Thread: damn muskets story

Ok, so Im attacking as always. I have the two wing attack, one elite units the other not so elite. I fake the guy out, by reinforcing his left flank where my elite units are, and charge with six YS and a WM. Ok? Well as im doing this I attack with my right wing of ND and WM supported by one gun. The connection is shit, so this is all happening is slow motion. The point is that when Im attacking him, Im winning except his guns shoot and I keep loosing men. I cave his right flank but I cant kill his muskets they keep running away. Eventually my men are exhausted and they run. My right flank dissolves in the choas and I lose. Shit. I had a great army that was totaly dominant. He won, because he was on a small hill, and his damn muskets kept firing. This is insane! How the hell do you cope with something like this. This is lunacy, muskets shooting through troops. My tactics were sound, my strategy great, my units superior. His damn cheap guns on a hill were lethal. Could not flank them could not touch them. Any thoughts. Im really not as mad as i appear.

------------------
    The bastard
    The bastard

Yeah. Been there done that.

See I think that is why cavalry comes in useful. They are great for flanking from the rear especially on missile units. I hate the slow motion problem. I have stopped playing online until I get my cable modem next week. Hopefully that will take care of that problem.

[This message has been edited by Asakura Lord (edited 07-10-2001).]
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

sound like u fought a crazy man!....
    Back to the darkside

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Ahh, game nuances -- you must learn the GAME tactics to win. You are now beginning. Your army might have been superior in some hypothetical historical context...

but in the game reality -- your opponant had the superior army and used better tactics (at least with his ranged weapons)

yes ASUKURA is correct, where was your YC or CA's to race in behind and drive off the muskets?

Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Patton21,

You've got several choices. You can try to reduce the enemy guns in an extended shootout before charging. You can use a fast infantry unit or cav unit to attack guns from the side as you charge. You can try to come up from behind with cav after the front line is engaged. Make sure your own guns come up to support your charging troops.

Despite their low morale, musk will often rally and come back again and again. Cav are good for running them off the field. You can chase a gun unit all over the map with an infantry unit, and you'll never catch it.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Asakura Lord

The cable modem should take care of your problem. I've eonly played about four games on lnie, but I have a cable modem and I can tell you, the internet play is every bit as fast as the single player games.

plus with cable, you're online 24/7, even when your computer's not on! So that will cut off the time it takes to sign onto the internet.

Quote Originally posted by noah1234:
    Asakura Lord

The cable modem should take care of your problem. I've eonly played about four games on lnie, but I have a cable modem and I can tell you, the internet play is every bit as fast as the single player games.

plus with cable, you're online 24/7, even when your computer's not on! So that will cut off the time it takes to sign onto the internet.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am so looking forward to it. I just need to run the cable through the attic to the room where the computer is set up before they come.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Patton,

I've only been in the game about a month but I have come a long way. And at least with where I'm standing right now, I've accepted the fact that against halfway competent players or better who have guns, a melee unit rush will fail. Even if you have monks and he has yari sam, all they have to do is hold you in position long enough for the guns to move in to point blank and do their morale damage.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Insolent Horses!!!!"
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Flanking with a Cav unit is good or you could try to decimate his musk with SA.

------------------
    RUN, to live to run another day!

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

nothing is more satisfying than shooting down w/m and yari all afternoon on a hot summers day , one more lesson in tactics for you to overcome thats all.
    website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

others mentioned cav to drive off guns and i'm going to also, but, be careful, you want the guns engaged on something else first, drawing the fire...cav going at guns can be disastrous, specially if your opponent suddenly sees you coming and set the guns on hold/hold. the cav will rout every time.

one thing i did once that i was quite proud of, was ya know how folks will often move their guns way out in front of the hth guys? get the guns to engage your guns or nags or something and then take your cav and run it BETWEEN his guns and hth. if yer fast and catch him off guard you can actually drive his guns, as they try to back away, into your hth guys. i've only done it well once, but it can work. it's just like herding sheep into the slaughter ;)

K.

Yup. A gun in skirmish is funny to look at when enemies come from several directions

It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

If you attempt a flanking move with cavalry there is more than a good chance they too will suffer heavy casualties and may rout. The gunners must have been reasonably high honour. For this reason you will need to use a unit of SA or YS (not YA) in loose formation to draw fire. Place them as far away as you can to minimise casualties. Meanwhile move your cavalry around the flank and come from behind, as the gunners move and try to redeploy, move your YS (close form) in from the front, creating a pincer attack.

------------------------

"Those who cling to life die, and those who defy death live." Uesugi Kenshin

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

There are only 2 proven methods of dealing with guns (aside from the outright shootout approach):

1. To hunt them down with *SEVERAL* fast units. To be successful, you have to never charge frontally, and always use more than 1 approach vector. This is quite difficult if the guns are near the rest of the army. But when done right, you get rid of all the little bastids.

2. Try to isolate them and take em out 1 by 1. Won't work vs good players, though. But you can easily nail unexperienced players this way!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

The routing cav archers trick is very good v the guns. Lost my Taisho that way once before.