Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC Thread

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OOC Thread

Well, Chancellor is the one who ends the turn. Usually, everything that the Chancellor have to do he will do when he ends the turn as well. Just give minimum of 24 hours to the people to take the save and make their moves.

I'll be sure to do that then. But as I've been working for hours on end since last week, I prefer to play when I have the time. Access to the internet is one thing. Access to the game however...
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games
    Kings of the Nile - Chancellor Meleagros Ptolemaios, Nomarch of Upper Egypt
    Clash of Gods - Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Wrath of the Khan II - Kingdom of France

I am from Terrae Nullius. (Australis).

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Does Activity as listed in the library have any effect on the game (for instance, in many of the major RPGs here missing about two coting sessions could result in losing a character)? I was surprised to check the voting thread last night, well ahead of the deadline, and find it had been closed already. I don't really mind if this was to expedite things (I assume I didn't have enough influence to affect whether any edicts passed or not) but don't want to be dinged every session the gm decides to finish early.
    Last edited by Zim; 06-16-2011 at 19:51.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Does Activity as listed in the library have any effect on the game (for instance, in many of the major RPGs here missing about two coting sessions could result in losing a character)? I was surprised to check the voting thread last night, well ahead of the deadline, and find it had been closed already. I don't really mind if this was to expedite things (I assume I didn't have enough influence to affect whether any edicts passed or not) but don't want to be dinged every session the gm decides to finish early.
    This is how it works here as well. Also, I explained why I closed the poll in the PM.

LeoCordis - I can't teleport your avatar to Side at the moment. Perhaps Ashurnasirpal can do it? But if the turn is not finished yet in the morning when I wake up then I'll teleport Bothos to Side. Just remember that you can't move the next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    This is how it works here as well. Also, I explained why I closed the poll in the PM.

LeoCordis - I can't teleport your avatar to Side at the moment. Perhaps Ashurnasirpal can do it? But if the turn is not finished yet in the morning when I wake up then I'll teleport Bothos to Side. Just remember that you can't move the next turn.
    Would be appreciated if he could do it this turn. And I think missing a turn is better than sailing or walking the whole way. :3
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

Cool Re: OOC Thread

Couple of questions here:

1- How does private unit recruitment works? Do we PM Ibn Khaldun? Can we use those funds to construct buildings? If so where? Only the city we're in? Or say, as Nomarch, anywhere in the Nomarchy? As Basileos, anywhere in the Kingdom?

2- From what I understand, any armies which aren't a regular or royal army are under the command of the Polemarchos, that would make Side's army my jurisdiction. This is a reference to my OOC comment in the Council thread.

Relevant rule
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Polemarchos (Chief of Armies)
    Requirements: None
    Influence: 2 during Emergency Council Session.
    Powers:
    (1) Can set the recruitment queue in every settlement in the kingdom.
    (2) Can lead an army of max 16 units.
    (3) This office is always held in the same time as other ranks.
    (4) If no one is elected in to this office then the Chancellor will receive it by default.
    (5) Can propose up to 5 Edicts and 1 Law during Emergency Council Sessions.
    (6) Can ban(or lift an existing ban) reqruitment in one settlement for a year(4 turns). This applies to Private units as well.
    (7) Can move captain lead armies any way he wishes.
    Penalties:
    (1) Cannot set recruitment queue in a settlement that belongs to an Allied kingdom.
    (2) Cannot recruit fleets.
    (3) Cannot move units through Allied kingdom if this is denied by the Allied ruler.
    (4) Cannot move units in the territory of Nomarchy if the Nomarch have denied so.

4.2 Regular Armies

Regular Armies consist of a minimum of 4 infantry regiments, 2 ranged and 2 cavalry regiments.
    For the purposes of this rule, Generals’ Bodyguard units do not count as cavalry regiments.
    Basileus will decide who commands it.
    Regular Armies can be created only during the Council Session by an Edict.
    All Regular Armies are marked with a number and a name of the region where they were first formed: 'IV Syrian Army'
    Regular Armies can be disbanded only during the Council Session using an Edict.

I don't see anything else on the subject. This is not 100% clear. What about an army that's lead by an avatar in-game, but has not been assigned as a regular army to that player?

3- What would happen if a unit is detached from a regular or royal army and left in a fort or city? Does that unit remain part of that army? Or is the army simply in need of replenishment while the unit is back under the command of the Polemarchos? Actually, are all garrisons by default under the Polemarchos' command? Is there no such title/rank/office as the governor of a single city?

The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashurnasirpal II View Post
    Couple of questions here:

1- How does private unit recruitment works? Do we PM Ibn Khaldun? Can we use those funds to construct buildings? If so where? Only the city we're in? Or say, as Nomarch, anywhere in the Nomarchy? As Basileos, anywhere in the Kingdom?
    Royal Treasurer is the person who you should contact if you want to recruit private units. At the moment it is me. You can either PM me or say what unit you want in the Treasury thread. You can construct buildings(with your private funds) only if certain Law/Edict that allows you to do it passes.

2- From what I understand, any armies which aren't a regular or royal army are under the command of the Polemarchos, that would make Side's army my jurisdiction. This is a reference to my OOC comment in the Council thread.

Relevant rule
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Polemarchos (Chief of Armies)
    Requirements: None
    Influence: 2 during Emergency Council Session.
    Powers:
    (1) Can set the recruitment queue in every settlement in the kingdom.
    (2) Can lead an army of max 16 units.
    (3) This office is always held in the same time as other ranks.
    (4) If no one is elected in to this office then the Chancellor will receive it by default.
    (5) Can propose up to 5 Edicts and 1 Law during Emergency Council Sessions.
    (6) Can ban(or lift an existing ban) reqruitment in one settlement for a year(4 turns). This applies to Private units as well.
    (7) Can move captain lead armies any way he wishes.
    Penalties:
    (1) Cannot set recruitment queue in a settlement that belongs to an Allied kingdom.
    (2) Cannot recruit fleets.
    (3) Cannot move units through Allied kingdom if this is denied by the Allied ruler.
    (4) Cannot move units in the territory of Nomarchy if the Nomarch have denied so.

4.2 Regular Armies

Regular Armies consist of a minimum of 4 infantry regiments, 2 ranged and 2 cavalry regiments.
    For the purposes of this rule, Generals’ Bodyguard units do not count as cavalry regiments.
    Basileus will decide who commands it.
    Regular Armies can be created only during the Council Session by an Edict.
    All Regular Armies are marked with a number and a name of the region where they were first formed: 'IV Syrian Army'
    Regular Armies can be disbanded only during the Council Session using an Edict.

I don't see anything else on the subject. This is not 100% clear. What about an army that's lead by an avatar in-game, but has not been assigned as a regular army to that player?
    Yes, Polemarchos can move any unit in any way he wishes. And yes, Side's garrison is under Polemarchos' jurisdiction.

3- What would happen if a unit is detached from a regular or royal army and left in a fort or city? Does that unit remain part of that army? Or is the army simply in need of replenishment while the unit is back under the command of the Polemarchos? Actually, are all garrisons by default under the Polemarchos' command? Is there no such title/rank/office as the governor of a single city?

That unit remains part of the army from which it was detached. If the owner of said unit have not mentioned in his SoT post that the Polemarchos can not move it then he, Polemarchos, can do it. Otherwise, only the owner of the unit can move it.
    Yes, all garrisons are under the Polemarchos' command.
    There is no title as the governor of a singl city. However, through Laws/Edicts it's possible to give governorship over a single city to someone. What powers(set build queue, tax rate etc) he have should be mentioned there as well.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I am from Terrae Nullius. (Australis).
    Batavia here.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Blog Entries

@ johnhughthom and Myth - Can I merge your conversation in the Stories thread into one post? The Agora was created exactly for this kind off IC conversations.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    @ johnhughthom and Myth - Can I merge your conversation in the Stories thread into one post? The Agora was created exactly for this kind off IC conversations.
    I've no problem with it, though it doesn't exactly fit in the Agora as it doesn't take place in Alexandria. I hadn't intended to spam the thread, just posted something to get it going, then Myth replied and it would be rude to ignore him.

Visorslash and Skullheadq, you can have your avatars teleported to a particular destination, like LeoCordis did, rather than have them walk all the way to the Holy Lands.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Visorslash and Skullheadq, you can have your avatars teleported to a particular destination, like LeoCordis did, rather than have them walk all the way to the Holy Lands.
    I like a walk.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

And when I am supposed to end the turn? It seems most people have played.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

You're supposed to end it after 24 years, but you're allowed to give extra time at your discretion.
    PBeM's

Blog Entries

And when I am supposed to end the turn? It seems most people have played.
    Like Leo said:
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoCordis View Post
    You're supposed to end it after 24 years, but you're allowed to give extra time at your discretion.
    Edit: You don't have to wait until everybody have taken the save. Also, it should be 24 hours and not years
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-17-2011 at 22:14.

Oh lord. :D
    PBeM's

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I prefer a walk. This way not only do I get to see beautiful sites, my funds accrue and I can buy an army when I get to my destination. On that note, will private units appear with the general?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I prefer a walk. This way not only do I get to see beautiful sites, my funds accrue and I can buy an army when I get to my destination. On that note, will private units appear with the general?
    No, they appear in the nearest settlement.

Bah. Oh well. I'll just walk to the nearest settlement to the Seleucids we have, recruit an army and go take me some land.

I'll do it tomorrow. Some people asked me to move their characters so I'll do that at the same time.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Ash, you didn't by any chance actually play that battle yourself, did you? I ask only because the rules require that battle to be autocalced, and, well, I think an autocalced victory like that is kind of improbable.

It looks likely enough for an AI seige defence to me.

Cool Re: OOC Thread

Autocalc. If I had played, we most likely would have lost. I started playing this mod only when I joined this game, 1 game with the Romans, and I'm being kicked around by both the Carthaginians and the Epirotes

But I am getting better though!
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

I've been playing EB for about 5 years, but pretty much my only experience with phalanx based armies was WoTB, I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen when I reach Paratoinon. Give me some men with bows on horses and I'm in my element, slow dudes with big spears I'm not so hot with.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Wait, the whole game is autocalc? Where's the fun in that?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

No no, only battles where no one's avatar is present are auto-calced.

Anyway, call me positively surprised, then. I was sure that we'd get AC screwed there.

It's okay to take the save now, right?

Yes, go ahead.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast