Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for the next TW game

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Default Re: Suggestions for the next TW game

I'd like to see a version I can install without Steam so I'd be able to play TW again.

Assuming such happens (I'm not holding my breath), I'd like to see a fantasy game. I think it could be fun and there couldnt be any complaints about unit movement rates. How fast does an elf unit run anyway?
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Korean invasion (i.e the Samurai invasion of Korea) would the obvious DLC.

The podcast interview with Jack Lusted of CA at least indicates that they are working on more content for STW2 so another DLC doesn't seem to be that unlikely.

Rome 2 is obviously going to be the next real game - I just hope that they resist the temptation to remake RTW including the Mummy Returns Egyptians and the fantasy barbarian units as next time we won't have the option of modding them out.

Personally I'd love to see a Renaissance/Reformation TW game that expanded to include the whole of Eurasia, North Africa and the bits of America worth conquering in this era (i.e. the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas).

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

R2TW will be such a let down for me, as others mentioned there are so many periods left untouch: Renaissance/Reformation, Dark Ages/Charlemagne, Warring States, Rise of the Maurya or even a later period in India, rise of the Persian Empire, Archaic/Classical Greece, something in Mesopotamia maybe with Akkad...

What does surprise me is the lack of an American Civil War expansion - if Empire and NTW were moddable we'd probably already have one as the battles are still fairly similar.

Admittedly however good you make the Confederate troops and generals they can't possibly win if the resources available to the both sides are properly factored in.

But that could have been handled by giving the Confederates easier victory conditions (i.e. hold most of the South and take Washington DC).

The Age of Victoria total war could also have been a feasible expansion - start in 1861 with the whole globe as the campaign map (OK circumnavigation could be a problem), quarterly turns (obviously ships have to be able to move a lot faster) and a tech treeending in dreadnoughts, tanks and poison gas.

Any news on the next era?
    I would like Vietnam war era but don't think that possible!
    Would rather they stick with the stw2 era and just improve on wot we got now. If they wanna make more money just add a expansion pack to push this game forward and improve and remove the bugs issues we already got!
    Won't hold my breathe though:p

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin View Post
    What does surprise me is the lack of an American Civil War expansion
    Admittedly however good you make the Confederate troops and generals they can't possibly win if the resources available to the both sides are properly factored in.
    Rescources alone would've meant nothing. As James McPherson noted, there are several countries in world history who, despite the desperity of rescources, outlasted a foe with better rescources. The American Revolutionairy war is one example, or both Vietnam wars, or the Dutch and Swiss revolts against the Habsburgs.

The Confederacy came dangerously close to recognition after the 2nd Bull Run and the Trent Affair. Britain was very close to calling a cease fire and de facto recognizing the southern states. France wanted to recognize the Confederacy from the bat but were held back by waiting for the English.

The Confederacy would have different victory conditions, such as winning a diplomatic victory by getting a cease fire after winning enough battles and territory. Union would have to destroy all Confederate armies on the field. Would make for an interesting campaign. The real problem is of course that there are only 2 factions. That's probably the reason we won't see an official CA release on the theme.

So what about the Peninsula War DLC? - that only has two sides.

What about a fertile crescent based total war? Starts off sometime in the thousands BC and goes till maybe 500ish BC when Persia conquered it all. So then you'd get factions like the Assyrians, the Babylonians, Hittites, Egyptians, Israelites, Elamites, etc. Very slowly, you'd see technology crawl forward and I suppose there'd be a greater diversity of religions. Occasionally, you might see nomads from beyond the area interfering with everyone.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Total War: Dynasty

"Dynasty" would cover the Three Kingdoms period in Chinese history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_kingdoms

The movie Red Cliff shows what kind of action comes with this era!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFquq8Dz-E
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

I'm hoping they can change the way they handle experience and weapon/armor/accuracy upgrades. Getting units from upgraded buildings into the front lines is pretty tedious in SW2. It takes so many turns it feels like it's not worth it.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

It's not worth it. Since retraining was done away with there is no way to infer those bonuses onto old units. This is worsened by the fact that it is a conquest game and your troop producing centers are increasingly separated from your front lines.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My #1 wish is probably not possible and that is to allow for far more feature customization by the player. This would allow the player to set up a campaign how they like. I am thinking something similar to game setting sliders in console sports games. that way players could turn on off fog of war, difficulty etc. allowing for a greater range between pure simulation to arcade style. However I realize this would probably not be possible and incredibly buggy even if it was.

Features I would like are:
    Continue to expand the character development tree. This was a definite improvement over the old tech trees
    Improve the importance of logistics. As others said, make supply lines/baggage trains critical to gameplay
    Related to this is to make raiding more important to the game play. It has improved with each edition but still feels like an afterthought.

As far as periods go, there are so many to choose from, personally I would love a survey of Eurasia in 7th to 10th centuries. From Merovingian/Carolingian France to Tang China as well as the Arab conquests. however it might be interesting to do smaller scale games with more focused periods/settings like the peninsular war. the Thirty Years war definitely has potential.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Partner with Paradox, do the battles for Crusader Kings 2.

On a serious note, re-release Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 for modern graphics cards and operating systems. This is free money. Put 5 programmers in a room for a few weeks. You can even continue selling DLC for the newer games while you do this.

I'd pay full-price, $50 USD for a copy of Med1 working on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I'd pay full-price, $50 USD for a copy of Med1 working on my computer.
    You can buy an old card that will allow you to play STW1 and MTW1 for a half of this price or add another $50 and buy used laptop which allow you to play all sort of old games.

btw I'd like to see old, risk style map back. 3D maps are nice and colorful but I miss the feeling of being a king/general, sitting in a headquarter, planning campaigns and generally ruling my empire.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Thirty Years War would be wonderful, wonderful. Rome 2 would also be good, although I hope there's a better way to manage the civil wars than the three-faction Rome thing.

As a dedicated SP Creative Assembly catamite, I'd like to see continued improvements to the strategic map. Many good ideas already in-thread.

I just hope they bring back some classic TW controls that went away for no good reason. Things like alt-click to attack with the unit's secondary weapon or move while facing in the same direction; in earlier games the players had more control over our armies and needed less clicks, games like the first Medieval were simply more playable than Shogun 2. Compared to the control I had over my army in Medieval 1, Shogun 2 is almost like being a spectator

Dear Creative Assembly,

ANYTHING as long as you stay in Total War's strength, which is ancient and medieval warfare. Please no WWII Total War or anything past the era where guns and artillery were the norm. I panned Empires because of this and feel that Total War is not Total War unless it has spears and bows.

I'd love a feudal China game, to my knowledge no major game has ever covered this time or period outside of import games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms. But failing that, anything in the ancient or medieval era.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CirdanDharix View Post
    I just hope they bring back some classic TW controls that went away for no good reason. Things like alt-click to attack with the unit's secondary weapon or move while facing in the same direction; in earlier games the players had more control over our armies and needed less clicks, games like the first Medieval were simply more playable than Shogun 2. Compared to the control I had over my army in Medieval 1, Shogun 2 is almost like being a spectator
    While there are many brilliant improvements the battles are a step back. My main gripe is with the archers. Archers play a significant role in this game and they don't receive a height advantage. They tend to move when you assign them a target despite being told to hold.

However, a big improvement is that they don't have to finish their firing animation before moving. That's a huge plus.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    While there are many brilliant improvements the battles are a step back. My main gripe is with the archers. Archers play a significant role in this game and they don't receive a height advantage. They tend to move when you assign them a target despite being told to hold.

However, a big improvement is that they don't have to finish their firing animation before moving. That's a huge plus.
    Not shooting right into messy melees killing mostly their own comrades, and actually responding to changes in commands would be nice too.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Hmm...

For other games, I'd love to see something in the Archmenid (or however you spell it) dynasty.
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms, duh. Why the hell hasn't anyone done this yet? They all afraid of Chinese communists being displeased?
    The wars between the Khmer empire and its neighbors would be sweet, although no one knows much about them so you'd need a LOT of promotion.
    I don't know that it would really fit the current model well but a game or expansion set in the Aztec/Maya/Inca/Olmec groups would be unique.
    Something in the renaissance would be cool.
    One thing that's always been an addition I think strategy games need: islanders! Like, Easter Islanders, Hawaiians, etc...! Come on, how cool would it be to have a legion of tiki-torch bearing, stone idol banner, poisoned fish-bone spears chanting in red warpaint as they charged down a volcano! Awesome! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwindKing View Post
    Hmm...

For other games, I'd love to see something in the Archmenid (or however you spell it) dynasty.
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms, duh. Why the hell hasn't anyone done this yet? They all afraid of Chinese communists being displeased?
    The wars between the Khmer empire and its neighbors would be sweet, although no one knows much about them so you'd need a LOT of promotion.
    I don't know that it would really fit the current model well but a game or expansion set in the Aztec/Maya/Inca/Olmec groups would be unique.
    Something in the renaissance would be cool.
    One thing that's always been an addition I think strategy games need: islanders! Like, Easter Islanders, Hawaiians, etc...! Come on, how cool would it be to have a legion of tiki-torch bearing, stone idol banner, poisoned fish-bone spears chanting in red warpaint as they charged down a volcano! Awesome! :-)
    I agree with Romance of the 3 kingdoms,But I hope for Shogun 3,30 years wars.This idea of Islanders seem to spoil the concept of total war,I wouldnt buy it,

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    I agree with Romance of the 3 kingdoms,But I hope for Shogun 3,30 years wars.This idea of Islanders seem to spoil the concept of total war,I wouldnt buy it,
    lol well I wouldn't either. But what about as a mercenary unit ;-) I mean come on man...all those pork-and-pineapple pizzas havent given you a taste for the glory of kon-tiki? ;-)

lol well I wouldn't either. But what about as a mercenary unit ;-) I mean come on man...all those pork-and-pineapple pizzas havent given you a taste for the glory of kon-tiki? ;-)
    Nope,they didnt have ambition.Total war is based on hisotrical events and thats whats make's it so popular.Date,you are of one the date,You should learn to respect before cruelty,

Nope,they didnt have ambition.Total war is based on hisotrical events and thats whats make's it so popular.Date,you are of one the date,You should learn to respect before cruelty,
    Dude, Im JOKING. Lighten up lol.
    Yes, Total War is based on historical events. I love that fact. Historically, there WERE island nations like the Easter Islanders that had wars all their own. Honestly, I think a campaign based around island-to-island warfare, utilizing lots fo naval battles and beach invasions with jungle combat and massed poison-wielding troops would be cool.

Anyway. Is that quote from the Date campaign? Or are you talking to me directly? I'm confused.
    Watashi no kokoro ga hana degasu. Ano hana wa katana ya, anata-san no shi degasu! ;-)
    Last edited by NightwindKing; 08-11-2011 at 16:27.

Dude, Im JOKING. Lighten up lol.
    Yes, Total War is based on historical events. I love that fact. Historically, there WERE island nations like the Easter Islanders that had wars all their own. Honestly, I think a campaign based around island-to-island warfare, utilizing lots fo naval battles and beach invasions with jungle combat and massed poison-wielding troops would be cool.

Anyway. Is that quote from the Date campaign? Or are you talking to me directly? I'm confused.
    Watashi no kokoro ga hana degasu. Ano hana wa katana ya, anata-san no shi degasu! ;-)
    I'm talking to you in the historical way.

Islanders did not have any big ambitions.

For me im hoping for Rome 2. I loved Rome for all its faults, and it was by far the TW game i played the most except maybe the original medieval. i think they could do alot in the rome period and also they can change the time period scope so that it is a little different from the orignal rome.

Id also love to see a Greek TW game. but as i think i put in the page linked on the first page, this presents problems of scale. How do u present Greece on a complex enough scale, and represent the likes of the persian empire. if you did Greece with the major city states your probably looking at 10 or so factions just in greece. which would make a map of greece very complex but then you go to the vastnass of the persian empire.

like i said in my other thread they would either have to do just greece, and make it extremely complex OR do greece with only 3-4 factions and have persia as the main focus of the game.

I would also love to see a mongol total war but this has the obvious problem of the fact that the mongols didnt have cities. a possible way to fix this would be to have the mongols setting up some1 to rule a city for them, which is historically acurate, but the player wud have limited control of the city and only recieve a tribute benifit from it. all recruiting for the mongol faction could be either units spawning over time from the armies themselves or recruiting units from armies on the march.

of course if they can overcome the minor problems of the mongols, the scope of the game is huge, it could stretch from hungary in the west all the way thru china and the middle east to india. a massive scope of possible factions and a units.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuBee View Post
    ancient Greece! :D
    fixed and also please make it be greece

I'm talking to you in the historical way.

Islanders did not have any big ambitions.
    About as big as the ambitions as anyone else. Sure, there was less land to work with but what's the big difference between conquering an island chain in the middle of the Pacific and conquering some islands just off the coast of China?

From Captain Cook landing on Hawaii till the total conquest of Hawaii by Kamehameha is about 30 years. Certain enough time to make a good game. And the game could start beforehand and then later include the landing of Captain Cook as a scripted event. And from there, you would have several Hawaiian factions vying for power with possibly a few European NPC players trying to get an advantage. Christianity could be a major factor as the first missionaries showed up just a few years after Kamehameha died and they completely changed the religion of the islands. And the landing of Captain Cook seriously decreased the power of religion as many prohibitions had been violated without disaster occurring.

So there certainly could be enough to create a campaign out of the Hawaiian Islands during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist View Post
    About as big as the ambitions as anyone else. Sure, there was less land to work with but what's the big difference between conquering an island chain in the middle of the Pacific and conquering some islands just off the coast of China?

From Captain Cook landing on Hawaii till the total conquest of Hawaii by Kamehameha is about 30 years. Certain enough time to make a good game. And the game could start beforehand and then later include the landing of Captain Cook as a scripted event. And from there, you would have several Hawaiian factions vying for power with possibly a few European NPC players trying to get an advantage. Christianity could be a major factor as the first missionaries showed up just a few years after Kamehameha died and they completely changed the religion of the islands. And the landing of Captain Cook seriously decreased the power of religion as many prohibitions had been violated without disaster occurring.

So there certainly could be enough to create a campaign out of the Hawaiian Islands during that time.
    I love you.

;-)

I love you.

;-)
    Thanks! I went to Hawaii earlier this year on a Spring Term where we did lots of snorkeling and scuba diving and on the way, learned a bit about Hawaii and its history.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast