Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Re: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

Hmmm, no holidays here in the U.S. that I'm aware of. Not sure what's up with just about all of the hotseats freezing.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I already said it was me. :P

You're holding up all of the hotseats, even the ones where it isn't your turn? I knew it!
    Last edited by Zim; 07-23-2011 at 12:28.

I am a master of sabotage.
    Last edited by Visor; 07-23-2011 at 12:30.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Well, UOTI is slowed down because Ignoramus is MIA.
    FN is running at its average pace.
    GA is running at its average pace.
    CoG is going trough a change of player.
    WOTK2 was slowed down because of that same player who went MIA.

BTW Phonics what will happen to France in WOTK2? Think I can switch and let the K-Shah be AI (that might make it too easy for you however)
    Last edited by Myth; 07-23-2011 at 15:29.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I usually let people miss a few turns before I make the difficult decision to replace them. France is a long way from the Mongols so a few subbed turns won't make too much of a difference. Ash might just be on vacation and has forgotten to tell us.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Well I always notify someone when I go away, and I let them know how long I will be away. Since he had a relatively low number of posts I decided to just replace him all together. I've been in other communities where fresh eager-beaver posters join games and are very prolific for a month, then disappear forever. Plus I like having Thanatos Eclipse in my team :D

Knight of the Crusade Member Thanatos Eclipse's Avatar

well, if he comes back in the next couple of turns, I'd be happy to let him take back over if he wants :)
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

hey I wasn't criticising you, just thought I should explain.

Thanatos, if Ash doesn't come back would you like to join us in WotK2? Seeing as you have SS6.4 installed now...

No criticism taken, but if he did just forget or something, I thought I'd let it be known I wouldn't mind handing it back over to him.

Well, with my prospects in FN looking gloomy and DA effectively done unless triforce resurfaces (tear), sure
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Woohoo!

By the way I just besieged your capital Minsk in FN

And Myth, if the K-Shah gets knocked out there will no doubt be an opportunity to rejoin later as another faction so don't worry.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 07-24-2011 at 00:38.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    By the way I just besieged your capital Minsk in FN
    Minsk is my capital? I always thought it was my other city. Oh well, I already raised taxes and abandoned Minsk to your army. Apparently you can see forces hidden beside watch towers :p
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos Eclipse View Post
    Oh well, I already raised taxes and abandoned Minsk to your army.
    Very kind of you

That or the K-Shah single-handedly defeats the mongols...

BTW I see a recent tendency of games here being fought battles, which IMO is a good thing. Autocalc is not fair - those with heavy infantry and lots of defense always stomp and don't fear anything if they make a full stack. Fought battles are imbalanced sure, yes a GB unit can win a battle all by itself, but still at least the option is equally available to everyone.

Just now I saw that Scotland in CoG had 3 or so generals in it's city. I immediately autoresolved and was happy with losing 400 men out of some militia and peasants (puiled back my miles). The AI in SS has given me tremendeous grief with it's uber combat bonuses on these GB units. So fought battles are great if you are desperate or if you get the jump on an equal enemy force, but the option to autoresolve some annoying siege assaults or things that would actually make your life harder to fight is still there.

But fought battles are awesome for factions that have archers or jav-cav. If another Britannia game is made, it should definitely be a fought battle system - England has Armoured Swordsmen who are cheap on upkeep and have as much defense as a Dism. Feudal Knight, as well as Armoured Sergeants. With these units it can walk over enemy armeis that normally would splatter them in a fought battle. Wales and Ireland would be very intimidating in fought battles to be sure.
    Last edited by Myth; 07-24-2011 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    That's the spirit!

I'm not sure which kind of game I prefer. When the battles are fought there is always the possibility of a small faction successfully defeating a larger one, if the strategy is right. However sometimes you get onto drama over battle map 'exploits' which can get ugly and ruin games. Also once everyone understands that a couple of horse can take out a full stack games can get really cagey and slow-paced with lots of forts whIch is not to everyone's taste.

On the other hand while AR is simpler (and quicker to play) it is also biased towards certain factions and it's much more difficult to turn the tables on a larger faction which can outproduce you, making games more predictable.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 07-24-2011 at 13:44.

anyone tried that you are the senate thing on twc?
    <enter something witty here>

We seem to go through phases.We went from all autoresolve to mostly fought battles back around the first BC hotseat here, then back to more autoresolve because people thought it was more fair. I wouldn't mind seeing more hotseats with fought battles, although I think it works better with mods that heavily rework the battles.

BTW I see a recent tendency of games here being fought battles, which IMO is a good thing. Autocalc is not fair - those with heavy infantry and lots of defense always stomp and don't fear anything if they make a full stack. Fought battles are imbalanced sure, yes a GB unit can win a battle all by itself, but still at least the option is equally available to everyone.

6 hotseats and 2 RPGs! I can't remember the Throne Room being more active..keep it up everyone!

I was thinking maybe we should get a thread dedicated to people telling when they go MIA, for how long, and whom they appoint as a sub for which game. Anyway I'll do this here for now. I'm going away to the beach until next Sunday, or maybe even a bit longer. Ideally my turns in UotI and FN won't come up until then as they are the most important (as in, most intense situation and thus a mistake from the sub can ruin things) but As subs i want:

UotI:
    Zim or Phonics if he is unavailable. But Zim knows my plans and standing forces, and knows where the enemy is.
    FN: slysnake, I'll leave him detailed instructions.
    CoG: I trust any one of my three teammates there to make the right decisions. Phonics should step in as Admin for this game I reckon as he has the admin pw.
    WotK2: Anyone really, but I'd prefer if it was someone who is closer to the action and can benefit from seeing the deployment of enemy troops and the way I've blocked things as the K-Shah.
    GA: Anyone from Thanatos Eclipse, Nightbringer or Zim. Things are fairly self explanatory there.

I'd also ask the admins of each game to reset my password if my turn comes up. I'll fix it when I come back.

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

An absence thread similar to twc's would be nice if people remember to use it. But sometimes even reliable people suddenly go MIA. We've had quite a few games die in the past month over there and a few of us were left scratching our heads over the missing.

edit: And if I go missing you should expect the worst. When I leave I'll make sure people know it. You'll get a lot of "#$%&*"
    Last edited by LooseCannon1; 07-30-2011 at 01:30.

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon1 View Post
    An absence thread similar to twc's would be nice if people remember to use it. But sometimes even reliable people suddenly go MIA. We've had quite a few games die in the past month over there and a few of us were left scratching our heads over the missing.
    I know, I was sad that Dual Alliance had to died when Tri went missing. Hope he's ok though, he didn't seem to me to be the type to just disappear.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos Eclipse View Post
    I know, I was sad that Dual Alliance had to died when Tri went missing. Hope he's ok though, he didn't seem to me to be the type to just disappear.
    I know, I too am worried something may have happened.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

WotK2: Anyone really, but I'd prefer if it was someone who is closer to the action and can benefit from seeing the deployment of enemy troops and the way I've blocked things as the K-Shah.
    I have subbed you for WotK2

Thanks Ezil

It's always weird that people disappear from here after (sometimes) years of regular activity and without saying goodbye. You guys probably don't remember Ramses II CP but he was a guy I really worried about after he vanished.

Fact is we have no way of knowing! Maybe there's a serial killer at work hunting down orgahs one by one...

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Or maybe those who disappear are in fact SPIES from some rival site, possibly the .net!!!
    hmm, so thats how they won WWC, crafty devils!

Seriously though, I completely agree phonics. I am truly wondering where triforce has gone. He is the person who started me on hotseats in the first place back when I myself was a netter and it is very strange for him to disappear so suddenly. From the net as well as here.

It would be all too easy (and completely understandable) for a loved one to being completely overlook someplace like this when informing friends etc in the event of a tragedy.

On a lighter note. :)
    Speaking of WWC, how exactly did you (or whoever did it) come up with the name "The Orgsome Foursome?"
    My girlfriend and I both agree it is a hilarious name and I would like to give its creator a cookie.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 08-01-2011 at 07:17.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I came up with that. There was an Australian rowing team at one of the Olympics called the "Oarsome Foursome" so I punned on the pun if you like.

Unfortunately having a great name doesn't always equal win. Just ask Grasshopper Zurich

I like cookies.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-01-2011 at 07:41.

Ok, I'll need your name and address. Oh, and do you have a favorite kind?

I like Anzac biscuits but I'm not giving my name and address to a weirdo interweb stalker like you...

Anzac biscuits are delicious.

mm, those are delicious. In fact, I have some right here in my cargo van with tape over all the windows. Just come on in...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast