Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Danube Courtroom

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: Lords of the Danube Courtroom

Ludolf is still seated in the courtroom, and watches this conversation with obvious interest.

Lost your King have you? I must say, I have never seen this before.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

To the sound of hunting horns, King Bokeny of Hungary enters the chamber, clothed in ermine but for the time being without the crown upon his head. That will wait until after the private coronation.

As he approaches the great throne, over which his father, cousin and uncle fought bitterly and to the death, he hesitates for a moment. He takes a deep breath and seats himself atop it, claiming his birthright as supreme ruler of the Magyar.

Looking around the courtroom, he spies the Papal envoy, the Sicilian Ludolf.

You sir, kindly make yourself scarce. This is a gathering of the Magyar nobles, you are not permitted to attend.

He waves his hand impatiently at the man, ushering him out of the chamber.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Bokony arrives shortly after, having had his armor quickly removed and his wounds attended, he was still clutching his side. Behind him trailed Ádám carrying ink, quill and paper while Hahold rested his left hand on his sword hilt, his right bound up in a snare. All three men wore tabards of Hungarian colors but with Bokonys family crest

As the trio entered the chamber, they abruptly stop as Bokony spots the Sicilian. Silence ensues with clear hostility in the air.

"Your squire will not be attending you again, an untimely demise befell him from the strokes of my sword."
    Last edited by Mithridate; 03-31-2012 at 14:49.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

At the King's words Demeter, out of his tournament armor and now clad in a simple suit of mail, tabard, and thin sword belted at his waist, stands and looks meaningfully at the foreign envoy.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Armed Royal guardsmen usher the Sicilian out of the chamber. When he is gone, the new King addresses the gathered nobles.

Lords of Hungary, it is a bleak day.

We have lost a great King, a great leader and a great warrior. His killers will be hunted down and held to account for their crimes, wherever they are to be found. It is my belief that our enemies haved conspired against us in this ambush. The Byzantines knew the direction of the King's retreat from Constantinople and clearly passed the information to the Cuman warband which ambushed him.

It is to those two powers that we must turn our attention now, to end the long wars between our Kingdom and theirs as soon as possible and in our overwhelming favour.

I intend to drive the Greeks back across the Hellespont where we can hold a defensive line against them and raid their territory at our leisure until they sue for peace. This will mean a long and bloody campaign into Macedonia and Greece, which will begin with an assault on Skopje.

As to the Cumans, I seek nothing less than their utter subjugation to our rule. No longer will we tolerate their aggression and constant raids on our border lands.

In the past we have been divided and weak, set against each other by a blood feud that began with the death of King Sandor and claimed the lives of my father Saul and Pozsony's father Mate. The late King and I struck this feud a mortal blow with our agreement at Varad and what was left of it has died with him.

Now is the time to unite in a common cause and show the world why the Magyar are to be feared!

In the eyes of God and our ancestors, we will conquer our foes!

Still standing Bokony nodded his approval but continued with addressing the king

As you know, i was assigned as the Royal Ambassador of Hungary and appointed with the privy seal. I have been in contact with surrounding factions, all seem well except not having any response from Lithuania... The last messenger was returned in a casket without a body or message, a new one have been dispatched recently. Poland desires continued peace and Kiev have voiced support in a naval invasion of the Anatolia. Sicily may be open to invade the Balkan but have been stubborn, considering recent... developments i doubt they would be willing to co-operate.

Negotiations with the Pope, HRE and Venitians have been handled by our deceased king and no real relations exists with other factions as far as i am aware.

As the north is not "secure" from invasion, It is my belief that we need Halych to be properly administered and defended by a local lord. I have temporary assumed control but officially the land belongs to you, I suggest you award the lands to me or my able adoptee Hahold, possibly Demeter in case of Lithuanian raids or Cuman remnants.

My main force will march south to secure Bessarabia, then after replenishing move on Constantinople or neighboring regions. Any commands?

Before taking his seat, Bokony bowed to Bokeny with a curt "My king"

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Ludolf remains silent after the King's demands, but as he is led out a small smile can be seen.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

The King, in response.

Lord Huntpaznan, I thank you for your diplomatic report and for your diligence in performing the role for the late King, my cousin.

For the time being I will conduct all diplomacy myself as I familiarise myself with the politics of the world. Perhaps later I will delegate some of these responsibilities as Pozsony did.

Lord Bokony a Huntpaznan nembol, I hereby grant you my Privy Seal as a token of the high esteem in which you are held by the crown and the nobles of the land. I also grant you the title of Palatine- may your judgement be true.

As to the matter of Halych, while I recognize and applaud your prowess in capturing that stronghold of our enemies, I will instead grant you the castle of Baia for your realm. Let it stand as a bastion on our eastern border.

You plan to march on Bessarabia seems sound, but I would ask you to await further orders before marching south.

Turning now to Demeter az Aba nembol.

Groef of Kassa, I applaud and commend your victory in the tournament. You are truly an example to us all and I pray I am half as formidable a warrior when I reach your august age.

It is to you that I entrust the castle of Halych on our northern border. May it serve as a launching pad for our final victory over the cumans. I look forward to your report on how you plan to achieve that.

In addition I grant you the title Master of Treasury. Use your powers to ensure the kingdom is properly developed to assist our plans.

Now to Kerecse.

Sir, I congratulate you on your elevation to Groef of Zagreb, it is well deserved. In addition, if you believe you can manage further responsibility I grant you the position of Master of Horse. I believe I have the power to grant the title, for I will hold the title of Lord High Marshall myself, at least for the time being.

Looking around the courtroom.

I do not see Lord Vata or Lord Andras. I hope they will join us here before we depart to war.

Bokony rises from his chair looking not at all too satisfied

"My king, I am grateful of you trust and approval, but wish to point out that Baia was officially appointed to me by our late king. Also Bessarabia is being ravaged as well as Brasovs outskirts, therefore my armies have already begun to march south to defend my own lands."

Looking to Demeter with measuring eyes
    "Demeter will be more than capable of holding Halych im certain, as my own lands are bordering trusted allies i will take all my strength south. But to do so i need compensation for my efforts, i was promised a "vast reward" for taking Halych by our late king. Money that would cover the cost of arming new men to replace all those lost in the bloody assaults and fighting to come."

As he was about to continue, a messanger arrives and after bowing to the king he quickly delivers a message to Bokony
    "Most interesting... Lithuania will not allow any Christians to enter their lands, not even envoys and we where turned back. Also...
    Peace have been brokered with the Cumans, given free passage they will leave our lands peacefully. All required is your signature my king,
    i will of course provide you with all the details but i humbly request you accept on my honor. They may be faithless and brutal, but they are not the savages they´re made out to be."
    Last edited by Mithridate; 04-01-2012 at 13:10.

The King raises an eyebrow. He is clearly angry, but it is not clear at whom...

Lord Huntpaznan, forgive me. It appears there is much to which my late cousin and yourself were privy which was not public knowledge. This will not be the case in future - assignations of land, orders and promises will be made public, that all can see the workings of state.

I have only your word that the late King promised you something in return for your assault on Halych...but I will accept it at that. Make your claim to my new treasurer - I will not be bound by my cousin's decisions, but as a sign of good faith I will consider it if it is reasonable.

As to peace with the Cumans I am amazed that you suggest we keep to the agreement! Those faithless dogs were clearly plotting the death of our King, my cousin, even as they negotiated with you! Sir, I urge you to assure me that for the honour of Hungary and for the memory of the late King, your liege but yesterday, you will ride at once into the steppe to burn their villages and slay them to a man in rightful vengeance!

Demeter bows to the King

Thank you, my liege. I swear that the Cumans will pay daring your predecessor. As soon as this council ends I will ride to Halych to assess the situation and begin putting an army together.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kerecse, who had arrived to the courtroom during the Kings speech and remained silent until now, bows to Bokeny..

I am honored for the trust You are showing to me and will defend our lands in Zagreb against any Venetian threat..

Bokony stands with a frown on his face

The Cumans have been honest thus far, from beginning to end. Besides what does we have to lose? Better to let them leave without bloodshed under the promise of peace, than to waste many good men wiping them out in the field where they have the advantage. My only true worry is that it will damage relations with the Kievans, as the Cumans will have to cross their lands.

The Cumans did not want this war, we have already taken their lands and proven their betters. They wish to return to their own lands and defend it from threat, accepting we will have to face two thousand less desperate Cumans out of whom most are elite soldiers!

The King's face goes purple and a vein throbs in his forehead. He opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by Istvan of Carniola, who places a steadying hand on Bokeny's shoulder and whispers something in his ear. The King nods and takes a deep breath. The colour leaves his face and he responds to the Groef of Brasov calmly, but still with barely suppressed irritation.

Lord Huntpaznan, do you mean to say that you do not believe the Cuman Khan had prior knowledge of the attack that killed our King? For that is the only reason I could conceive to let them leave our lands alive and unpunished as you suggest. Speak plainly in this matter, for you risk being misunderstood - and to be misunderstood by your King in a discussion of regicide is an immediate risk to your health.

As to the Rus, do they know of the plan or do you propose to allow two thousand battle-hardened steppe warriors to descend on the farmlands of our allies without their agreement?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    The King's face goes purple and a vein throbs in his forehead. He opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by Istvan of Carniola, who places a steadying hand on Bokeny's shoulder and whispers something in his ear. The King nods and takes a deep breath. The colour leaves his face and he responds to the Groef of Brasov calmly, but still with barely suppressed irritation.

Lord Huntpaznan, do you mean to say that you do not believe the Cuman Khan had prior knowledge of the attack that killed our King? For that is the only reason I could conceive to let them leave our lands alive and unpunished as you suggest. Speak plainly in this matter, for you risk being misunderstood - and to be misunderstood by your King in a discussion of regicide is an immediate risk to your health.

As to the Rus, do they know of the plan or do you propose to allow two thousand battle-hardened steppe warriors to descend on the farmlands of our allies without their agreement?

I do not believe they lay in wait for the king specifically, we have yet to hear the survivors story. My only interest is to preserve Hungarian lives and strength that could be used against the ERE.

The cumans are no longer a true threat to us and they know it, while the ERE and HRE remain major threats. I owe our late king much favor, he where most generous to me but i have already ravaged their lands and outed their families... I wish to end the bloodshed with them, and bring death to the ERE whom i believe to be guilty of arranging our kings death!

Looking to the fellow lords for reactions, Bokony continue

The kievans do not have to know the full story, all we have to do is warn them and they will take great pleasure in killing their enemies. Its also possible to demand that the Cumans does not ravage the land as they pass through, they will bring women and children with them.

I rather have two thousand enemies depart to die far away, than to fight them myself. Especially when theres a chance of a peaceful outcome, but it is your decition my king... My men and I will be ready to deal with them either way and I will show no mercy tho them.

Bokeny wearily bows before seating
    Last edited by Mithridate; 04-02-2012 at 01:24.

The King waves to Istvan.

The Groef of Brasov makes a good point - bring in the survivor that we might hear his story and question him.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To Huntpaznan.

While I agree that the Byzantines are likely behind this, if the Cumans allowed themselves to be the sword arm then they are equally culpable and shall be punished for it. We cannot have the world thinking that the King of the Magyar can be slain without consequence!

We shall see what the man has to say.

Demeter's face remained passive during the spirited discussion on the cumans, although some might notice a slight smile briefly pass his face during the King's assertion that the Cumans must be punished. During the next pause during the conversation he kneels towards his ruler.

My liege, I beg of you a boon. I would have the honor of tracking and defeating the Cuman forces fleeing our lands. If we take the army's leaders prisoner, it stands to reason that one or more of them might have been privy to the plot, or know of someone who was. If nothing else it may ensure as a lesson so that the next time some foreign ruler without the stones to attack us himself seeks to have a Magyar ruler slain, he will not be able to find any willing to act as his sword out of fear.

The King is mightily pleased.

You see, this is the kind of spirited reaction I was expecting from a noble of Hungary!

Lord Demeter, you shall certainly have the honour of tracking down and destroying the Cuman dogs - as Lord Huntpaznan seems not to have the stomach for it.

But let us first hear from this messenger before we make a final decision.

Bokonys face grows red in anger at the kings accusation

"This is all the faith you have in me and my people, as i have with the assistance of Vata, pushed our enemies not only from my own lands but their very own strongholds in the west!? It is thanks to my peoples blood that our borders have been increased immensely, that there will be no more raids from Cumans once their remnant forces have been outed! You call me a craven that have lost the stomach to fight? It is MY lands that are being harried by the enemy, MY people that are making sacrifices to keep your lands safe... "

"it was the will of your cousin, all of what i have done. Putting my lands at risk to make sure they would not threaten us again"

Gathering himself and glaring at demeter, Bokony raises his fist
    "My men are marching, and i am certain that WE will be the ones to put them down and not the remnants of Demeters forces, should the cumans linger.
    See to it that you do not lose the fortress that I have acquired for you before you make bold claims of victory over those who you barely fought off from your own walls!"

"Give the word, and the cumans will die. I have given my counsel, My king."
    Last edited by Mithridate; 04-02-2012 at 03:13.

Demeter rises.

Thank you, my liege.

He then turns towards Bokony and laughs.

There's the Magyar spirit! I approve, a man, especially a Magyar noble, should not such a challenge to his pride go unanswered. Nonetheless, sending us both might prove overkill in light of the need to also turn south to bring the fight to the mouth that ordered the Cuman hand to strike. I would prefer to go north myself but will gladly wreak vengeance on the so called Romans if it is our liege's wish.

The King also laughs heartily. Grinning, he stands, walks over to the Groef of Brasov and claps him on the back.

Indeed, Lord Huntpaznan I am glad to have awoken your fire! I meant no insult and I am glad to hear you are willing to apprehend the Cuman criminals if need be.

All our lands are threatened and we all must fight to defend Hungary - there are no safe harbours here and in the coming wars we shall all taste blood aplenty and sacrifice much.

As Demeter stated I may have better use of you in the South, let us hear from the messenger and we'll decide our next moves.

The man sent to retrieve the messenger returns to the courtroom, a dour expression on his face

M'lord, the man is dead.

I went to the surgeon and he seemed quite distressed. He said the man's wounds were severe, but should not have killed him. The surgeon was, in fact, quite certain that poison had done the killing. A poison administered within the last few hours while the man lay in bed.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 04-02-2012 at 06:34.

The King looks aggrieved.

Ach, poison! It looks more and more like we have a traitor in our midst, his pockets no doubt jangling with filthy Byzantine gold.

Istvan, send for the Wolf. I will have him investigate this matter and discover where the trail of blood leads...

To Demeter and Huntpaznan.

Lords of the north - I care not which of you performs this task but I will not have the Cumans leave our borders until we are sure of their innocence.

I instruct you to communicate to them that they will be detained while we investigate the death of our King Pozsony. You must use your armies to block their escape route and if they attempt to break free you have my permission to slay them to a man on the presumption of their guilt.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone wearing Cuman clothes does not make him a Cuman.. Also, they are not intelligent enough to pull off something like this. Looks like someone is trying to blame them for the death of Pozsony. And that someone could be a certain ruler in the south...

Still red faced and glaring, Bokony once again spoke up

"I have lost too much, to have taste for needless slaughter and this is not a deed of Cumans."

As he turned and left with Hahold, Ádám proclaimed that his lords would take their forces to Baia and carry out their orders before marching on Constantinople.
    Last edited by Mithridate; 04-02-2012 at 17:06.

The King leaves the chamber for a time to receive several messengers. When he returns, his face is grave.

Nobles of the Magyar, I have received dispiriting news from those who I tasked with investigating the King's death. It is beyond doubt that those who wielded the blades which killed him were Cumans, likely a group split from their larger force which now besieges Brasov. The killers fled to the East, taking with them the crown of Hungary.

We have not yet much information about who poisoned the messenger and silenced his tongue but I think it most likely it is the same person who arranged for the Cumans to ambush our King. The investigation will continue and I will provide updates as and when I have new information.

My Lords, I believe we should make war upon these Cuman scoundrels until they are subjugated to Magyar rule and no-longer pose a threat to us. With the strength of our armies, the valour of their commanders and the successes to date, thanks to Lords Huntpaznan and Demeter, I do not believe it will take us long to best them.

We can then turn our full attention to the menace to the South, the Byzantine greeks.

I myself will leave this coming campaign season to make war upon them and seize their citadel at Skopje. From thence I will proceed to seize Salonika, that pearl of the Aegean, before campaigning on the Peloponnese.

I will instruct Lord Vata to march south to join his forces with Lord Andras, who can, if he wishes, lead an expedition to seize Adrianople. Perhaps by then the armies of Lord Huntpaznan will be free to march on Constantinople and Andras can provide support.

Lords Demeter and Kerecse will defend our northern and western borders respectively. I will have use of them later when we are free to consider the recapture of our ancestral capital Esztergom from the accursed Germans.

I trust these war plans meet with your approval good Lords - I welcome your comment.

In addition to this I have been asked by the minor nobility to blockade the port at Corinth. I believe our only navy is that which is in the possession of Lord Huntpaznan.

Groef of Brasov, are you willing to send your fleet on this mission? And how goes your plan to relieve the siege of your city?
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 04-03-2012 at 04:43.

Ádám frowns and looks up from his scribing

Hahold is in charge of Brasov during Bokonys absense and he will have to make due with the garrison, perhaps aid can be given by Andras forces nearby albeit they are but few. We will have to put our hopes to the brave defenders and the competence of Hahold, young as he may be my lord have great faith in him.

Regarding the fleet, it is under Vatas control and since he is your vassal... they await your command. On that matter, we would be grateful if he could oversee the construction of border forts and watchtowers in Bessarabia as my lords are otherwise occupied. We ask your blessing in the matter and one year of Vatas time.

Ádám pulls out a torn perchment from his robe

Currently Vatas forces consist of merely a few units. He can scarcely field 100 Magyar and less than 500 infantry, we suggest that these men are put under our command so Vata whom is old and fragile can overlook the defense and management close to home. He has not been himself after the wounds contracted in the push towards Baia so this would give him time to rest while still greatly benefiting hungary,

Hahold would lead in his stead with any new levied conscripts that would otherwise have to remain in Baia and Brasov, all this will be done with your blessing my king?

The King responds to Adam.

For what purpose does your liege request Lord Vata's troops?

Leaving Istvan of Carniola in charge at court, the King leaves to campaign against the Byzantines in Macedonia. Some time later a rider arrives at Varad with a message from the King. Istvan reads it to those gathered at court.

Nobles of Hungary, King Bokeny and his forces have captured the Byzantine fortress of Skopje, assaulting the castle with the assistance of Magyar agents ensconced within. Buoyed by his success he has pressed on towards Salonika with the intention of seizing that city too.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 04-03-2012 at 11:40.

To fight the enemies of Hungary of course, namely the vile byzantines!

They will march alongside our own men and be stand in reserve, being kept away from most of the fighting if possible as they where during Bokonys Cuman campaign.
    The offer was that any abnormal casualties would be compensated financially while minor losses would not. An effective deal if i may say so, most beneficial to both parties.

Istvan of Carniola, bearing the King's crest, responds to Adam.

Sir, the King is of a mind to allow Lord Andras the opportunity to use Lord Vata and his army for an attack on Adrianople.

However, should the good Groef of Sofia not stake his claim before your liege is ready to march on Constantinople, you may instruct Lord Vata's army to follow your lead.

I believe the King has corresponded with your Lord privately on the matter, however I should note there is no need to keep them out of the fighting - let them take full part in any battle that they may do their liege and country honour! Neither is there need for compensation for any losses.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast