Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total History: New fantastic campaign map!!!!

Default Re: Rome Total History: New fantastic campaign map!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    I have long given the Senate a second region. It was one of my first changes. But I can't confirm what you say, that they attack other factions. Yesterday I have seen that they aren't even at war with the slaves. They aren't at war with anybody, unless the other Roman factions are attacked. So it seems they will never go to war with the slaves and it's a pity, because if we can't change it the Senate armies are pretty useless and they will never expand anywhere. If it is hardcoded, it is really stupid. In any case a nation with only one region rarely attacks anyone. I've seen it with the Thracians.

These hardcode limits are one reason among many why the swap between Greek Colonies and Slaves won't work. The Slaves are not less hardcoded than the Senate. Most of all they got all those subfactions.

I can't confirm though that the Senate never has ships. If I remember well, in my first game as Julii (or was it the Greeks, maybe both) they had a huge fleet of 20 biremes and it cost me a lot of time and money to hunt them down.
    But maybe you intended to give them a fleet from the start. Well, I'll try that out.

In the meantime I'll have to strenghten the Julli and the Scipii to get them into Balcan and Sicilian wars. Yesterday the Scipii at least managed to take Rhegium (with some difficulty), but they failed with Messana where Cios of the Mamertines turned out unbeatable.
    I haven't yet edited the Roman armies, so they are still pretty weak and I had a lazy day as Pyrrhus.

After all the senate orders aren't too annoying. I earned 10000 denarii for capturing Apollonia and I think that's acceptable.
    Btw, I have noticed that the Senate button has disappeared since I changed the Bruti culture to Greek. So this problem has been solved and the others are not so bad for the moment, especially since they all will disappear as soon as the Colonies and Rome go to war. Yesterday I had no fun doing so because I knew that the opposing armies were not ready. And the Romans had no reason to complain or didn't dare to.
    Hmm, well, I always heard others say that the Senate goes conquering if you give him a second city - But I never tried it. And I am pretty sure that in 1.5 the Senate has no ships, but I never played another version, so for them I don´t know.

But if the Senate Button disappeared than it is well. Is the Senate Offices Tab vanished, too? Then its fine, the Missions really aren´t that annoying.

And to make them go to war with Slaves: Can´t you make them in descr_strat have war with each other?
    Something like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Descr_strat
    faction_relationships slave, 600 romans_senate
    faction_relationships romans_senate, 600 slave
    Unless the Slaves got Diplomats then this war will hold on forever.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-27-2011 at 07:06.

Blog Entries

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    And to make them go to war with Slaves: Can´t you make them in descr_strat have war with each other?
    Something like:
    faction_relationships romans_senate, 600 slave
    Unless the Slaves got Diplomats then this war will hold on forever.
    You're right! I checked it and that second line was missing. I put it in and now the Senate is at war with the slaves! Tomorrow I'll check and see if they are able to conquer at least Brundisium.

I'm still completing my family trees and doing minor corrections on the map. Yesterday I improved the Eastern Alpes region (Noricum), including the important city of Noreia.
    As regards the family trees, today I finished the Scipii and now remains only the Senate and the Iulii to be done. Unfortunately I got a problem with the Iulii campaign, because recently I always get a CTD when I start them. I don't know what it is. It is strange and I never had this kind of CTD before, because it takes a lot of time before crashing. Usually a CTD comes immediately after clicking on start, but this one runs though the loading bar until the end and only when you think now the map arrives it crashes. And it happens only with the Iulii. Anybody got some idea? Might be related to the Senate mission or something else? I already tried to give the Iulii different regions, but that doesn't seem to affect the thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dacia-jpg.JPG 
Views:	1106 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	2251

In the meantime you get another screenshot. This is Dacia. You can watch one of their leaders marching through the Iron Gate north of the Ister. Looks like a very narrow passage. The Ister is partially navigable. To the south you can see the double chain of the Balkan mountains north of Tylis.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; 09-03-2011 at 17:43.

I have tried to give the Senate more armies and fleets and they're at war with the Slaves, but they still keep doing nothing. Maybe I should also change their character? Currently they are balanced Napoleon. Is there anything more agressive? In any case it would be good to make them prefer naval invasions, because otherwise they'll have little chance to expand.
    A similar problem applies to the Scipii. With the current distribution they usually get Rhegium and sometimes Brundisium, but they never get Messana. Their huge huge army in Sicily keeps just waiting there until the Syracusans get the town. At least sometimes the Romans get Panormus, but they take a lot of time. I don't know why they keep waiting. Maybe they think that one conquest per round is enough? I also put Lucius Cornelius Scipio (the actual conqueror of Corsica) into Corsica, but he just walks around and never attacks. Maybe for the same reason? I just don't know how to get the Romans involved in Illyria. I put a lot of Senate armies there, but they simply walk back to Italy.

For the rest the map is almost complete and I'm ultimating some minor things like mercenary areas. So prepare to get the first trial version very soon.

Here you get another screenshot. This is Bactria, Paropamisos and northern Gandhara. You can recognize the Nanga Parbat (in the Indus knee) and the K2 (northeast of the previous).

Name:	Sogdiana-jpg.JPG 
Views:	1281 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	2277

I have tried to give the Senate more armies and fleets and they're at war with the Slaves, but they still keep doing nothing. Maybe I should also change their character? Currently they are balanced Napoleon. Is there anything more agressive? In any case it would be good to make them prefer naval invasions, because otherwise they'll have little chance to expand.
    A similar problem applies to the Scipii. With the current distribution they usually get Rhegium and sometimes Brundisium, but they never get Messana. Their huge huge army in Sicily keeps just waiting there until the Syracusans get the town. At least sometimes the Romans get Panormus, but they take a lot of time. I don't know why they keep waiting. Maybe they think that one conquest per round is enough? I also put Lucius Cornelius Scipio (the actual conqueror of Corsica) into Corsica, but he just walks around and never attacks. Maybe for the same reason? I just don't know how to get the Romans involved in Illyria. I put a lot of Senate armies there, but they simply walk back to Italy.

For the rest the map is almost complete and I'm ultimating some minor things like mercenary areas. So prepare to get the first trial version very soon.

Here you get another screenshot. This is Bactria, Paropamisos and northern Gandhara. You can recognize the Nanga Parbat (in the Indus knee) and the K2 (northeast of the previous).

Name:	Sogdiana-jpg.JPG 
Views:	1281 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	2277
    Looks Beautiful!
    But I don´t know why they are so passive. The character makes just a very minor difference you probably don´t even notice. The ai is a mystery.

But I found out one thing: If you go to descr_sm_factions you can assign the senate missions:
    If the faction entry is above the Senate entry, the faction gets missions. If it is under it, it won´t get missions. So maybe that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Looks Beautiful!
    But I don´t know why they are so passive. The character makes just a very minor difference you probably don´t even notice. The ai is a mystery.

But I found out one thing: If you go to descr_sm_factions you can assign the senate missions:
    If the faction entry is above the Senate entry, the faction gets missions. If it is under it, it won´t get missions. So maybe that helps.
    Thanks, that is a big help. Now I'm able to take the Greek Colonies completely out of the Senate system.
    But before that I have put the Julii below the Senate and you know what: they don't crash anymore! This confirms my initial suspect that there is something wrong with Senate mission assigned to them. But what could it be? I read that the first mission is hardcoded. But how does the game recognize the city? What if I change the name of Liguria or Genua? Actually I haven't, but I do have changed the regional names of Apollonia and the city name of Syracuse. Yet, the Senate still gets the right mission. Why don't they with the Julii?. Maybe I'll go on swapping some other positions to see if I can find a solution, that won't create problems?

Another problem solved is the number of regions. I actually had two weird colors on the map and I found them with the editor when working on the mercenary pools. Now I got 199 regions. I used the two slots to split up the Massagetae region (adding Chorasmia) and Gallia Aeduensis (adding Sequania with city Vesontio).

Another question. Today I tried to facilitate the aquisition of mercenary leaders. I put the Celtic mercenary leader Autaritus with some mercenary barbarian infantry into the region of Byzacena and gave him trait Disloyal 3. Then I tried to bribe him. It still cost me more than 5000 Denari but what was really annoying is the fact that his army completely disbanded. Is there any possibility to keep at least the mercenary troops when you bribe a foreign or slave army?
    I also wanted to create some uprising of Cilician pirates, gladiators or mercenary troops in specific regions (Cilicia, Campania, Africa, Crete, Corcyra, Dalmatia), but this would be much more interesting if you were able to recruit them sometimes. I understand that bribing disbands opponent armies, but why the mercenaries?

Meanwhile another screenshot, this is centered on Belgica with the navigable Rhine: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belgica-jpg.JPG 
Views:	909 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	2297

hellow my friend i think that you should check extendet greek version mod it will give you some ideas more nice job
    nice work with the passages on the mountains and in the water seriously check out the xgm mod it will give you more ideas great work
    Last edited by philosopher260; 09-11-2011 at 12:06.

Okay, guys; I know, you've been waiting quite a while for this mod. So here is the good news: It's ready, I'm playing, and it's working really well.
    So if you want it let me know and I send you the necessary files via mail. Just leave a personal message.

Now here are a few screenshots:

In the first one I'm playing the Julii and you can observe what happened in Southern Italy: After 10 turns I found a situation very similar to what happened in history: The Scipii lost no time attacking Tarentum and after this initial success they took Brundisium as well. Meanwhile the Greeks Colonies conquered Rhegium, but I can't find their leader Pyrrhus anymore, so I think he is dead. In Sicily the Carthaginians conquered Panormus and the Syracusans took over Agrigentum from its tyrant Phintias. Now they're trying for the second time to capture Messana where the Mamertines still resist.

Name:	276-MagnaGraecia-jpg.JPG 
Views:	1221 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	2524

In this other game I played the Scipii and after nine turns the Julii have made good progress in Gaul. First they took Genua and Bononia, then Patavium. Their attempt to take Taurasia was thwarted, but in the last turn Gaius Marius took Arausio, expanding their domain into Gallia Transalpina. As a defensive measure against Insubrian raiders from Mediolanum, in Gallia Cisalpina they have even built a fortress at Placentia!

Name:	Placentia-jpg.JPG 
Views:	12479 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	2525

Hi, I must say your work looks of great quality!
    If you're interested in team-working for a greater global accuracy effort you might want to take a look at Extended Cultures:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

Our mod includes highly accurate starting family trees (Including the most up to date research on Carthage) as well as great care for the geo-political aspect which you may find highly interesting.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Hi Zarax,

I took a view now. Great looks! What map are you using? Is it an extended vanilla map or are you using a different system? Would you be interested in implementing some of my better defined coastlines and rivers?

Hi Philadelphos,

What we're using is an extensively modified (and still evolving) version of Mundus Magnus, adapted for greater historical accuracy of settlements plus a few game-play tweaks (we are a bit more restrictive when it comes to mountain passes).
    With your permission, using some of your map research could greatly help us speeding up development.

Also, if you're interested, we literally want to take accuracy to the next level: battlefields.
    While we're not interested in reproducing every single tile (it would be a gargantuan effort), we do want to implement some of the more significant locations where possible so that players have a chance to battle into an environment looking somewhat similar to its historical counterpart.

We already implemented a mountain pass battlefield heavily inspired by the cicilian gates (and over which Antiochius' battle of elephants is reproduced at Seleucid campaign start) but we could use the help in researching more locations.

While we don't have the resources to make a 100% accurate artwork our aim is to create a geo-political environment as close as possible to reality so players will feel a faction's historical strength and limits, with their FM actively affecting game-play pace both on local and faction-wide level (we're probably the only mod in which a bad faction leader can in some cases bring down a faction, this is especially seen on large empires).

Would you be interest in collaborating or giving us a professional opinion?
    The best is yet to come.

Our map(Extend Cultures) based on Mundus Magnus map which usually could be considered as Vanilla map but expand north, south and east with some topologic change on some part of the map edge regions in the north and the northeast

Here is major differents in comparison of map_height.tga between vanilla RTW and Mundus Magnus apart from area expansion in north, east, and south are
    1) East Coast of Caspian Sea
    2) Gotland Island
    3) Cimbrian Peninsula
    4) Tritonis Lake

many minor differents are additional lakes locations across map in Mundus Magnus

Apart from topologic twists are also regions' border redrew in Mundus Magnus with a lot of addtional regions.

(red-pink area are water regions in vanilla RTW.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_heights_Comparison_vanilla-xc.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	3439  
    Last edited by Suppanut; 01-17-2012 at 13:10.

Hi Zarax,

my question is whether the Mundus Magnus map uses the same code as the vanilla map. When I asked to join other development teams they told me that their mapping systems were different and thus my work would turn out useless for them. But from what I can see your system seems to be the same.

You might try to implement parts of my map. You could start with just a part. Let's say Britain and Ireland which are improved quite a lot. You could copy the respective parts of my map into yours and see if it works. First you should copy the ground types and the heights map and see if it runs. Then you add the features map with the rivers and the white cliffs of Dover and check again. Maybe you'll get a few problems, because your cities, units or resources end up on rivers or sea. So you'll have to correct that, but for a minor area like Britain it won't be much work. Finally you put the cities and harbors in place (where necessary) and decide if you want to keep your regions or adapt to mine. In some cases it will be necessary to adapt the regional borders to the new coastlines, but that's no huge work. In my map I have also followed rivers and mountain divides for internal borders.

If you provide me an e-mail I can send you my files, so you can try if it works.

Regarding your other questions:

I have been working on battlefields too. I've done it starting with some of the most beleagered cities such as Athens, Rhegium, Messina, Tarentum, Aleria, Sinope and others. I don't remember all. Especially with the coastal cities the results are just great. When you attack Aleria you can see the island of Elba as it appears before the Tuscan coast in a fantastic and very realistic panorama. The strait of Messina is also great and from Rhegium you can view as far as Syracuse. I also fought in the Cilician gates and it looked good. I even conquered Thule, which has one of thegreatest views of the entire map. but the location is a secret and pretty hard to find.

The siege of Aleria (in the background the Tuscan coast and to the left the island of Elba with dominating Mt. Capanne):

Name:	Aleria-jpg.JPG 
Views:	1011 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	3446

One of the most intriguing parts of my map are probably the Alpes. This winter I took a flight form Italy to Germany. Usually when you fly over the Alpes you just see a mass of mountains without distinguishing any specific place. But this time it was different because due to my work on this map I could recognize all the major valleys in Switzerland. Next time I'll choose a seat on the Eastern side of the plane and check if it's the same in Austria too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    Hi Philadelphos,

What we're using is an extensively modified (and still evolving) version of Mundus Magnus, adapted for greater historical accuracy of settlements plus a few game-play tweaks (we are a bit more restrictive when it comes to mountain passes).
    With your permission, using some of your map research could greatly help us speeding up development.

Also, if you're interested, we literally want to take accuracy to the next level: battlefields.
    While we're not interested in reproducing every single tile (it would be a gargantuan effort), we do want to implement some of the more significant locations where possible so that players have a chance to battle into an environment looking somewhat similar to its historical counterpart.

We already implemented a mountain pass battlefield heavily inspired by the cicilian gates (and over which Antiochius' battle of elephants is reproduced at Seleucid campaign start) but we could use the help in researching more locations.

While we don't have the resources to make a 100% accurate artwork our aim is to create a geo-political environment as close as possible to reality so players will feel a faction's historical strength and limits, with their FM actively affecting game-play pace both on local and faction-wide level (we're probably the only mod in which a bad faction leader can in some cases bring down a faction, this is especially seen on large empires).

Would you be interest in collaborating or giving us a professional opinion?

I have been working on battlefields too. I've done it starting with some of the most beleagered cities such as Athens, Rhegium, Messina, Tarentum, Aleria, Sinope and others. I don't remember all. Especially with the coastal cities the results are just great. When you attack Aleria you can see the island of Elba as it appears before the Tuscan coast in a fantastic and very realistic panorama. The strait of Messina is also great and from Rhegium you can view as far as Syracuse. I also fought in the Cilician gates and it looked good. I even conquered Thule, which has one of thegreatest views of the entire map. but the location is a secret and pretty hard to find.

The siege of Aleria (in the background the Tuscan coast and to the left the island of Elba with dominating Mt. Capanne):

One of the most intriguing parts of my map are probably the Alpes. This winter I took a flight form Italy to Germany. Usually when you fly over the Alpes you just see a mass of mountains without distinguishing any specific place. But this time it was different because due to my work on this map I could recognize all the major valleys in Switzerland. Next time I'll choose a seat on the Eastern side of the plane and check if it's the same in Austria too.
    Dear Philadelphos

Sorry for not introduced myself earlier, I am one of members of Extended Culture mod's team and the one that is working on its traits, its map, as well as its strat map's strat map trade resources' system and locations. Like my colleague, Zarax, I'm also glad that you offer your great work to us to addition to our mod.

I have some question about method you are using for implemented battlefield in mod, you are using custom tile setting in campaign or you using strategy map's generating mechanism by engine to create detail you are giving to site as Aleria and Elba island?

I also want some help from historian like you as well. Although my work on strategy map and its economy is something that our mod quite proud about but I'm not yet satisfied about my creation as I'm ameteur historian at best, so many details about regional border, settlements' location/name/significantness, and trade resources' historical locations still have many detail that need to corrected in term of significant of resources and better precise of location of resouce. And as our mod are planned to have some change in map and campaigns to support additional factions the will replacing some current ones, so I want to ask you for your knowledge and opinion as historian about geography, geo-politic, and geo-economy of ancient world to improve future installment of our map in Extended Culture 5 (current one is Extended Culture 4) in the future.

I usually active in Extended Culture's forum in TWCenter but rarely post outside developer's section of that forum. For the way to contact, I will send to you by private message.

Answers to some of your earlier problems.

Four things still need to be revised and completed:
    1. The cities specifications (especially the buildings, while population should be ok)
    2. The resources on the map are ok, but they don't correspond to the ones in the cities list (I don't even know if this is a problem)
    3. The rebels should be revised and specified. For the moment I stuck to the list of the Time map editor, but I'd like to introduce a different rebel name for almost every region.
    4. The mercenary pools are still incomplete. But this is a point that can be decided only in collaboration with the developers of new units. For the moment my strat.txt contains only vanilla units. Military units are out of my range of competence (since most of you are military historians or skinners, I guess you'll be glad to hear that).
    Reply to 2)...
    All resouces those appear on map which placing in campaign from Descr_Strat.txt don't need to assign in Descr_Regions.txt as engine will organized its existance in regional mechanic automaticallyt. All Those need to list in there are hidden resources defined in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt.

Reply to 3)...
    Rebel tribal names are assign to regions via Descr_Regions.txt but all its entry as well as unit pools tie to them are defined in data/Descr_Rebel_Factions.txt. Appearance text in game about rebel defined in data/text/Rebel_Faction_Descr.txt. Rebel factions could be add new ones as well as customized all of them as much as you want.

Reply to 4)
    All mercenaries defined in descr_mercenaries.txt in campaign folder. All units there must assign ownership to all as well as must have mercenary attribute defined in Export_Descr_Units.txt. Made sure that each pools must not have regional overlap as it could appear only one pool in that region.

Another question. Today I tried to facilitate the aquisition of mercenary leaders. I put the Celtic mercenary leader Autaritus with some mercenary barbarian infantry into the region of Byzacena and gave him trait Disloyal 3. Then I tried to bribe him. It still cost me more than 5000 Denari but what was really annoying is the fact that his army completely disbanded. Is there any possibility to keep at least the mercenary troops when you bribe a foreign or slave army?
    I also wanted to create some uprising of Cilician pirates, gladiators or mercenary troops in specific regions (Cilicia, Campania, Africa, Crete, Corcyra, Dalmatia), but this would be much more interesting if you were able to recruit them sometimes. I understand that bribing disbands opponent armies, but why the mercenaries?
    In order to received those units when bribing, briber faction must be assigned as owner to those units in Export_Descr_Units.txt or else they would be disbanded after bribery complete. Safest way to do that is to give that character army with all mercenary type units as units with mercenary attribute in Export_Descr_Unitst.txt as those units usually assign ownership to all in that file.

To created such special uprising above from settlement rebel, you need to assign those units to rebel factions which tie to that region according to Descr_Regions.txt. List of possible rebel spawning stack defined in data/Descr_Rebel_Factions.txt (don't forget to add new text to text/Rebel_Faction_Descr.txt if you add new entry in it). You must made sure that all units in this file must have slave ownership in Export_Descr_Units.txt.

To recruit those units according to regions, it is possible to do by...
    1) Add those units as mercenary in mercenary pool tie to that region, beware that mercenary pools could not overlap, each regions, could have only pool assigning to it in one moment.

or...

2) Use concept of area of recruitment to condition of recruiting it in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt. To do that you must assign hidden resource that link to unit's recruiting condition to region in Descr_Regions.txt. Trade resource also work in this case too but it is using different condition in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt.

I also heard that you could only get 197 land regions and still want to reach 199. I used to have this problem before in current version of Extended Cultures (but I stuck at 198) but now I could made it up to 199 land regions in experimental version of Extended Culture 5. You must made sure that all water tile defining in Map_Regions.tga must use the same exact colour. Any kind of wrong/different colour that not defined in Descr_Regions.txt those cover over water area will made engine considered as another oceanic region. So you must made all those oceanic blue in that file as one exact tri-colour setting to left sea as 1 region.
    Last edited by Suppanut; 01-21-2012 at 09:46. Reason: additional answer included

Hi Zarax,

my question is whether the Mundus Magnus map uses the same code as the vanilla map. When I asked to join other development teams they told me that their mapping systems were different and thus my work would turn out useless for them. But from what I can see your system seems to be the same.
    Yes, a direct map porting wouldn't work, however Suppanut is our mapper and can adapt sections where needed, integrating research from both sides.

You might try to implement parts of my map. You could start with just a part. Let's say Britain and Ireland which are improved quite a lot. You could copy the respective parts of my map into yours and see if it works. First you should copy the ground types and the heights map and see if it runs. Then you add the features map with the rivers and the white cliffs of Dover and check again. Maybe you'll get a few problems, because your cities, units or resources end up on rivers or sea. So you'll have to correct that, but for a minor area like Britain it won't be much work. Finally you put the cities and harbors in place (where necessary) and decide if you want to keep your regions or adapt to mine. In some cases it will be necessary to adapt the regional borders to the new coastlines, but that's no huge work. In my map I have also followed rivers and mountain divides for internal borders.
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    If you provide me an e-mail I can send you my files, so you can try if it works.

Are you using custom battlefields with map cohordinates or is it a result of map modding?
    What we do in some cases is to make a custom battlefield and port it straight in the map at defined locations, it's labour intensive but in some locations you have much more tactically challenging maps.

As for contacts, you can mail me at zarax999@hotmail.com or PM Suppanut directly, we both use MSN for cohordination.
    The best is yet to come.

Hello Suppanut,

thanks for adressing my previous questions. Some problems have been resolved in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppanut View Post
    Answers to some of your earlier problems.
    Reply to 2)...
    All resouces those appear on map which placing in campaign from Descr_Strat.txt don't need to assign in Descr_Regions.txt as engine will organized its existance in regional mechanic automaticallyt. All Those need to list in there are hidden resources defined in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt.
    Yes, I already realized this.

Reply to 3)...
    Rebel tribal names are assign to regions via Descr_Regions.txt but all its entry as well as unit pools tie to them are defined in data/Descr_Rebel_Factions.txt. Appearance text in game about rebel defined in data/text/Rebel_Faction_Descr.txt. Rebel factions could be add new ones as well as customized all of them as much as you want.
    Got that too. In the meantime I have completely reworked the rebels in the entire map. I'd like to add more specific units though.

Reply to 4)
    All mercenaries defined in descr_mercenaries.txt in campaign folder. All units there must assign ownership to all as well as must have mercenary attribute defined in Export_Descr_Units.txt. Made sure that each pools must not have regional overlap as it could appear only one pool in that region.
    I did that too. Would like to have more specific mercenary units.

In order to received those units when bribing, briber faction must be assigned as owner to those units in Export_Descr_Units.txt or else they would be disbanded after bribery complete. Safest way to do that is to give that character army with all mercenary type units as units with mercenary attribute in Export_Descr_Unitst.txt as those units usually assign ownership to all in that file.
    Thanks, this seems useful. For the moment I have decided not to enter the units question. Since there are many good modders out there, I'll leave this work to someone else. But I'll keep this in mind.

To create such special uprising above from settlement rebel, you need to assign those units to rebel factions which tie to that region according to Descr_Regions.txt. List of possible rebel spawning stack defined in data/Descr_Rebel_Factions.txt (don't forget to add new text to text/Rebel_Faction_Descr.txt if you add new entry in it). You must made sure that all units in this file must have slave ownership in Export_Descr_Units.txt.

To recruit those units according to regions, it is possible to do by...
    1) Add those units as mercenary in mercenary pool tie to that region, beware that mercenary pools could not overlap, each regions, could have only pool assigning to it in one moment.

or...

2) Use concept of area of recruitment to condition of recruiting it in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt. To do that you must assign hidden resource that link to unit's recruiting condition to region in Descr_Regions.txt. Trade resource also work in this case too but it is using different condition in Export_Descr_Buildings.txt.
    This is very helpful. We have already decided to use the recruitment area concept. Again this is a future project. And since I've been doing different things for a while, I'd have to study to get it all in mind.

I also heard that you could only get 197 land regions and still want to reach 199. I used to have this problem before in current version of Extended Cultures (but I stuck at 198) but now I could made it up to 199 land regions in experimental version of Extended Culture 5. You must made sure that all water tile defining in Map_Regions.tga must use the same exact colour. Any kind of wrong/different colour that not defined in Descr_Regions.txt those cover over water area will made engine considered as another oceanic region. So you must made all those oceanic blue in that file as one exact tri-colour setting to left sea as 1 region.
    I resolved this too after I realized that there were two slightly different colors in the Caspian Sea and the Red Sea. Now I have gone to 199.

By the way I like your extension to the south. How many additional regions have you got down there? I have made some research and come to the conclusion that you need between four and six additional regions. For the moment I wouldn't know where to cut regions in my map.

Today I have done some improvements in my map, adding three more land-bridges. I'll mail you later with some support for your research.

Dear Philadelphos

Sorry for not introduced myself earlier, I am one of members of Extended Culture mod's team and the one that is working on its traits, its map, as well as its strat map's strat map trade resources' system and locations. Like my colleague, Zarax, I'm also glad that you offer your great work to us to addition to our mod.

I have some question about method you are using for implemented battlefield in mod, you are using custom tile setting in campaign or you using strategy map's generating mechanism by engine to create detail you are giving to site as Aleria and Elba island?

I also want some help from historian like you as well. Although my work on strategy map and its economy is something that our mod quite proud about but I'm not yet satisfied about my creation as I'm ameteur historian at best, so many details about regional border, settlements' location/name/significantness, and trade resources' historical locations still have many detail that need to corrected in term of significant of resources and better precise of location of resouce. And as our mod are planned to have some change in map and campaigns to support additional factions the will replacing some current ones, so I want to ask you for your knowledge and opinion as historian about geography, geo-politic, and geo-economy of ancient world to improve future installment of our map in Extended Culture 5 (current one is Extended Culture 4) in the future.

I usually active in Extended Culture's forum in TWCenter but rarely post outside developer's section of that forum. For the way to contact, I will send to you by private message.

Hi Suppanut,

thanks for your kind invitation. I'd be glad to contribute to your project and have my map integrated with yours.
    As regards the battlefields I use indeed the strategy map generator which doesn't work so bad. But what you and Zarax say about custom battlefields sounds interesting.
    I'll mail you some of my files that may support your research.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; 01-22-2012 at 15:03.

Post Re: Rome Total History: New fantastic campaign map!!!!

By the way I like your extension to the south. How many additional regions have you got down there? I have made some research and come to the conclusion that you need between four and six additional regions. For the moment I wouldn't know where to cut regions in my map.

Today I have done some improvements in my map, adding three more land-bridges. I'll mail you later with some support for your research.
    Thank you for your kindness as well, Philadelphos.

As I stated earlier, Mundus Magnus was created by ngr, a Russian modder, according to reference made in his file, since early day of RTW modding and have been adopted widely across many mods which they modified to suited their own, including EB, and all XGM-derivatives (including ours, XC). Since ngr had quit modding long ago after he complete Mundus Magnus v2, Mundus Magnus has became free map for other modder to pick up and developed to their own which you could find it here. like Mundus Magnus v3 which adapt to RTW 1.5/1.6 and Mundus Magnus v4 by other modders. As long as you based your adaptation from Mundus Magnus v2, it is fine to do it with some recognition.

And about regions in deep south, Area in Africa in original Magnus Mundus v2 seem based from Herodotus and Pliny's work.

Name:	map_regions_MM.jpg 
Views:	1450 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	3472

List of additional regions in the South from West to East and North to South (base on settlement sites)
    1) Gaetulia (Dimmidi) Rebel: Gaetuli
    2) Cydamae (Cydaus) Rebel: Garamantes
    3) Hoggar (Rapsa) Rebel: Garamantes
    4) Phasania (Garama) Rebel Garamantes
    5) Tribus Tibu (Campus Tibu) Rebel: Tibu
    6) Augila (Augila) Rebel: Nasamones
    7) Tribus Noba (Campus Noba) Rebel: Nubian
    8) Libya (Ammonium) Rebel: Libyan
    9) Oasis Magna (Hibis) Rebel: Egyptian
    10) Middle_Egypt (Memphis) Rebel: Egyptian
    11) Thebais (Thebes) Rebel: Egyptian
    12) Nubia (Pselchis) Rebel: Nubian
    13) Kush (Meroe) Rebel: Meroits
    14) Locus Blemmye (Campus Blemmye) Rebel: Blemmye
    14) Ethiopia (Axum) Rebel: Ethiopians

Arabia regions are....
    1) Sinai (Petra) Rebel: Nabataean
    2) Nabataea (Bostra) Rebel: Nabataean
    3) Main (Carna) Rebel: Minaei
    4) Saba (Mariba) Rebel: Sabaeai
    5) Arabia (Gorda) Rebel: Arabs
    6) Locus Gerraei (Gerra) Rebel: Gerraei
    7) Qataban (Tamna) Rebel: Cattabanei
    8) Hadramaut (Sabata) Rebel: Chatramotitae
    9) Maketa (Omana) Rebel: Omani
    10) Ubar (Zufar) Rebel: Omani

And here in Extended Cultures, we give a lot of area in Africa and Central Desert of Arabia to uncapturable region named Deserta (pink colour).

Name:	Arabian Connected map_regions.jpg 
Views:	1730 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	3471

List of regions in the South from West to East and North to South (base on settlement sites)
    1) Gaetulia (Cydaus) Rebel: Gaetuli (Cydaus have been chosen although it is historically in area of Geramantes for gameplay reason as I could not find any know named settlement in that area in that period and Cydaus is supposed to be more important than the rest of oasis within this region, perhap you could find better one)
    2) Phasania (Garama) Rebel: Garamantes
    3) Libya (Ammonium) Rebel: Libyan
    4) Heptanomis (Memphis) Rebel: Egyptian
    5) Thebais (Thebes) Rebel: Egyptian
    6) Nubia (Pselchis) Rebel: Nubian
    7) Kush (Meroe) Rebel: Meroits
    8) Eretheaea (Ptolemais Theron) Rebel: Blemmye
    9) Ethiopia (Axum) Rebel: Ethiopians
    10) Punt (Avalites) Rebel: Ethiopians

Arabia regions of Extended Culture are different from Magnus Mundus due to we implemented tradebridge acrossing the desert based on trade route in Arabia....
    1) Arabia Petraeas (Petra) Rebel: Nabataean
    2) Nabataea (Tayma) Rebel: Sinites
    5) Gerrhaia (Gerrha) Rebel: Gerraei
    6) Qataban (Tamna) Rebel: Cattabanei
    7) Hadramaut (Sabata) Rebel: Chatramotitae
    8) Maketa (Omana) Rebel: Omani
    9) Ubar (Zufar) Rebel: Omani

Oh, from what I see from your serveral screenshots, I fear that locations you placing many of settlements are risking of causing ctd from moving acrossing bug tiles. It has risk of ctd causing by expelling spy or characters out of settlements as there are some chance to expel those character into sea or mountain tile if all availble movable tiles had been occupied and movement of all those charecters over water or mountain will cause ctd. So I suggest you to compromised some settlement's locations by move it at least one tile away from water especially, those which have a lot of traffic (as it seem attracted spies).
    Last edited by Suppanut; 01-22-2012 at 17:13.

Thank you for your kindness as well, Philadelphos.

As I stated earlier, Mundus Magnus was created by ngr, a Russian modder, according to reference made in his file, since early day of RTW modding and have been adopted widely across many mods which they modified to suited their own, including EB, and all XGM-derivatives (including ours, XC). Since ngr had quit modding long ago after he complete Mundus Magnus v2, Mundus Magnus has became free map for other modder to pick up and developed to their own which you could find it here. like Mundus Magnus v3 which adapt to RTW 1.5/1.6 and Mundus Magnus v4 by other modders. As long as you based your adaptation from Mundus Magnus v2, it is fine to do it with some recognition.

And about regions in deep south, Area in Africa in original Magnus Mundus v2 seem based from Herodotus and Pliny's work.

List of additional regions in the South from West to East and North to South (base on settlement sites)
    1) Gaetulia (Dimmidi) Rebel: Gaetuli
    2) Cydamae (Cydaus) Rebel: Garamantes
    3) Hoggar (Rapsa) Rebel: Garamantes
    4) Phasania (Garama) Rebel Garamantes
    5) Tribus Tibu (Campus Tibu) Rebel: Tibu
    6) Augila (Augila) Rebel: Nasamones
    7) Tribus Noba (Campus Noba) Rebel: Nubian
    8) Libya (Ammonium) Rebel: Libyan
    9) Oasis Magna (Hibis) Rebel: Egyptian
    10) Middle_Egypt (Memphis) Rebel: Egyptian
    11) Thebais (Thebes) Rebel: Egyptian
    12) Nubia (Pselchis) Rebel: Nubian
    13) Kush (Meroe) Rebel: Meroits
    14) Locus Blemmye (Campus Blemmye) Rebel: Blemmye
    14) Ethiopia (Axum) Rebel: Ethiopians

Arabia regions are....
    1) Sinai (Petra) Rebel: Nabataean
    2) Nabataea (Bostra) Rebel: Nabataean
    5) Arabia (Gorda) Rebel: Arabs
    6) Locus Gerraei (Gerra) Rebel: Gerraei
    7) Qataban (Tamna) Rebel: Cattabanei
    8) Hadramaut (Sabata) Rebel: Chatramotitae
    9) Maketa (Omana) Rebel: Omani
    10) Ubar (Zufar) Rebel: Omani

And here in Extended Cultures, we give a lot of area in Africa and Central Desert of Arabia to uncapturable region named Deserta (pink colour).

List of regions in the South from West to East and North to South (base on settlement sites)
    1) Gaetulia (Cydaus) Rebel: Gaetuli (Cydaus have been chosen although it is historically in area of Geramantes for gameplay reason as I could not find any know named settlement in that area in that period and Cydaus is supposed to be more important than the rest of oasis within this region, perhap you could find better one)
    2) Phasania (Garama) Rebel: Garamantes
    3) Libya (Ammonium) Rebel: Libyan
    4) Heptanomis (Memphis) Rebel: Egyptian
    5) Thebais (Thebes) Rebel: Egyptian
    6) Nubia (Pselchis) Rebel: Nubian
    7) Kush (Meroe) Rebel: Meroits
    8) Eretheaea (Ptolemais Theron) Rebel: Blemmye
    9) Ethiopia (Axum) Rebel: Ethiopians
    10) Punt (Avalites) Rebel: Ethiopians

Arabia regions of Extended Culture are different from Magnus Mundus due to we implemented tradebridge acrossing the desert based on trade route in Arabia....
    1) Arabia Petraeas (Petra) Rebel: Nabataean
    2) Nabataea (Tayma) Rebel: Sinites
    5) Gerrhaia (Gerrha) Rebel: Gerraei
    6) Qataban (Tamna) Rebel: Cattabanei
    7) Hadramaut (Sabata) Rebel: Chatramotitae
    8) Maketa (Omana) Rebel: Omani
    9) Ubar (Zufar) Rebel: Omani

Oh, from what I see from your serveral screenshots, I fear that locations you placing many of settlements are risking of causing ctd from moving acrossing bug tiles. It has risk of ctd causing by expelling spy or characters out of settlements as there are some chance to expel those character into sea or mountain tile if all availble movable tiles had been occupied and movement of all those charecters over water or mountain will cause ctd. So I suggest you to compromised some settlement's locations by move it at least one tile away from water especially, those which have a lot of traffic (as it seem attracted spies).
    I have never encountered any problem of this kind, but maybe because I didn't play as long that it could happen. I'll check my cities, but I think that I won't be very glad to renounce places like Corcyra, Naxos or Mytilene. Malta is not necessary, but the others were quite important. Probably the problem occurs only with spies. Usually they won't even arrive in isolated places like Malta, but cities like Byzantium or Sinope might actually be at risk. I'll go over it to minimize this.

So you got much less cities in the center, which allows to have all those southern regions. The first list seems excessive to me, but yours is fine. Maybe Eretheaea could be left out. In Arabia I don't know anything about Main, but the rest is okay. You left Himyar off, probably because they came later? If you need more regions, some might be united such as Maketa and Ubar or Saba and Qataban.

In Gaetulia I found a place called Tucrumuda. I think it's from the Ptolemaic maps. Sounds good and you can use that name. I''l send you my regions file, so you can see where I placed it. It's a bit east of Dimmidi.

I greatly appreciate this work! And also my gratitude to Zarax and gang for support.

I tried to do research on family names,but found problems with the hc limit for family tree,so how to overcome if there are 9 children?

If you use the BI exe you could get the emergent factions to help with faction slots. As I was using ALEX.exe I did not discover a way to use this?

Are there any news about status of your mod?

What is the status mod?
    Is perhaps a beta version?

Im a little late, but is there any new info on this mod?

I believe he has finished it, but he has not been active for awhile. I have been trying to reach him. Once I get in contact I will ask him if he wants to release.

It took some time, but finally I'm proud to present Rome Total History 1.1.

This is the download link:

http://dfiles.eu/files/uz8g6i98n

Have fun and if you enjoyed it spread the word.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; 07-27-2013 at 01:19.

Member thankful for this post:

THIS IS A MUST DOWNLOAD. Especially for map fans :)

Here you get a nice custom battle at the Acrocorinth that will be included in the next installment RTH 1.2.

Name:	Aratus1.JPG 
Views:	1574 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	10660

Above is the citadel of Acrocorinth, one of the Macedonian fetters of Hellas.

Name:	Aratus2.JPG 
Views:	1092 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	10661

400 Achaeans approaching under Aratus of Sicyon. The hardest thing is to get the ladders up that slope.

Name:	Aratus3.JPG 
Views:	1233 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	10662

The ladders are in place and the men are ready for the assault.

Name:	Aratus4.JPG 
Views:	1285 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	10663

Aratus takes a look at the Gulf of Corinth. To the left is his hometown Sicyon where the expedition started.

Name:	Aratus5.JPG 
Views:	1185 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	10664

Fighting in the moonlight on the walls of the citadel. The Macedonian commander Persaios is rubbing his eyes. Maybe he had a few drinks too many in the evening.

Name:	Aratus6.JPG 
Views:	1609 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	10665

Inside the citadel. Outside the reinforcements from Corinth are rushing up the hill, but they will come too late. In a few minutes Hellas will be free from the Macedonian fetters. In the background you can see the island of Aegina while the sun will soon be rising over the Laurion mountains in Attica.

It looks fascinating, I am downloading it now.

Lots of new features in version 1.2.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast