Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Commentarii de Bello Gallico

„Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur ...“

Gallia is divided into three parts, Belgae, Aquitani and Celtae. In former time a realm ruled by a Celtic King, it now resolves into hundreds of tribes and clans. Each tribe or clan has several noble families competing for the reign. Every leader depends on his support base, which grows or decreases depending on his personal skills, for example his sense for justice, his strength, his financial power, his visions and so on. Is this base eroding, another nobleman may gain the support of the tribe and the former leader will loose his office – and maybe his life.
    But even as long as he is chief, his power is limited. There is no such thing as a standing army. To repel an invasion, the warriors of the tribe have to be called to arms. If the chief wants to invade foreign territories, he has to motivate the warriors, as the service is voluntary. So it is plain to see that a chief should be inspirational.
    Celtic warriors are known for their fighting furore, often causing panic amongst their enemies. They are wild and strong men, but you should not expect things like discipline, steadfastness or patience. The chance for easy prey may enthuse them, but hunger may dispirit them rapidly.
    Between the tribes there is a system of patronage: clans and smaller tribes try to get under the patronage of a mighty tribe, which protects them and supports their interests. The stronger a tribe is, the more smaller tribes gather under his patronage and more grows his power base.

During the last decade, the three strongest tribes tried to dominate Gallia: the Aedui, the Arverni and the Sequani. The Sequani, allied with the Arverni, needed help in their fight against the Aedui and found allies on the other side of the River Rhenus. A king of the Germanic Suebes and his followers crossed the river and helped them to reprehend the Aedui. However, they had to give almost one third of their territory to reward the Suebes, and today many Sequani wonder how to get rid of these allies.

The Aedui were allied with the small Roman colony in southern Gallia, called “The Province”. However, the Romans did nothing to help them in their struggle against the Sequani, Arverni and Suebes. Romans were mainly known as traders, especially on the route to the British Islands. Romans were smaller than then the Celtics and weaker. Their soldiers normally did not dare to fight man against man, they preferred to hide in close formations. Nevertheless, Romans are hard to fight. But during the last years, conflicts were rare, as the Romans did not care what was going on in the north.
    This changed, when Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Aulus Gabinius were Consuls at Rome and the Province got a new proconsul named Gaius Julius Caesar. The Helvetii decided to leave their home in the Alps and to move to Gallia. For some reason Ceasar decided to prevent this, he followed them. After a military victory he slaughtered many of the Helvetii and sent the rest home.
    All augurs agree that this campaign will have big impact on the balance of power at Gallia. However, the intentions of the Roman proconsul are still uncertain.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 07-11-2011 at 15:39.

Default Re: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

The first phase of the game begins. Pick up the faction you would like to play and send a post, telling everybody, that you are the chief now. You will receive info and rules later.

• Remi (Swordsmaster)
    • Nervii (Warluster)
    • Aedui (Azunti)
    • Arverni (AggonyDuck)
    • Sequani (AI)
    • Venetes (KingKurt)
    • Sotiates (Mr Stuka)
    • Suebes (ELITEOFKWARMAN88GINGERBREADMAN)
    • Allobroges (Ignoramus)
    • Catuvellauni (Arjos)
    • Eburones (King Jan III Sobieski)
    • Romans (Kagemusha)

REMI

The Remi were a Belgic tribe of north-eastern Gaul (Gallia Belgica). They occupied the northern Champagne plain, on the southern fringes of the Forest of Ardennes, between the rivers Mosa (Meuse) and Matrona (Marne), and along the river valleys of the Aisne and its tributaries the Aire and the Vesle.
    Their tribal capital was at Durocortum (Reims, France) the second largest oppidum of Gaul on the Vesle. Allied with the Germanic tribes of the east, they repeatedly engaged in warfare against the Parisii and the Semones. They were renowned for their horses and cavalry.
    A founding myth preserved or invented by Flodoard of Reims makes Remus, brother of Romulus, the eponymous founder of the Remi, having escaped their fraternal rivalry instead of dying in Latium.

Nervii

The Nervii were an ancient Germanic tribe, and one of the most powerful Belgic tribes; living in the northeastern hinterlands of Gaul, they were known to trek long distances to engage in various wars and functions.
    Julius Caesar considered them the most warlike of the Belgic tribes. He says that their culture was a Spartan one: they would not partake of alcoholic beverages or any other such luxury, feeling that the mind must remain clear to be brave. He also says they had no trade or merchant class of any kind, which would lead to the assumption that they had no currency, and were probably not a very rich or economically developed people.

Aedui

The country of the Aedui is defined by reports of them in the ancient writers. The upper Loire formed their western border, separating them from the Bituriges. The Saône formed their eastern border, separating them from the Sequani. The Sequani did not reside in the region of the confluence of the Doubs into the Saône and of the latter into the Rhône, as Caesar says that the Helvetii, following the pass between the Jura Mountains and the Rhône southwards, which belonged to the Sequani, plundered the territory of the Aedui. These circumstances explain an apparent contradiction in Strabo, who in one sentence says that the Aedui lived between the Saône and the Doubs, and in the next, that the Sequani lived across the Saône (eastward). Both statements are true, the first in the south, and the second to the north.
    According to Livy (v. 34), they took part in the expedition of Bellovesus into Italy in the 6th century BC.

Before Caesar's time they had attached themselves to the Romans, and were honoured with the title of brothers and kinsmen of the Roman people. When the Sequani, their neighbours on the other side of the Arar, with whom they were continually warring with, invaded their country and subjugated them with the assistance of a Germanic chieftain named Ariovistus, the Aedui sent Diviciacus, the druid, to Rome to appeal to the senate for help, but his mission was unsuccessful[

Arverni

The Arverni were a Gallic tribe living in what is now the Auvergne region of France during the last centuries. Their most important stronghold was Gergovia, near the present-day commune of Clermont-Ferrand.
    The Arverni had once been the most powerful tribal hegemony in Gaul during the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC under their king, Luernios, but when his son (or grandson) Bituitus was defeated by the Romans in 121 BC, their ascendancy passed to the Aedui and Sequani. Unlike the Allobroges, who were brought under direct Roman rule as a result of the Celtic wars of the 120s, the Arverni negotiated a treaty that preserved their independence, though their territory was diminished. No further Arvernian kings are mentioned in the historical record, and they may have adopted a constitutional oligarchy at this time. However, there were at least two later attempts to re-establish rulership. The defeat of the Arverni led directly to the establishment of Gallia Narbonensis as a Roman province, referred to simply as the Provincia so often that a part of the ancient region is today known as Provence.
    The King Luernios was mentioned in writing by the Greek ethnographer Posidonius. Luernios was known to have scattered gold and silver coins to his followers while riding in his chariot. Under Luernios, the Arverni was at the head of a formidable Gallic military hegemony which stretched from the Rhine to the Atlantic coast.

Sequani

Sequani, in ancient geography, were a Gallic people who occupied the upper river basin of the Arar (Saône), the valley of the Doubs and the Jura Mountains, their territory corresponding to Franche-Comté and part of Burgundy.
    Before the arrival of Julius Caesar in Gaul, the Sequani had taken the side of the Arverni against their rivals the Aedui and hired the Suebi under Ariovistus to cross the Rhine and help them (71 BC). Although his assistance enabled them to defeat the Aedui, the Sequani were worse off than before, for Ariovistus deprived them of a third of their territory and threatened to take another third, while subjugating them into semi-slavery.

Veneti/Venetes

The Veneti were a seafaring Celtic people who lived in the Brittany peninsula, which in Roman times formed part of an area called Armorica
    Other ancient Celtic peoples historically attested in Armorica include the Redones, Curiosolitae, Osismii, Esubii and Namnetes.

The Veneti inhabited southern Armorica, along the Morbihan bay. They built their strongholds on coastal eminences, which were islands when the tide was in, and peninsulas when the tide was out. Their most notable city, and probably their capital, was Darioritum (now known as Gwened in Breton or Vannes in French), mentioned in Ptolemy's Geography.

The Veneti built their ships of oak with large transoms fixed by iron nails of a thumb's thickness. They navigated and powered their ships through the use of leather sails. This made their ships strong, sturdy and structurally sound, capable of withstanding harsh condition of the Atlantic.

Sotiates

The Sotiates were a Celtic people who lived in Aquitania.

Suebes

The Suebi of Julius Caesar's De Bello Gallico live in 100 cantons of arable land, of which each canton retains ownership, parceling farm lots to individuals to use for up to one year. They wear animal skins, bathe in rivers, and prohibit wine. They allow trade only to dispose of their booty and otherwise have no goods to export.

They are of a military disposition, drafting yearly 1000 men per canton for service of one year. With these troops they raid Gaul on the other side of the Rhine river frequently, thus involving Gaul's protector, the Roman Republic, whose agent in the field is one of its greatest generals, Julius Caesar. Lacking a central government and disrespecting all authority, they rely on the services of war chiefs, who in the age of migrations will become Suebian kings.
    As to their location, they live next to the Cherusci, which places them between the Rhine river and the middle Elbe river. Their innermost refuge is Silva Bacenis, "Beech Wood", which various authors take to be some section of the Hercynian Forest, such as the Thuringian Forest, the Harz Mountains or the Black Forest. In ancient times Germany was heavily forested and these three forests were more or less continuous. They could not have farmed the forests, however, leaving the Main River bottom and the upper Elbe as the only possibilities.
    Before the arrival of Julius Caesar in Gaul, the Sequani had taken the side of the Arverni against their rivals the Aedui and hired the Suebi under Ariovistus to cross the Rhine and help them (71 BC).

Catuvellauni

The Catuvellauni were a tribe or state of south-eastern Britain before the Roman conquest. Their territory was bordered to the north by the Iceni and Corieltauvi, to the east by the Trinovantes, to the west by the Dobunni and Atrebates, and to the south by the Regnenses and Cantiaci.

The Catuvellauni may be related to the Catalauni, a people of Belgic Gaul attested in the region of Châlons-en-Champagne. The name itself is derived from the Old Brythonic catu - wellauni meaning "battle chieftains" or "battle leaders". This ultimately derives from the Proto-Celtic "catu", battle, and "wali", to lead.

Allobroges

The Allobroges were a Celtic tribe of ancient Gaul, located between the Rhône River and the Lake of Geneva in what later became Savoy, Dauphiné, and Vivarais. Their cities were in the areas of modern-day Annecy, Chambéry and Grenoble, the modern departement of Isère, and modern Switzerland. Their capital was today's Vienne. The first recorded reference to the Allobroges is from the Greek historian Polybius in 150-130 BC. He tells how they unsuccessfully resisted Hannibal when he crossed the Alps in 218 BC.
    In 123 BC, the Allobroges gave shelter to king Tutomotulus (or Teutomalius), of the Salluvii tribe Rome had conquered and refused to hand him over. Rome declared war and moved against them. On August 8, 121 BC legions of Quintus Fabius Maximus defeated them and forced them to submit; Maximus earned a moniker Allobrogicus for this feat.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 09-24-2011 at 14:13.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

„Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae...“
    Where are the strongest then?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Remi and Nervii are tribes of Belgae.

I will take over the Arverni, if that is fine with everyone.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

I, Gaius Julus Caesar, proconsul of Rome and Governor of Gisalpine Gaul,Transalpine Gaul and Illyricum, salute all of you my friends.May there be peace and good relationship between the Senate and Republic of Rome and you all. If you have any problems of any sort.Do not hesitate to contact SPQR, as Rome will always help their friends.

Caesar
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-07-2011 at 16:50.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I wanted to claim the Nervii as it's the only one I know on that list.
    Because of this comic

I'll settle for the Remi, as the other 'Belgian' tribe.
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 07-07-2011 at 18:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

May I have the Aedui please?

Blog Entries

Welcome Azunti, it's great to have a new member at these parts. These IH's always seem to draw from the same pool of members.

More blood for the blood god and all that.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Put me down as the Ventes - I shall strike like the wind
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Franc

I assume that you mean the Veneti from Britany? - I have just Wikied them and I am trying to work out how I managed - with no knowledge what so ever - to choose the only Gaulish tribe to take on Ceasar on the sea!!

I must just be subconsciously drawn!!
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who the hell are the Suebes?

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Phil: Thanks! Im excited to play!
    Kurt: I believe so.
    Warman: The Suebi are Germans from across the Rhine that gave Rome a lot of trouble, but basically the story goes: the Arveni and Sequani attacked the Aedui and the Suebi helped them in exchange for some of the Sequanis land. Then, they slowly encroached upon the Sequani until Rome had to do something about it...

I have no idea what the Sotiates are, though.
    Franconicus: Disclaimer: Before you go making me a historian or something, I only know most of this for spending about an hour and a half reading wiki articles.

Blog Entries

Guess I have to buy Caesar's memoirs now.

Welcome Azunti! It is good to have a humble historian here.
    Not every player would be so smart to look at Wiki

More blood for the blood god and all that.
    Yes - I WANT MORE BLOOD!

More players are needed. More, more, more!

Kage-san, you as a content manager, can you tell me whom to ask for an announcement i the whole org?

all: Anybody here willing and able to help me with maps. Not a lot to do, but I am totally unable

Blog Entries

Sure, what is it you want exactly?

Blog Entries

I be back on Monday by the way .

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

May I jump in as the Sequani?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck View Post
    I will take over the Arverni, if that is fine with everyone.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    I, Gaius Julus Caesar, proconsul of Rome and Governor of Gisalpine Gaul,Transalpine Gaul and Illyricum, salute all of you my friends.May there be peace and good relationship between the Senate and Republic of Rome and you all. If you have any problems of any sort.Do not hesitate to contact SPQR, as Rome will always help their friends.

Caesar

I'll jump in as the Sotiates- whoever the hell they are. A google search only came up with: "Defeat of the Sotiates: 56 B.C." ...grim tidings m'lord

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GAH! I fell in love with this IH the moment I saw it. But I will probably be heartbroken because I do not have the time to particpate. I must bury myself in a cave for that! I will follow the IH, though, and you can rely on me if you need some advertisement around the Org.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Welcome on bord, Celtig Viking and Mr Stuka!

I have posted an advertisement about the game in the news section.

Here is also a map. Do we need something better then this? It shows where the tribes are and key locations also.

Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-10-2011 at 19:51.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

If there are still spots left, I'm in as the Katuwellaunoi ^^
    Ready and waiting at Uerlamion (should be Wheathampstead, but dunno its Keltic name XD)...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-10-2011 at 20:08.

heh, kinda hard to find myself on that map

Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Allobroges!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Alright, I guess there are enough players to begin. I put some info at post #2 about the factions. I am still working on rules and goals, but I think you can already begin to negotiate about coalitions and hostilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Sure, what is it you want exactly?
    I think we need a map with the three parts of Gallia, plus southern Britannia and the Roman Provincia. All factions should be marked as well as citties, rivers and if possible, roads.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Kassiwallaunos, Bren of the Katuwellaunoi, ordered to intensify hostilities against the Trinovatoi, leaving on his chariot with a mighty host...

Before departing he entrusted prominent men of the tribe, bards and druids, to enter negotiations with the Atrebatoi, in a kinship spirit between Belgai: wishing for them to act as mediators with the mainland brethrens to consolidate trade and offering a Pan-Belgic alliance, promising to assist against any foe soon as the Trinovatoi were to fall...

The Bren also sent his most distinguished diplomats to set sail with merchants towards the land of the Uenetoi (KingKurt), offering an increase to trade and a naval military pact of co-operation...

Blog Entries

I need info of the military .

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast