if my humble person you are interested then please reply to my message.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Hello Philadelphos,

We ourselves have had numerous historians researching the full the gamut of sources to put together a map that is as historical as it can be. TBH, I don't think you will find any established modding teams and mods that would be willing to move to a new map. The work required to do so is a lot, and it would be almost impossible for an established mod to alter their mod to fit the constrictions of a third-party map after it has been in development for so long.

Foot
    P.S. The maximum number of provinces for a map is 199 land provinces and + 1 sea province.
    Thanks for your honest answer. I knew that it would be difficult to adapt and insert my map into an already existing mod. So I'll probably have to start new mod from scratch. To be honest, I have been extremely disappointed by what I have seen on the RTR map and it put me off from trying out other mods. I would like to check the Europa Babaorum II map to see if your researchers came up with something better. Is there a screenshot or a list of your regions or something else?

As regards the maximum number of regions I too beleived that your numbers were right until I reached number 198 and got a CTD. So I convinced myself that the correct number is 197 since two colors are needed for the capitals and the ports. If you got your map working with 199 regions let me know how you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Sounds really sweet, even if it is probably not possible to retrofit it into EB 2. Still, it's always good to have as many eyeballs on the map as possible because it's such a big thing that you can't really rely on a single piece of research to get it “right”, so it will be interesting to see if we've missed anything you found.
    Thanks for your kind answer. One problem is indeed that most mappers focus on one or two preferred regions and pay less attention to the rest. I tried to avoid this, but some of my preferences might still be recognizable (Greece, Italy, Germany). In any case I am creating game maps of Europe for almost 25 years (the first were done on cartoon). I know almost every angle of the old continent. Since I've been working on this map for two years and my standards are very high, you can be assured that the result goes far beyond whatever your mappers may have created in the past.

For now I have posted some first screenshots here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053345252

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    Thanks for your kind answer. One problem is indeed that most mappers focus on one or two preferred regions and pay less attention to the rest. I tried to avoid this, but some of my preferences might still be recognizable (Greece, Italy, Germany). In any case I am creating game maps of Europe for almost 25 years (the first were done on cartoon). I know almost every angle of the old continent. Since I've been working on this map for two years and my standards are very high, you can be assured that the result goes far beyond whatever your mappers may have created in the past.

For now I have posted some first screenshots here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053345252
    That's a beautiful looking map. I see that you've based it on the RTW engine. Converting it to a MTW2 mod would be very difficult as the heights map is all different (we've had trouble with it). Additionally, cuts off a lot of the north that you've included in exchange for extending the map south and including Arabia.

As for number of provinces, there isn't any trick to it. You can have 199 provinces, and one sea province. Settlement and Port squares are black and white, and are not defined in descr_region. Best thing to do is do a colour count of the map and make sure you haven't got a wierd pixel in there that is the wrong colour.

Foot
    Last edited by Foot; 07-19-2011 at 22:28.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Thanks for your answer and the hint with the weird pixel. I'll check it.

Well, I checked it, but I can't find any strange pixels. So I guess I have to stick with 197 regions, at least for now.

I understand that there are technical problems and a completely different another extension of my map. So it seems pretty difficult to implement it into EBII. But maybe one day you'll want to consider it for EBIII or for a completely different project. In the meantime I'll keep working on some minor features such as resources or rebel factions.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; 07-19-2011 at 22:43.

Hello Eb Team!
    I noticed you have a need for a historian with knowledge of the iberian peninsula, I currently reside here (though i'm Italian) and would be glad to you with all the knowledge at my disposal. I'm studying Psicology at the university of Sevilla, we have a pretty good library and my history professor is an enormous source of information. Plus, the internet is always useful in case of emergency XD
    Let me know if I can be of any help!
    Hope I'll be able to collaborate with you!
    -David

Hey guys,

This is the only game I'm looking forward to and I'd like to help out. I'm immersed in source material right now, I just finished school so I have free time when not at work, and I've been plowing through lots of primary source material from 323 BC-312 AD. I can help with topographical and historical accuracy of the map, ancient Iberian, Mādai, Swēbaz, and Roman history, and coding ancillaries, recruitment, and building, plus some scripting and the like. I'm especially privy to lots of interesting geographical differences between modern and ancient world, water levels, elevations, fertilitiy, and resources, OH man do I know resources. I also have a keen understanding of military as well as cultural and socio-economic aspects of ancient cultures, though I admit I'm a bit weak on the diadochi, I know my stuff west of the dardanelles prior the Antonine era, and everything else after it. I worked on RTR VI (check the credits) and I hope I can help you guys polish what needs polishing.

Boris' Flumen, Mare, Terra, et Provincia Minimod -- Some of my work, a trifle but the last thing I put out before school demanded too much from me and I quit gaming for a while.
    Last edited by borispavlovgrozny; 08-19-2011 at 15:23.

Hi

I have a lot of free time in my job (the most of the time I have nothing to do at all). I don't know how can I help you. I am a telecommunication engineer, found of history and psychology. I know Albanian, Italian, French and English. I also have some programming skills. If you need anything let me know!

I hope you like 2D Art...send PM to Foot.

We have some work for people capable with Java. If you'd like to help and want to apply below follows the “profile”:

• You are “fluent” in Java 6, or at least quite comfortable with anonymous inner classes, generics, abstract enums and know your way around the standard library. No need to be an expert with the VM or intimately familiar with the language spec.
    • You have a good/thorough understanding of XML and specifically the SAX model for parsing it.
    • You are self sufficient, in the sense that you are able to work on your own for extended amounts of time and do not require someone to babysit you to see some progress. This implies the ability and willingness to learn/research things on your own. You have tenacity: problems solely exist to be solved, not to deter you from progressing at all.
    • You are able to communicate. We do not expect you to log your activities or something, but you will need to keep the team informed about general state of play in your project. We understand that there will always be that thing called “real life”, but we do expect you to let us know when it happens. It's no good to us if you can be summed up as “being assigned a project, saying hi, then vanishing completely for months ignoring any attempt to contact you”.

... With bonus points for:
    • XSLT (1.0)
    • JavaScript as implemented by the Mozilla Rhino interpreter.
    • JScript as used in WSH (for automating tedious tasks).
    • POSIX sh (idem, also used for stuff like release scripts).
    • Python (used for some tools, may be needed in future for updating/porting work of stock community tools once Python 2.x finally has gone the way of the dodo.)
    • C
    • C++

To put that in some context: internally we have a tool which can convert our unit descriptions (in XML) into a RTF representation (hackish, true, but works as it's really basic RTF code) for proofing by people who don't like to stare at walls of monospaced text with tags in a text editor. That's the sort of side project that occasionally crops up. Another (ongoing) example: reverse engineer the event DAT file structure and write a tool to generate that binary from source code.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 10-17-2011 at 04:12.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    We have some work for people capable with Java. If you'd like to help and want to apply below follows the “profile”:

• You are “fluent” in Java 6, or at least quite comfortable with anonymous inner classes, generics, abstract enums and know your way around the standard library. No need to be an expert with the VM or intimately familiar with the language spec.
    • You have a good/thorough understanding of XML and specifically the SAX model for parsing it.
    • You are self sufficient, in the sense that you are able to work on your own for extended amounts of time and do not require someone to babysit you to see some progress. This implies the ability and willingness to learn/research things on your own. You have tenacity: problems solely exist to be solved, not to deter you from progressing at all.
    • You are able to communicate. We do not expect you to log your activities or something, but you will need to keep the team informed about general state of play in your project. We understand that there will always be that thing called “real life”, but we do expect you to let us know when it happens. It's no good to us if you can be summed up as “being assigned a project, saying hi, then vanishing completely for months ignoring any attempt to contact you”.

... With bonus points for:
    • XSLT (1.0)
    • JavaScript as implemented by the Mozilla Rhino interpreter.
    • JScript as used in WSH (for automating tedious tasks).
    • POSIX sh (idem, also used for stuff like release scripts).
    • Python (used for some tools, may be needed in future for updating/porting work of stock community tools once Python 2.x finally has gone the way of the dodo.)
    • C
    • C++

To put that in some context: internally we have a tool which can convert our unit descriptions (in XML) into a RTF representation (hackish, true, but works as it's really basic RTF code) for proofing by people who don't like to stare at walls of monospaced text with tags in a text editor. That's the sort of side project that occasionally crops up. Another (ongoing) example: reverse engineer the event DAT file structure and write a tool to generate that binary from source code.
    I'm so sorry Tellos I am a telecommunications engineer. I don't have experience with java or XML.

Man, i'm a huge fan of TW, and even more EB:TW. I can't skin or model, but I really wish to learn, i have plenty of time. Could someone teach me so I can help you? I have smething like at least 3 hours a day to model/skin. I'm a great hand drawer (being modest xD), if it matters...

EDIT: I mean, i would love to learn how to model and skin, and if i worked on EBTW, that would be really good to my future "Modding Curriculum" xD I really love mods from Total War, as it looks to be easier to mod than a lot of other games, as most games have really few mods. Anyways, I want to learn, help you, and i have a LOT of useless time at the afternoon when i sleep =/ I know, it's pretty depressing to sleep 15 hours a day...
    Last edited by MarcoA; 11-11-2011 at 00:01.

Sorry MarcoA, but due to how we busy are with the mod and our real life commitments, no one on the team has the free time to teach people how to skin and model, you will need to do that on your own.

If you are really serious about learning then there are plenty tutorials on modelling and skinning to be found on youtube and the internet in general. There are also quite a few tutorials to be found in the mod workshops of this site and the TWC. When you feel you are sufficiently skilled, try making a sample model or texture (it doesn't have to be both) and post some pics back here so we can assess you work. Best of luck!

Do you guys still need a use for Historian?

Depends in what area, what do you focus on and how knowledgeable are you? (qualifications, access to academic texts, examples of work etc)

I shall PM you with more information later if you don't mind!

Hey guys, do you still need modellers? I can use Max or Maya and if you still need help, I'll PM you with some stuff later.

Hi ZePupster, we are most definitely still looking fo modellers, please PM me some examples of your work when you have the time and I can pass them on to the rest of the team.

Hi!

Do you still need historians for the Iberian Peninsula? I'm portuguese, and although I'm not a historian, I graduated in economics, have a masters in management, and I huge interest in history. I'd like to help, not only 'cause I think you're doing an amazing job, but also 'cause this way I can learn more. I'd have no problem in reaching out to faculty departments, museums and other institutions who might help providing knowledge. We have a lot of information about the celtic and roman periods.

Let me know, maybe I can help somehow!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast