Thread: Alternative Clan Colours

Default Alternative Clan Colours

A samurai wearing a horo - reproduction from a woodblock print by Utagawa Kuniyoshi

ALTERNATIVE CLAN COLOURS

introducing new colours for the uniforms and banners in TWS2

all factions in the game including many special units covered

Edit 8 September 2017: Due to months of technical problems with my account at TWC, which makes me unable to interact with that site, I've decided to transfer my mod services to the Org* (see below). So you can now find my latest version of ACC, 59i, here:

Edit 6 August 2020: Download option removed pending important TWC decision about mods and permissions. The decision might have permanent consequences here.

Text from the original OP below:

"Greetings fellow TW gamers,

I've been hooked on TW games ever since the original Shogun, and began to use the fantastic TW modifications with RTW, and make my own small mod contributions with ETW. Not that long ago I started working on my first visual mod for a TW game. I thought I should make it available at the Org as well at TWC.

As you may know already, there are 59 different factions in this game. Only a handful were shipped in colours that looked good to me. So I took it upon myself to recolour the lot. With the first and so far only release in the Org, I offered new uniforms for 45 of these factions and new banners to many of them in two separate files. This has now been updated to include all 59 factions plus many special units, not the least those of the latest Hero & Saints DLC. Many factions have also been given an optional uniform theme. All in all, over 200 new uniforms are now available for the player.

I've tried to find some historical sources for my changes and then tune the colour themes for "greater realism". The ashigarus of the Oda clan, for instance, were known to be dressed in distinctive "lemon yellow colour with black armour", but a variety in trouser pattern, lacings, socks etc. So I worked to find a shade of lemon yellow clothing for this clan that looked realistic and good to me. The work on the banners includes, among other things, tuning downing overly bright flags or bringing some detail to "black hole" banners. I should mention that the uniforms and banners are made to look good as a whole, so if you only use one of these mods chances are it would look rather strange.

Now, you'll find most details including pics about my mod in this thread.

I will only give a few visual examples of the latest version here:

Otomo donderbuss cavalry in battle (pic courtesy of le_fred)

A yari hero running for the Chosokabe

Uesugi ashigari fighting Takeda cavalry

Onna bushi warriors in the service of the Takeda clan

Imagawa Yashimoto in action

CREDITS:
    Creative Assembly - of course for the making of this wonderful game and leaving some possibilities to mod it to even greater heights!
    Lord Maximus - for his work producing the Pack File Manager without which this mod would not have been possible.
    Agostinos, sajaxom, and Zane - for their tutorials or information about how to hex edit the colours of the units which greatly facilitated my making of this mod.
    erasmus777 - for reminding me how to pack a file.
    D. Danborg a.k.a. TomteOfDoom - for the creation of my greatest source of inspiration for this mod.
    matmohair1 - for providing me with a wealth of great concept material for this mod. In several cases, it has altered the course which this mod has taken.
    The Hedge Knight - for his mod enabling all factions to be played in custom battles, without which modding minor clans would have been too much trouble to consider.
    Ftmch - for his Less Glossy Units Mod 3.0 with which all pics of the recoloured units shown here have been taken (so if you think they look nice, like I do, this is partly his "fault").
    Kurisu Paifuaa - for the crucial tip that enabled me to start modding the banners properly.

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,
    D"

Most of the above info still stands. But many changes have been made to the mod since then. The main thing has been to take the another step towards covering all clans in traditional Japanese colours. Sometimes the difference is subtle. Like the shift of nuances in the Imagawa outfit, which is now displayed in koge-cha, kuro-tsurubami and kourai-nando:

An Imagawa officer leading his men

Just install the files found with the new links and you'll see. :)

There are plans to make ALL banners and icons conform to the ACC standard. One example of how that may turn out is the campaign map and large battle flags for the Uesugi:

Textures created by Herr Doctor with design and colour directions from me

Dito

*Shortly after this editing, my troubles at TWC suddenly vanished. Still don't have a clue about what happened.
    Last edited by Demokritos; 08-06-2020 at 22:49. Reason: Withholding mods pending TWC decision
    GNOTHI SEAUTON - Know Thyself: precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece.
    MEDEN AGAN - Nothing In Excess: another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours

Sounds interesting, Demokritos.

Is it compatible with vanilla games for Multi Player?
    Or would both players (all teammembers) have to have the mod in order to be able to play the game?

I haven't played MP yet so I don't know about that, Nigel. I haven't even played much in the way of single player campaigns because I felt I need to fix those faction colours first. I suggest you test the mod in MP to see how it works in both possible setups. If something goes wrong you should be able to just abort the session and uninstall the mod. If you give it a try, please give a report about the result.
    Last edited by Demokritos; 08-09-2011 at 21:10.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON - Know Thyself: precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece.
    MEDEN AGAN - Nothing In Excess: another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place.

OK, a month has passed since I made the visual services of ACC available on this site and it's attracted very little interest. I had planned to update and expand it here as the project was developping, but I see little point in that now. So be warned, this thread will no longer be monitored frequently.

I'm having some trouble over at TWC*. So I've updated the OP here.

*The problem was finally solved somehow. But I'll keep the mod updated here.
    Last edited by Demokritos; 09-16-2017 at 11:02.