Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

I am going away for one week since I took days off from work. I want to be subbed as follows:

CoG! - anyone from my team. NB knows the password.
    MoT - slysnake
    EI - Nightbringer
    WotK2 - anyone from my allies
    EotA - anyone from my allies though Mithridate knows where I'm heded and knows the terrain and enemy locations so I'd prefer it were him
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

@Myth, could you resend me the pw, I don't think I have that pm anymore. :)
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are there any current TW RPGs going on? I know The King's RTW one is in a kind of limbo, but over the past 2-3 weeks I've been binging through the Throne Room archives and wouldn't mind playing in another one.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems we're in a bit of an interregnum. I'd like to host a game myself, but I'm waiting to see the result of Myth's Arena of Kings poll to see where interest lies.

In the meantime though, I was thinking about doing multiplayer campaign with Shogun 2. Interested?

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

There is also the TWS2 RPG we designed and never started. I'd join it if someone did...
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

I don't even have S2TW, so I'm a no go on that one.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I have it but I don't really like the new sluggish engine. I would much rather play the RTW RPG anyway. However TS2 I hear has planned development with skill trees for your general, rather than random trait aquisition. If that's the case, maybe it'd be a better platform for a RPG.

I've been talking to people about what games to start up. I think there is a need for a new game or two now. SilverShield got me an idea - starting a Broken Crescent 2.3 game, since the old versions are much better than the new one.

Phonicsmonkey has fond memories f that mod, as does Zim and I think Thanatos as well. What do you guys think? Do we have a link to even get this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    phonicsmonkey has fond memories f that mod, as does Zim and I think Thanatos as well. What do you guys think? Do we have a link to even get this mod?
    Even better, I still have 1.05 and its patches saved on my HDD. I could host them on torrent for you guys if anyone is interested.

I have to say though, it's not a particularly balanced mod. With player skillz at the high level they are these days it may be a walkover for one or two factions....I won't say which ones!

Might be a better setting for an RPG? I'd love that...always wanted an RPG set in an Islamic faction

However i really think for the health of the TR we need to have some games in the new TW titles, to bring in new faces
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 07-25-2012 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Even better, I still have 1.05 and its patches saved on my HDD. I could host them on torrent for you guys if anyone is interested.

I have to say though, it's not a particularly balanced mod. With player skillz at the high level they are these days it may be a walkover for one or two factions....I won't say which ones!

Might be a better setting for an RPG? I'd love that...always wanted an RPG set in an Islamic faction

However i really think for the health of the TR we need to have some games in the new TW titles, to bring in new faces
    Isn't it impossible to play the new games in hotseat though?

I do agree, but I'm just not sure it will be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Isn't it impossible to play the new games in hotseat though?

I do agree, but I'm just not sure it will be possible.
    It is, hence RPGs and succession games.

Also encourage AARs of multiplayer campaigns like Mod vs Mod

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

About using newer games for hotseats. I gauge interest in a game by how many people are in each sub-forum as listed by the "views" on the main forum list. Right now 13 people are viewing all the Shogun 2 forums which is more than the 9 viewing all Empire/Napoleon sub-forums. But Rome has 21 and Medieval 2 has 23. It's the same (in general) over at the net with M2 hosted mods being seen by more people than all S2, Empire , and Napoleon forums combinded. The newer games have less interest in general plus less modable and limited (if any) multiplayer. Oh, and the single forum/sub-forum here with the most viewers? You're reading it. Yes, the Throne Room is number 1. Now if we can get those 26 people to play.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of getting a new kingdoms hotseat campaign going as all the current ones have ended. I thought it might be interesting to try one with fixed alliances, to try to accommodate for some of the balance issues people have been noticing in kingdoms.

I'm posting this to gauge interest on which campaign people are most interested in.

So what do you all think? Britain? Teutonic? Crusades?

@Domen,

I see you have been engaged int he discussion about the balance in these games. Would you like to try playing one over here in the Throne Room?
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 08-01-2012 at 08:51.

I have been super busy these past few days. I worked overtime - utnil 2 AM on Monday night and until 11 pm last night. From now on though I'll have a lot more time. I vote for the Crusades campaign as it's the one I am least familiar with, having played 4 games in Teutonic/Britannia (and won 3 of them). Furthermore the Crusades campaign has more factions and special abilites for the starting Fls which make it very interesting.

Just make sure that spies can't open anything to prevent the Spy Wars we h ave in MoT, and that one needs two units of Catapults to open a fort (since they cost 2500 a piece and are made of stone) and four catapults to open a stone city.

This makes early aggression possible (instead of waiting for trebs) but it's not that easy to get 4 catapults. One treb should still open anything, and ballistae should open nothing naturally.

I like team battles, though perhaps the Crusades campaign will be better off as a FFA? I also have a question, do the rest of you value a victory in a FFA game less if it's a team victory instead of a solo victory?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I also have a question, do the rest of you value a victory in a FFA game less if it's a team victory instead of a solo victory?
    Personally no. Although if the alliance block was too large it might be a bit lame depending no the number of players left.

I'm talking 2 factions who claim allied victory instead of being forced to massacre each other for 20 turns after they've been fighting alongside one another and eliminated everyone else together.

@Domen,

I see you have been engaged int he discussion about the balance in these games. Would you like to try playing one over here in the Throne Room?
    I would play one but not at the moment, I'm quite busy too and I already have hmmm +/- 6 HS campaigns on another forum.

It's more than enough for me considering the amount of my free time so I don't take any new ones for the time being.

When I finish one, I can start one new.

I also have a question, do the rest of you value a victory in a FFA game less if it's a team victory instead of a solo victory?
    No. And team victories are more frequent than solo victories. Maybe because players rather like to claim a team victory than continue the HS for 30 more turns, trying to destroy each others' powerful factions. Long "positional war" of 2 equally strong enemies is not so funny.

And also when someone is "selfish" and wants to achieve a solo win, other players tend to unite against such person.

Although if the alliance block was too large it might be a bit lame depending no the number of players left.
    Yeah.

Imagine all factions uniting against TO in Teutonic campaign and then claiming victory and campaign end after destroying TO.

But that would be an extreme example.
    Last edited by Domen; 08-01-2012 at 17:55.

Having had a bit of a hiatus from the Throne Room, I'd be rearing to get back into some hotseats. I'd be up for a Crusades and a Britannia one, if they were hosted.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Are there any current TW RPGs going on? I know The King's RTW one is in a kind of limbo, but over the past 2-3 weeks I've been binging through the Throne Room archives and wouldn't mind playing in another one.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 08-04-2012 at 04:23.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Knight of the Crusade Member Thanatos Eclipse's Avatar

A team battle for crusades would be problematic at the beginning due to there being only 5 starting factions, but if you skipped the game ahead to when the Venetians arrived you might be able to work out a 2 or 3 team game. Although it's been forever since I've actually seen the Venetian invasion so I have no idea how their forces would compare to the other factions.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos Eclipse View Post
    A team battle for crusades would be problematic at the beginning due to there being only 5 starting factions, but if you skipped the game ahead to when the Venetians arrived you might be able to work out a 2 or 3 team game. Although it's been forever since I've actually seen the Venetian invasion so I have no idea how their forces would compare to the other factions.
    Well, the team battles discussions have been more about Britannia and Teutonics, so we could do a normal FFA crusades game and a team Britania one how about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos Eclipse View Post
    Going off of memory, they bring three separate armies, though I don't remember quite how big they were. They've got all types of units so they're handicapped in auto-resolve, but I seem to remember they come with catapults.

Blog Entries

I'm planning to get started on the "Diplomacy" hotseat soon. However, I'm not sure how to adjust the rules to account for Battleaxe's particular features, and was wondering if I could get some help from people more experienced.

1. Forts in Battleaxe are prohibitively expensive by design. That means lead battles aren't practical, right?
    2. Catapult makers require a minor city or a fortress. But since everyone starts with castles, a catapult would only be useful under the normal rules if someone chose to convert to a large. How should the rules regarding opening walls be changed to account for this nerfing of artillery?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    1. Forts in Battleaxe are prohibitively expensive by design. That means lead battles aren't practical, right?
    It depends on what the map is like. If there are a lot of trees about we could go LB and it would add some real tension as you'd have to hide each turn...

2. Catapult makers require a minor city or a fortress. But since everyone starts with castles, a catapult would only be useful under the normal rules if someone chose to convert to a large. How should the rules regarding opening walls be changed to account for this nerfing of artillery?
    Not sure I follow...are you saying catapults aren't useful because no-one has the level of walls that require them?

Blog Entries

What I'm worried about is that the game might be finished before anyone is realistically able to recruit catapults, not to mention trebuchets which require a higher level settlement.

What I'm worried about is that the game might be finished before anyone is realistically able to recruit catapults, not to mention trebuchets which require a higher level settlement.
    Ah I see.

Well if it's an AR game you can either leave it as it is, in which case players would have to bring enough men to the fight an leave them in siege for a turn, or just make ballistae able to open everything.

Alternatively if you don't mind messing around with the starting position you could use console commands to give everyone a fortress and siege workshop from the beginning.

If it's a fought battles game you are pretty much forced to either change things at the start or use some rules which allow agents to open the gates.

alright, for the kingdoms games, anyone have a preference for AR vs fought? If not, I'll probably make the Britannia one AR, and the crusades one fought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    alright, for the kingdoms games, anyone have a preference for AR vs fought? If not, I'll probably make the Britannia one AR, and the crusades one fought.
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm playing TATW 3.2 and I must say it's the best LOTR game I've ever tried. It's so much polished than the older version we use in the hotseat - truly a pleasure to play.

It's my birthday today BTW. I'll be back on Monday.

Happy birthday myth!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast