Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Council

Default Re: The Royal Council

OOC:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    From what I understand, any armies which isn't a regular or royal army is under the command of the Polemarchos, that would make Side's army my jurisdiction. Not that I'd contradict the Basileos. Also, what would happen if a unit is detached from a regular or royal army and left in a fort or city? Does that unit remain part of that army? Or is the army simply in need of replenishment while the unit is back under the command of the Polemarchos? I wrote this here because it pertains to what is being discussed IC, but since there's a lot of OOC, here's a link to the same questions in the OOC thread!
    Last edited by Ashurnasirpal II; 06-17-2011 at 03:54. Reason: tea and biscuits
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games
    Kings of the Nile - Chancellor Meleagros Ptolemaios, Nomarch of Upper Egypt
    Clash of Gods - Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Wrath of the Khan II - Kingdom of France

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A man enters the Council Chambers...

I am Philippos, a good friend of Zoarchos Helios, and will represent him in the Council as long as he is in Sidon.
    He wanted to let the Councillors know that a Kyrenaioi army is near our border. If the Councillors, who are currently in Alexandreia with their companions, want to gain some glory and help the Kingdom then now is the best chance. It's possible to surprise attack them and make them suffer some losses. You don't have enough power to defeat them but you can cause them some casualties and thus making the life of First Syrian Army a lot easier.

Ah, so Zoarchos would have us ride out against an army that outnumbers us 5 to 1 in the face of certain defeat, while an army assembled specifically for dealing with the Kyrenaioi is already on its way here..? A fine chance for glory indeed! I'm sure the other generals will be very eager to embark upon this great undertaking. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one as... uhm... my horse is sick. And I'm having my armour waxed... So yeah... Next time, eh?

Additionally, honourable members of the council, I wish to praise our great king for his efforts to liberate the city of Damaskos. For his efforts are noble indeed! Our spy, Ploutos Salaminios, has shown that upper Syria has been a hive of military activity for the past half year. And, a city so close to the Seleucid western capital of Antiocheia will surely be defended with great tenacity. I have no doubt, that the battle for Damaskos, which is surely soon to come, will be a great demonstration of our king's abilities as a leader.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

It will be a test, if nothing else. A hard battle, but with much promise if won. I do have my doubts as to the costs involved in such an assault, while some towns up North and East are scarcely defended.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

"Thank you Timon. On that note, I would ask if the Chancellor could order Ploutos Salaminios back west again, so that I may know if there is a Seleukid relief army coming."

Philadelphos turns to Alexandros.

"It's true that they have lightly defended regions further north, but if I went after them I'd leave our eastern border completely undefended. The Seleukids in Damaskos could swarm in and go on a rampage unchecked by anyone. This would be a disaster, and I simply won't allow it. Either through starvation or direct assault, the Seleukid threat from Damaskos must be dealt with first."

Starvation might be better, if they foolishly sally you could crush them. Hopefully no army of worth is nearby to relieve them. Though If a small force was to attempt to intervene and make the garrison sally, you could be offered the city on a platter. I wish you luck Basileos, and may Nike and Athena grant you swift and decisive victory!

Starvation?! What a ghastly proposal! We are here to liberate the poor people of Damaskos, not kill them!

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I have been riding to meet my army before I can set sail. If another is allowed to take the fleet I will be unable to complete the edict requiring me to go north.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Another messenger arrives from Leontiskos.

"My Lords, Leontiskos Thraikikos notes that the Kleronomos Basileus has not made efforts to use the transport navy allocated him in the last session, he requests the vessels moved east to hasten his journey to Paraitonion in the event they aren't used."
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Leontiskos' messenger replies to the heir.

"Your fleet will be back in place next season, no time will be lost to you. Though my master does think it folly for you to travel by sea with a seasoned Seleucid fleet in the eastern Mediterrannean. Perhaps you should wait until our triereis have control of the seas before hazarding such a journey?"

Blog Entries

Philippos turns towards Timon..

And I thought that a general like you have heard of a tactic called "hit and run"! You ride there, hit them and then run before they can hit you back.. No, running is not the best word.. it's more like a "tactical withdrawal"?

A messenger rushes into the Council chambers.

"My Lords, the Thraikikos brothers send word that they have returned Paratoinon back into our hands. They await any further intructions the Basleus may have."

Blog Entries

Philippos smiles..

These are great news! We have taken back province that we lost and pushed Seleukids out of Damaskos. If we can take Tarsos back and keep them away from Side then Chancellor can say that his term was successful!

Cool Re: The Royal Council

An elderly man enters the council chambers and addresses those present:

"Greetings noble dignitaries of Aegyptos, I am Appolinos, a scholar and counselor to our wise Chancellor, Meleagros, Nomarch of the Upper Nile. He sends his warmest congratulations to both our great Basileos and the mighty Thraikikos brothers for their victories in Syria and Cyrenaica. However, he also wishes to urge Euergetes, heir to our great Kingdom, to hasten his troops to Tarsos! Everyday his majesty's son does not sail towards the enemy burdens the royal treasury and our hardworking people with the heavy cost of an army camping in the middle of our lands. If this situation is not remedied at once, the Chancellor feels there will be no other choice than to call an emergency session to assign a better use to these men!"

With this, Appolinos bows and awaits the response of the nobles.
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games
    Kings of the Nile - Chancellor Meleagros Ptolemaios, Nomarch of Upper Egypt
    Clash of Gods - Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Wrath of the Khan II - Kingdom of France

Blog Entries

I've heard that mysterious illness have forced the son of our beloved Basileus and the heir to the throne into sick bed. I hope that these are just rumors.

A messenger enters and gives a piece of papyrus to Philippos..

It seems my master, Zoarchos Helios, decided to scout the area around Antiocheia. This is his report..

Zoarchos' current location in an estate near Antiocheia..

Antiocheia.

He writes..
    My Basileus and Councillors,

Antiocheia is an easy target at the moment. Only one unit is guarding the city. I propose we sack it! That way we might get our economy back on it's feet. It will also destroy the main Seleukid recruitment center in the area.

Zoarchos Helios

Alexandros Thraikios enters the room, dirty and dust covered, and with a fresh scar on his left forearm. "I volunteer to lead whatever forces be deemed reasonable to capture Antiocheia! Another port city will do wonders for the economy of our nation!"

A messenger arrives in court with a message for Eurgetes before he departs.

"My Lord Thraikikos states that he believes the Seleukid naval threat in the Eastern Mediterranean has been defeated. He therefore hands control of the naval units constructed to defeat them to Eurgetes, travel by sea is hazardous and pirates can seemingly spawn from nowhere. When he is safely on Anatolian soil they should be disbanded.

Oh, he also said he's off to conquer Siwa..."

Blog Entries

Philippos speaks..

I hope Leontiskos have not forget the ancient laws:
    Players may not move avatars or armies into the territory of a neutral or allied faction without the permission of the Basileus.
    Nor may they attack the settlements or armies of neutral or allied factions without a declaration of war from the Basileus, a Chancellor or a Law.
    His attack against Siwa, using our 1st Syrian army, would be against those laws.

(OOC: All Eleutheroi settlements are considered neutral by default. The only exception currently is Kyrene who are at war with us.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Philippos speaks..

I hope Leontiskos have not forget the ancient laws:

His attack against Siwa, using our 1st Syrian army, would be against those laws.

(OOC: All Eleutheroi settlements are considered neutral by default. The only exception currently is Kyrene who are at war with us.)
    The messenger looks at Philippos,

"I don't remember mentioning the 1st Syrian Army..."

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Philadelphos Ptolemaios coughs.

"That doesn't matter. You may not enter the territory of a neutral faction without my permission anyway."

Blog Entries

This reminds me.. where is Kydrogenes Epiphanes? Last time I heard of him he was on his way to Hierosolyma. As far as I know he never reached his destination. Did he crossed the border and entered Sinai?

OOD: Rules are slightly contradictary regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Strategoi can attack Eleutheroi settlements with their Private units(and only with them) even if war has not been declared against that settlement.

A messenger arrives in the Council chambers

I am an envoy representing the Kleronomos Basileios and speak for him.

He would like to enquire if his father wishes to assault Antiocheia and if so which direction his Royal Army would take afterwards. He suggests turning East and striking blows into the heartland of the Seleukids.

This would free up a way for the Heir's Royal Army to reclaim the treacherous Side and carry on through Anatolia, capturing the rich cities that lie there.
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

I advise care when delving in the lands past Babylon. The Seleukids hold vast areas spreading far to the East, and we must not overextend ourselves.

A weary, ragged-looking messenger storms into the council chambers. Covered with sand, dust and sweat, he looks as though he has been traveling for days without rest. As he takes a short moment to catch his breath, the looks on the faces of the council members turn from bewilderment into annoyance, but before anyone can comment on the messenger's lack of etiquette, he brings out his papyrus scroll and proclaims:

"My lords, a message from my master, Timon Arrhidaeos."

While unrolling the scroll he wipes the sweat from his forehead and begins to read:

"Honourable members of the council and representatives, a terrible disaster is upon us! Rebellious armies are mustering in Heptanomis! Not a year has past since our crown prince has taken his army to Anatolia and already these revolting peasants are revolting. These thiefs, brigands, rebels and traitors are terrorising the very heart of our empire, robbing innocent traders, raiding estates and plundering our communities. What's worse is that our cities along the Nile have been left completely defenseless! We must act to stop these criminals immediately, either by raising a new army or by recalling the crown prince."

A jar of cool water is passed to the exhausted messenger. He takes a large gulp and continues:

"Additionally, a number of Jews have taken up arms against us in the state of Ioudaia. They pose no real threat to our security in the region, but trade proceeds are down by 50%! As I am currently residing in Hierosolyma, I will make it my task to hunt down each and every rebel in this state. Unless, of course, his majesty, whose army is camped in nearby Syria, wishes to intervene instead. If not, then I will raise an army with my own private funds to deal with the rebels. I ask only that I be allowed to make use of the division of pantodapoi currently stationed in Hierosolyma to complement my own forces. I await your reply."

Blog Entries

Philippos nods..

I am certain that my master agrees with Timon Arrhidaeos. Zoarchos Helios' estate is one of those that the rebels could attack. Meleagros Ptolemaios and Satyrion Mimyraios also have estates close to the rebel army. Must say that their leader have picked an interesting name - Aigyptios! He mocks our Basileus with that name!

Another messenger arrives at court.

"My Lords, Leontiskos Thraikikos sends word that another band of cut throats had emerged near Paratoinon. It was but a small, ill equipped bunch of miscreants, but Leontiskos felt it would be folly to march east with another enemy at his back. The 1st Syrian was not used, his private forces defeated them, and are now at Paratoinon waiting for my Lordship to catch up and move on toward this ironically named foe. The delay will only cost us one season."
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 07-01-2011 at 16:39.

Another messenger from Leontiskos Thraikikos arrives,

"My Lords, Leontiskos notes that Eurgetes has arrived safely in Anatolia. The triereis that the Council paid for together should now be sent to the nearest friendly port and scrapped. Their purpose has been fulfilled and Eurgetes is safely landed, we cannot afford to keep them any longer."

Blog Entries

Zoarchos Helios enters the Council chambers..

Firstly, I congratulate Leontiskos for his recent success in west! I really hope that he moves quickly enough to destroy that Rebel named Aigyptios! I lost half of my income this season because that Aigyptios robbed several of my grain carts to Memphis!

Secondly, I support the idea of disbanding the fleet!

Also, I hope that we can start our next Council meeting in Spring with good news from Tarsos. I hope our young Heir captures the city this Winter.

But now I'm going to the Agora.. You can find me there if you need me..

He signals Philippos to follow him and leaves the room..

Alexandros Thraikikos enters the hall, this time bathed and not grabbed in armour, but in a fine tunic. "I have defeated the army that spoiled the trade in Memphis and threatened to take our lands. I will now rest and recuperate the losses of my private units. Those of you who I have aided directly by eliminating the threat to your estate's trade, I will expect to aid me in the cost of retraining my private men."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast