Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game of thrones mod

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Default Re: v1.2 Patch Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    Great work team! Keep it up Macsen, you deserve your own engine even. :D
    100% agree & good to see you back Yan
    cheers
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 02-02-2018 at 01:14.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: v1.2 Patch Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    Great work team! Keep it up Macsen, you deserve your own engine even. :D
    If we're talking new engines, I want flying units
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Default Working on v1.3

Yep, I'm still working away at this...

I was playing a Dragonstone campaign, and a few things niggled at me, so the faction has had a bit of a makeover to bring more stuff in from the story. Now if you want to progress you'll find it necessary to take that loan from the Iron Bank (I really didn't think it would work, but it did, and I've neutered the potential exploit it might have created...) and there are some new units for this faction only.

New ships: Lysene sellsails - long range, fast, won't show up til you've taken that loan
    New cav unit: Queen's Men (can dismount...), need a Red Temple and the loan. Very tough fanatics in small units, and tend to spread R'hllorism around the map.

It all makes the faction a little more unique, and you need to keep your wits about you whilst developing, or you could be in trouble

I'm also squeezing in a couple of fixes for oddities that I don't like, but once it's all squared up, I'll announce the release.

Discussion forum thread

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: Working on v1.3

that is awesome news macsen !

After my hard drive containing the one-and-only existing copy of v1.3 had a very scary near-death experience, I thought I'd better release the patch... so here it is just in time for the Xmas hols....

Enjoy
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 12-21-2018 at 15:30.

Discussion forum thread

Members thankful for this post (3):

Hello and thank you so much for your continued efforts to keep the legacy of MTW through your mods. Download and liked, especially the new map. One note: the Northern armoured pikemen running/charging animation is wrong. It's easily remediable I'm sure. Enjoy the Holidays, dear!

Member thankful for this post:

Thanks, Leith, I'll take a look at those pikemen ...

EDIT TO ADD: I have tried them out in a custom battle and all looks as should be. What problems were you seeing? Any chance of a screenie?

LATEST:
    I've made and am currently uploading a FULL v1.3 install, so anyone late to the party who hasn't got the v1.0 with v1.2 upgrade can go right in to v1.3 with a single package. As a bonus it comes with a new desktop icon
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 12-24-2018 at 07:36.

Discussion forum thread

Good work macsen

Default v1.3 FULL INSTALL released

Get it here

This is a one-shot install to bring new users right up to date. Simply install into a clean copy of MTW VI with 2.01 upgrade

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: v1.3 FULL INSTALL released

Hello again. I reinstalled everything and there have been no problems. The graphical glitch could have been caused by another mod. The faction flags look amazing. Thank you again and merry Christmas

Quick update: now I've got a working* machine again, I'm back in development and working on v1.4 of this mod...

Currently enjoying a Martell campaign, and can report the AI has got to grips with Dragonstone quite well, and has taken a lot of territory and still has enough inome to cover the loan. I'm waiting to see if they manage to sort out the final loan settlement. Doesn't seem to like training Queen's Men yet.

Points noted for v1.4, so far:
    • Spitfires to be improved (that wildfire just needs to be more dangerous, all round....)
    • Title to be added for 'Grand Captain of the Warrior's Sons'
    • Driftmark castle to be renamed to High Tide
    • Will add 'Tobho Mott's Armoury' and 'Chataya's Brothel' to King's Landing, just to make it even harder to decide what to train there
    • Will probably increase training times for knights and foot knights across the factions Nah, changed my mind
    • Unique name list for Vale clansmen rebel faction
    • There's a couple of things for the North/House Stark which I've got scribbled down on a bit of paper I've since lost
    • Some ideas to make the mercenary pool a bit more interesting
    • Rebels to get an overhaul, new units and buildings

* 'working' means 'can run MTW'
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 07-12-2020 at 20:47. Reason: afterthought

Discussion forum thread

UPDATE on development of v1.4

Most of the above stuff is done and working, plus 'Street of Steel' in King's Landing (I had tried to put armour and weapon upgrades on to Tobho Mott, but the engine can only handle one per building). So Tobho gives +1w, and SoS gives +3a. Taking control of King's Landing just got a whole lot harder.... not to mention the juiced up rebels...

The new 'rebel only' trainable units are:
    • Robber Knights - well, knights, just not true knights
    • Broken Men - armoured swordsmen
    • Poachers - stealthy archers
    • Deserters -fled from the Wall, armed with longbows, good attackers, high morale ('cause they don't want to get caught)

as well as the previously existing Wildling Raiders (mad axe men), Vale Clan Cavalry (low grade cavalry) and Bandits (weakish spears).

Tech tree has been fiddled with again, including the castles. Castle1 and castle2 are now rebel only, and each gives access to some of the rebel units - these have become 'Rebel Hideout' and 'Rebel Stronghold'. Rebels cannot build castle3 upwards (but can capture them). Rebels cannot build regular military buildings or recruit regular units (though regular units do appear in rebellions - and pretty tough ones, too. Instead of the previous mix of archers and levy spearmen, I'm seeing more longbows, armoured longbows, pikemen, sworn billmen and men at arms).

Low support costs mean the rebels can build up, so will become more of a threat with time. They can also build longboats, but I haven't got far enough into my camapign for them to show up yet...

The main factions start their castle building at level 3 (Fort). If they capture a rebel stronghold, or reduce a fort to a stronghold, the rebels may well display some displeasure....

Ironborn get bit of a leg-up at the beginning now, and have become more troublesome in my current test run (as Starks). I'm going to have to invade the Gift soon, to see how those new rebel units fight, though as they seem to be building towards ships maybe I should just watch for a while longer).

So the important bits are working, just some prettifying left to do, and extras for the mercenary pool.

Discussion forum thread

Great progress! Thanks for sharing.

OK, so I'm having some 'issues' with the new castle set-up. It's mostly working but it has bowled be a googly* or two recently, so I can't be sure it will all make the final cut**. Oh, dear, I'm so English, sorry.... Anyway, there seems to be a CTD risk with provinces that have cycled between 'Baratheons of Dragonstone' and 'rebels'. There is a workaround, though it takes four game years to kick in. It has only happened in a single province in my current Stark campaign, but given that there are some other oddities, I might need to change the castle faction options. I don't like 'workarounds', I want this mod to work 'out of the box'! So far, this seems the safest - I would make the first two levels available to all factions, but make it so that any FACTION which builds level 1 or level 2 (instead of level 3, which is available with no pre-reqs) will be severely punished. So far this seems the best option, but further playing testing awaits.

Free gift follows:

I really, REALLY, didn't like the original shields I gave to the Knights of the White Knife, so they now bear the arms of House Manderly. I also gave the spearmen of House Greyjoy an extra dollop of soup. Here they are together:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_shields.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	23884

* readers fom non-cricketing nations may need to googly google this term to see where I'm coming from....
    ** Pink Floyd reference for anyone old enough.... if you got that one, what's my favourite girl's name? 10 bonus points for the winner

Finally, because the ramifications of the new changes may be gamebreaking, who's up for beta-testing???
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 07-20-2020 at 01:03. Reason: places in Google I really don't want to open up....

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: Game of thrones mod

Oh, yeah... those rebels? You really want to avoid a civil war... any province they take will lose its military buildings. They will keep siege engineers, weaponsmiths and armourers, and also the Royal Court, so by the time you take it back, there will be a lot of repairs to do...

Not to mention that all the buildings they raze will add to their coffers. In my current campaign, the rebels have a larger treasury than any faction (including mine, and I know how to make money in this mod...) You really, really need to keep the King's Peace

Discussion forum thread

OK, so it looks like the castle reforms need a little rethink - I'm hoping that it will all be fixed by making the bottom two levels all faction rather than rebel only. As all factions will begin with level three at least the first two won't appear as options, but once provinces start getting trashed, then that may occur. I will make that a really punishing option and hope the AI will understand.... I mean, what Lord in his right mind will build a Rebel Hideout or Stronghold when he can have a better fort?

For those interested in what's going on under the hood, so to speak, the problem arises when castles/provinces pass between cultures, and results in two castles being present simultaneously, or sometimes a single castle not showing on the map, only the review panel. Trying to destroy one or more duplicate castles causes CTDs, and I think it's down to ownership issues...

I've also found out quite by accident that units which are 'visual clones' in the Facshield folders will get the faction shield... eg I made the unit 'Broken Men' for rebels, gave them the same shield as the 'Northern Sword Swords' and both come from the ChainHLM folder. In battle, as rebels, they show up with the expected blank shield, but when I bribed some and fought with them, they showed up sporting my House colours! I'm sure there must be more uses for this, so will have a play to see what I can get away with....

Discussion forum thread

Latest on those castle reforms: I've tried a different route into this, and I'm currently trying out another tech tree:

Castle 1 is back to being the fort, available to all
    Castle 2 and Castle 3 have now become the Rebel Hideout and Rebel Stronghold - only possible for rebels (FN_00)
    Castle 4 (Keep) and upwards are NOT available to rebels (factions can jump to this from Castle 1 level)

It's the most stable so far, but does still throw up the occasional oddity: if a FACTION captures a province with castle 2 or castle 3 there's a chance that the review panel doesn't display the castle in the province's buildings. This can be reset instantly by doing a ctrl-S, ctrl-L (ie quick save and reload). This will make the castle visible again in the review panel. At least it doesn't CTD if it gets too confused any more, but it's still not ideal. The main fallout being that if you try to storm a castle which doesn't show in the review panel, then you will be presented with the default battlemap - that's the basic lumpy field with NO CASTLE. So bit of an exploit there, then... Me no likey...

Next option is to go sideways, of course, and create the Rebel Hideout and Rebel Stronghold as a separate building line, but that removes the wonderful effects that occur if they stay in the castle line-up, namely nasty provinces hard to quell unless you know how to deal with it....

I probably should get some screenies up, because all this might be hard to follow.

So, castle reforms aside, there are some other tweaks.

• I still keep on finding new names from the canonical sources that I haven't yet included, so they are going in
    • Now the Ironborn have their own spearmen, they no longer get Northern Spearmen (that bugged me for a while) but no longer need them
    • Those IB spearmen now have new icons and infopics, and they are also the only spears that can get a +1v upgrade
    • Some building dependencies have been tweaked (blacksmith>>armourer, master blacksmith>>weaponsmith)
    • IB mounted raiders now need more tech
    • Still haven't found those notes I made on changes for House Stark

I also discovered that even if you wipe out all the rebels, their treasury remains intact, so once they come back, they have as much money as they had when you destroyed them.

Discussion forum thread

Currently running through a Dragonstone campaign to test out the latest changes. I've pinned down more info on the castles disappearing from the building review panel. This seems to happen when provinces change hands between a faction and the rebels. A quicksave & reload will fix it instantly, and of course if you finish your session and continue your campaign the next day, it will also resolve itself. Overall, it's an inconvenience, but free of CTDs.

Now I must go, there's a shedload of Tyrells in Bitterbridge arranging themselves very nicely across the river, in front of my spitfires....

Discussion forum thread

I'm nearly ready with v1.4, I've ticked off all the things I had on my 'to do' list, and am going through a list of names from the books which may not be in the mod yet.

As I promised upthread, I was planning on a little something extra for the mercenary pool*, and here it is:

Name:	unsullied.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	23914

*ie not trainable, you will have to keep your eyes open and snap them up if you see them in the mercenary panel. If you can afford them.

And there's another new cavalry unit on the way, which I may make untrainable, but include it in the starting army for one of the factions, as that would be true to the books.... (spoiler alert: they got wiped out...) but I might just be tempted to make them available in just one province (as a compromise between gameplay and canon).
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-06-2020 at 00:08.

Discussion forum thread

Default Meet the new guys...

v1.4 is getting close to release.... I'm running a test campaign now to ensure it's still working. Next job is to compile the install, and assuming that goes ok, I'll let this thing out in to the wild for you all to play with. I'm still having trouble with the disappearing castles as above, but the 'fix' will nerf things more than the 'workaround'.

Anyway, this post is about introducing the new guys to the roster for House Stark, which is directly inspired by my latest re-read of the books, so here they are:

Name:	more_new_northmen.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	23919

As you can see, they are the Wild Hares (recruitable in Torrhen's Square only, with a starting unit led by Benfred Tallhart), Northern Axemen (available in Bear Island, Wolfswood, Last Hearth and Dreadfort) and Dreadfort Cavalry (guess what? From the Dreadfort only... inspired by the passage in A Clash of Kings, when Reek/Ramsay returns with the Dreadfort cavalry).

I'm glad to say the Unsullied are showing up in the mercenary pool, as planned, and they have managed to save the day in at least one battle in my campaign so far.

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: Meet the new guys...

I'm still getting CTDs with this new castle system, looks like I might need to go sideways after all. It loses some in gameplay terms, but CTDs are getting more of a problem in my Stark test.... and I don't want instability. I could put the fix in the readme, but no-one reads readmes....

Discussion forum thread

I've had to go sideways after all. Splitting the castle chain may work if it was purely for factions, but with the rebels being the divergent ones, it throws up too many errors. I felt like it was close, but it won't travel the final mile...

