Thread: For anybody who still plays E:TW, a hint to make the game more fun

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default For anybody who still plays E:TW, a hint to make the game more fun

While playing my mid-late stage Sweden campaign, I noticed that the list of minor nations had shrunken ALOT from what it was at the beginning. Some nations were new, such as Georgia, Punjab, Afghanistan, and the Mamelukes, but there were barely more minor nations than there were major ones.

So I decided to take action, and take up a few of them to put under my protection. For example, Dagestan and Georgia rebelled near-simultaneously from Russia. For a while I was simply sending monetary and technological aid to the two nations, since I certainly had no great love for Russia. However when I received the message that Dagestan had been destroyed, well I had to step in. So I deployed a defensive army to Georgia, and successfully fought off a revolution, 2 invasions, and have been keeping both the Russians and Ottomans at bay since. Without me, Georgia would most assuredly be long gone.

A similar situation is developing with the Mamelukes, as the Maratha began invading them only a few turns after they were formed. However this one has developed into a full-scale war, and the Maratha continue to send armies to Baghdad, with my defensive line the only thing keeping the Mamelukes in the game.

I would encourage people who still play Empire (whether because they prefer it to Shogun, like the time period better, or, in my case, don't have the computer to run Shogun 2) to use this strategy to increase not only fun, but randomness and immersion into the game. So go on, adopt a minor country and try to keep it alive through the whole game. It makes for great fun and more spontaneity in the game.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Members thankful for this post (2):

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For anybody who still plays E:TW, a hint to make the game more fun

This technique is necessary to keep Martha at bay. It's just a shame you can't transfer troops to certain countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    This technique is necessary to keep Martha at bay. It's just a shame you can't transfer troops to certain countries.
    Yeah I really wish that there were a more direct option for helping allies. I mean, presently I can send lots of money and tech to them, but if they don't wanna invest in a big military that they could undoubtedly afford, then there's not much I can do short of sending in troops. I'd like to be able to just give them units, and it would say that I was giving them weapons and supplies, with them providing the men. Seems easy enough to me :/
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Blog Entries

I really like your concept of game play. I do play ETW, because I like the Big Map; and presently playing as the USA. But I think I should start playing from the 1700s and adopt a minor country and keep it safe :)
    I'm currntly playing as Milanese on H/H

Hmm interesting?
    when you mean adopting do you mean becoming the protectorate of? Or Allies?
    I noticed the lack of small nations aswell and i think they add a little spice to the campaign. I'll try this next campaign i start. Anything to keep the Maratha's from expanding is good.

I like it, playing with the USA and protecting little countries for democracy and freedom (or maybe greed?), sounds alot like the neoliberalism line of thought. I might try it the next time I start a campaign with the USA.
    Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.
    - Julius Caesar

I don't like Shogun's dividing of the land. I give aid to smaller factions like the emergent Punjab. It disrupts whoever is the rising power in India. Same with Persia who can perhaps contain whoever comes on top in India. Only some like Persia can ever do anything beyonding