Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Council

Default Re: The Royal Council

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCordis View Post
    My dear Isigonos Kleopatrites, the army you are talking about is the Royal Army of the Heir, and has a number of edicts proposed about it. If yours was to pass it would seem the army would resemble some kind of rambling goat, going from one way to another.

Bothos now stares at Leontiskos Thraikikos and a small hint of a smile comes upon his face.

My good friend Leontiskos, I do hope you realise my proposals are for the good of the Kingdom. Unless you would see Alexandria fall to her knees benath the sandals of some upstart Kyrenians then I hold it to be a crucial decision the Council has to take. My second edict merely uses this force to be in permanent defence of the Aegyptian front. If you read the text carefully this command won't be my own, unless our good Basileus decides of course. The troops will only be 'mine' for the short amount of time it will take for me to recapture the city of Paraitonion.

I'm sure the Kleronomos Basileios wouldn't take kindly to calling his troops your own. I'm also sure my father wouldn't take kindly to being called an islander. I believe Side is in fact on a peninsula.
    My dear friend, what you say is indeed true, nevertheless I believe that the wise men of the council would be able to choose sensibly and refrain from giving the army contradictory or unrealistic orders

Isidoros then turns to the assembled Strategou and announces his support for Edict E1.10 and Law E1.1.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strategos roma View Post
    My dear friend, what you say is indeed true, nevertheless I believe that the wise men of the council would be able to choose sensibly and refrain from giving the army contradictory or unrealistic orders

Isidoros then turns to the assembled Strategou and announces his support for Edict E1.10 and Law E1.1.
    Stategoi, strategou is of the general...
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 06-14-2011 at 14:35.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

"These phalanxes I wanted to form out of the garrisons of the city I govern and the city where you currently reside Basileos, though you have wished them to go conquer elsewhere. Who will lead them then?"
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

I support law E1.1, given that the nomarchies will be permanent.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the scribes checkes his sandglass..

It's time.. clearing his throath.. The First Emergency Council is over! The time for proposing legislation has passed! Voting will begin shortly. There will be a two day period allocated for voting. Voting will end at 10pm GMT on Thursday, June 16th.

Another scribe stands forward..

Zoarchos Helios is the new Royal Treasurer!
    Meleagros Ptolemaios is the new Chancellor! He also assumes the positions of Polemarchos and Trierarchos!
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-15-2011 at 09:16.

Reading through the results of the voting and the appointments to positions a slight frown appears on Bothos' face. Looking up this quickly disappears into a familiar half smile.

First of all I would like to congratulate Meleagros Ptolemaios and Zoarches Helios to their appointments of Chancellor and Royal Treasurer, I'm sure they'll serve the Kingdom well.

Secondly, I have some concerns with the recent legislation passed. How does Edict E1.1b and Law E1.2 work together? I would ask the members of this council to forgive my naivity in the matter, for the ancient laws are not my speciality.

Finally, I would ask the Basileus and his son and heir the appointments to the armies of the realm. I assume the Kleronomos Basileios will be taking command of his Royal Army as stated and Leontiskos Thraikikos taking command of the new regular army. Also is it to be assumed the new Chancellor shall become the new Nomarch of the Upper Nile?

I would beg to ask if the Basileus has seen fit to appoint any more positions to certain people and if, as would be assumed, I am not one of these people, I would ask for the great honour of serving your son, Basileus, as second in command of the Royal Army, or whoever is deemed fit to command it. The privilege to be in the relief force for Tarsos would be honour upon itself.
    Last edited by LeoCordis; 06-15-2011 at 23:59.
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Leontiskos stands to address Bothos,

"Young Bothos, I don't believe the two bills are incompatible, Edict 1.1b states that anyone may build their own warfleet, though surely Croesus is reborn if any man here has the funds to do that. Law E1.2 commits us to building a fleet of Triereis, the cost to be shared amongst the council.
    I do apologise in regard my ignorance of your background. In my youth I spent many an hour learning the histories of Greek families, important and minor. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to study insignificant, how should I say, peninsulars?"

Ah, Leontiskos. I thank you for the explanation.
    I'm also sure your extensive studies of our illustrious family names has served you in good stead. I will need to learn them too, I'm sure, to survive in on the battlefield.
    PBeM's

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Philadelphos Ptolemaios takes a golden cup from one of his servants and lifts it in a gesture towards Meleagros.

"This drink is for you, my brother, to celebrate your election as Chancellor."

Philadelphos once more lifts it up before taking a large chug. He turns his head towards Zoarchos Helios.

"And congratulations to you too, comrade!" Another chug and the mug is empty. He puts the mug back at the servant's tray and gives a loud "Aaaah!" before turning to Bothos.

"Yes, I promised Meleagros that, should the Nomarchy of the upper Nile be established, I'd award it to him. Another reason to drink! Servant!" The servant snaps to attention. "Naah, forget about it. It'll have to wait 'till later." The servant relaxes again and backs off into the background. Philadelphos once again turns back to his brother. "Very well. I hereby grant the Nomarchy of the Upper Nile, as outlined in Law E1.1, to my brother, Meleagros Ptolemaios! May Zeus Ammon bless your governorship with both wisdom and prosperity!"

Philadelphos turns back to Bothos.

"Now, where were we? Oh yeah, the new army. Yes, it shall form under the command of Leontiskos Thraikikos, as my son will take care of his own army. I shouldn't need to make any more formal announcement for that, should I? As for other positions, I would happily award them to people, but what positions are there left for me to give? Anyone who wish to aid me in defending our Syrian holdings is of course very welcome. This includes honours such as being my second-in-command and governing Sidon*. As for serving in my son's army, that is completely up to my son himself. He is free to choose for himself in this matter."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    (OOC) *: This simply means being in Sidon, not actively governing it in any more meaningful way. Just so that no misunderstanding is made here. This would be meaningful because I expect to leave Sidon if need be to defend Syria, the heir is leaving for his army and the garrison is forming the new army. If no one moves to "govern" it, I will either have to leave a unit or so behind, or recruit new ones.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 06-16-2011 at 00:58.

Leontiskos faces the Basileus,

"I have your leave, my Grace, to take the soldiers specified in Edict E1.11 and march on Paraitonion?"

"You have. Tell their commander I said 'hi'!"

Leontiskos bows.

"My thanks, Basileus. I will muster the army and return your city to you as soon as possible. If I see your so called brother I'll say a lot more than "hi!" It will take quite a while to march the army to Paraitonion as Naukrates' few remaining ships are already earmarked for the Kleronomos Basileus' Royal Army "

Looks to Bothos.

"Well my new friend it seems now we must part, I do so hope my extensive studies keep me alive, it would be a shame if I were never to see you again. I can only hope my Macedonian heritage, years of training and my experience of leading armies will be of some small use to me. Do say hello to your father for me, he sounds like a great man. Alas I only had a former Chancellor for a father, and Antipater blood in my veins."

Finally looks at Alexandros.

"Promise me, dear brother, that you won't annoy our uncle so much that he kills you while I'm gone. You know I don't have the patience to look after Kleopatra, she's liable to forget to eat or something equally idiotic. Oh, and don't rile up those Jews if you go back to Hierosylma, don't forget I'm stealing your garrison, so you've nobody to hide behind now."

He strides out of the chamber.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 06-16-2011 at 02:44.

Cool Re: The Royal Council

Meleagros Ptolemaios rises to his feet as he is acclaimed Chancellor, Polemarchos and Trierarchos.

"I praise this Council for its wisdom in allowing me to administer our great Kingdom in these trying times. I shall not let any of you down, and will help Egypt raise its head in defiance to the Seleukid threat! Should any strategos require my aid as Chancellor or wish a favor from me, you have only but to ask and I will personally attend to your request.

I also thank our good Basileos, my brother, for trusting me with the affairs of Upper Egypt. I will protect these lands and hopefully see them grow as prosperous as our northern holdings. In time, I am certain Upper Egypt can recover its former glory from the time of the Thutmoses and the Ramesses.

I will go assess the situation and prepare my first report for the council at once!"

Meleagros hobbles out of the council chambers, his wooden cast clearly visible under his tunic, the light golden patterns carved in the wood glinting as they catch the light. The new Chancellor and Nomarch wears his trademark childish grin as he exits the room.
    Last edited by Ashurnasirpal II; 06-16-2011 at 04:12. Reason: tea and biscuits
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games
    Kings of the Nile - Chancellor Meleagros Ptolemaios, Nomarch of Upper Egypt
    Clash of Gods - Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Wrath of the Khan II - Kingdom of France

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Zoarchos Helios turns towards Philadelphos and bows..

Thank you, my Basileus!

.. then turns towards the Council...

It seems our new Nomarch have already violated his powers. Ptolemais-Theron is not part of his Nomarchy! So, his order to raise the taxes in that city and in the surrounding province should be ignored.

One more thing.. The sum that each Council member must pay in order for us to get a fleet of Trireis is 182 mnai per season during the next two seasons.

After a slight chuckle over Leontiskos' antics Bothos stands once more.

I thank you dear Basileus for the gracious announcements of intent and positions that you have announced.

After some deliberation, I wish for a different path than that of the Royal Army. On the advice of the Chancellor I ask permission to take a fleet north and land at Side to take command of the garrison and the city for the slight defence needed there. Out of respect I would ask permission from both the almighty Basileus and Chancellor.

This obviously means just to sit there and command the troops if there is a siege.
    PBeM's

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

"Hmph, brother I will come with you. If I can't lead the army I'll be there to make sure you don't throw yourself at an enemy spear!" Alexandros grins and grabs his brother's forearm. He leans in and whispers something in his ear, then slaps him on the back and retires from the room.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

A messenger arrives in court.

"My Lords, Leontiskos Thraikikos asks his Grace if the army you so graciously put under his command has a name. If not he would ask if he could name it the First Army of the Ptolemaic Kingdom?"

I believe regular armies must be named in a specific way.

All Regular Armies are marked with a number and a name of the region where they were first formed: 'IV Syrian Army'
    PBeM's

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCordis View Post
    I believe regular armies must be named in a specific way.
    The messenger turns to Bothos.

"Thank you my Lord, Leontiskos was unsure that applies as half the army is from Syrian, and half from Judaea. He had intended to call it the 1st Syrian Army, then decided to seek clarification."

OOC: I know this isn't that important, just want to know what to put in my SOT.

Cool Re: The Royal Council

OOC:
    Sorry for Ptolemais-Theron, got it mixed up with the map of Edict E1.10 in which it was included.
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

Another messenger arrives from Leontiskos.

"My Lords, Leontiskos Thraikikos notes that the Kleronomos Basileus has not made efforts to use the transport navy allocated him in the last session, he requests the vessels moved east to hasten his journey to Paraitonion in the event they aren't used."

Bothos turns to Leontiskos' messager

I still have not received words of my request to travel to Side. I think I should be allowed the allotted time to move to the fleet before it is sent off.

OOC: I haven't been told I can do it yet and there is still a couple of hours left before the turn ends. If I don't get an answer by 20 minutes before I'll just do it. :D
    PBeM's

OOC: The fleet has been allocated a specific purpose in the previous Council vote, you can't just take it. Though more than that, I think it's a bad idea taking it north, with the Seleukid Triereis in the region.
    I think it would be reasonable for any of the RGBs to be moved to a location they choose, obviously as a one off at the start of the game, but that would be up to I-K
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 06-16-2011 at 21:00.

"I think it's a good idea to go north, Bothos. You could probably do a lot of good there. As you're not bringing an army, though, you shouldn't need any special warships to get there. If you wish, I can give you a free ride to Salamis on one of my cargo ships; from there, you must be able to get hold on some merchant vessel and sail across to Side."

OOC: The rules allow for the "teleportation" of avatars, and I think you're allowed to exercise it for this purpose.

Thank you, Basileus, your cargo ships, though lacking in furnishings seem a perfect vessel for my journey.

I will take one immediately.

OOC: I forgot about the TP rules, thanks.
    PBeM's

Just to clarify, do I have permission to move the garrison of Side as I wish?
    PBeM's

OOC:
    Actually, Edict E1.2 does not prevent anyone from moving with the fleet. It simply states that during this term, the Heir and his army will go relieve or reclaim Tarsos. Unless the heir teleports to his army, there's enough time for a trip and back to Side from Alexandreia. On the other hand, it would be possible to pick up the heir with the fleet, but that would be bringing our fleet much too close to the Seleukids. I wouldn't recommend moving the heir's army by fleet until we have our new ship ready. But that's just my 2 cents. I don't know how this teleportation thing is supposed to work. Tarsos however, is probably lost, while Side can be defended if it gets a general in it.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games

"It's good you ask, Bothos, and I will give you an answer, which everyone should listen to. To move any garrison in any of my cities, you will need my permission. For now, I will give you permission to move the garrison of Side as you wish, so long as they stay within the limits of Side's province. You must be mindful of the civil order there as well; I don't want to hear of the Chancellor being forced to decrease the taxes just because you've developed a habit of taking the garrison out on picknicks."

I thank you Basileus for the permission. My first task if I can handle it will be to see if I can destroy the Brigands in the province, though this may prove difficult.
    PBeM's

"I don't have any intelligence reports from that area at hands here, but I have faith in your own judgement. You are clear to engage if you think you have a good chance of success; you should keep in mind though just how precarious your situation is before you make your decision to meet them in the field."
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 06-16-2011 at 23:27.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast