Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: OOC Thread

Default Re: OOC Thread

I should hope not, or else you enslaved our own people!

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Yeah, that would be slightly... how shall we say? "Inappropriate".

No, I displaced the population. In EB there is occupying/displacing/enslavement with the latter being the worse. I chose displacement because I imagined there would have to be some sort of punishment for the province being bribed.

And TCV I will have to remember to do that.
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

why would you punish the common people for the decision of a treacherous magistrate?

The people went along with it. The whole town is traitorous and dispelling isn't that harsh a punishment. At least they're not slaves.
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

Guys, this is a great argument to be having, but for God's sake, why are you having it OOC instead of roleplaying it IC? It's playing football on a slanted hill full of sharp stones when there's a clean and level field right next to it just waiting to be used.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-18-2011 at 23:56.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Sorry I haven't been active recently, I'll try to catch up today. One thing I noticed is the income, I know it's been mentioned before but naval trading income seems hugely inbalanced. The weakness was supposed to be susceptibility to pirates, two people have had their income cut in half by pirates, but are still making twice my income. Then again estates can be affected by bandits so that argument makes even less sense. Oh, and if Ammonion is my province shouldn't I be receiving it's (meagre) income?

I've been thinking about the Ammonion thing, and the reason why I haven't been giving you that income is quite simple. The rules make no mention of allied kings getting income from their settlement, but does refer to the Royal Treasury thread where all ways to increase your personal funds are supposed to be listed. There's no mention of anything it there, either, so I can't be giving it to you. Sorry. If it turns out that you should get it but he just didn't write it down for whatever reason, you will be compensated for it later, but with The Man not being present, I can only go by what I actually have in front of me.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This doesn't really belong here, but since I'm writing to you anyway, I believe I never thanked you for hosting that Crusader Kings game? Well, thanks. It was good fun while it lasted.

Edit: Oh, and also a little short notice, but we didn't earn twice as much as you even with our income halved. You're forgetting that we still paid the full 750 upkeep, which puts us about 103 money more than those with an estate in Alexandreia (the upkeep of the supervisors) and 6-700 more than you. So it's not quite as big a difference as you make it out to be, though it's certainly something that can be discussed.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-23-2011 at 21:13.

That's fair enough, it was more of a general musing anyway, rather than a straight out asking for the cash.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm glad you enjoyed Crusader Kings, I can't believe I was so stupid as to delete all my files. I've been working on something similar based on A Song of Ice and Fire, still very much a WIP though.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to update the Library in the following days. Also, I gave my thoughts about the Allied Ruler funduings in the other thread.

Edit: The Rules have been changed.

Edit2: Most of the Library is updated. Just need to update the pics as well.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 07-25-2011 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have been informed by our allies in the Hellenic League that they currently have a military force on the island who have been rather uncomfortably marooned for several years. They have agreed to assist my naval forces in capturing Krete, on the condition that we provide them with transport back to Hellas."
    I'm not sure that's allowed, I think it would need to be voted on in council at the very least.

Yeah, I can see two reasons why that's not allowed. Firstly, you may not enter the land of neutral factions without permission from the Basileus, and all Eleutheroi settlements are considered neutral. Secondly, you can't take it upon yourself to speak for another faction.

The first rule is IC so you can technically do it, do you are making yourself an outlaw and subject yourself to due punishment by doing so. The second, however, is not, and simply can't be done.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-25-2011 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I'm not sure that's allowed, I think it would need to be voted on in council at the very least.
    I know, I didn't say it is going to magically happen.

Also:

Rule 2.7
    Strategoi can attack Eleutheroi settlements with their Private units(and only with them) even if war has not been declared against that settlement.

So it is possible but not allowed based on... where?

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    Secondly, you can't take it upon yourself to speak for another faction.

I'm making an RP excuse for why the game's AI decided to leave the Koinon Hellenon faction leader and 7 units on Krete for no reason (The AI doesn't know how to move soldiers with its fleet competently, so they end up getting stranded. I was just trying to RP a way to "fix" what the flawed game AI did). If I were to besiege and assault the city, the AI Koinon Hellenon army would help me due to the Alliance- But how can I explain that, except by the means I have already used?

If this is some sort of breach in the rules, then I think game admin should use move_character cheat to move him away from there, He's been there since the game started in 272BC and hasn't even attacked Krete. AI just stranded their troops there.
    Last edited by Paul D; 07-26-2011 at 00:14.

In 1.4: "Players may not move avatars or armies into the territory of a neutral or allied faction without the permission of the Basileus."

I fell foul of the same law myself.

Whatever, I don't plan on trying to pocket the region anyway.

It's a lovely little catch to fall back on, innit?

No, Lysimachos's reason for doing this was to show the effectiveness of having a reformed navy with marine contingents. Given that Krete would at least have a weak reason (it is a Pirate Haven, and Lysimachos favors overseas trade, pirates bad for trade), as opposed to no reason, I decided to go there.

Given my character has the trait "Loyal" I don't think he would be interested in trying to become a petty king or warboss of some outland province.
    Last edited by Paul D; 07-26-2011 at 00:49.

Doesn't matter. He must have the Basileus' permission first, which he hasn't been given, so going there is a criminal action any way you look at it.

Give the poor guy a break, how was he to know how jealously you guard any scrap of power you have in these games TCV?

Sorry.

Paul, I hope you understand that I'm merely stating fact here, and if I come off offensive (or "overprotective of my powers", as some lesser men might have it) then it's just a failure of my internet communication skills. If you haven't landed there yet, which is how I take it, then you still have time to send the Basileus a message, telling him of your intentions and asking for permission to do it. I have a hunch he might give it to you.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-26-2011 at 01:34.

But he's already on the boat, and sent the message that he already chose to send, he can't just use his Sale-ular phone and call the king up and ask him.

Blog Entries

Basileus Philadelphos Ptolemaios:

"Excellent! Then I shall reinstate him as the commander of the 1st Syrian Army. He may let them retrain and restock in Syria as planned, or he may order them in another direction, as he deems fit.

It should also be recognized that for his efforts to the kingdom and to his king, Leontiskos Thraikikos has now earned the rank of Strategos Hetairos! Let all men of the Council treat him with due respect."
    From the Rules:
    Strategos Hetairos
    Requirements:
    (1) Must have won more than 10 battles. Battles against brigands do not count.
    (2) Must own an Estate.
    If johnhughthom have fought more than 10 battles and they are just not listed in the Battle Reports thread then he may have that Rank. Thogh, in that case, when did he received the Strategos Epilektos rank?

Ignore that. Forgot that john was an Allied ruler for a short time.

Paul D - The game revolves around the communication between players. Whether it's in threads or in private. Without it it's just a big singleplayer campaign.
    Also, during that time I think there was a busy naval trade between Alexandreia and Greece. So, it's always a chance to meet some merchant ships that travel in one of those directions. Also, considering the size of your fleet it's always possible to send one of your ships back with urgent messages.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 07-26-2011 at 07:42.

See how much he trusts you to run things TCV?

Yeah, what have I ever done to deserve such distrust from you, Ibn?

Alexandros Thraikikos is an Olympic victor!
    What a pity Myth stopped playing, some good rping potential there...

Yeah. Speaking of which, I think I'll send a PM to those who have disappeared since the first council to see what's what.

Some sort of Activity thread might be an idea, if people are going to be busy for a while they could post that, and perhaps orders for the next few turns. The op could be edited to show current/inactive/on hold players.

Well, we kind of have that already, albeit not in one unified thread: you can put orders in your SOT (that's the "O" in SOT ) and if you say you have to go inactive for a while, the Treasury report will grey you out and freeze your account. The library also keeps track on how many Sessions each avatar has taken part in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    See how much he trusts you to run things TCV?
    Yeah, what have I ever done to deserve such distrust from you, Ibn?
    It's not my fault! Some want-to-be-king-who-runs-away-when-he-see-the-first-sign-of-trouble never made any other posts to be remembered as a king.

About activity. Skullheadhq, GenosseGeneral, Visorslash and strategos roma are close to losing their avatars. Haven't seen them here for awhile.

I'll leave the decision whether to froze their private income or not to TCV.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 07-29-2011 at 11:25.

Then I'll freeze them. If they wish to continue playing and have their accounts unfrozen, they can answer my PM or announce it here.

What do you guys think about allowing active players to take over the estates of inactive ones? There are only so many spaces for estates, and 3 out of the Alexandreia slots are being taken up by GenosseGeneral, Alexandros Thraikikos (no player) and VisorSlash. I personally think that if someone's account gets frozen for inactivity, their estate should come up for grabs; it just doesn't make much sense letting people who aren't playing deny those who do the real moneymakers.

Edit: Skullhead answered my PM just two minutes after I posted this. He says he's on vacation and he'll be back in 1-2 weeks, so I'll freeze his account as a legitimate gonee until then, rather than as an inactive.

Edit 2: Visorslash is quitting. Ankhwennefer will probably be killed off as I think he's an RGB, which means that an estate spot in Alexandreia should open up.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-29-2011 at 13:52.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast