Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

Oh hello there Davey boy.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Where did the Backroom go to?

Even the Germans and the English laid down their weapons during this time... So do we...

I think it is mainly so that the staff can spend time with friends and family.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-24-2016 at 18:40.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: Winter Truce 24th - 2nd of Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Have not been to the org in probably a year now and thought I would stop in the backroom to see if the euros and other foreign commie ilk were still performing fellatio on Obummer but to my great disappointment there was no backroom to be found... Then I remembered that this was that time of year when we pretend that some invisible boogie man demands our morality and good will to go into overdrive....
    Happy Holidays everyone, including the terminally stupid. Peace and love, peace and love...
    Love you too Dave! well for $5...

Part tradition and also gives the mods a holiday. I for one wanted to post something big over that time period...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: Backroom Truce: 24th Dec - 1st Jan

Obligatory protest against it.

Rude to force a break on everyone just because a part of Christianity celebrate holidays during that part of the year. It's an international forum, with atheists, jews, muslims, hindus, orthodox christians and other faiths, denominations and beliefs.

This is the .Org's version of stamping on civil liberties.

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Obligatory protest against it.

Rude to force a break on everyone just because a part of Christianity celebrate holidays during that part of the year. It's an international forum, with atheists, jews, muslims, hindus, orthodox christians and other faiths, denominations and beliefs.

This is the .Org's version of stamping on civil liberties.
    The org is no democracy I like this tradition myself. Not that it's really truce as things are friendly enough as it is. Have a great christmas and new year mia mucas

And as the aforementioned Hindu, I feel that this truce is more in the spirit of the values that Christmas represents rather than having anything to do with religion.
    And that is something everyone can appreciate.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 12-22-2015 at 08:01.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    And as the aforementioned Hindu, I feel that this truce is more in the spirit of the values that Christmas represents rather than having anything to do with religion.
    And that is something everyone can appreciate.
    You're not helping my case. Just pretend you're oppressed.

Visor 

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Hay! I am open. How about the 27th? If you are too drunk on 31 or 1 Jan to post, NBD.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I would be in favor of only keeping the Drunkards tavern open.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can move that thread to the frontroom during it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I think it's because the mods will be too busy to moderate this forum during the holidays.
    I suggest having more mods of other religions, such as a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Hindu, etc. to work as substitutes.
    Wooooo!!!

Beskar 

Blog Entries

I heard something that in the early days, there were a few topics which "ruined Christmas" for some people too, and due to the busy season-time, the mods were not around to moderate it...

Though, the thread is in anniversary of the unofficial truce of World War 1, not Christmas itself.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    I think it's because the mods will be too busy to moderate this forum during the holidays.
    I suggest having more mods of other religions, such as a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Hindu, etc. to work as substitutes.
    Only if they are as chill as Beskar and Hooahguy.

Seriously, we lucked out with our mods, last thing we need is to give a zealot the ban button.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Only if they are as chill as Beskar and Hooahguy.

Seriously, we lucked out with our mods, last thing we need is to give a zealot the ban button.
    Don't worry. You're only annoying and clueless. You can't get banned for that.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Im actually preparing to move in the coming week so one less worry would be nice.

Also the extent of my holiday observances is eating Chinese on Christmas eve.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Don't worry. You're only annoying and clueless. You can't get banned for that.
    Ouch, Shots fired!
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-24-2015 at 11:19.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Actually,could we in future extend the Truce over New Years' Day?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

It is that time of year again!

Blog Entries

Default Winter Truce

From 00:00 24th December GMT till 2nd Jan. The Truce will begin.

Default Re: Winter Truce

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    From 00:00 24th December GMT till 2nd Jan. The Truce will begin.
    Fake news, it's Dec. 24th 2017 and 4:10 am and.........yes, yes, I should sleep....

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Christmas Truce

Just as a reminder, though most of you know the story well, the "war to end all wars" took a break on Christmas of 1914.

So this yank conservative will pause a moment in our persiflage melee, wish you all a Merry Christmas, and pray that the New Year brings health, joy, and a bit of peace to you and yours.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Christmas Truce

Christmas truce must be the most horrific thing about WW1 in a way, nobody really wanted to kill eachother but when it was over they had to. Things can be so twisted. I love the 'Futility' poem by Wilfred Owen, had to make sense of it when I was still at school and I never did really the question remains unanswered; 'was it for this the clay grew tall?'. Sometimes I wish I am less cynical but the world and surroundings give me no choice, I relish the smaller things and prefer to be the fool
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-24-2017 at 09:40.

Blog Entries

I couldn't access the Org to do it personally.

Husar 

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Merry christmas, and a happy new year in advance to everybody! The backroom guys I will see afer zero hour

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: were is the backroom?

Quote Originally Posted by GenosseGeneral View Post
    Didn't the Americans join the war in 1917? And from what I know, they mostly held back their troops until the last German major attack in late 1918.
    We declared in April of 17. There was no peace-time draft and little preparedness for war except by the US Navy. Wilson tripled the size of the Army in late 1914 from 45k to 140k. We began the war with only 27k in reserve and guard units. As a comparison, Von Kluck's 1st Army (1 of Germany's 8 at the outset of the war) had roughly 160k personnel.

We did not really 'hold back' troops so much as create and army of 2 millions, whole cloth, in about 15 months.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Merry Christmas! (Or, if that doesn't float your boat, replace it with whatever festive well-wishing strikes you as appropriate!)

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Merry Christmas, all. Love. F
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Members thankful for this post (4):

Hyvää joulua ja onnellista uutta vuotta!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Merry Christmas dear Orgahs!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Thank you for you guys voluntarily going with tradition with this one, done it formal now.

Have a good time over the next few days!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast