Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army compostion for seleucids in the west

Default Army compostion for seleucids in the west

As you can probably tell by my username im a fan of the arche. Im just curious to know what your compositon for your seleucid armies are during the game, especially when you've completed victory conditions and want to take on Rome and carthage for fun. I play on the recommended H/M settings and my late game armies are completely focused on heavy infantry and cavalry elites just because they are so beautiful. i dont really have the money to raise these armies until the victory conditions are met so i tend to test them against the western factions

1st Army
    1 general
    1 cataphract elephant
    2 hetairoi
    2 cataphracts
    4 Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou
    8 silver shields
    2 Hypaspistai

2nd army
    1 general
    2 hetairoi
    2 prodomoi
    2 hypaspistai
    2 Peltastai Makedonikoi
    8 Pezhetairoi
    1 mercenary galatian wild men
    2 cretan archers

3rd Army (mercenary)
    1 mercenary general
    4 mercenary Pezhetairoi
    2 massylian hoplites
    4 samnite heavy infantry
    2 bruttian infantry
    2 cretan archers
    1 thessalian cavalry
    4 thracian skirmishers

My first army contains the best infantry and cavalry in the game while my second army is made up of semi elites and some mercenaries. My third army is made up of whatever i can recruit along the way. What ive found is that my first army suffers the most casualties per battle (250) and second army suffers the same casualties per battle (roughly 200) as my mercenary one so im assuming its an issue to do with the balance of my army. Im wondering if anyone has a good composition for their Seleucid armies when fighting in the west. Oh and im fighting late game carthage and roman armies btw

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Default Re: Army compostion for seleucids in the west

You need some ranged units in the first army. AI units tend to run and tire themselves out once a proper pelting from stones and arrows commences. Also your first army lacks flexible infantry and cavalry. What I tend to do at such a stage in game is take 18 "royal" units and reserve two slots for mercenaries which can handle siege assaults and act as lighter infantry to flank and such.

Then again, if you base an armies success purely on units lost, just take 19 units of Dahae Horsearchers and 1 cataphract elephant and I think you will be set. :p
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

why not add some syrian Archers they blend in nicely with the Cantanks and Can-man-tanks.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

i think syrian archers have less arrows and range than cretans so i went with those. also it takes 2 years for me to send reinfocements from syria :(. Can you guys post up what kind of army you use against the carthage elite pikemen spam. and those elite libyans with the green shields. or just post up what you use agaisnt western armies. I made another savegame file and tested my first army against the lusitanian. WOW those guys are brutal. I never expected to lose 1/3 of my best infantry and cavalry to an army with half professional soldiers and half regional levies. Luckily im good with logistics and economy so after i conquered sicily italy and the alps i sent 4 armies into north africa and carthage is down to 3 cities in numdia. However they have 2 leftover full stacks of these elites. any tips on fighting lusitanians??? im pplannign to go into spain soon. what armies did you guys use? ( if u went to spain)

and also Rome has marian reforms and theyve pulled their shit together so now im actually facing stacks of post marian re-enlisted legions

and they have scattered cities surrounding the alps so i have to fend off attacks from different directions to hold onto italy

Ah the Greenshields are quite tough, shield armor, valor, AP axe and a spear to push Hetairoi from their horsies. I had my problem with them aswell, but I found it's best to use cheap AP troops against them. as they counter most Elite troops, exept those with ap-Weapons on their own. The Elite Pikemen, well Pin them down and cheap Ap-troops + Cav in the back, nothing else you can do about those.

The Lusitanians call for missile fire and swordsmen, shields are good aswell, but Armor is mostly dead weight as most of them have AP weapons :/ save up your elites for their spearmen ;)
    I normally use a solid line of standard troops(pezos for the AS, I normally hae more hoplitesque troops) with 3+ shield and attack them with arrows and flanking swordsmen. Works most of the time. If you want you can also import Horse archers :D

The Suggestion of Syrians was of purely sylistic nature, I know that Kretan archers are much better I just think syrians fitt in much better, Cretans look like Experienced rough mercenaries(duh) syrians look like "proffessional" soldiers.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

but arche doesnt really have ap units so they have to be mercenaries which i cant replace in time and my only swords men are the hypaspistai and Peltastai Makedonikoi which i use as flank guards. i cant really use them to flank cause for some reason the AI always deploys a longer line than me unless i outnumber them by alot. if i get more archers then my line will be even shorter. how many pezos do you use in an army?? my standard phalanxe line is 8 units

8 phalanxes is a lot. The AI just tends to enjoy lining up all their units in one line instead of creating multiple lines. Arche actually gets loads of AP units, they just tend to be very light, like Eastern Axes, Cappadocian or Anatolian Hillmen, or Hyrkanians. They may get Galathraikes or Triballi if you have expanded to the proper Thracian regions or the Galatian heavies and these may be a better solution as high lethality units. Alternatively, you can import your own AP elites in Guild Warriors all the way from India but thats a true hassle and not worth it imo. The whole point of light units is that they are replaceable, just use whatever is available at hand. Your army can leave Antioch with Eastern Axes but after a few battles in Iberia can be using Iberian swordsmen.
    Last edited by Brave Brave Sir Robin; 01-07-2012 at 06:09.
    From Brennus for wit.

im interested in how you manage to get reinforcements sir robin. Im quite good at logistics and always plan my campaigns ahead and recruit units in pella every few turns to maintain a constant stream of reinforcements for the western front. However lately ive favoured using 100% mercenary armies to take cities and my royal armies to fight field battles. what do you do when your fighting far from the homeland but still want to maintain a successor style army

Well generally you don't need more than 2-4 units to take any towns because the AI doesn't reinforce them very well. And of course you can just maintain a siege until an attacking army turns your siege into a field battle. If you need to storm town centers use cheap expendable units with high lethality or ap. Gallic swords are perfect for this.

As far as field battles, phalangites generally take very few casualties and don't need to be replaced often. Heavy cavalry I keep in reserve. Light cavalry gets the brunt of the work along with missile units and the mercenaries or local recruits. Since I don't care about replenishing mercs I use them as liberally as I'd like. Light cav will get beat up but cavalry moves much quicker on the strat map than infantry reinforcements. And of course, missiles aren't that big a deal as they shouldn't take many casualties either, especially in the West. Therefore, light cavalry are really the only reinforcements I need regularly and I try to use mostly Prodromoi as AS. Also try to avoid attacking enemy armies, let them come to you and only push the issue by sieging cities. That way the enemy tires themselves out coming to you and allow themselves to get beat up by archers and slingers. Recruit Rhodian Slingers and Bosporan or Kretan Archers if you can.
    From Brennus for wit.

Why not use the Ancient highway: the Mediterranean? If the Situation allows it I usually send Reinforcements per boat. It's much faster and allows for some sneaky amphibious attacks^^. most of the time I have at least one boat with reinforcements on the sea or rather a safe harbor.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

haha yeh i like to roleplay though. If im sending armies via the sea i always use a fleet of 400 ships (so 8 units). i think sending a large army on a small boat is a bit dodge lol. i actually did that for the mercenary stack in italy and sne them on a boat to north africa but the royal armies i marched them from syria and egypt. and yeh i send reinforcment units of hypapastai by boat but the carthage in my game actually has a freaking powerful navy. its lead by a 5 star admiral and has 5 tier 4 ships

Oh and also the reason im asking this is I want to make an AAR of seleucids conquering the world. I already have several justiifications for war with various factions and i want to make it epic. Also can someone tell me how tl take those videos or pictures while in game?

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Fraps can take video's and screenshots, but it costs a few bucks. For the screenshots, another alternative is the PRINT SCREEN button. I'm a noob at that button though. There should be some AAR guides on this forum somewhere...
    Last edited by Ludens; 01-07-2012 at 21:34.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a free version of FRAPS that can do both screenshots and videos, although it has limited functionality. I used Howie's screen capture for a while because it produced .jpg's (IIRC the freeware FRAPS only does .bmp), but it would sometimes go unstable, so use it at your own risk.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I haven't quite made it into the West in my current AS campaign, but here are some ideas for army composition :)

This is the core of usually all my armies (minus the slinger and the archers, these are just for garrison purposes), it works pretty well against anything they have encountered so far and leave room for a number of regional units. This stack has fought the Ptolies through all of Egypt and might soon be deployed against Carthage:

Here's a "regional" variety of that army, to counter the ongoing Macedon and Getai onslaught:

I'm trying new compositions as well, these are supposed to be flexible and able to defeat armies of the Getai and Sarmatians, so far they have worked well in the Crimean and might get some Bosporans and more Scythians in the future:

This is one another experiment that is supposed to wreak havoc in Greece, a Roman style Celtic/Galatian army, I can't wait to use it in a real field battle, should be good fun:

My royal army that's finishing campaigning in India right now, there's still room for a unit of elephants:

A variety that has worked well against the Saka and might be useful to employ in the west as well:

Those look like solid set-ups but I don't quite get what the akontistai and the Pelt-maks do in your Bosphoran set up? no Bosphoran archers? no Lonchophoroi?
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    Those look like solid set-ups but I don't quite get what the akontistai and the Pelt-maks do in your Bosphoran set up? no Bosphoran archers? no Lonchophoroi?
    Good point. I can't recruit Bosphorans yet, but they will be added to that army and replace the Caucasian archers. As far as the Akontistai go - I actually tend to use them sometimes, in this case they were the first troops I could recruit on the Crimean so I used them as garrison and to have cheap cannon fodder, they won't be part of a field army though. Right now, I'm undecided about cavalry. I have the Catas for punch and if needed the Scythians can be used as light middle cavalry (after all, they have a pretty decent charge bonus), fighting with the stack in the field will show if I want another unit of cavalry.

i notice you use pelt maks more a lot and almost have no hypaspistai. is there any reason for that? Ive always found pelt maks to perform quite poorly especially in field battles. They seem to be more vulnerable to missiles than hypaspists and dont move quickly enough to flank. Also they cant hold cav charges and have massive casualties compared to hypaspistai. even western medium infantry seems to do a lot of damage to them due to their small numbers. I only really put them in my army for variety

and you guys are right about my first army. ive defeated the Carthaginians and had a a bitch of a time trying to defeat the numdian rebels. my army was too heavy and the numdians wouldn't engage even when attacking me. i ended up having a series of battles with 100 casualties on both sides which was basically a waste of my time

Ah, that explains it. But as soon as you leave your walls you're better off with pantodapoi or Caucasians on loose formation to divert HA fire. But the Pelt maks still puzzle me, they may be good against infantry and the best thing for you to choose when assaulting walls, but in the steppe they are largely useless - no spears, javelins don't do much against HAs(well they do if you hit them but they seldom come in range) just Hardy(not very hardy) and not as impenetrable as TAB.
    For cavalry I'd suggest Lonchophoroi as they have the largest shield or when they field cataphracts: Aspidophoroi. Anyway there is nothing wrong with skythian riders, afterall the most usefull unit type in the open.

You could add 1-2 units of mercenary horse archers or generally invest more in archers as they eat numidians for breakfast. Afterall the Numidians will avoid the phalangites as they'd get slaughtered if they engage them^^
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Ah, that explains it. But as soon as you leave your walls you're better off with pantodapoi or Caucasians on loose formation to divert HA fire. But the Pelt maks still puzzle me, they may be good against infantry and the best thing for you to choose when assaulting walls, but in the steppe they are largely useless - no spears, javelins don't do much against HAs(well they do if you hit them but they seldom come in range) just Hardy(not very hardy) and not as impenetrable as TAB.
    For cavalry I'd suggest Lonchophoroi as they have the largest shield or when they field cataphracts: Aspidophoroi. Anyway there is nothing wrong with skythian riders, afterall the most usefull unit type in the open.

You could add 1-2 units of mercenary horse archers or generally invest more in archers as they eat numidians for breakfast. Afterall the Numidians will avoid the phalangites as they'd get slaughtered if they engage them^^
    I know, Akontistai die like flies, but it is always useful to have a spear or more to throw at the enemy, that's why I prefer them over Spearmen. And for garrison duties: cheaper is better :D
    You are right about the Pelt Maks. In fact, I just like the unit despite their often lacking performance and I heavily use them during sieges, I guess that's why I have some of them - the four units are the only ones throughout my empire though. There's no reason not to have some Aspidophoroi - I love heavy Skirmisher cavalry, might add unit or two as they are fine addition to raining arrow death.

War with Carthage is thankfully still a mile away (we have a neutral zone between our empires) and if it breaks out, there will be alot more Cretans and Skirmisher cavalry in my armies. In any case, thanks for the tips, I'll try them out as soon as I get back to that campaign :)

i think you should get a few more units of hypaspistai when you conquer pella. they are very versatile and a life saver when fighting romans. they are more versatile than TABs for me. ive only found one use for TABs and thats to guard flanks against cavalry when your other cavalry is tied up. they are like flexible phalanxs for me. i never use them as flanking force, only to guard my own flanks. But they are soo good at that

oh and btw your first priority i think should be to conquer a ring around the black sea before you begin attacking makedon and getai. if you conquer the entire black sea and build some ports the black sea will add around 10, 000 to your income. what difficulty are you playing on btw?

The Lusitanians call for missile fire and swordsmen, shields are good aswell, but Armor is mostly dead weight as most of them have AP weapons :/ save up your elites for their spearmen ;)
    I normally use a solid line of standard troops(pezos for the AS, I normally hae more hoplitesque troops) with 3+ shield and attack them with arrows and flanking swordsmen. Works most of the time. If you want you can also import Horse archers :D
    hey don't their spearmen have ap as well? they have solid metal spears or something dont they?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    hey don't their spearmen have ap as well? they have solid metal spears or something dont they?
    That's the soliferrum, so most Luso and Iberian units' javelins are AP...

BTW about your armies, they are too elite and not as heterogeneous for my tastes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    That's the soliferrum, so most Luso and Iberian units' javelins are AP...

BTW about your armies, they are too elite and not as heterogeneous for my tastes :P
    haha yeh my armies are so ineffective. but dont the scrutarii also have an ap spear like a real spear not a javelin?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

I think their spear has the piercing trait in the edu, but they don't have the AP bonus afaik...

i mite just stay away from spain until ic an reform my armies those guys are too though. Ive finished conquering north Africa now and sent my second army to spain where it got ripped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast