Thread: Possible FIX for SHOGUN GOLD/WARLORD GRAPHIC ISSUES on 8xxx & 9xxx Nvidia Cards

Cool Possible FIX for SHOGUN GOLD/WARLORD GRAPHIC ISSUES on 8xxx & 9xxx Nvidia Cards

Good day Everyone,

It has been a long story but coming right the point; I think i have found a POSSIBLE FIX for all those graphical issues that plagued SHOGUN TOTALWAR (GOLD/WARLORD). the issues reported earlier and that i found are,

1. Main Menu Constant Stuttering (70% Fixed)
    2. Mouse Trails on Main Menu (100% Fixed)
    3. Stuttering and Frame Skip on Strategy Map (100% Fixed)
    4. Units Disappearing on Battle map (100% Fixed)
    5. Units Moving in opposite direction (this seems to be related to the graphic issues of TEXTURE BLANKETS) (100% Fixed)
    6. Texture Blankets (Strong example in the thread NVIDIA GEFORCE 8xxx AND 9xxx SERIES OWNERS - README by Asai Nagamasa. and it is 100% Fixed)

NOTE: GOOD NEWS to all those people out there who have nVidia GPU. no need to replace them nor do you need any old platform to enjoy SHOGUN TW(GOLD/WARLORD) above all no need to switch to the Software Acceleration with in the game provided your system can handle the stress and that you are able to run the game :) which i am sure it can.

Before i post my Tests and Fix, i think i should make it clear that this solution is not related to the Crashes related to throne room, Poems or Death sequences of Daimyos as I have not faced any yet and i am well in to year 1549 on my campaign. for all those issues please consult the related fixes and solutions posted by relevant Great people who helped us all. respect to all of them.

Also here are my Specs.

Intel (R) Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 2.79GHz
    RAM 2GB DDR2
    WIN 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

GPU: nVidia 9800GT 1GB DDR3 with 280.26 Firmware/Update up to date.

Just to not make it a whole Book here, my Fix is in the next post.

-V-

Post Re: Possible FIX for SHOGUN GOLD/WARLORD GRAPHIC ISSUES on 8xxx & 9xxx Nvidia Cards

THE POSSIBLE FIX

OK the term POSSIBLE FIX i used is because PC Configuration is different for every person and so there might be a possibility for even a small program running in background that can cause issue which i am certain has a probability of 3% but nonetheless can not be ignored.

Alright, To play this Old game we have to make sure our GPU is configured to play the old standards of Graphic processing. so how do we do it? well if change the main settings that would of course effect the remaining games and applications. in order to address this issue, i think NVidia always provided us with a Control panel along with every update in which we can specify the settings for each of our applications and games. in this case we are going to set some values for ShogunW.EXE file under the 3d Settings tab of Nvidia Control Panel.

Things to do.

1. Right Click on Desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the list that appears (usually in the Bottom section)
    2. Once the main screen opens up select MANAGE 3d Settings from the left side Menu under the list 3d Settings.
    3. On this interface you are provided with 2 Tabs. Global Settings (effects overall Applications) and Program Settings (application Specific). Select the Program Settings.
    4. If the Executable is found then select it but as in my case i could not find the Exe for Shogun so i had to use the browse option to go the the Install folder and selected ShogunW.exe (note that i have the Gold Edition but for some reason my exe is named ShogunW.exe i guess for warlord. i think they both are the same game but with different name)
    5. Now for all the settings listed there you can play with as you like at your own risk. I would recommend my options as shown in the pictures Nvidia Cp1 and Cp2. it might be possible that you need to change a little bit of things basically experimentation but i hardly doubt it.
    6. Test your games against the benchmark snaps i have attached here.
    7. Above all i need people to test and post their results and findings so we can narrow down the BENCHMARKS.
    8. Help would be appreciated by the Mods and Admins.

Happy Playing SHOGUN TOTALWAR guys :)

-V-

update: since i am unable to post images. here is the link to my file archive.
    filefactory.com/file/cecdc73/n/SHOGUN.rar

Looks like i can finally post my images. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nvidia CP1.jpg 
Views:	1829 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	2472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nvidia CP2.jpg 
Views:	1604 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	2473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strategymap.jpg 
Views:	1175 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	2474
    Last edited by vigilantevil; 09-19-2011 at 18:01. Reason: Picture Updates 2

Default Re: Possible FIX for SHOGUN GOLD/WARLORD GRAPHIC ISSUES on 8xxx & 9xxx Nvidia Cards

OKay for some reason i am unable to post images. Can anyone please help me with it. add me up on MSN chishti_yasir@hotmailcom. Mods please let me know how can i send you the snaps so you can have it posted here.

-V-

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Re: Possible FIX for SHOGUN GOLD/WARLORD GRAPHIC ISSUES on 8xxx & 9xxx Nvidia Cards

Have you tried uploading the pictures from a different host? I always use photobucket.com and never have any issues.

P.S thanks for this info though mate, I'm sure there are still people here playing original Shoggy and will be grateful if this fix works.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

good day Wishazu :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. i sure do hope this little find will be useful for people all around who still enjoy Shoggy. Also i was wondering if people can verify my findings, i would gladly try to implement same tests for MTW as well.

By the way, proof images can also be seen here on the following link for TWCENTER.net

twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=482722

Thanks again Wishazu

-V-

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, vigilantevil!

Great info here. If this works for MTW as well there would be lots of happy Orgahs. The units on the battle map thing has been the game killer for those with the 8/9xxx series. Do keep us informed on testing, and I'll post a notice in the MTW section to see if I can drum up a couple of frustrated players with those cards that can try this out.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

good evening fellas.

Thanks for the warm welcome Drone. i have had a new session for testing and there are some more findings that i would like to share.

1. Test run completed on nVidia 6800 GT (WinFast Brand), 8800 GT (inno3D) and 9800 GT (inno3D) ... All Worked out Fine.
    2. System Specs remain same as mentioned in my first post.
    3. Unit Disappearance issue. New update! We have to keep the screen ratio to FULL SCREEN from with in game options. it seems this solution does not support the WIDE SCREEN aspect of the game just yet.
    4. Main Menu stuttering seems to be constant at first but as soon as you start a new game or load one, it appears to get itself fixed. once you come back to main menu it will be gone as if it was not there. every thing seems very beautiful. the only instant it comes back is when you finish up a Historical or custom battle and come on to the result screen but then again as soon as you come over to the main menu it is gone again :) so in my humble opinion, THE GAME IS VERY VERY MUCH PLAYABLE now :) you can say about 90% which i am sure is way more then we previously thought to be the case which was unfortunately 0.00%

As for MTW, i do not have it yet with me. AS soon as I have some positive feedback from the community I will take up testing with MTW as well, or may be anyone of you with those cards and the game handy can try it out. it will be my pleasure to be able to bring joy over to my fellow gamers. (Finally i am giving something back to the gaming community ;)

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

-V-

Name:	Battlemap1.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	2466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap2.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	2467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap3.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	2468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap41024768.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	2469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	factiondestroyed.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	2470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainMenu.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	2471
    Last edited by vigilantevil; 09-19-2011 at 17:50. Reason: Pictures Update

This fix doesn't appear to work for MTW:Total war. I loaded up to the campaign screen fine but as soon as I choose a new campaign and selected my faction,it crashes to the desktop when it finishes loading into the main campaign screen,although I could be wrong I'm not that tech-minded.
    Last edited by oz_wwjd; 09-27-2011 at 12:36.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oz_wwjd View Post
    This fix doesn't appear to work for MTW:Total war. I loaded up to the campaign screen fine but as soon as I choose a new campaign and selected my faction,it crashes to the desktop when it finishes loading into the main campaign screen,although I could be wrong I'm not that tech-minded.
    Hi oz_wwjd, and welcome.

Great news. I'd not loaded STW on my newer laptop because I didn't think it would run given all the published problems, and my older laptop ran it fine. Well, now that I intend to retire the old one, it would be nice to load STW on my newer one. I'll try this when I get a chance.

I was going to point out that the errors with MTW you describe above sound like the button fix issue, but I went to link it and saw your other posts. It seems you've got that settled.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Yeah I figured that out eventually,once I found the revelant post. I've just finished downloading and installing my choice of mods for it,so tomorrow I'll give it a workout and post the results either here,or in the MTW thread.

Possible fix for nvidia geforce 8000 graphics card playing Shogun

Hi

Just joined as have been searching for ages for a fix to play shogun on XP with a nvidia geoforce 8600GT graphics card. Reading common problems that many have. Tried writing to Nvidia several times but no joy. However last time had success!! They suggested using their 275.50 driver as follows

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2...ta-driver.html

1. Download and Save the File on the Desktop.
    2. Click Run.
    3. After License agreement, please choose to perform Custom Installation.
    4. Choose Clean Install.

At last it works, there are some issues but at least I can play the games as before not possible! Cheaper than anew graphics card!

hope this helps
    Last edited by enjoy; 10-23-2011 at 20:09. Reason: Add link to nvidia driver

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-35-23-45.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	2966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-35-39-63.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	423.9 KB 
ID:	2967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-37-29-65.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	2968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-37-47-19.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	2969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-37-52-90.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	2970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShogunW2011-10-2915-39-33-16.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	2971

Original Shogun and Warlord Edition in full screen mode displays no units.

But by streching the battlefield display screen using F3 (srink) and F4 (increase), you can get your men back!

This was running NVIDA default configuration for STW/WE on Vista 32 bit with dual 8800s in SLI.

I had no idea that this would work, and it seems to in all respects tested this far.

Please post any questions - will have to answer them tomarrow though.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 10-29-2011 at 17:24.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Sorry about the big screenshots, no time to reduce.

I am amazed the game worked on this computer. I also tried Medieval Viking Invasion, and it worked as well.

My post above was about regaining lost units (thought maybe I had something), but actually widescreen/full screen seem to have little effect, as both end up the same.

Both games worked in full as they did ten years ago, a fact that was not true even five years ago. Maybe it is because I changed to a Vista operating system, maybe because of the NVIDIA driver improvements along the way? The thing is that they work now, where they did not before (always graphic and control problems).

Here is the rub. The only thing that does not work properly is background/foreground differentiation. I don’t know the technical mane for it, but it is the problem most exemplified by the unit card over write by the unit graphics.

The same thing happens in rough terrain, where all units are visible through hills and other objects on the battlefield.

I tried everything I could think of to fix this with the NVIDIA control panel but could not.

If you only stick to flat maps, everything will look ok, but this seems to be the last thing that needs to be fixed to bring these games back to life completely.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 10-30-2011 at 14:24.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

I've tried the possible fix but no results. Still have issues with invisible units. Also tried shrinking/expanding the battle screen. Ive also tried running the game on one core (affinity 0) and adjusting/decreasing the hardware acceleration on the gpu. Also tried testing it on full/widescreen.

I'm forced to play it on software mode.

system specs

asus laptop
    chip: intel p8700 2ghz
    ram: 4gb
    gpu: 9800m gs
    nvida driver 260.99 xp

hey,
    i am playing medieval 1. it works all fine except the mouseove issue of not being able to control men properly in battle.
    tried the settings listed but still the same.
    has any one else tried?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i32547 View Post
    hey,
    i am playing medieval 1. it works all fine except the mouseove issue of not being able to control men properly in battle.
    tried the settings listed but still the same.
    has any one else tried?
    thanks
    Hi,same here map works but with lag and in battle the units go opposite from where they are ordered.
    we must find a solution!

Thanks! I suddenly ended up seeing constant blinking two days after installing the game but it never happened prior to that. Odd, but at least you guys managed to find the problem out.
    Samurai of the Uesugi Clan.