So instead, the rebel hideout & stronghold are a separate line for FN_00 only, and the main military buildings are not available to them. It still means that losing provinces to rebels will trash the infrastructure, but I can't force the additional rebelliousness the castle system had. But the rebels will continue to be a growing threat so long as you leave them alone.

I've also been adding in a bit more 'colour' to reinforce the AGoT theme. The plagues that crop up are now appropriate for Westeros... I had just one too many outbreaks of 'English sweats' and it was getting on my nerves, so out came the editing pencil again

After giving the Northmen a few new units, I'm now wondering if I need a bit more variety for the Southrons, too. Most of the factions down south are pretty similar (obvious exceptions being Dorne and Dragonstone) with only the knights tending to be different. Even the dismounted knights tend to all be regular foot knights (except the Vale Foot Knights).

Some thoughts on those lines:
    • Give Baratheons of SE a warhammer unit (no, not space marines... )
    • Separate Reach Spearmen (books and show both seem to emphasise Tyrell spearmen)
    • More different foot knights
    • House Tully maybe needs something unique, too, as they are the most generic of all the Southron factions
    • Maybe limit more units geographically

I know Dorne has the most limited choice, but that's deliberate and part of the charm of that faction.

Open for suggestions for anything in the canon I might have missed.

Edit to add: after a couple of campaigns, I can report the Unsullied do show up in the mercenary pool, and I managed to recruit about 4 or 5 units in the time it took to conquer Westeros. Useful, but not operpowering.
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 09-09-2020 at 22:48.

Discussion forum thread

Today's update:

I've now limited castle availabilty for the rebels by adding a new building line, ie stonemasons (which was built into vanilla VI but not implemented for some reason...) so mason level 1 unlocks keep+, level2 unlocks castle+, and level 3 unlocks citadel. Rebels can't have masons, so they can not upgrade any higher castle they may capture and can't take a fort up to keep level. Working nicely so far - no more missing castles in the reviewpanel when provinces change hands

I've also turned down the farming a bit, as money was getting too easy, so basic farms now give 2x unimproved land instead of 3x. Build times and costs adjusted too. The lower farms are quicker to build, but the +60% now takes 10 years. This should sort of balance out the extra time needed to build the masons.

On the knightly dismounts, I've decided to make westerland knights dismount as Lannister Guards - seems appropriate, and adds variety. I'll probably have a 'new units' session over the weekend for some of the other ones.

And would you believe it, since I changed the plague texts, I've not had a single outbreak, so I still don't know if it's worked or not.

And finally, I had to laugh when the annual VnV scroll came round and read:
    Sandor Clegane .... Approachable Manner
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 09-11-2020 at 01:39.

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post

And finally, I had to laugh when the annual VnV scroll came round and read:

hehe .... approachable once ....

The latest additions are Reach Spearmen, Stormland Knights and Stormland Foot Knights, and here they are in action:

Name:	thorns_and_hammers.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	23936

It's the footknights which have the warhammers.

I'm thinking of making the Stormland knights the Royals for BARSE, but still leave Southron knights for them as well. House Tyrell will lose their Banner Spears (same as the Lannisters lost theirs when they got the Lanni Guards and Lanni Spears...) There'll aslo be geographic restrictions on these new units. I need to do a little bit of tidying up, maybe some new infopic parchments, then it will be time to try and roll up a bit fat juicy installer, and see if it works as a re-install

Oh, forgot to say: I've had a couple of outbreaks of Greywater Fever so the new plagues are working fine....
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 09-12-2020 at 23:02. Reason: sp.

Discussion forum thread

Default v1.4 is now available for download

Finally, here it is.

MTW Game of Thrones v1.4

This is a full install, as some of the biggest files are updated making it pointless doing a patch. Ideally start with a clean copy of MTW VI 2.01 as usual, but I can't see any problem putting it over an old AGoT install.

I've re-installed from this and played a full campaign so there should be no bugs, but as ever, if you find anything wrong please let me know here.

I've included a whole range of new desktop icons, so you can be as partisan as you like - choose your favourite faction.

Enjoy

ETA: and of course, it is not save-game compatible, so if you are installing over an older AGoT, finish your campaign first
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 02-04-2022 at 17:21.

Discussion forum thread

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Looks fantastic!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Cannot seem to get enough of your mods, dear. MTW is still alive and kicking largely because of your quality contributions. Respect to you!

Hello, are the Warrior's Sons Knights, and Foot Knights, recruitable for Lannister? They are in Custom Battle.

Nice mod, I hope you add to it.
    Last edited by Baron von Manteuffel; 01-30-2022 at 08:56.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast