Thread: Takeda guides, hints and tips

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Takeda guides, hints and tips

Please, post your strategies, hints and tips for playing with the Takeda clan here.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Default Re: Takeda guides, hints and tips

No love for the Takeda at all?

Playing them at legendary and finding them relatively easy as you can generally establish good relationships with the Imagawa and Hojo to the south and the Murakami are feeble enemies who will invariably be conquered by someone else more friendly if you just sit back after defeating their initial invasion of Kai.

Then you just sell military access and trade agreements and use the money to build up a full stack while waiting for the Hojo to declare war on one of the clans you've allied with - which will let you take Izu and its goldmine, Sagami with its blacksmith and Musashi.

Those 4 provs can then be turtled in for a few years until the Satomi, Satake or whoever takes over the provinces to the east attacks - which then opens up the road to Hitachi and other rich provs to the NE.

One thing I'd avoid is actually taking Shinano even if it is a mission (the benefits of completing which are pretty useless in the early game anyway) as its almost as bad an AI stack magnet as Owari without actually being of any economic value and will just embroil you in endless wars with the Uesugi, Ikko Ikki and whatever.

Admit to finding them a bit dull though - their elite units are cavalry that you can't really afford until the late game anyway and which are so nerfed (historically correctly) in this incarnation of TW that a cavalry-heavy stack is not the fun option it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin View Post
    One thing I'd avoid is actually taking Shinano even if it is a mission (the benefits of completing which are pretty useless in the early game anyway) as its almost as bad an AI stack magnet as Owari without actually being of any economic value and will just embroil you in endless wars with the Uesugi, Ikko Ikki and whatever.
    Like owari its a strategic important province.

i didn't care, i attack Shinano regardless but only with the initial unit.
    cause i am a boss and no one that attack me, lives to attack me another day.

immediately i start massing an army but not against shinano.
    hojo is my target, but first need to break imagawa relation with them and get access.
    hojo always move to take musashi, so get a trade deal with them for eyes.
    move our stack from kai into imagawa territory and wait for the attack.
    then backstab and capture the 2 province hojo start with.

at high difficulty it is very hard to keep the hojo province pacified since we taking 2 at once,
    however it is doable if we 2 unit are pump out of kai every turn without taxing them.
    hojo will still have a large stack at musashi, the goal is to bait them to recover those province.
    and attack musashi from kai with cavalry and general, that would wipe them out.

instantly we gain 3 province thanks to hojo generousity.

the main reason i want hojo land is because they have gold, blacksmith and sea access.
    from this point it basically a game of opportunity. many options are available.

now that we are ready to expand, shinano being a stack magnet can play to our advantage.
    defending castle is easier than open field, and while the enemy army is moving on shinano,
    the real campaign is to bring your cav around their flank and cap their provinces before they can react.
    i defeated uesegi and their vassal this way. and got a heroic victory for it from their attack on shinano

if they attack shinano, we attack from musashi,
    if they attack musashi, we attack from shinano.

but i think the most important reason it when well for me is the advantage of ninja to spies on everyone:

1. oda is interesting to watch you want them to survive to preoccupy imagawa.

if they are strong, they can steamroll into shinano.
    i usually ally with kiso and use them as a guard, position 1 unit at their castle.
    force any invader to attack by the field, even if they win, they will lose many unit then in auto-resolve.

if oda is weak and die, then we need to guard against imagawa immediately.
    i would then move some unit from shinano to kai instead.

2. useugi and vassal, they are quite some distance away which make intelligence MORE IMPORTANT!

moving a ninja help us detect enemy and give us about 2 turn to prepare.
    we also want to watch for useugi expansion elsewhere, like north or toward ikko ikki.
    if they do that, they be busy for awhile before we need to worry about them.
    if ninja are busy, trade right again comes in handy to spy on far enemies too.

3. ikko ikki and neighbours.

one of them would probably success in killing the other and threaten shinano.
    however they are usually not interest to come to shinano early since they have a few target to choose.
    keep a ninja(or monk just to piss them off) in the area to monitor the tilt of power.
    Last edited by lagrangewei; 05-30-2013 at 22:21.