Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Default Re: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Conference of Narbo

The talks begin. Caesar enters the hall,accompanied by several other Roman. In the hall the representatives of various tribes have gathered, in wait for the talks to begin. Caesar sits down at the end of the table and begins his opening speech:

"Warlords and Chieftains, Ave!

Rome welcomes you all to this meeting and i have to say that i am personally very glad that so many of you have decided to honour us with your presence. No matter how the meeting will end and how you reply to our suggestions, Caesar will guarantee that your personal safety is guaranteed and that you will have safe return to your home.

"Before we start. I would like to introduce you some of my Legion commanders to you:

Titus Labienus, aka Fisherking , commander of Legion X Equestris

Quintus Tullius Cicero, aka Csargo,
    commander of Legion XI Claudia

Publius Licinius Crassus, aka Andres,
    commander of Legion VIII Augusta

Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus, aka GeneralHangerchief,
    commander of Legion VIIII Hispana

Quintus Titurius Sabinus, aka Husar,
    commander of Legion XII Fulminata

After the reacent Helvetii disturbance (1). I have thought of ways how to present a resolution to many problems in Gaul and why not in Britain and Germania. I am about to give you all an offer and before i do so. I would like to make it clear that this offer is an open one, so if you cant accept it now.You may reconsider it later.

As many of you know. In the Roman province of Gallia Transalpina, many Celtic tribes live inside the realm of SPQR. Some of those tribes are present here also now. As first and foremost upon them are the Allobroges, ruled by our good friend,
    Chief Catugnatus. They live under the protection of Rome and the term we use for it. Is a protectorate. Similar arrangement will be made for the remnants of Helvetii also, as we do not wish for them to perish completely even while they erred against Rome. Such is the leniency of the People and Senate of Republic of Rome.

Now what does a protectorate mean, you might ask? Being a Roman Protectorate will mean that you will get an trade agreement with Rome. Thus all the products of Rome and mediterranian will be available to you. Second. Rome will guarantee your safety against any invaders. Third. When you go to war as allies of Rome and send warriors to us, as Auxilia.Rome gives you full share of the loot and bounty to you, based on the number and strength of the warriors you send for our aid.

Thus.If you will become a Protectorate of Rome. You will become rich from loot, wealthy from trade and you do not have to live in fear as Rome will protect your lands.

Now, what Rome wants in return? Each protectorate will pay tribute to Rome, so we can better provide security and build roads and other so the trade will flow better. Protectorate will allow Roman Legions to camp on their land, while Legions will pay them a market prize for any supplies they need. When called upon, each protectorate will send Auxilia troops to help Rome in war. This usually means that the War is near to you already. What else? Nothing.

You will continue govern your lands as you please, like Allobrages and dozen or so other Celtic tribes are doing at Gallia Transalpina and Rome will not interfere your internal affairs unless those matters threaten Rome.

This is all. How say thee? Now the word is free for you to use.

(1)= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bibracte
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-20-2011 at 18:44.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quite a fine display of cunningly forcing one's rule to people, without earning the right to...
    The Katuwellaunoi's embassy is here merely as observers, if Roma wishes to trade, then so be it, but free Keltoi shall rule themselves with no restrictions!
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-20-2011 at 21:15.

To the representatives of the Catuvellauni:

"This is a fair opinion you have. If you do not need the help of Rome. We will not force our help to anyone."

Caesar
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To Casear:

This sounds great on paper but what is stopping you from taking us over if a war breaks out and we assist you and your forces march though our lands to get to the foe? That is the primary concern. However, I would be more then happy to trade with your people.

Ariovistus of the Suebi

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Great warlord Caeser,

Your finely spoken words will be a sharp relief for much of Gaul - your words of peace and prosperity are heartening for such a war-torn land. We would request that we take time to consider your proposal, considering it is a momentous and tempting decision. We do have some queries for both the Caeser and the Senate.

As has been mentioned by other representatives how can you promise us fair rule, and justice within our lands? The grand armies of Rome would find some enemies abroad, and the promise of having our lands untouched and not ravaged would be heartening - and add to your weighty proposal. Having a council of Roman advisors/observers who reside in the capital would add to our confidence in these promises.

Secondly the Auxillia bands we would promise to send you - these men have grown up within our tribes and we hold each life dearly. A similar promise of respect would have to be granted and kept to, as well as minor steps backwards, such as having our own commanders in some of these bands and perhaps independant companies within the grand army?

Once the Republic has answered these questions, we would request time to consider this proposal, as warlord Caeser must surely sympathesize with. Meanwhile we would embrace the offer of trade warmly and offer open borders and gates to any Roman who happens to wander as far north as us.

Messenger of the Nervii tribe
    Representing Warlord Boduognatus

Procounsul Caesar,

The Aedui and Romans have for a long time lived in harmony. Rome has protected and traded with our people for generations, and in return, we have sent our own men to aid you as well. Furthermore, we thank you for intervention against the tyrant Orgetorix, who led his people astray. As such, an agreement would be on a natural course with our current relations. However, we would like to hear more before we commit ourselves to any agreement. How many troops would we be required to provide? How much tribute, and in what form of payment? And we would also like to make sure that, should our lands house a Roman Legion, they would not sap our resources so thin as to endanger our own people.

Lastly, one more thing catches us off guard. In your agreement, you state that our troops would only be called upon if "the War is near to you already." However, you also claim we will become "rich from loot." Although raids are a source of income, I would by no means call it "rich." One would be lead to believe then, especially due to your choice of the word, "war,"
    that you would believe that a full scale war would be coming to Gaul soon. Now, as far as I see, we Gauls are content without large scale engagements. I hope you merely misunderstand our culture due to your run in with Orgetorix, who seemed intent on migrating all of the Hevetii peoples. Otherwise, I might fear a forthcoming Roman invasion.

On behalf of the Aedui people,
    Diviciacus the Druid
    (I will actually be playing as Dumnorix, I just figured it would be more accurate to send Diviciacus to this council.)

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Numbers at the beginning of the game:

A) Foodproduction in 1.000t grain per year
    B) Total Population
    C) Infantry
    D) Cavalry

[B]Remi...........A) 21....B) 70.000...C) 30.000...D) 500
    Nervii..........A) 12....B) 40.000...C) 15.000...D) 200
    Aedui..........A) 40....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
    Arverni........A) 40....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
    Sequani.......A) 15....B) 50.000....C) 19.000...D) 1.000
    Venetes.......A) 20....B) 50.000....C) 20.000...D) 0
    Sotiates.......A) 18....B) 40.000....C) 15.000...D) 0
    Suebes........A) 18....B) 90.000....C) 39.000...D)1.000
    Allobroges....A) 10....B) 25.000....C) 8.000.....D) 2.000
    Catuvellau....A) 21....B) 70.000....C) 29.000...D) 1.000 (chars)[/
    B]

Suessiones....A) 30...B) 100.000...C)39.000...D) 1.000
    Atrebates Bel.A) 7,5..B) 25.000.....C) 9.500....D) 500
    Viromandui....A) 4,5..B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
    Eburones .......A) 21..B) 70.000.....C) 30.000..D) 0
    Menapii..........A) 4,5.B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D)0
    Aulerci...........A) 6,6.B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
    Carnutes........A) 12...B) 40.000.....C) 13.000... D) 2.000
    Namnetes.......A) 7....B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
    Parisii.............A) 12..B) 40.000.....C) 15.000....D) 0
    Treveri............A) 21..B) 70.000.....C) 28.000...D) 3.000
    Veragri/Seduni..A) 21.B) 70.000.....C) 30.000...D) 0
    Cautil...............A) 6...B) 20.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
    Trivobantes.......A) 14.B) 35.000.....C)14.000...D) 1.000
    Mandubii...........A) 4...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
    Segusiavi ..........A)4....B) 12.000.....C) 4.000...D) 1.000
    Senones............A) 4...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000...D) 0

This is the complete list of all tribes in this game. Please note that the Mandubii, Segusiavi and Senones are friends of the Aedui. Eburones are protected by the Treveri.

Peasant Phill, could you please make a map with all of them?

Food: This si your annual production in a grain unit. Every person consumes abot 300 kg per year. If there si not enough, people will become unhappy!
    For campaigns or garrisons abroad, this is what you have to supply for soldiers:
    6 kg per week for soldiers, 70 kg per week for barbarian cavalry, 90 kg per week for Roman cavalry. Before the new harvest, all old grain is reduced by 50%. The remaining part can be used in the new year. The numbers can be reduced by bad weather, destruction etc..
    Money: I decided to keep money simple: There are some tribes with some income, mainly from the trade with Rome. These are: Allobroges, Arverni, Aedui, Sequani, Senones, Parisii Veneti and Catuvellau. The Suebes have some money from the tribute they get from Aedui. These tribes spend their money in better arms and luxury (oh this red wine!). If you really need money, you can either make more trade, invade your neighbors or sell slaves. But money does not matter much for the Gaul/Germanians/Britons). It is a diffrent story for Rome and I will send Kage special conditions.
    By the way, selling a slave (grown up, not too old, good condition) will bring 500 sestercii. A Roman soldiers costs 100 sest. per year payment. Recruitment and equipment takes 500.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 07-22-2011 at 12:38.

At this point, a dark haired warlord of the Suessiones stood up to make his speach. His words come slowly and it seems as if he has more experience with his battle axe than with speaches:
    My Roman friend, I am glad to be at this meeting and hope that the good friendship of Romans and Celtii will lead to a new age of wealth. We, the mighty tribe of the Suessiones, would welcome this. Which does not mean that we forgot how to fight - if it is necessary.
    Next speaker is a priest of the smaller tribes of the Carnutes. He seems to be more experiences in rhetoric:
    "Celtii, Bretonii, Belgii and Auitanii, we all heard the words of the Roman and we, the Carnutes, were pleased, when he talked of peace and wealth. Because we like the idea of a free Gallia, with a common peace and wealth for everyone. And therefore, we were very curious of the idea of this foreign man. Then he began to talk about protection, military service and prey. Now his words began to taste different, a tatse of war and slavery. This made us worry. Therefore I would like to say to this Roman, that we would love to hear more about his peace and wealth, and we would like him to explain where the prey should come from in this vision of peace."
    At the end of this day, many chiefs meet to discuss informal and to drink huge amounts of apple wine. At this occasion, the tongue of the Suessioni warlord becomes quicker and quicker as he begins to tell tales of the proud Gaulish campaigns against Rome. Further more there was some fighting between men from Aedui and Suebes, but the Roman guard ended them quickly.

After few hours absence from the negotiations.Caesar returns to the hall. Checks with his scribes and starts to talk after few minutes od trying to get attention from the now bit toxicated crowd:

My friends,

The custom among the tribes is if i am not completely misundersttod your ways, for men to join strong clans, Clans joining strong tribes and tribes joining strong confederations. Have i understood this perfectly wrong?

I ask you my friends. Which is a stronger tribe then The Senate and People of Rome? The lands of Rome stretch from the sunrise to sundown. Still do we raid our samller Celtic neighbours? No we do not. Our goal is for men to live in peace and prosperity, not war. But like we have shown few times. Rome is ready for a brawl if someone will break the peace, we hold so dear.

To those who ask why i talk about military service, loot and blunder. I ask you men: Is there peace at Gaul? Has there ever been peace at Gaul? Maybe one of the druids can tell me if there is an record of peaceful days at Gaul, Germania or The Isles?

I am not bringing war to Gaul. The war is here already. I am an practical man and want peace, but i am prepared for War. I know that the Helvetii , will not be the last ones to threaten Roman peace, so if i would offer you a dream of peace and peace only. Would i not be lying to you? What i offer is friendship and protection both during peace and War. That makes me practical, not a warlike.

Can you see my point in this?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The warlord of the Suessiones roars:
    What comes to your mind, cock of a Roman? Do you think we are powerless wrecks, like the dogs of Allobroges at your side. Since you defeated some homeless tribes from the mountains you think you can act the big shot? Never forget Brennus, who defeated your capitol. There are many like this hero and you we can teach you a lesson whenever we like to.
    I tell you one think, boy from Italy, go back to Rome, where you belong to and where you are out of danger. Do not dare to talk with men any longer. Run and flee your misery, foolish Roman. Run and leave Gallia!

Caesar burst into a laughter and yells to the servants:

"Bring that man best wine we have! Chief of
    Suessiones has just proven my words right!Chief, will you be King of Gaul? Would you like to be one? I like you Celts.You say what you think and never back down. You have spine. The same thing i look at when i choose my Legates. Some are optimates, but some are not. To Caesar ability is lot more important then bloodline. Chief of Suessiones, will you drink a toast with me? Men like you i would always like to call my friends!"

Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

A Pritanoi Druid, accompanying the Katuwellaunoi, took the word:

"Noble Caesar, as a carrier of history I must speak to you, there's war in Gaul true, but that's the nature of things. I recall great turmoil in your Republic aswell, brothers killing eachother in your most sacred capital too! Romani brought war into what you call Narbonensis few generations back, do not twist the past and the presence, otherwise the gods' wrath will descend upon you"
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-23-2011 at 02:43.

Blog Entries

As a sign of good will to all, my fellow tribes and the Romans, I wish to give everyone a gift to take home with them to not only remember that the Subei tribe can be friendly as well as strong, but to remember this great meeting!

Art. of the Subei

The representatives of the Sotiates sit, huddled in a corner. They whisper as they discuss Caesar's words and their fellow tribe's actions. A decision is made:
    "The mighty Sotiates have no need of you Roman's warriors or trade. We rule ourselves, and will no foreign tribe put their warriors in our lands! And this trade, you just seek to spread your influence among us, softening us. Our mighty tribe must refuse your proposition Caesar." The representative sat down.
    Last edited by Mr. Stuka; 07-23-2011 at 01:01.

Kassiwalaunos, as the meeting in Narbo took place, marched towards Camulodunon with 20.000 foot warriors and 500 chariots...
    Keeping close to the Tamesas, the war host was ready to meet with the Trinovantoi in open battle!
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-22-2011 at 19:14.

Ariovistus,

You can take your "gift" back where you got it. Its likely poisoned anyhow, you son of a she-dog! Begone, for there is no place in the lands of Gaul for you!

Diviciacus the Druid

Procounsul Caesar,

As my fellow Gauls have confessed, we resent your claim that we are inferior to Rome. We Gauls are mighty and always have been! And the alliance between the Aedui and Romans has been mighty as well. Still, the Aedui people do not wish to take such a step as suggested by you. We are a strong, proud people, and are capable of handling ourselves. Still, I wish not to sour relations with Rome. Our upcoming fight against Ariovistus and the tribes that have fallen under his sway is a fight Id like to see Romans alongside our proud warriors.

Diviciacus the Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    The Suebes have some money from the tribute they get from Aedui.
    OOC: Wait a sec, has the Aedui-Suebi/Sequani/Arverni conflict already happened? If so, most of what I had said would be different.

Caesar, looks with interest towards the druid representing Aedui and says:

"So you wish not to to be our friend and protectorate, but you would like us to help you fight Suebi, who has gained a title from Roman senate, a friend of Rome. What do you mean?"

"Where did i say you were inferior to us? Roma does not think Celtii as inferior.Rome is just not anymore the village Brennus sacked. Everyone must take a stand. Now you have an opportunity for it.That is what i am representing to you all."

"To Sotiates. That is a honest word of a honest man and like said before.If you reject our offer, no harm will come to you from it."

"Catuvellanous. If some of the British tribes will claim protectorate of Rome. You will not conquer them, or you will have war with us. If we had the naval forces to defeat Carthage.Do you think your naval power will stop my legates from coming into British isles?"

Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-22-2011 at 20:21.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

As Azunti said, can we have a time frame of when we are atm please? :)

This is not official but how i understand the date is just after the Roman defeat of Helvetii, im sure this is so complex, that franc has hard time creating everything, but i agree.we need dates.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

OOC: Yes, a date would be good. Whether Caesar has defeated Ariovistus yet is obviously of great importance to me as the Sequani, and influences my response here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azunti View Post
    OOC: Wait a sec, has the Aedui-Suebi/Sequani/Arverni conflict already happened? If so, most of what I had said would be different.

Um Yeah, I'll give you some time to figure that stuff out .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azunti View Post
    Ariovistus,

You can take your "gift" back where you got it. Its likely poisoned anyhow, you son of a she-dog! Begone, for there is no place in the lands of Gaul for you!

Diviciacus the Druid

Procounsul Caesar,

As my fellow Gauls have confessed, we resent your claim that we are inferior to Rome. We Gauls are mighty and always have been! And the alliance between the Aedui and Romans has been mighty as well. Still, the Aedui people do not wish to take such a step as suggested by you. We are a strong, proud people, and are capable of handling ourselves. Still, I wish not to sour relations with Rome. Our upcoming fight against Ariovistus and the tribes that have fallen under his sway is a fight Id like to see Romans alongside our proud warriors.

Diviciacus the Druid

Diviciacus,

Are you that desperate to destroy my tribe? Are you that desperate that you will try to get Rome to attack me in conjunction with your armies? What is next? The Arvenni and the Sequani? And by the way, get your information correct you pig before you start speaking rubbish.

Ariovistus of the Suebi

I've found a blank map, with basic geography, which looked nice to fill in for political boundaries...
    Only problem, I don't know why, colours got altered and are a bit weird :D

Also, Franconicus, can you tell me what tribe is this? So I can add it to the map...

Cautil...............A) 6...B) 20.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
    The map is to give a general idea of the territories, I tried to be as accurate as I could...

If Phill can make a better one, I will remove this asap...
    It's handy because I can refill borders at any time, but I only have paint sorry ^^

Edited with all tribes, get more players so we can add more! :D
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-23-2011 at 20:33.

The Arverni representative speaks up:

We are a proud people and cannot accept the terms presented by the Roman proconsul. We are warriors and can defend ourselves against any threat. It would shame us all to cower behind the legions of Rome. If Rome wants our friendship, then Rome should be willing to treat us as equals.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

The story begins right after Ceasar's victory against the Helvetii. This victory marks not only the beginning of Caesar's campaign, it also demonstrates the military power of the Romans. The Romans killed hundred thousands, men and women and tought a lesson to all Gaul.
    After the battle, the historical Caesar invited all Lords to a meeting to show that the balance has changed and that he was willing to care for Gaul and that every further change would have to be approved by the Romans.
    I thought this was a good starting point.
    Caesar went on making war right after the conference. Some of the Gauls were his allies, some were his enemies, some were neutral.

Anything else you need?

Arjos, thank you for the map. It will be very helpful!

No problem, also if I got the year right, it should be around 58 BC, so it's correct to have the Suebi established in part of the Sequani territory...
    Let me know if you need me to add any other tribe, and if you can please tell me who are the Cautil :)
    If anyone, with a better knowledge about boundaries than me, finds an error I'll fix it straight away...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-23-2011 at 16:15.

Sorry, I meant the Cantii or Cantae, a Briton tribe near Kent.

Ariovistus:

Your tribe is encroaching on our lands, you tyrant. Go back across the Rhine where you belong, and leave the Gauls alone. I would wish you no harm if you didnt have your eyes on the lands of Gaul to be your own! Begone from here! You are no friend of the Gauls, only a bully come with his own overly ambitious claims!

Diviciacus

Procounsul Caesar,

We wish to be your friend and ally of course, like we have had for generations. The Aedui are very grateful of the friendship we share and both sides have benefited from the alliance through the years. The only thing is, we wish not to become a protectorate.

We would hope that, despite your recent declarations of friendship with Ariovistus, that our long lasting alliance would be of more import to you, and thus you would help us defend our lands from the encroaching tyrant. After all, it is they who plot to attack us and break the power balance of Gaul, not the other way around. The Aedui would gladly welcome Rome's warriors, who would gain much of the spoils in return. I should surely hope that Rome would honor its previous agreements and join us in defense of our peoples. Am I wrong in believing they would?

Diviciacus

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Warlord Diviscicus and Warlord Ariovistus,

As a observer of this arguement I would ask both parties to keep their aggression in check. The harsh words exchanged have more a chance of stirring up war then ambition ever would. I applaud Caeser's attempts to deal peace to Gaul, and would remind all fellow warlords, in the spirit of tribal comradeship, that encouraging anyone to raise war would not be advantageous to any party.

Warlord Boduognatus,

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast