Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Punches Student, Teacher Wins Criminal Case, There Was Much Rejoicing

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Teacher Punches Student, Teacher Wins Criminal Case, There Was Much Rejoicing

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cle1173240.ece

I would expect nothing less from a ginger

When the Chineese surpass us this will be the reason. Not some test scores or a debt ceiling but lack of respect is what is going to cripples us

This kid should be taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Default Re: Teacher Punches Student, Teacher Wins Criminal Case, There Was Much Rejoicing

My mother is afraid she is going to smack one of her students. She is a fiery little lady so I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, I wouldn't be incensed either the things they call my mother....... and these are seventh graders. What the article cites the boy as saying is included. I mean I wanna go smack them around for her. She found a carving on the wall in a blind spot saying Mrs. Centurion is a dyk bich. Thats what we are dealing with gentlemen little turds who can't even spell their insults...... Dammit when I was little I remember the first words we learned how to properly spell were the bad ones they are the only thing children use the damn dictionary for.

Also I blame parents and the administration letting parents do what they want so they dont take flak. Thats why the teachers union despite its liberal agenda and my usually universal hatred for unions get some support from me because of how I see my mother is treated. And the administration would screw her over even more but the Union does still fight for them a little.

As a result I blame not the teachers for our dumb out of control new generations but the failure of educational administration and parents. Especially parents.

Edit: Also my mother teaches honors math.......... I kid you not. Honors.
    Last edited by Centurion1; 06-05-2011 at 07:27.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teacher Punches Student, Teacher Wins Criminal Case, There Was Much Rejoicing

I have to agree. A student who thinks he can get into a teacher's face while yelling vulgarity deserves worse.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

One thing I do not stand for as a parent is disrespect from a child/minor. I know spanking is frowned upon these days, but I frown a lot when I think about our society. So I think we're even.

Usually Kids who respect and fear their parents respect and fear their teachers and other people in authority. Otherwise good luck. I for one would and have never disrespected a teacher or anybody in public. Hell, I curse like a sailor but that doesn't mean thats how I talk to a teacher no matter my dislike for them.

fear?

No fear is not the intended effect

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Fear is good. Fear leads to respect. No one is asking you to love your teacher. You should fear the repercussions if you misbehave. This leads to maturity and respect for the position so that you no longer wish to misbehave anyway.

Fear does not lead to respect. You are doing things backwards

Blog Entries

Discipline; youngsters demand it, even if they don't know it. Fear may be a consequence of discipline, then again a little fear never hurt anyone, it prevents us from making stupid decisions.

It most certainly can. And respect does not lead to fear. Obviously additional factors have to be added in as well as pure fear is never a good thing.

Fear doesn't always lead to respect

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not going to lie, I've been trying to work that picture in for a week. I figured I'd have a slam dunk considering Louis is taking a trip down late 19th-early 20th century high society lane trying to define "whiteness" by certain "charcterisicis" but I digress

I do not respect people due to fear. Fear is a volatile emotion which always ends up badly. Respect is what you should aim for, fear is easy to instill ask any batterd wife

There is the fear an assaulted woman feels and there is the fear where someone is worried about the repercussions of their actions. Should people not fear the consequences of breaking the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    There is the fear an assaulted woman feels and there is the fear where someone is worried about the repercussions of their actions. Should people not fear the consequences of breaking the law?
    I'm not even sure what you're saying here....are you implying differing degrees of fear?

To an extent but many people know the consequences of breaking the law and still do it. It is better to fully understand why crim is a detriment to society in the first place. Which brings me back to the fact that fear is often used in place of a more complex emotion/concept for the sake of simplicity (of tecahing the concept, of actually discipling your kids, etc)

I should never fear those in authority, I think that was your first point but I may have lost in the commition of backpedaling off your main arguement
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-05-2011 at 08:23.

I haven't backed off its 3:30 I need to stop soon. And those people who break the law are deviants within society and are not considered functioning members equivalent to their varying levels of crime. Sure it is better to understand why something is wrong but not everyone in society can grasp what may appear to be a simple concept for you. As a result they need something to fear. Any sort of punishment is simply designed to feared so that you believe that the crime is not worth the punishment. Disciplining your children results in them fearing punishment which may in time lead to respect. But the basis of that obedience and respect for the law is a healthy does for what the law can do to you if you **** with it.

The original statement is

Usually Kids who respect and fear their parents respect and fear their teachers and other people in authority. Otherwise good luck. I for one would and have never disrespected a teacher or anybody in public. Hell, I curse like a sailor but that doesn't mean thats how I talk to a teacher no matter my dislike for them.
    Fear of your parents beget fear in all authority figures, Can you not see where this could be a problem? Can you not see where this could not be healthy? Could you not see where fear could ruin the relationship?

Fear is not very conduicve to a teaching enviorment, respect is. People often confuse the two but the results speak for themselves

Blog Entries

You guys forget how different your minds were when you were adolescent, or children. Children are far more open to suggestive thinking than we are, in the five years I've had my kids I've only ever had to spank them twice. Now they understand when I give them "that look" they instantly recall the last time-- that suggestive thinking works it's way into your mature mind, so eventually you'll deviate- Do the wrong thing on occasion, but your mind still has that subconscious recall, your mind has been structured this way; if it lacks that structure chances are you'll continue to deviate until disaster.

Look your consider this backpedaling but I never said that fear is the most vital element or that you fear your parents. Rather fear your parents punishments. My argument is simply that fear of punishment will create a better society. That is reasonable is it not. As well shouldn't people fear the consequences of their actions. Woe to the world that creates a society which does not fear their consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Waki View Post
    You guys forget how different your minds were when you were adolescent, or children. Children are far more open to suggestive thinking than we are, in the five years I've had my kids I've only ever had to spank them twice. Now they understand when I give them "that look" they instantly recall the last time-- that suggestive thinking works it's way into your mature mind, so eventually you'll deviate- Do the wrong thing on occasion, but your mind still has that subconscious recall, your mind has been structured this way; if it lacks that structure chances are you'll continue to deviate until disaster.
    Fear. And is that fear unhealthy? I say no. I think your children are not afraid of you they are afraid of being bad and receiving rightful punishment. This in no way disallows them from loving and respecting you, their father.
    Last edited by Centurion1; 06-05-2011 at 08:49.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    The original statement is

Fear of your parents beget fear in all authority figures, Can you not see where this could be a problem? Can you not see where this could not be healthy? Could you not see where fear could ruin the relationship?

Fear is not very conduicve to a teaching enviorment, respect is. People often confuse the two but the results speak for themselves
    If fear is the recognition that something or someone is vastly more powerful that you it is entirely healtyh, just like a healthy sense of shame is a recognition that others do have the right to judge your actions.

The real problem with society today is the endemic self-righteous that infects it.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I don't see a problem with the video, the student clearly tried to threaten her, doesn't really matter whether or not he touched her.

Had he tried that with my latin teacher, he may have ended up much worse, he once pushed a guy against the door for just being a jerk.

It's also funny how quickly these jerks play the victim afterwards, that's the really pathetic thing.
    Last edited by Husar; 06-05-2011 at 15:16.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Fire the teacher for complete incompetence and slam her bitch ass in jail for child abuse.

I skipped reading this thread after a few posts because my stomach started acting up.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Fire the teacher for complete incompetence and slam her bitch ass in jail for child abuse.

I skipped reading this thread after a few posts because my stomach started acting up.
    Lol, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Lol, what?
    This case has two seperate issues. The first is about classroom management, and the second is about responding to deviations from the established norms. And she failed in epic fashion on both counts. The first fail should cost her the job, the second should send her to prison.

She is clearly incapable of establishing and maintaining a working learning enviroment. And when you fail at that, you are an incompetent teacher and should seek employment elsewhere. It only serves to fuel my prejudices that she is an art teacher and started around age 40. That fact didn't raise my eyebrow a single millimeter.

She also is clearly unable to see the appropriate response when someone breaks a norm. And the choice she made is a clear case of child abuse, as that is the name we have for violence when the victim is under 18. Slam her saggy behind to the prison gang bang showers.

Also, Strike, a school shouldn't have a teaching enviroment, it should have a learning enviroment. But I do believe that this hag shares that confusion with you.

A general comment at the end: Verbal abuse is enough to best up a kid? Puh-lease! It should be viewed as constructive criticism to how you go about your job, and through reflection you might learn how to correct your practice so it does not happen again.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 06-05-2011 at 20:35.

Blog Entries

Lol. Alright there, cupcake. Some parents raise their kids to if their parents won't do them the favor, society will... this kid is going to have a lot more to worry about than teachers punching him in the face.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 06-05-2011 at 20:37.

Good teachers have disiplined kids and an easy job.

Bad teachers have brats and their job is a hell.

That's the reality.

As for "you're a cupcake", I have no idea what that even means...

Your cute horetore. Welcome to American public education. You will notice she won teacher of the year last year. You probably teach at some private school. Welcome to the harsh reality of low income public schooling.

Blog Entries

Besides the video isn't a good reference, it actually appears that either one of them could have made first physical contact; This is why the prosecutors dropped the case, it isn't a clear violation... if the student hit the teacher, the teacher does have the right to defend herself.. and the DAO could not find any reasonable evidence to suggest that the attack was malicious in intent.

Cupcake= Thin Skinned.

Your cute horetore. Welcome to American public education. You will notice she won teacher of the year last year.
    I place absolutely zero weight on such prizes. I am also highly sceptical about praise from students in general, I much prefer criticism and wishes for the future.

You probably teach at some private school. Welcome to the harsh reality of low income public schooling.
    Hah!

In breach of internet anonymity, I'll share my workplace with you: I work at Åssiden Barneskole(baneskole means elementary school). Åssiden is a part of the city of Drammen, and the second lowest income area after Fjell. The ethnic make-up of my class is 40-60 immigrant-ethnic norweegian, for the entire school it's roughly 50-50 I believe. If you draw a line from the Balkans to India you will catch most of their countries of origins, with a couple of africans and a vietnamese thrown in to spice it up. While there isn't as many "red students"(code-name for students with something "going on", ranging from a messy divorce or drunk parent to much worse) as at the grade below, there are still plenty of them who currently needs extra attention in that area, or who have been in that situation before. There are also many students with extra learning needs(like little math knowledge or still learning the language). It's quite rare that I have a full class, it's mostly 60-80%, but it's not uncommon for half of my students to be taken away by the special educations teacher.

That's my reality. Please, if you wish to make a serious argument, try to avoid making ridiculous, laughable and untrue assumptions about other people.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    I have to agree. A student who thinks he can get into a teacher's face while yelling vulgarity deserves worse.

CR
    Me and CR agreed on something. The Rapture is upon us!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Hah!

In breach of internet anonymity, I'll share my workplace with you: I work at Åssiden Barneskole(baneskole means elementary school). Åssiden is a part of the city of Drammen, and the second lowest income area after Fjell. The ethnic make-up of my class is 40-60 immigrant-ethnic norweegian, for the entire school it's roughly 50-50 I believe. If you draw a line from the Balkans to India you will catch most of their countries of origins, with a couple of africans and a vietnamese thrown in to spice it up. While there isn't as many "red students"(code-name for students with something "going on", ranging from a messy divorce or drunk parent to much worse) as at the grade below, there are still plenty of them who currently needs extra attention in that area, or who have been in that situation before. There are also many students with extra learning needs(like little math knowledge or still learning the language). It's quite rare that I have a full class, it's mostly 60-80%, but it's not uncommon for half of my students to be taken away by the special educations teacher.

That's my reality. Please, if you wish to make a serious argument, try to avoid making ridiculous, laughable and untrue assumptions about other people.
    Which makes it sound quite a bit like the "good" public school in my area. Your simply lying if you don't have discipline problems. To add to that you teach what was it you said? 3rd graders. The poor behavior can begin then but its never going to be as bad as a junior high schooler or secondary student. Also your a man (i hope ) as compared to the 65 year old woman in the case. Has one of your third graders ever backed you against a wall and called you vulgar names?

I currently teach the seventh grade, meaning 12/13-year olds and about to make the switch from elementary to middle school, which generally makes them rather rowdy. I've also worked at all three grades in middle school(meaning from 13 to 16 year olds).

Of course "vulgar name calling" has occured where I have worked(though not at me). But escalating a situation that's gotten out of hand is never the answer. First thing you learn is that student behaviour is always a mirror of your own behaviour. Keeping cool is critical. And since when has working out situations when tempers are flaring ever worked...?

As for general disipline at the school, it is incredibly good, which I attribute to the schools method of handling and preventing breaches. And no, punching kids aint one of the methods. And that's not just my personal feeling, my professor was "surprised at how disiplined they were" when he visited. And that, I might add, was during a class which I personally felt they were getting way out of hand...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 06-05-2011 at 22:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast