Thread: Reduced battle movement speed

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Reduced battle movement

As requested I have uploaded a small mod that reduces infantry speed by 20% and cavalry by 30%

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...78&linkid=9538
    Last edited by CBR; 09-22-2011 at 02:21.

Member thankful for this post:

Cash 

Default Re: Reduced battle movement

I have been using this mod for weeks prior to its public release, and I highly recommend it.

At a 20% reduction infantry keep sufficient mobility and flexibility to react to emerging situations, without being a collection of Olympic grade sprinters. The 30% reduction for cavalry feels right, in that they are still significantly faster than infantry but are no longer able to zoom from one side of my screen to the other in the blink of an eye. No more rocket-powered racehorses! The reduced speed increases the importance of maneuvers and positioning, and makes it harder to simply throw a unit to the other side of the battlefield to compensate for poor planning. It also leaves the player with more time to react if they wish to play without pausing. With movement slowed down everything feels more measured, including the melees as the player is not frantically whipping around the field in an attempt to keep up with everybody.

As the mod does not change anything else, battle balance is largely the same as in the basic game. The only difference is that archers sometimes get an extra volley launched before contact. This means that unit roles and strengths are not affected. I find that a lot more satisfying than other speed mod variants, where stats like armour are also increased to slow down melees and the gameplay balance shifts as a result. I was already happy with the combat results in the basic game, and the mod gives me more time to appreciate the development of the melee. Fatigue is barely affected, if at all. Soldiers will not become tired just because it takes them longer to get to a destination.

It's easy to install too. Drop the file into your Shogun II/data folder and job done. To remove it, take the file out of that folder.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Member thankful for this post:

Cash 

Oooh this is just what I needed. Awesome. Thanks.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

I finally got around to trying this mod (late to the party) and think that it improves the game immensely, making all unit movements more realistic, and increases general playability significantly.

Not yet sure what happens if you play someone online who does not have it, but it looks like it is possible. At least other games are not red-ed out.

Anyone been there already?
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Hmm, I don't know how the game checks for stuff like that. Try it out with someone and see how it works out.

Default Re: Reduced battle movement speed

Was able to test one time today.

People could join my game, but when we got to the field, and started to move, the game went to desync.

Since that never happens to me, is reasonable to think the the mod is at fault.

would also mean that two or more players should be able to play with the mod online , will have to see
    Last edited by Tomisama; 02-10-2012 at 03:41.

Ok, so the game works as it should with the desync. (you never know with CA, heh)

AFAIK people do play some of the mods online, so yes just be sure other people have the mod installed and it will work fine.

It also affects replays. I posted a battle replay and forgot I had this mod installed; when people watched the replay everything played out very differently. One volunteer installed the mod and tried the replay again, that fixed the problem.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Yeah, replays just store the basics: units used, start positions, map and player input as well as the random seed. The game is "fighting" the battle again but all is predetermined.

If any of the initial conditions are changed, the result would not only be different but it will appear as if the players were drunk while playing, heh

It does seem to work well the other way around for replays though.

I have the last championship 3v3 competition battle replay, intending to make a promo movie from it, and took a look at it with the mod in place. The action was smoothed out and graceful, well suited for video.

I am now waiting for a programmable joystick I ordered (in next week), intending to rig it for dynamic and smoother camera control, so I can get the shots the way I want.

Using multiple passes of FRAPS recordings, and editing it all down with Power Director 10 Ultra, I hope to produce a five minute HD movie that will get the hearts of every want-a-be samurai aching for classic team play.

We will see