Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

In Backroom tradition starting on the 24th of December, the Backroom will be closed until after the New Year has started.

Whatever plans, celebrations or shenanigans you are up to over this period, we the staff team wish you well and hope to see you return in the new years with all the exciting updates and news over the week.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-20-2011 at 21:06.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What rotten luck, I completely forgot about this. :P My last final is the 22nd and I was gonna spend the next day or so catching up on sleep and then return to some threads I have not been posting in for weeks due to school. Looks like I will have to wait until after the Holidays.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I intend to start an abortion/gun control/global warming/religion thread at midnight on the 23rd.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I intend to start an abortion/gun control/global warming/religion thread at midnight on the 23rd.
    Don't forget the economy and sexuality.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

weak-kneed sissy liberal pansy stuff.
    what am I supposed to do during those days??? pick fights with the family?? ;P
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    weak-kneed sissy liberal pansy stuff.
    what am I supposed to do during those days??? pick fights with the family?? ;P
    lol, funny you should say that, because every time I am with my family for the Holidays, my older sis and I somehow manage to get on the subjects of religion and politics, and before you know it there is a raging debate. :P Gonna try to just keep my head down this time around. lol

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Happy holidays everyone Use this chance to recharge and come back strong next year!
    How long has this been a tradition? Kinda neat.
    A few years at least, I believe.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This oldie but goodie seems appropriate:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This space intentionally left blank

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I wanna register a complaint (like I did last year) about closing the Backroom for a Christian holiday, which won't have any effect (like last year), when this is an international forum. As long as we aren't closing for Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Orthodox Christian Xmas etc... we shouldn't do this.

I know most of the people here are Christians who celebrate their Christmas on the 25th, it's not about the number of people but about the principle. I'm going to keep on fighting the good fight for atheists, Muslim, Orthodox Christians, Buddhists, Confucianists, Hinduists, Sikhs, Jews...

Workers of the... err, non Christmas celebrating people, join me! You have nothing to lose but your membership!!!

Blog Entries

"Winter Truce", not "Shut for Christmas".

Also the Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, Junkanoo, Delta Cancrids and many other festivals are around this time of the year.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-22-2011 at 11:09.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    "Winter Truce", not "Shut for Christmas".
    Winter is from December 21st until March 21st, not from December 24th 'til January 2nd
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's just cold imho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Winter is from December 21st until March 21st, not from December 24th 'til January 2nd
    Christmas is simply the 25th!

Actually, I am sure that is incorrect, I always thought I was a spring child, not a winter one.

In the UK, meteorologists consider winter to be the three coldest months of December, January and February
    This is probably why.

It is the middle of summer down here.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I'm an atheist. However Xmas and new years are the longest set of public holidays in the year. As such it is a time for me to spend time with my family.

Also the Christmas truce origins are from WW I
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Also the Christmas truce origins are from WW I
    Quoted for truth. A little background, for anyone who's interested and doesn't already know.

Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War. Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Peace on org, good will toward all.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Merry Christmas everyone, I wish you all the best for you and your families.

A Happy New Year for all of you, may 2012 be very enjoyable.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

A truce for what? The Backroom was one of the most peaceful forums that I've been to. When I think of the Backroom people, I think of people holding beer cans and saying any sarcastic humor that comes up in their minds. I'd be struggling not to grin if the people over there argue the way they type. And I might lose the people who type/talk too long.

EDIT: That's odd. The script changed to the point that I could barely read it. Now it has changed back to normal. I guess someone realised that the new script wasn't a good idea.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 01-02-2012 at 04:20.
    Wooooo!!!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    How long has this been a tradition? Kinda neat.
    I'm not sure how long exactly we've been doing this, but it's been going on since well before I became a moderator (which was 5 years ago IIRC). I suspect it may even have been going on since before I even signed up here (I can't believe it's been almost 10 years!).

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    A truce for what? The Backroom was one of the most peaceful forums that I've been to.
    Between you and me, I think the truce was enacted because that way those lazy, good-for-nothing BR moderators don't have to do any work during that period.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I'm not sure how long exactly we've been doing this, but it's been going on since well before I became a moderator (which was 5 years ago IIRC). I suspect it may even have been going on since before I even signed up here (I can't believe it's been almost 10 years!).

Between you and me, I think the truce was enacted because that way those lazy, good-for-nothing BR moderators don't have to do any work during that period.
    Hmm.....Maybe the Backroom was not civil during the early years. And then the BR moderators realized that this was a good way to have a vacation from modding.
    Wooooo!!!

Blog Entries

Martok, you traitor!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

"MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Blog Entries

Default Backroom Truce: 24th Dec - 1st Jan

In Backroom tradition, starting on the 24th of December, the Backroom will be closed until after the New Year has started.

Whatever plans, celebrations or shenanigans you are up to over this period, we the staff team wish you well and hope to see you return in the new years with all the exciting updates and news over the week.

Plenty of time to brush up on those skills.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-18-2012 at 04:18.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default were is the backroom?

were has it gone?
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Genesis 1.1

Default Re: were is the backroom?

As I understand it, it gets put away for this time of the year or something which is some sort of tradition.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Christmas truce
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Blog Entries

A higher being struck the Backroom from the forum for it being delayed in the truce and Backroom will only return once it has been pleased...
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-27-2013 at 17:30.

It's only temporary? Bah! ;)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast