Poll: What do we think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Leaving Limbo

Default Leaving Limbo

Leaving Limbo

Taking inspiration directly from 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding, and eerie indie platformer Limbo - Leaving Limbo takes place in a dark and unsettling land that lies beyond the borders of our own space and time: A land riven with deadly pitfalls and hazardous terrain, and populated by a host of terrible denizens.

Not least among these fearsome creatures are the Lost Tribe: - A group of children damned to spend their eternity in Limbo. Seeming to exist only to prevent any other poor souls from passing through their unforgiving realm, the Lost Tribe wreak terrible violence apon those who trespass their boundaries.

Though stripped of all but the last, ragged vestiges of humanity, the Lost Tribe are forced to rely on one another to survive and, as such, adhere to a basic - if uncivilised - form of society.

The Hierarchy of the Tribe is simple, but brutally efficient:

The weakest, but by far the most numerous of the Tribe are The Little 'Uns: The smallest of the cursed children; whose voices carry little weight in decision-making and who rely almost completely on the strength and leadership of their larger peers. Unfortunate Little 'Uns are often singled out and routinely victimised, tortured - or even killed - when no other threat or distraction is present to ensure tribal unity.

The older and stronger of the children form the second tier of the tribe:- The Big 'Uns. Though few in number, The Big 'Uns possess various characteristics and traits which raise them above their younger peers; granting them individual abilities and lending their opinions greater weight during Tribal decision-making.

Every hierarchy has a pinnacle and the Lost Tribe is no exception: Each day, a member of the tribe is given the Conch - the Tribes most treasured totem. Should the tribe fail to reach a decisive decision, the bearer of the Conch has the final word. The cursed children cling so strongly to the belief in the Conchs power that its bearer is deemed protected and may not be targeted for acts of cruelty - even if the bearer should be the lowliest of Little 'Uns.

Until now, the Lost Tribe has maintained its existence in Limbo with a ruthless determination. Countless souls have been hunted down with spear and blowpipe, drowned in stagnant pools, or impaled on the spikes of one of the tribes many fiendish traps. But an altogether more insidious soul is on its way to Limbo. A soul that will threaten the tribes very existence.

Leaving Limbo will be a Small Mafia Game featuring many of the standard features and roles, plus a few variations of my own.

If you would be so kind as to place your vote in the poll (EDIT!)above, it will give me a clearer idea of how to prepare for the game:

I'd also appreciate it if you did not post in this thread unless it is to do one of the following:

1) Post your interest in playing the game - a kind of pre-sign up phase
    2) Vote Option three and bring something ingenious to the table: Though I have not run a game before, I've got a fairly clear idea of how I'd like this to work, but I'll always welcome any suggestions.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by LazyMcCrow; 09-22-2011 at 10:35. Reason: Sig Image test

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Leaving Limbo

I'm looking forward for this :)
    I like the setting and the 'Uns seem like a nice bunch of chaps :D

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

I want to be part of it... especially if it is not a big game

Blog Entries

Sounds fun

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Wow, a really creative looking game and I can already tell, excellent narration to follow.

In, in, in.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Looks like this might be able to do what no highschool English classes could ever achieve - make 'Lord of the Flies' interesting. In!

(Just kidding - it wasn't all that bad).

You went through that too?

I might be in or not, depending on whats happening, put me in for now.

Don't worry! the only real inspiration I'm taking from LotF is the idea of the Conch. The main inspiration for this game is Limbo itself - which is as gruesome and brilliant as a 2-D platformer can be. I should say at this point that some of the images I use in our game may contain spoilers/semi spoilers of Limbo.

OK - I'm going to post a sign-up thread for this imminently. I've stripped back alot of the elements I'd added and the whole process of designing this one has been very interesting - thanks to those of you who have given advice when asked.
    I'm going to ditch the (Lynch immune) Conch element. Given that the tally is already going to be skewed dependent on whether the voter is a Big Un or Little Un I feel its best not to tinker with it any further... this time around at least. :)