Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of the Green Dragon

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Legend of the Green Dragon

I agree, the upkeep is too expensive especially when you can sleep in the tavern for 300 gold at max level.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Upkeep is expensive because of the coffers, which allow you to save gold between DKs, which is otherwise impossible in the game. I am willing to tweak upkeep and coffer withdrawals a bit after we've had some experience with them, but I do not want coffers to give every player level 15 equipment at level 1. That would completely ruin game balance.

Protections are expensive because they are in addition to the usual fight mechanics. Your attacker still has to actually defeat you to kill you, even if you are undefended.

The coffers are not thief-proof, though stealing is not easy. You can also defend your coffers personally by standing guard over them.

Please be aware that castles and, to a certain extent, farmhouses, may be very difficult for a single person to afford on their own. This is intentional. Houses can be used by multiple people, all of whom can sleep, stand guard, etc. If you want a castle, and all the benefit that go with it, you might want to find a few friends willing to share the cost. 10 gems every 12 gamedays is expensive for one person, but it is cheap for 10 people.
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-30-2011 at 19:04.

Note: Something has happened to the installation. The entire dwelling system has somehow disappeared from the server since I installed it. I am investigating now.

Problem fixed.
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-30-2011 at 19:18.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Then you need to tell us how we can share gems and money.

Right now there is no system for it.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Gah! You transfer all your money to headsoup and thats it!Me promise to find yooo a niiiiss castel!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

Who is interested in doing a Castle with me? (Prefer DeOrgah's)
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

We should all have one castle as a clan. See hall chat.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You need 5 dragon kills (DK) for a farm house and 10 for a castle.

That is not counting the 100k in gold and 100 gems and another 50 forest fights.

It will take a whole lot of people to afford buying one and the upkeep is steep too.

12 game days is only 3 days real time.

For 8 people it is 12 gems each 12,000 gold with another 6 or 7 fights each and I’ll have to do 10 dragon kills just to get us in the ballpark.

That is when TinCow tells us how to share the expense.

Mark Twain

Well, hey, that's what, another month? Home ownership is a long-term investment.

Do you need to have 10 kills to stay at a friendly castle?
    Vitiate Man.

I get the idea that the official owner gets 8 keys and can pass them out to friends, at least 7 of them.

Also guard duty means less hitpoints and fights in the morning.

Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Well, 8 can sleep, but apparently more can use the castle?

Might be an idea to make a clan one, if we can pull the resources. I am sure the gems and gold exit from the "coffers" when needed.

Though I know TinCow has already nerfed it, but having it start cheaper then raise in price overtime for balancing might be best, as with a few buildings up, it might attract more attention and there aren't that many players as of yet. Especially to iron out any bugs or issues, and there is already a limit on "Withdrawals", but the biggest worry is the affording of upkeep.

Or an alternative, perhaps a Clan Chapter House as another building ?
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-30-2011 at 23:21.

Well, so far it costs 20,000 more than stated along with another 20 gems and I see no way that others can contribute to its building. Who knows about upkeep.

I don’t know about turns…is that days to build?

One might think a new building would need little or no maintenance for the first 6 months to a year anyway. LOL

Mark Twain

I have received some questions about the housing system. I'll answer them publicly so that I don't have to repeat myself.

upkeep is due every 12 game days.(3 days RL) What happens when the owner is away for a RL week or two but others are using the house? It could be that most are absent for a time, leaving that burden on just one or two people!
    I'm pretty sure that upkeep can be automatically taken out of the coffer, so you can ensure the payment by keeping enough money in there.

Dose everyone get to use the coffer, or only the owner?
    Everyone, though the owner can ban people from accessing it.

Dose the upkeep come from the coffer or is it paid some other way?
    As stated above, I think it gets drawn from the coffer. I will try and confirm this though.

How do others contribute to the building and upkeep?
    For the building, they need to transfer money and gems to the person who is going to build it. I will look into the options currently available on this. For upkeep, they simply need to drop it into the coffer.

I did establish a castle. It tells me that 120 gems are needed and not just 100.
    You must have tried in Orghulburg. I specifically said that building in Orghulburg costs 20% more. If you want a cheaper castle, build it in one of the villages.

------------

Again, I want to emphasize that there are a lot of balancing issues still to be worked out with this system. I am very, very wary of ruining game balance with the coffer system, so I am starting out with this on the extreme conservative side. Starting on the liberal side will simply ruin the game, because it risks some people becoming vastly more powerful than others if they can exploit the system before it gets into balance. It's far better to lock the system down tightly and slowly loosen it up than vice versa. If you do not think the housing system is a good investment at current prices, then you should not use it.

There is a bug in the Dwellings PvP module. Activating it does something that prevents the "Slay Players" list from showing where PvP-able players are located. I have deactivated the Dwellings PvP system until I can fix this.

For the building, they need to transfer money and gems to the person who is going to build it. I will look into the options currently available on this. For upkeep, they simply need to drop it into the coffer.
    Couldn't the system be modified as follows:

Dwelling owner can during financing authorize certain individuals to "interact" with the construction project. As in, authorized players can contribute their own gems, gold, and turns directly. Otherwise, it becomes very difficult to transfer gold, and any gem transfer would likely be one per day, correct?
    Vitiate Man.

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    There is a bug in the Dwellings PvP module. Activating it does something that prevents the "Slay Players" list from showing where PvP-able players are located. I have deactivated the Dwellings PvP system until I can fix this.
    Actually if people are still interesting in slaying players in the meantime, they can manually go to the "List Warriors" thing, and just browse for people who are +/- 2 levels near them and their locations.

Edit: TC seems to have fixed the bug already
    Last edited by Death is yonder; 11-01-2011 at 02:32.
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Anything on this yet?

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Couldn't the system be modified as follows:

Dwelling owner can during financing authorize certain individuals to "interact" with the construction project. As in, authorized players can contribute their own gems, gold, and turns directly. Otherwise, it becomes very difficult to transfer gold, and any gem transfer would likely be one per day, correct?
    That sounds great, but I can't do it. Please understand that I did not create this game and am simply installing modules and add-ons to give it more variety and customization. Anything that requires me to change the game code is beyond my abilities. I already tried to make the AI for the Dark Horse Tavern dice game smarter, but I couldn't get the new code to work. I simply don't have the programing knowledge to do these kinds of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Anything on this yet?
    There are some options available but I have not had time to add them yet. I'll try and remember to do it this evening.

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

The browser shows that I've pressed the H button over the course of this session 3300+ times, I wonder if that's healthy...

Darn it "Cathbran", you wasted all my time
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Alright, I'm made some changes to help make group purchasing of dwellings a little easier. First, I've tweaked the bank's gold transfer system to allow for players to receive more money per day from others. Players can now transfer and receive 100 gold per level, up from the previous 25. Players can also receive 5 transfer per day now, up from the previous 3. To help avoid this being abused to help out really low level characters, the level requirement to receive transfer is now 5, up from 3. So, if you want to receive a lot of gold from people, get yourself to a high level and sit there for a while so that other people can transfer a lot to you. With multiple players at level 15, it is theoretically possible to transfer 7500 gold to one person each day. That's more than enough to get any dwelling paid for.

As for gems, Clans now have Clan Vaults. These vaults are currently heavily locked down, and are only useful for transferring small numbers of gems. The vaults can hold up to 10 gems at a time, which can be withdrawn by Clan Leaders.

Is it possible to change the Pyramid system, so the bashing of the walls can be got rid of and for the pyramids to be more like Labyrinths? The bashing of the walls gets rather tiresome very quickly.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Is it possible to change the Pyramid system, so the bashing of the walls can be got rid of and for the pyramids to be more like Labyrinths? The bashing of the walls gets rather tiresome very quickly.
    Unfortunately, no. There are no built-in options for anything like that and such changes are beyond my abilities to code.

Ok.Thanks for the info!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Thanks a lot TC.

As for gems, Clans now have Clan Vaults. These vaults are currently heavily locked down, and are only useful for transferring small numbers of gems. The vaults can hold up to 10 gems at a time, which can be withdrawn by Clan Leaders.
    Why is there a limit on withdrawals for the clan vaults? Is it a system thing?

I assume that the owner will be stuck with the whole time/turn requirements but can you look at the security area and see if others can stand guard or give time to the upkeep?

Mark Twain

A few questions and comments on housing.

First, how do you fill in names and descriptions?

Second, what do you have to do to set security measures?

Third, the upkeep is steep, even for a group. Could it be set to a different time period. Say a week real time, 28 days game time?

For the PVP protection, could we set those rates the same as the cost of mercenaries.

Say, a cost of 2000 and 6 to 8 gems for a shack, then double and triple that for the larger dwellings?

Those with occupancy of more than one could set additional guards to increase security if need be and put it on a 28 or 30 day window?

And a general question; when dose the new month start for the pyramid wars?

Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Cannot deposit or withdraw cash from the Vault at the moment, only deposit gems to a max of 10.

Why is there a limit on withdrawals for the clan vaults? Is it a system thing?
    No, it's a setting I implemented. I don't really want the vaults to be there at all, I want people to use the dwelling coffers instead. However, I agree there needs to be a way to transfer gems and this was the easiest method I could come up with. I haven't been able to find a mod that would just let people transfer gems like they can with gold. The reason I've limited it to 10 per day is that I really don't want the vault used for any purpose other than group funding of dwelling construction. So, I want to make it somewhat inconvenient to use.

I assume that the owner will be stuck with the whole time/turn requirements but can you look at the security area and see if others can stand guard or give time to the upkeep?
    I'm pretty sure anyone with keys can stand guard.

First, how do you fill in names and descriptions?
    There's an option to do so inside the dwelling management area.

Second, what do you have to do to set security measures?
    For the coffers, you need to stand guard. The PvP security measures are not implement at the moment because, as I stated earlier, I have had to disable the PvP inside dwellings module because it screwed up the Slay Players list. Since the entire PvP in dwellings module in inactive, the guards to keep you from getting killed are also inactive.

Third, the upkeep is steep, even for a group. Could it be set to a different time period. Say a week real time, 28 days game time?
    Yes, I can alter that. I'll try and find the time to think about the proper balance for the upkeep of the dwellings.

And a general question; when dose the new month start for the pyramid wars?
    I have no idea. I don't know why it shows the Test clan as the previous winner either.

So no contributing turns? Come on, why shouldn't we be able to use swarms of low-level players to do the grunt work?
    Vitiate Man.

The modules for the Dice and Stones games in the Dark Horse Tavern are not well written and allow smart players to be able to win consistently, earning them millions of gold. This is inherently unbalancing in the game and I do not have the skill to fix the modules, so I have disabled them.

I am also aware that the Pyramids system is increasingly becoming a chore and not very much fun. I will try and find some kind of alternate clan competition system that is more interesting. The Pyramids will stay online until I find something to replace them.

Fisherking will be taking an admin-level role in running this game.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast