Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Royal Council

Default Re: The Royal Council

My Basileus, thank you for your kind words. The army need not trespass on neutral territory; we shall march north from our bases in Cillicia and liberate our brave and loyal friends from tyranny!

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

You missed my point, which is that this edict would warrant an attack on anyone to our north. It's not about trespassing on neutral territory, but the surrender of control over diplomacy by this council and me to any man with a stick and shield; it's a step towards anarchy, and would put our kingdom on a destructive course towards its own doom. I will not allow that to happen.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Thraikikos whispers to Apollonios beside him.

"I trekked all the way through the desert for this..."

Philadelphos yawns.

As interesting and... productive... as this session has been, it is soon drawing to a close. I think I shall make some last minute proposals then. The first one is merely a more properly stated edict to get Isigonos's through to the ballot box.

Edict 3.2: An army shall be sent to liberate the Galatians and install them as our friends and allies.

The second proposal is more serious. The problem is my brother. The way he has been running his nomarchy is under all kinds of criticism. In fact, he hasn't been running it at all! During his reign, the land that he has control has fallen into stagnation, and while I was Chancellor I was forced to see so many new opportunities get squandered because my brother could not be bothered to take care of his responsibilities. There is much opportunity of economic expansion in his Nomarchy, and if we are to keep up with our enemies we cannot afford to let it go to waste. Therefore I propose this my own edict:

Law 3.1: The Nomarchy of the Upper Nile, as established by Law E1.1, shall be transferred from Meleagros Ptolemaios to anyone of the Basileus's choice. If no suitable person for it can be found, it shall be dissolved.

I also have a rule change to make. In the current draft of our constitution, power #3 of the Basileus power #2 of the Kleronomos Basileios seem to be worded in such a way as to say that they must have 20 units in them. This was not the intention of RC 2.3, and would unnecessarily strain our economy. This is the reason why I propose the following Rule Change.

Rule Change 3.1: The changes made by RC 2.3 shall be undone. Instead, an additional power shall be added for both the Kleronomos Basileios and the Basileus, saying that they can command an unlimited number of men.

That will make the clarification that RC 2.3 was intended to do, without creating the unnecessary economic burdens as we are under now.

There was a minor mistake in RC 2.1 as well, which I will propose to rectify here.

Rule Change 3.2: In rule 1.4, just after the part that was added by RC 2.1, it should be further clarified that all Eleutheroi settlements are considered independent from each other, and that every individual eleutheroi settlement should be treated as any other faction.

Lastly, since no one else has shown any interest in being Chancellor, I shall take it upon myself to be Chancellor once again.

With these propositions made, I now declare this session to be finished. The voting period shall commence shortly.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 08-09-2011 at 20:51.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Leontiskos' eyes flick open at the final proposal.

"I take it that will have no effect on our, "little agreement" on the provinces west of Egypt, uncle?"

"Rest assured, dear nephew, for I have not forgotten it, and my word is still gold. The rule change you refer to makes no real change to what it was before; it's only a clarification that needed to be made. I still enjoy the right to declare war and sanction any attack on anyone I like, and nothing that has been proposed would have any kind of impact on our 'little agreement', as you put it."

Honourable members of the council,

These are dire times for the empire! A huge Seleucid army has lain siege to the city of Antiocheia. Our garrison force consists mainly of light troops and will surely be annihilated when the enemy assaults the walls. Is there anyone who can come to their aid in time?

My army is required to keep the peace in Palmyra. These rebellious dogs would surely revolt if I left. I therefore request two things of the council. Firstly, that it raise a garrison for Palmyra in Sidon and Damascos. If two Pantodapoi units are levied in both cities, the unit from Sidon can go to Damascos and the three units in Damascos can go to Palmyra. Secondly, I withdraw my request for walls around Palmyra. The Seleucids seem to have lost interest in the city and have ignored it completely so far. It would be far better if a temple was erected, to help subdue the population's discontent, so my army can be on the move again. By attacking to the east, I hope to tie down as many Seleucid soldiers as possible to help relieve pressure on our cities.

Basileus Philadelphos Ptolemaios:

"I have raised men in those cities as well as Palmyra itself to see to it so you can go and deal with this Sarpedon Syriakos. Should you feel the need for it, I will authorize the hiring of one band of mercenaries to accomplish this task on the Kingdom's payroll. In fact, I authorize you to leave Palmyra to its fate and take the garrison soldiers with you if you need it; Antiocheia is by far more important than a small, desert town."

Philadelphos' face now turns grave and his voice turns low, filled with sadness and disappointment.

"There is another problem that we're facing, and sadly that problem has a name. Lysimachos Ptolemaios. My son. I sent him a warning as soon as he broke the holy law of our kingdom, stepped onto foreign land without my permission, and attacked a neutral faction, the Kretans, without ever even seeking permission to do so from either me or this Council. I told him to immediately break off the siege and to leave the island, or he would have to be punished. He summarily ignored this warning, and instead assaulted and occupied Kydonia.

As he is my son, some may fear partiality from me if I made the sentence myself, and so I invite you, members of the Council, to voice your opinion. How shall we deal with my son's crimes? I shall of course send for him to explain himself, as you may want to hear him out before you judge him."

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    "I have raised men in those cities as well as Palmyra itself to see to it so you can go and deal with this Sarpedon Syriakos. Should you feel the need for it, I will authorize the hiring of one band of mercenaries to accomplish this task on the Kingdom's payroll. In fact, I authorize you to leave Palmyra to its fate and take the garrison soldiers with you if you need it; Antiocheia is by far more important than a small, desert town."
    I fear my army is no match for that of Sarpedon. I have no heavy cavalry and my phalanx is down to three quarters of its strength. It will be difficult to deal with his cavalry. The garrison troops are of little help, though some heavy, hard-hitting mercenaries could turn in balance in our favour. Additionally, our spies report that he has already finished enough siege equipment to attempt an assault this winter.

But, if this is your wish, your highness, I will free Antiocheia or die trying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    Philadelphos' face now turns grave and his voice turns low, filled with sadness and disappointment.

"There is another problem that we're facing, and sadly that problem has a name. Lysimachos Ptolemaios. My son. I sent him a warning as soon as he broke the holy law of our kingdom, stepped onto foreign land without my permission, and attacked a neutral faction, the Kretans, without ever even seeking permission to do so from either me or this Council. I told him to immediately break off the siege and to leave the island, or he would have to be punished. He summarily ignored this warning, and instead assaulted and occupied Kydonia.

As he is my son, some may fear partiality from me if I made the sentence myself, and so I invite you, members of the Council, to voice your opinion. How shall we deal with my son's crimes? I shall of course send for him to explain himself, as you may want to hear him out before you judge him."
    Your son has proclaimed Kydonia and Kreta in your name, your highness, and he has used only his personal ships and troops. Yet, interfering in the affairs of the Greeks may bring unforeseen problems for our empire in the long term and holding Kreta may cost the empire more than it is worth. And of course, the law is sacred. This is indeed a troublesome affair...
    Last edited by Folgore; 08-16-2011 at 20:56.

"It's not just that he first broke the sacred law, but that he got a warning for it which he completely ignored. To let him off now would effectively be saying that following the law is entirely optional, in which case it ceases to be law and we would now be living in an anarchy. That is what I want to avoid; I do not take any pleasure in seeing my son being punished.

As for the Antiocheia situation..." Philadelphos sighs heavily. "It is regrettable. You and your soldiers have done a lot, and a heavy fight is upon you. Maybe it is not winnable, but at least it should be easier take on them now, outside of the walls, when you have the aid of our men in Antiocheia, than it will be to take them on when they have the walls to protect them. Should you fail, though, I would rather you escaped with your life so you could come back and fight again. Then we would have the time to gather a stronger army to really see it through."
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 08-16-2011 at 21:33.

Your highness, may I have permission to use our spy in Edessa to assess the strength of Sarpedon's army?

"You may."

A message arrives from Lysimachos Ptolemaios, regarding past events:

It has been two years since I have seen any of you in person. I have spent much time abroad, and have spent much time learning the customs of the western Hellenes. As you know, embarked on what was originally a diplomatic mission to our allies in Greece. What transpired here on Krete was manifestly not a diplomatic mission, but it was based on diplomatic discourse. While visiting our allies in Sparta, they told me of their long conflict with the numerous pirates and villains on Krete, who had been harrying their, and other regional powers's merchant flotillae. In addition, their king, Areus Agiados, had been unpleasantly holding out in Krete for almost a decade- A sea storm scattered his fleet, and none had heard from him for a long time. On my journey back, My ships were attacked by the Kretans, and many of our sailors and marines were injured. So, I landed on Krete to try to find our allies and help them defeat the Kretans. Originally, I intended for our allies to take possession of the town of Kydonia and the surrounding country, and that is why I have sent this message to you. I realized that in my impetuosity I ignored orders. But I did not do so out of selfish vainglory. I wanted to prove to our allies that we are not entirely lost in our war with the Seleukids, or other eastern ventures. That we still wished to see them prosperous and safe, and that we have not abandoned them due to our other ambitions.

My occupation of Kydonia is assuredly provisional. I request that we send a Diplomat to Greece to arrange for Kydonia to be transferred to the Hellenic League. Once this has been done, I will sail back to my father's lands.
    Last edited by Paul D; 08-18-2011 at 16:42.

Your Royal Highness, honourable council members and family.

I have retaken the city of Antiocheia from the Seleucid invader. Our domination of the eastern Mediterranean is once again assured. They have seriously damaged some of our buildings in this city when they assaulted it however and they require immediate repairs. Additionally, I would recommend the Galatians I hired to be sent away again. They have done their duty and they have done it well, but they are too expensive to keep around for garrison duty.

Honourable members of the council,

I have defeated the Seleucid invasion aimed at Antiocheia, by re-taking the city and crushing any remaining Seleucid units in and around Syria.

Now, my own personal army is once again ready to take to the offensive. However, the situation in the east is precarious. My army is all that stands between the unwashed Asian hordes and our prosperous cities along the Mediterranean. Our enemy is both to my north, in Mazaka and to the east, in Edessa. I do not view Palmyra as being a threat since the town has sworn its allegiance to the Arabians. Indeed it may prove a useful buffer between ourselves and the Seleucids. Edessa has been used frequently as a staging point for attacks into our empire. I was attacked by an army from Edessa when I laid siege to Palmyra and the army that took Antiocheia came from Edessa as well. Edessa is also closer to Antiocheia. Should the Seleucids counter by striking at Antiocheia from the north, I can return to the city in time to prevent it from being taken.

So, if it please the council, I shall assemble my armies and march off towards Edessa tomorrow.

I have taken Edessa. I request the council raise a garrison for this city, so that I may take my army south to Palmyra to reclaim it.

I also request a provisional military government is established in Edessa and that an Agora is built in Salamis. The increased goods that it will offer us will greatly increase our profits from our merchant fleets. Additionally, it may be wise to recruit an assassin to rid us of those Seleucid "diplomats" who bribe our troops and our settlements.

Blog Entries

deleted
    Last edited by Hamata; 09-07-2011 at 01:36. Reason: Because blasaleus said so

Basileus Philadelphos steps into the Council, and before he sits down he - seeming in haste - announces that:

The Fourth Council Session has begun! It will last for three days, until 12:00 GMT on Monday 19th of September.

"I would like to notify all that I will not be running for Chancellor this term, and will leave that honour to someone else."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456